Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

There was even an Adachi event held by fans recently.

E: Warning: contains Yu/Adachi material and game spoilers.
http://digifreaks.tumblr.com/post/78542226324/behold-the-power-of-the-fans-source-1-2-so-the

Dehry fucked around with this message at 14:14 on May 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Adachi is loving hilarious and I loved the chance to hang out with the biggest slacker ever. Oh Tohru-chan please eat my rice cakes

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Adachi is Hella ExcellentTM and the ability to hang with him is the best part of Golden, true fact.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I managed to clear Kanji's dungeon on the first day it was made available. I blew through every single soul item i had, as well as all my tap soda. However those little tomatoes were so key. Does this just mean i get a bunch of extra days to just hangout with people?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

UberJumper posted:

I managed to clear Kanji's dungeon on the first day it was made available. I blew through every single soul item i had, as well as all my tap soda. However those little tomatoes were so key. Does this just mean i get a bunch of extra days to just hangout with people?

Yep! Good job.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The incentive to clear dungeons immediately is that it frees up your party members for Social Linking.

KoB
May 1, 2009

UberJumper posted:

Dungeons tie up your friends with being all WE SHOULD GO SAVE THE PERSON instead of bro-ing out with you. So beating it quickly frees them up to hang.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Specifically, they won't hang out with you if you are investigating someone (i.e. you have to search for clues on Kanji so that Teddie can find his dungeon). After you gather enough clues and enter the TV world and enter the dungeon, I believe in theory you could leave and the next day your party members would let you work on S. Links again. It's just that you've already entered the TV world, so why not try to beat the dungeon while you are there?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

MrAristocrates posted:

The incentive to clear dungeons immediately is that it frees up your party members for Social Linking.

It also frees up Dojima and Adachi.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
What the gently caress? I was exploring Yukiko's castle doing side quests, and i opened a chest after teddy told me not to. The guy one shotted my entire party doing around 3000 damage. :wtc:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

UberJumper posted:

What the gently caress? I was exploring Yukiko's castle doing side quests, and i opened a chest after teddy told me not to. The guy one shotted my entire party doing around 3000 damage. :wtc:

To be fair, you were warned.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
While I normally don't advocate listening to anything Teddie says, that chest thing is an exception.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Hellioning posted:

To be fair, you were warned.

True.

Adachi's SLink just oozes akwardness. Also Kanji is amazing, can i just never talk to or use yosuke again?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You can totally do that and no one will judge you.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

UberJumper posted:

True.

Adachi's SLink just oozes akwardness. Also Kanji is amazing, can i just never talk to or use yosuke again?

If you're completely willing to pick up the slack with Wind attacks, then yeah sure.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

MrAristocrates posted:

You can totally do that and no one will judge you.

I will. Yosuke is my bro, and I love him (no homo)

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Eh, he's a good kid. If he could stop putting his foot in his mouth, of course. And he's a red mage archetype done well, so he's always useful.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The trouble with Yosuke is that his rear end in a top hat moments are all in mandatory group scenes, and his cool moments are in B-side Social Links that you might not even be able to find or start on your first playthrough.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm fine with Yosuke, it's just that Kanji is the loving best.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I happily ditched Yosuke after his shenanigans during the camping trip and went with Chie, Kanji and Yukiko for the rest of the game. You don't have to use everyone, and you kinda can't, really...

Griptape
Feb 22, 2013
Yosuke is a pretty cool dude about 95% of the time. It's just that he's so stupid in that other 5% that it makes it really hard to remember all the time's he's not a massive tool.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Yosuke suffers from SLink alter ego syndrome which is a common problem in this game. That's okay though. Dude is a teenager and thus a certain degree of dumb but he's a fundamentally good person who sticks by his friends. Also he's directly responsible for Operation Babe Hunt 2.0 so

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.
I can't really forgive Yosuke for his actions in the end game. MAJOR SPOILER DO NOT TOUCH IF NOT COMPLETE WITH THE GAMEI get that he's wound up and all, but wanting to kill some guy that they don't know much of anything about over some girl that he himself admits he didn't even care that much is just too brash for me to regard it as simply "oh, boys will be boys."

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Prozach posted:

I can't really forgive Yosuke for his actions in the end game. MAJOR SPOILER DO NOT TOUCH IF NOT COMPLETE WITH THE GAMEI get that he's wound up and all, but wanting to kill some guy that they don't know much of anything about over some girl that he himself admits he didn't even care that much is just too brash for me to regard it as simply "oh, boys will be boys."

Think about what had transpired immediately before, though.

