Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Holy poo poo, getting summoned for the LGK fight is the most hilarious thing in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

animatorZed posted:

Holy poo poo, getting summoned for the LGK fight is the most hilarious thing in the world.

Yeah it's freaking awesome and fun to play on the side of a boss. I only managed to get summoned once but I died really quick because there were 2 phantoms + the host. They immediately started ignoring the boss and started stagger-spaming hexes and bolts at me, so when I finished rolling there was another one right in front of my face before I could do a second roll (at <19.9% weight). That is literally the ONLY time I've felt cheated by facing casters.

Speaking of people who are crybabies about hexes/sorcery/miracles/pyro, NeoGAF has poo poo tons of them. By comparison, SA is a beacon of masculinity/having a spine/minimal assholeness.

ComaPrison fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 17, 2014

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
What does Bandai Namco Games or FromSoftware plan to do with potential cheating/hacking in Dark Souls II?

The Dark Souls II server team is constantly monitoring player activity. If a player has stats or weapons that they shouldn't, the server team is tracking that. It is up to the Dark Souls II server team to submit to Valve what they would like to ban, in terms of hacks and cheats, and then VAC will take care of the bans. As we progress, we'll do our best to share what information is provided to us by FromSoftware, but any cheat, hack, or player bans are up to the discretion of the Dark Souls II server team. If you have specific questions about this - You can reach out to our game support: North/South America: http://support.bandainamcogames.com/ Other Territories: http://www.bandainamcogames.co.uk/support

You can read more about how VAC works (and how to report a cheat) here: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?p_faqid=370

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Well poo poo, I think I've permanently ruined myself on shields. I was making some axe character that was using a bandit's axe and a tower shield and was struggling in the belltower because of the range, then I took off the shield and got long rolls and just recklessly rushed people and now I'm wrecking people. What's the trick to using these things in a way that doesn't just make your rolls slower?

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I only got summoned once for the mirror knight (after having my sign down for hours), and it was to a guy with benhart and a player phantom along. The phantom was for some baffling reason dual wielding shields and failed to distract me while the host just sort of lingered between me and the mirror knight and failed to do any damage. They did not win.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Control Volume posted:

Well poo poo, I think I've permanently ruined myself on shields. I was making some axe character that was using a bandit's axe and a tower shield and was struggling in the belltower because of the range, then I took off the shield and got long rolls and just recklessly rushed people and now I'm wrecking people. What's the trick to using these things in a way that doesn't just make your rolls slower?

Don't.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Amppelix posted:

(Different) Moveset. Moveset is everything.

Not just different, but you effectively add 2 moves to the moveset, for a total of 4 attacks at the cost of parrying or blocking with your weapon (but no one does that anyway)

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
St. Havelyn's build isn't too hard to beat but it's just so boring how many people do have Santier's in one hand and Avelyn in the other.

My favorite fight was me and my grand lance against someone and their heide lance. We jousted one another. It was beautiful. Running in circles to build up momentum and then charging around.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Control Volume posted:

If you're using a greatshield, then you shouldn't be relying primarily on rolls in the first place. Greatshields weigh a ton and lose the ability to parry in exchange for tremendous stability, allowing you to block more attacks. You need to manage your weight carefully if you're going to use a greatshield and dodge a lot. If having one pushes you into fat roll territory, then either get some weight reduction or drop it entirely. Fat roll is terrible.

I don't think there's much of a point to using greatshields other than the rebel's greatshield online though. People mainly use weapons that split damage between physical and elemental, so a shield needs good elemental resist to actually block significant damage. Most greatshields are awful in that regard. Maybe the King's Mirror is okay since it has decent magic resist across the board in addition to high physical def, but I haven't tried it myself.

FlocksOfMice posted:

St. Havelyn's build isn't too hard to beat but it's just so boring how many people do have Santier's in one hand and Avelyn in the other.

I really really REALLY hate Avelyn. It just feels so loving cheap. I'll just pull out my crossbow and pelt you with a nonstop barrage of bolts that are nearly impossible to dodge with any sort of lag. Doesn't require any specific build and its the most effortless poo poo ever. The damage is split between physical and elemental so you can't block it effectively, and even if you dodge properly you'll still get hit if the game lags. There's no risk involved in using it either. I groan every time I see someone carrying an Avelyn.

