Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yes, this.

Who are you weirdos who never leave butter out?

I always have one stick out. When it gets to a small amount left, the next stick comes out. Always have soft butter for spreading on bread, toast, rolls, etc...

Some people just don't go through butter fast enough. Like was said, it keeps at least a week at room temperature, you just need to refrigerate/freeze it for long-term storage. I go through a stick of butter like every few days because bread and toast with butter are some of the best foods ever.

Though I've also had people look at my butter dish with confusion. Why yes, they do make nice little glass things that fit a stick of butter perfectly so you can keep your butter soft. Hard, cold butter is really goddamned hard to spread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

I've rekindled my love for the best breakfast meat: scrapple. Dinner is now 4 sunny side up eggs and scrapple for the foreseeable future since I can never get up in time for an actual breakfast.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

VendaGoat posted:

Seriously? Who are these people that refrigerate Peanut Butter?

I don't know but they sure as poo poo don't use plasticware to spread it. Unless they enjoy eating peanut butter with bits of shattered plastic knives mixed in.

Brakleen kills bugs rather nicely, it does melt some paints and most plastics though so be careful.

I find the idea of mixing a white russian in a chocolate rabbit so compelling I'm going to need to try using it as a bowl for captain crunch or another similar cereal now.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
Actually, Brainworm, I think most of that can be contributed to the rise in hipster culture. Especially the "reclaimed wood coffee table" part.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Scrapple is the best of all the breakfast meats. It doesn't get enough love from people not from the Mid-Atlantic (honestly seems like mostly a MD thing)
And the only peanut butter that should be in the fridge is that organic stuff and government peanut butter- that poo poo separates as soon as it gets to room temp.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Brainworm posted:

So. Recently divorced and experiencing a late-30s second bachelorhood. Here's what's changed since I was a 20s bachelor:

• People just bring me food. Like they're offering up sacrifices to the local volcano god, except the sacrifices are casseroles and pies. This has been going on for a solid month.
  • Aging invests bachelor living with some kind of romantic quality. For instance, I'm sleeping on a living-room cot because I'm refinishing my upstairs floors, and women find this situation compelling instead of repulsive.
  • Likewise, answering the door at ten in the morning, beer in hand, with two days' stubble and a sawdust-covered t-shirt is apparently "handsome" instead of "alcoholic."
  • I drink like a Cherry Hill pensioner. Think chilled white zinfandel and Grand Marnier. It's refreshing.
  • Buying fancy ingredients takes any bachelor meal from desperation to elegance. Miller Lite, Kraft singles, and raisins is a ingeniously lazy way of working with limited options. Pinot, Tillamook, and dried fruit, on the other hand, is equally lazy and somehow tasteful.
  • Furniture made form recycled and repurposed material is somehow also makes me refined and compelling instead of a borderline dirtball scavenger. This coffee table I made from reclaimed barn timbers? Compelling. The coffee table I made from shipping palettes when I was 20? Dirtball.

TL;DR: the same things that make you a loser when you're 20 make you a stellar human being when you're near 40. Stick with it, kids.

I recognize your situation from personal experience. People aren't treating you better as an old bachelor because you're somehow cooler than a 20 year old bachelor. It's because they've given up on you and don't want to say anything negative for fear of finding your brains on the wall the next day. They're bringing you food as an advance on your own wake.

Trust me, once you clean up and get a girlfriend, not a day will pass before everyone you know hurredly confesses relief. They will bluntly tell you about how disgusting you were. You'll say, "I thought I was rugged and interesting! Why didn't you say something?" They'll say, "Because we thought you'd kill yourself and thought you knew that you smelled like whiskey vomit and hot garbage but just didn't care."

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Shower 40 oz completed. Night is still young, will probably make some noodles with hoisin and shove some beef I stole from my mother on Mother's day in there.

I legitimately have to go to the store whenever I have to bake, just for butter because that poo poo is disgusting when not used for sweets alchemy.

I only use sesame oil, which I buy in bulk because it makes everything taste better.

On another note, good ideas for a 21st birthday when you have only work friends? Moving drains bday parties :(

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Lifehack:
I've had the battery cover falling off of my 5 year old cell phone for months now. Some of the little plastic bits broke off, and it won't stay. I used 3 beads of adhesive shower caulk I found in the garage today and nailed that sucker down.

Bachelor:
Wife and baby are out of town for two weeks. I had bacon, eggs, and really hot salsa for dinner today. I made, like 3 weeks worth of meat sauce for pasta earlier in the week which has been my lunch every day. Maybe I'll boil up some corned beef this weekend and have corned beef everything (hash for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch, and corned beef/cabbage/potatoes for dinner)

(it's still pretty lonely though) :smith:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

VendaGoat posted:

Seriously? Who are these people that refrigerate Peanut Butter?