His best friend's cousin appeared have just died as a result of Namatame's actions, and there realistically was nowhere near enough substantial proof to secure a conviction for the murders (there's basically 0 doubt he'd get nailed on kidnapping, though). As far as they knew, Namatame was going to walk for the killings.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah, that's a pretty short-sighted way of looking at it.

The situation is basically that Namatame had killed a little girl, showed literally no indication that what he had done was wrong, and was going to be cleared of all charges, at which point he could easily resume killing people because of the whole super-natural aspect of it all.

I mean, yes, that's not what the actual situation ends up being, but it's not exactly a crazy reaction.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Prozach posted:

Well, It wasn't about Saki, not entirely, it was also about Nanako. She was a little kid who he tried to save but couldn't, and he was wound up and tired and absolutely everything was pointing to Namatame, Namatame even 'confessed' right in front of them, and they knew there was no way they could hold him accountable for what he'd done due to the weirdness of the situation.

Under that situation, the idea popping into his head is pretty reasonable. The fact that he can be talked out of it with just a few words says he probably didn't think it was that great an idea to begin with, he was just angry.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

His best friend's cousin appeared have just died as a result of Namatame's actions, and there realistically was nowhere near enough substantial proof to secure a conviction for the murders (there's basically 0 doubt he'd get nailed on kidnapping, though). As far as they knew, Namatame was going to walk for the killings.

Uh yeah I'm with the King on this one.

Yosukes reaction had VERY little to do with Saki. Nanako, an innocent child whom he loved earnestly, had just DIED while he watched powerless to stop it and the man responsible appeared to be giggling like a nutter about how he was going to get away with it.

gently caress no I don't blame him for losing his poo poo.

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's not up to Yosuke to resort to vigilantism in the name of his friend if his friend is perfectly capable of handling the situation himself. Only two people in that room actually considered murder. For Kanji, it's more forgivable for him to feel that way, because he's Kanji and naturally in "I'm gonna beat someone up" mode at all times. Yosuke, though, he spent the greater part of that scene basically searching for validation for his actions, whining about how it wasn't fair, and trying to convert the girls into not judging him for committing murder because "it would be an easy solution".

e. vvvvv I forgot, Naoto the Cop was suggesting it as well, too.

Prozach fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 17, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't really mind that Yosuke got pissed and angry, everyone should be. It's the fact he jumped straight to wanting to murder the dude despite the fact it's not really his decision to make and everyone around him is very clearly distressed. You then have to constantly talk him down until the point where yelling at him is the only way to shut him the gently caress up and stop him from attempting to take the life of another person. It does not loving help that Kanji is egging him on and Naoto decides she needs to point out there is a murder weapon they cannot be incriminated with DESPITE BEING A loving OFFICER OF THE LAW (Or as close to one as she can be). It doesn't help he's constantly disregarding your opinion despite the fact it's your loving cousin who died and uncle who also almost died which comes off as very lovely of him.

It's a lovely situation where everyone was mad as hell, but it going to that point is pretty loving bad. I hate that scene every time I rewatch it because it's so annoying to get through both from a gameplay perspective and from the perspective of someone just watching the story.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

They're sixteen year old kids from the boonies. They aren't equipped to handle that situation emotionally. Of course they're gonna react in weird or wrong ways. They're dumbass kids who are of the mind that a blood of a little girl is partially on their hands, since they failed to save her when she was right in front of her. And honestly, trying to be validated and whining are both pretty human reactions - people are hardwired to try and convince themselves and others that they're blameless.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Lets get real here about one fact:

There's nothing wrong with vigilantism fundamentally. If Adachi hadn't conveniently decided he was morally and spiritually beaten and confessed to the cops there was gently caress all anybody coulda done to stop him. If he'd continued to resist to the bitter end the right call would have been to feed him his own gun.

REITERATION UBERJUMPER DONT READ ANY OF THIS

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

Endorph posted:

They're sixteen year old kids from the boonies. They aren't equipped to handle that situation emotionally. Of course they're gonna react in weird or wrong ways. They're dumbass kids who are of the mind that a blood of a little girl is partially on their hands, since they failed to save her when she was right in front of her. And honestly, trying to be validated and whining are both pretty human reactions - people are hardwired to try and convince themselves and others that they're blameless.