Satiner's isn't as bad but getting killed by its stunlock combo when your 5 feet away is pretty annoying! Its always funny to go up against someone using satiner's when the game doesn't lag though. They think they can just spam that combo and stunlock, but its ridiculously easy to avoid and then punish horribly when latency isn't loving you over.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 17, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Control Volume posted:

Well for one thing don't go over 70% equip load. There's never any reason to, go naked if you have to.

Generally you don't want to rely on shields for PVP because anyone decent will just guardbreak you. Shields are for parrying (and rapiers/curved swords are better for that), mainly. The only greatshield I would recommend for PVP is Rebel's for blocking magic. Attacking with it isn't a bad idea, either; the jump attack for greatshields is actually pretty good.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

THE PWNER posted:

Not just different, but you effectively add 2 moves to the moveset, for a total of 4 attacks at the cost of parrying or blocking with your weapon (but no one does that anyway)
If you have a Parrying Dagger or an Espera Ropada in the right hand you can still parry even while powerstanced :eng101:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

You can do perfect glitchless total moveset swaps now.

I'm not sure what to think of this.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Is there anything exciting in the middle of the fog area of the Shaded Woods or is it just the stuff on the edges?

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
OK, Dragon Aerie takes it from the old style Dark Souls "Hard but Fair", to completely loving bullshit, how the gently caress am I supposed to reliably kill the hammer dude who have 100% tracking and no gap between attack animations.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

You can do perfect glitchless total moveset swaps now.

I'm not sure what to think of this.

What do you mean?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Back in DS1, if someone hacked a different moveset onto their weapon, it didn't show to someone else online.

Now, it does.

This is actually a good thing. Mostly because now somebody with a hacked moveset isn't glitchy as hell and their attacks/hitboxes are plainly visible.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Opposing Farce posted:

If you have a Parrying Dagger or an Espera Ropada in the right hand you can still parry even while powerstanced :eng101:

too in love with dual estoc. Both the l2 and r2 are completely different attacks that hit super hard and that are surprisingly easy to land once you get used to them, while keeping the good ol thrusting sword r1 stunlock. Don't use the l1 much though.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Genocyber posted:

Well for one thing don't go over 70% equip load. There's never any reason to, go naked if you have to.

Generally you don't want to rely on shields for PVP because anyone decent will just guardbreak you. Shields are for parrying (and rapiers/curved swords are better for that), mainly. The only greatshield I would recommend for PVP is Rebel's for blocking magic. Attacking with it isn't a bad idea, either; the jump attack for greatshields is actually pretty good.

I didn't have the fatroll but my roll was still like 75% of the length, that's what I was talking about long rolls since the difference between 50% and 20% is huge. But okay, I guess I'll just mothball the tower shield except for tanking bosses in co-op or something. RIP cool shield, you were too lovely for this world.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ahahah well that's a new stupid death. I got crushed to death by the flying gate at the undead purgatory.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Rudager posted:

OK, Dragon Aerie takes it from the old style Dark Souls "Hard but Fair", to completely loving bullshit, how the gently caress am I supposed to reliably kill the hammer dude who have 100% tracking and no gap between attack animations.

Roll towards and past them. Stay close.

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Genocyber posted:

This. This a million times this. The guys with shields NEVER worry me. It's the ones that go without shields that I tend to approach very cautiously (because they're basically never going to block and hence I can't guard break them, they tend to roll like kings, by virtue of all the practice rolling they get from never using a shield, and they tend to successfully punish me for most slip-ups). Guys like that are the main reason I specced from pure caster into a hybrid build with chime in one hand and whip/sword in the other.

ComaPrison fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 17, 2014

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Control Volume posted:

I didn't have the fatroll but my roll was still like 75% of the length, that's what I was talking about long rolls since the difference between 50% and 20% is huge. But okay, I guess I'll just mothball the tower shield except for tanking bosses in co-op or something. RIP cool shield, you were too lovely for this world.

You don't need a shield for bosses. You can deal with literally all of them by roll alone (especially if you're 19.9% weight and under, although that's overkill).

ComaPrison fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 17, 2014

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Rudager posted:

They're probably broken. Just use poison arrows. It's not worth fighting them for reals.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Mzbundifund posted:

Roll towards and past them. Stay close.

Fire and arrows work nicely too.

