Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Hobo de los Muertos posted:

So, I spent hours breeding to get a perfect 6IV Yamask with egg moves. My chosen build includes Pain Split in the moveset. Now I realize that I overlooked Pain Split being a B/W2 Move Tutor learned move for Cofagrigus.

So, does anyone know of viable way to remedy my situation? Is it possible to transfer Pokemon from X/Y to B/W2? Can Pain Split ever be inherited as an egg move? Any ideas for how I can preserve my originally intended moveset?

I'm sorry, but you're screwed. I have the same problem except without the time wasted in breeding. I want a tailwind Emolga and pain split for Rotom. Both are tutor moves fortunatly I found out in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Alright, kind of a basic question, but I'm just going to ask because I'm starting to lose my patience. White 2, first World Tournament battle, I can't beat Hugh for the life of me even though most guides claim it's easy.

Level 33 Servile, 26 Magnemite, 25 Tranquill somehow just can't get the job done against Pokemon they have type advantages and (in 2 out of 3 cases) level advantage. Pignite usually destroys Tranquill which would normally be fine, but somehow Simipour's Scald burns every time it's used on Servile (so far) and can do in Magnemite in one hit, leaving a half health, burned Servile to lose to Tranquill. Is there something I'm missing about doing WT battles? "Just grind" seems like it doesn't address the issue because I had just finished beating Clay handily.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Yeah your choice of Pokemon is just unfortunate since Pignite really smacks them about. But Scald is only a 30% chance, so Servine should get lucky one of these days. Or, catch something else from nearby and train that a bit, like a Ducklett, that should take care of Pignite pretty handily and help against the rest of the Tournament.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Can't you catch a Solosis on route 5? A psychic type should do well against pignite. Solosis can have magic guard too, which is a crazy good ability.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Alright, I'll look into those. I thought Tranquill being flying would be good enough, but Take Down is pretty strong. I should try giving it Fly though, maybe that will help.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
So, today I learned that transfer-only moves don't get passed down via breeding. :saddowns: Which means if I want to use Salamance/Sylveon on my team, I need to not only breed them on Gen 5, (without the amazing breeding mechanics that guarantee near-perfect stats every single time) but I also need to get shards on BW2. Which is a royal pain in the rear end.

Dammit Nintendo, why must you make us wait for move tutors? Why do you withhold them until the 3rd version of the game? And why the hell do you make using them such a god damned chore? Let me pay the drat move tutors with the huge amount of money that I have by the post-game! :argh:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

carry on then posted:

Alright, I'll look into those. I thought Tranquill being flying would be good enough, but Take Down is pretty strong. I should try giving it Fly though, maybe that will help.

Tranquil's line isn't really good at all. Since you're playing White 2, go to the desert ruins on Monday and you can catch a Braviary; a much better Normal/Flying type.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
I missed having Staraptor available in the campaign. That thing loving wrecked poo poo in DPP. Talonflame is a shitwrecker too, but less so in the single player because its level-up movepool sucks and no Gale Wings.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Sade posted:

I missed having Staraptor available in the campaign. That thing loving wrecked poo poo in DPP. Talonflame is a shitwrecker too, but less so in the single player because its level-up movepool sucks and no Gale Wings.

You can catch Staravia right between Geosenge Town and Reflection Cave.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Yeah, I picked one of those up to be my Fly slave until I could get Hydreigon on Victory Road in X.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I got a Talonflame with Gale Wing very early on via wonder trade and didn't realize how awesome it was for awhile.

Wonder trade really turned things upside down from what I was used to in these games.

E: not a Talonflame but whatever the cute little guy it evolves from is.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!
If you're going to the desert, just get Scraggy and steamroll the game. Forget replacing Tranquill, pants lizard will give this team the HJK power it needs. :smug:

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Cerony posted:

You can catch Staravia right between Geosenge Town and Reflection Cave.

Would have been nice to know like 8 months ago!!!

That's what I get for trying to go through the singleplayer blind.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
nvm

dungeon cousin fucked around with this message at 08:51 on May 17, 2014

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Blaziken386 posted:

Dammit Nintendo, why must you make us wait for move tutors? Why do you withhold them until the 3rd version of the game?

To get you to buy said third version.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Plus there's no guarantee that the next move tutors will have the same moves as the gen 5 move tutors. "Oh you want Hyper Voice on your Sylveon or Gardevoir? Too bad here's a move tutor for Wring Out instead :haw:".

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012

Starsnostars posted:

Plus there's no guarantee that the next move tutors will have the same moves as the gen 5 move tutors. "Oh you want Hyper Voice on your Sylveon or Gardevoir? Too bad here's a move tutor for Wring Out instead :haw:".