That still didn't stop ditzy Chie from rationalizing that "Hey, y'know, murder is pretty hosed up no matter the situation, so why don't you hold off on that?" If she can determine that while suffering from the same state of mind, then it can't really be considered a teen thing to just resort to violence. It was an inherent desire in Yosuke's character himself, which I thought was pretty gruesome.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Not to mention it's kind of weird to say to say that's "okay for Kanji because it's more forgivable for him to feel that way, because he's Kanji and naturally in "I'm gonna beat someone up"". I mean, Yosuke is behold not to be a murdering rear end and Kanji isn't? Same for Naoto, who's supposed to be the most cool headed member of the team.

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

Iceclaw posted:

Not to mention it's kind of weird to say to say that's "okay for Kanji because it's more forgivable for him to feel that way, because he's Kanji and naturally in "I'm gonna beat someone up"". I mean, Yosuke is behold not to be a murdering rear end and Kanji isn't? Same for Naoto, for supposed to be the most cool headed member of the team.

By that, I meant that it's much more likely, and arguably expected, for him to want to fight violence with violence. If Kanji goes out and says they need to teach this guy a lesson, you can chalk it up to Kanji getting into the heat of the moment again. It's still a character flaw, but not one that shatters one's perception of the character and immediately makes him a villain. On the other hand, Yosuke suddenly getting into a murder-y kinda feeling is a really dark turn in his character, especially considering he's the one who spearheaded that side of the argument.

I'll agree with you that Naoto joining in is also pretty screwed up

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Prozach posted:

That still didn't stop ditzy Chie from rationalizing that "Hey, y'know, murder is pretty hosed up no matter the situation, so why don't you hold off on that?" If she can determine that while suffering from the same state of mind, then it can't really be considered a teen thing to just resort to violence. It was an inherent desire in Yosuke's character himself, which I thought was pretty gruesome.

Oh come on this is a silly post. Saying something is not only plausible but probable does not mean all involved parties must have that reaction.

Chie not being down with murder doesn't disprove anything

I mean you're literally saying "Aha but a trend isn't 100% therefore there is no trend check mate statistics :smug:"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Uhh, people have different personalities and different levels of anger. One person reacting well to an extreme situation does not mean reacting badly means it is an inherent desire of yours. Yosuke is not a murderer, he's just an angry, stubborn, somewhat self-important kid. Like Yosuke says himself, a lot of his participation in the Investigation Team comes down to wanting to feed his ego. Self-importance is his character flaw. He wants to feel important, wants to feel like a hero. Here is someone who is plainly a villain, who will never be caught by 'normal means,' has just mocked and insulted them, and has just killed a small child. He immediately jumps on it, because he wants to feel important. He wants to save people, he wants to do what has to be done, he wants to kill this guy because he deserves it, and he wants to 'avenge' Nanako. Tragedy and anger often bring out the worst in people. This does not mean Yosuke is actually a bad person, or that he would murder someone just to feel important at any time, but his anger and frustration have exacerbated his preexisting character flaws. It's not excusable, no, but at the same time he's a dumb kid dealing with something absolutely terrible.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
The way I see it is that Kanji gets pissed off pretty easily over the smallest poo poo, so seeing him going for murder in a moment of passion isn't too much of a stretch for me. Yosuke has been getting poo poo on constantly over the course of the year (even though most of it is his fault) so this is probably his breaking point. Naoto, I can't get a bead on; that was really out-of-character of her.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
To be fair to her, Naoto didn't make her feelings known one way or the other, but her advocating them by pointing out the TV was really hosed up. Like they probably would've figured it was there anyways, but still that could've at least bought a few more minutes for someone to talk them down.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Prozach posted:

By that, I meant that it's much more likely, and arguably expected, for him to want to fight violence with violence. If Kanji goes out and says they need to teach this guy a lesson, you can chalk it up to Kanji getting into the heat of the moment again. It's still a character flaw, but not one that shatters one's perception of the character and immediately makes him a villain. On the other hand, Yosuke suddenly getting into a murder-y kinda feeling is a really dark turn in his character, especially considering he's the one who spearheaded that side of the argument.

I'll agree with you that Naoto joining in is also pretty screwed up

Where does that breaks Yosuke's character, though? He was from the get go the most determined to get the culprit, whatever the cost, and has a track record for acting under the spur of the moment as well, even when a few seconds of thinking would tell him it's a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Orgia Carnaval posted:

To be fair to her, Naoto didn't make her feelings known one way or the other, but her advocating them by pointing out the TV was really hosed up. Like they probably would've figured it was there anyways, but still that could've at least bought a few more minutes for someone to talk them down.

I dunno, I guess time spent with the group wasn't enough for her to really get to know them or some poo poo. It's the weirdest part of the scene for me and if anyone has a really good idea about it, I'd like to see it because, seriously what the hell.

• Locked thread