Me. If you buy the all-natural stuff without emulsifiers and whatever poo poo, it will separate at room temperature which is a huge PIA. Refrigerating fixes that

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

canyoneer posted:

Lifehack:
I've had the battery cover falling off of my 5 year old cell phone for months now. Some of the little plastic bits broke off, and it won't stay. I used 3 beads of adhesive shower caulk I found in the garage today and nailed that sucker down.

Bachelor:
Wife and baby are out of town for two weeks. I had bacon, eggs, and really hot salsa for dinner today. I made, like 3 weeks worth of meat sauce for pasta earlier in the week which has been my lunch every day. Maybe I'll boil up some corned beef this weekend and have corned beef everything (hash for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch, and corned beef/cabbage/potatoes for dinner)

(it's still pretty lonely though) :smith:

The gently caress? Are you me? I literally just did this when my wife and son were gone. Even down to the corned beef. It's pretty awesome, huh?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Oh yeah, hot bath and cold beer. House all to me. Life is good. Now to watch grown men fake fight.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
I wanted everyone to gently caress off so I could have the house and my thoughts to myself for a while and now that I have my wish I just feel like lovely loser and can't drink due to medication. When are the endorphins from a dinner consisting mainly of beans and sausage supposed to kick in?

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
Blocked an ant hole with some chewing gum today. The simple solutions are the best.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

AlternateAccount posted:

Me. If you buy the all-natural stuff without emulsifiers and whatever poo poo, it will separate at room temperature which is a huge PIA. Refrigerating fixes that

Well I guess that makes me the rear end in a top hat then. I have a jar of the natural stuff and am under the impression that the oil that separates keeps it fresh.

Also, when I eat a PB&J with it, I make sure to keep my pinky extended, like the classy gent I am.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Teddles posted:

Blocked an ant hole with some chewing gum today. The simple solutions are the best.

My boat once sprung a leak in the middle of a 5-hour leg of the journey. I chewed up two sticks of gum, stuck it in, and held it with my boot for the rest of the trip.

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
:spooky:
A friend just had a brilliant idea: "Dude, why don't we make vodka ice cubes?!--That way, when the ice melts, the drink won't be all watered down! :downs: "

Stay in school, kids.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You can, and I have. You just have to use liquid nitrogen to freeze it.

Oh, and they most definitely will stick to your lips and give you frostbite. Careful.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

kastein posted:

You can, and I have. You just have to use liquid nitrogen to freeze it.

Oh, and they most definitely will stick to your lips and give you frostbite. Careful.

Pimpin' new av you've got there, pal.

Bachelor Friday engaged: tobacco, Laphroig, trousers off, watching nerdy films.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

whatshesaid posted:

A friend just had a brilliant idea: "Dude, why don't we make vodka ice cubes?!--That way, when the ice melts, the drink won't be all watered down! :downs: "

Stay in school, kids.

Beer cubes works wonders for warm beer. Vodka doesnt freeze, as been mentioned, and watered down vodka defeats the purpose. Ice cube shot glasses are the way to go.

drinking Bloody Mary's listening to music as loud as I can in my new house as a bachelor owns.

edit: Been a Bachelor, decided to buy a house instead of pay rent.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

JEEVES420 posted:

Beer cubes works wonders for warm beer. Vodka doesnt freeze, as been mentioned, and watered down vodka defeats the purpose. Ice cube shot glasses are the way to go.

drinking Bloody Mary's listening to music as loud as I can in my new house as a bachelor owns.

edit: Been a Bachelor, decided to buy a house instead of pay rent.

Or those whisky stone things — lumps of stone you freeze. I'll often order a single malt and a separate tumbler with just ice in it when I'm at a pub, so I can dunk the ice for thirty seconds and then pull it out again. Does the 'chill slightly' and 'drop of water' in one fell swoop.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Jeherrin posted:

Or those whisky stone things — lumps of stone you freeze. I'll often order a single malt and a separate tumbler with just ice in it when I'm at a pub, so I can dunk the ice for thirty seconds and then pull it out again. Does the 'chill slightly' and 'drop of water' in one fell swoop.
I was going to write :words: about whiskey stones, but The Worst Things for Sale wrote everything I wanted to say about specific heat capacity.

If you must get something, get reusable ice cubes, which are basically water sealed in plastic. They may look stupid, but they have the phase change that something needs to be truly effective at cooling.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Zemyla posted:

I was going to write :words: about whiskey stones, but The Worst Things for Sale wrote everything I wanted to say about specific heat capacity.