Nothing beats having String Shot as a Move Tutor. I'd love to see Softboiled as a Move Tutor again, Clefable's just not the same.

At least previously the Dream World could be used to distribute certain moves, like how they slapped Sleep Talk onto Smeargle before it was available as a tutor.

By the way, Swagger+Foul Play+Thunder Wave Klefki is proving to be incredibly annoying. Any tips on how to take it out easily? I thought of Slowbro with Flamethrower, but Foul Play ruins that plan.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Move tutors are event only and never released outside Japan. :unsmigghh:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

PumpkinBat posted:

Nothing beats having String Shot as a Move Tutor. I'd love to see Softboiled as a Move Tutor again, Clefable's just not the same.

At least previously the Dream World could be used to distribute certain moves, like how they slapped Sleep Talk onto Smeargle before it was available as a tutor.

By the way, Swagger+Foul Play+Thunder Wave Klefki is proving to be incredibly annoying. Any tips on how to take it out easily? I thought of Slowbro with Flamethrower, but Foul Play ruins that plan.

Try a physical attacker with a lum berry?

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
Or Magnezone

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

As a joke, I've been training my team from back in Emerald as I would have them now, and that means breeding a Shedinja. I bred Nincadas against my 6IV ditto simply because I needed a naughty nature for my Shedinja. Once I finally got the Nincada, I checked it's IVs... Perfect 6IV. Such a waste given that Shedinja can only use three of them. :suicide:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Hey, at least you get a sweet Ninjask out of the deal too!

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Does anyone know of a good primer for getting into doubles battling? I've always done singles but no one ever wants to play singles so I give up.

General tips would be helpful too. Should I just look for stupid broken combos on youtube and then build a team around one of those? Do I literally just take my singles pokemon and put protect on them?

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 17, 2014

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Ignite Memories posted:

Do I literally just take my singles pokemon and put protect on them?

If you have a really solid Singles team, this might actually be the quickest and easiest way to dip your toe in the water until you get a feel for the different sort of priorities that exist in a Doubles game. :v:

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Am I the first person in the world to get this to work? I can't find anyone else confirming it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Am I the first person in the world to get this to work? I can't find anyone else confirming it.

Isn't that the weird capsule in B/W1 that holds TM95 (snarl)?

God that was pointless. Its not even a good TM.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Yeah, exactly that, but all sources I can find say that it was dummied out and doesn't work even when hacked in. Guess they didn't hack it in correctly!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Yeah, I tried it but needed the Wonder Card, so I just went eh. Enjoy your reward!

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
More progress on the Japanese dex! The only 2 non-legendaries I need now are Politoed and Porygon-Z. Total 696 Japanese dex entries.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Hammerite posted:

More progress on the Japanese dex! The only 2 non-legendaries I need now are Politoed and Porygon-Z. Total 696 Japanese dex entries.

You can just fish for a Politoed on Kalos route 19. Didn't take me particularly long.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

He's trying to specifically get a Japanese one.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Am I the first person in the world to get this to work?
Can you get screencaps of the clown in Castelia unlocking it?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Crosscontaminant posted:

Can you get screencaps of the clown in Castelia unlocking it?

Figured someone would want that.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 17, 2014

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I got an Adamant 5IV Eevee in wondertrade. I guess it's someone's breeding leftovers.

What would be a good build/evolution for an Adamant typing?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

I got an Adamant 5IV Eevee in wondertrade. I guess it's someone's breeding leftovers.

Does it have any egg moves of note?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

SirPhoebos posted:

Enjoy your Flareon. Or Leafeon if you want something that's not a joke(it's better with Jolly, though).

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

For all that fanfare, you'd expect at least Earthquake or a Legendary move. Somebody was very proud of this terrible move.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Cool, thanks very much.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Widestancer posted:

I got a Talonflame with Gale Wing very early on via wonder trade and didn't realize how awesome it was for awhile.

Wonder trade really turned things upside down from what I was used to in these games.

E: not a Talonflame but whatever the cute little guy it evolves from is.

Even Flame Body Talonflame is great for single-player. The ability proc'd surprisingly often, which reduced whatever challenge their was into a charred cakewalk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

SirPhoebos posted:

Even Flame Body Talonflame is great for single-player. The ability proc'd surprisingly often, which reduced whatever challenge their was into a charred cakewalk.

Plus once you get to postgame, you can throw Fly on it to easily go back and forth between the day care and the stats judge. Faster egg hatching and quick travel in one is really convenient.

• Locked thread