If you must get something, get reusable ice cubes, which are basically water sealed in plastic. They may look stupid, but they have the phase change that something needs to be truly effective at cooling.

Interesting! I've never used them (because :effort:) but that's a good read. Science: 1; pretentious wankers: 0.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
Just give in to your inner redneck and get one of these:

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I think tonight is a big jug of sangria. A bag of twizzlers and all the entertainment the internet can give me. All by candle light, for that classy atmosphere.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Tonight is Bourbon and drunkchat. Come join us: https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/gw6hsg4pnzlw7cplqb43wjtnd4a?authuser=0&hl=en

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'm curious. How do the rest of the bachelor crowd prevent drunk texting? Or do you just embrace it and let it ride?

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007

TheKingslayer posted:

I'm curious. How do the rest of the bachelor crowd prevent drunk texting? Or do you just embrace it and let it ride?

Let it happen, man.. I go full-on retard via drunk texts. I need it to *balance out my massively weighty, superior intellect.

*these are the things I tell myself.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

TheKingslayer posted:

Comedy option: get too drunk to text.

Serious answer: I don't know. I've not done it in years...

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

TheKingslayer posted:

I'm the most sensible drunk there ever was without the trade off of terrible memory but I suggest hiding your phone so well you'll have trouble finding it sober.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Come hangout nerdlords https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/gw6hsg4pnzlw7cplqb43wjtnd4a

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

TheKingslayer posted:

I would write a note that says "NO TEXTING" and put it ontop of my phone. Sometimes it works, other times I get too chatty and just have to tell my friends I'm drunk off my rear end and watching The Sandlot.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Jeherrin posted:

The metal ones work well.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Jeherrin posted:

Pimpin' new av you've got there, pal.

Bachelor Friday engaged: tobacco, Laphroig, trousers off, watching nerdy films.

I got avatar'd twice in one day by some butthurt idiot after I proved them wrong and they got probated. You're welcome for the :20bux:, lowtax :v:

I should probably get out of bed sometime instead of just internetting on my phone. There is a broken truck and a case of hard cider outside waiting for my attention.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

whatshesaid posted:

Let it happen, man.. I go full-on retard via drunk texts. I need it to *balance out my massively weighty, superior intellect.

*these are the things I tell myself.

It's true. She does. :D

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I prefer to drunk snapchat and/or drunk irc, because I only have crazy bachelor/bachelorette degenerate types on those and therefore I'm not going to wake up to disappointed/irate messages from old college and my parents/grandparents.

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007

10 Beers posted:

It's true. She does. :D

No harm, no foul.

Tonight is my graduation for nursing, but I'm not going because I'm just too cool for that. Actually it's because I've already done it, twice. My family's need to see me graduate has already been satisfied.
I just ate chips and salsa for lunch. (breakfast, if we're being totally honest; I've only been up for a couple hours)
I think I'll clean house a bit and put in a couple more applications today so I don't feel totally useless. I really need to get an offer soon.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
I finally finished my last final for the semester and have the next week off from work due to some fancy mishandling of the truth.
The next 5 days shall be spent in a near-permanent drunken haze devoid of clothes eating terrible food and watching terrible funny things.
I think I'll start by marathoning MXC while I finish the last 3 quarts I have of mint lemon tea to get a jumpstart on the almost certain liver damage.
Godspeed gentlemen.
:cheers:

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
Although it may seem like common sense, it is particularly relevant to me right now--a bachelor warning: If you have a string of days off and can sleep as late as you wish, take note of when you next have to get up and do poo poo so the morning before, you know to get up at a reasonable time. If you don't, the insomnia will be maddening. Take heed to this advice! :supaburn:

chickie nugs for brekkie
May 17, 2010
After a particularly bad breakup I curbed my drunk text desires by asking the bartender for a glass of plain water. My phone lived in that while I got housed. Don't do this. Go Phones are terrible.

Content:
I just spent my tax return on a bunch of furniture for my apartment, including a side table with a metal top. One pint glass, epoxy and some small magnets later and I have a cat-proof beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Rysithusiku posted:

I finally finished my last final for the semester and have the next week off from work due to some fancy mishandling of the truth.
The next 5 days shall be spent in a near-permanent drunken haze devoid of clothes eating terrible food and watching terrible funny things.
I think I'll start by marathoning MXC while I finish the last 3 quarts I have of mint lemon tea to get a jumpstart on the almost certain liver damage.
Godspeed gentlemen.
:cheers:

Please tell me where you're watching World's Most eXtreme Elimination Challenge at, I need it in my life

• Locked thread