But if you really must toe-to-toe to them, a shield with high stability will be your personal lord and savior.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

ComaPrison posted:

You don't need a shield for bosses. You can deal with literally all of them by roll alone (especially if you're 19.9% weight and under, although that's overkill).
Yeah, but tanking bosses in co-op with a big-arse shield is fun and effective.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

ComaPrison posted:

Yeah it's freaking awesome and fun to play on the side of a boss. I only managed to get summoned once but I died really quick because there were 2 phantoms + the host. They immediately started ignoring the boss and started stagger-spaming hexes and bolts at me, so when I finished rolling there was another one right in front of my face before I could do a second roll (at <19.9% weight). That is literally the ONLY time I've felt cheated by facing casters.

At SM ~3.5M I was getting really frequent hits. Most likely from people in ng+, based on their gear and there's no way anyone is actually fighting LGK in ng with soul memory that high.
For several in a row, I was getting hits after only 10-30 seconds of waiting, and an average of 2 minutes or so.

It was actually pretty neat. You have just about a second or so to figure out what the hell is going on as you spawn in. There were a few times I spawned into a firestorm, and multiple soul spears, and was actually dead before the loading screen faded away. Also a 50% chance of two sunbro's slinging lightning and avelyns.

Still overall pretty fun, and its hilarious for the times the host clearly is completely confused and panicking that this was a thing that happened.

I got invaded a few times while waiting around to get summoned too. At least once by one of the aforementioned sunbros that killed me in one of the fights, so it felt good to slash his face off with a buffed claymore. Unless you get summoned into a fight with only the host, or the host and Benhardt, there's usually no time to actually cast sunlight blade or anything during the fight since you'll get a sun spear to the face.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

ComaPrison posted:

You don't need them but they can make some fights easier. A good example is Ruin Sentinels. Managing the two Sentinels is much easier when you have a shield. Also their spinning top attack is really hard to dodge properly but does basically nothing if you use a shield.

Whether or not you use a shield is mostly up to personal preference IMO. In Dark Souls, I'd say you were handicapping yourself by not using a shield since they were so much more effective there. In Dark Souls 2 though, rolling has been improved so going shieldless is less of a gimmick and more a viable alternative playstyle. Furthermore a lot of the bosses have attacks that bypass shields, so fighting without one is actually beneficial against them. Very few bosses in Dark Souls had any way to deal with a player huddling behind a greatshield.

That said, I think you guys are to hard on shields in PvP. Certain shields can be very useful when used properly. Guard breaks only punish bad players. The guard break animation is pretty obvious, and lowering your shield is so quick you should never get hit by it if you pay attention. There's no reason to have your shield raised all the time anyways. You can tell if someone is going to use their shield poorly if they walk around with it raised constantly. Those are the players you can guard break for easy wins, but I've seen plenty of shield users that I couldn't guard break.

Rudager posted:

I don't get the complaints about these guys. I fought them with dual fists and didn't find anything about them to be broken. Yeah they're hard but what do you expect from a near end game area? They're not even the worst enemy. The Drakekeeper's with the maces are way harder in my opinion.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Wait, so the bridge at the start of Iron Keep is some sort of unofficial PvP area?

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

animatorZed posted:

At SM ~3.5M I was getting really frequent hits. Most likely from people in ng+, based on their gear and there's no way anyone is actually fighting LGK in ng with soul memory that high.
For several in a row, I was getting hits after only 10-30 seconds of waiting, and an average of 2 minutes or so.

It was actually pretty neat. You have just about a second or so to figure out what the hell is going on as you spawn in. There were a few times I spawned into a firestorm, and multiple soul spears, and was actually dead before the loading screen faded away. Also a 50% chance of two sunbro's slinging lightning and avelyns.

Still overall pretty fun, and its hilarious for the times the host clearly is completely confused and panicking that this was a thing that happened.

I got invaded a few times while waiting around to get summoned too. At least once by one of the aforementioned sunbros that killed me in one of the fights, so it felt good to slash his face off with a buffed claymore. Unless you get summoned into a fight with only the host, or the host and Benhardt, there's usually no time to actually cast sunlight blade or anything during the fight since you'll get a sun spear to the face.

To be fair, I was trying during non-peak hours for my timezone (like 5 am EST with region restriction on)

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Wait, so the bridge at the start of Iron Keep is some sort of unofficial PvP area?

it's super fun to drop a red eye orb there and gently caress with some fight club stuffs

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

The Drakekeeper's with the maces are way harder in my opinion.

Pretty sure you're talking about the same thing here.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't get the complaints about these guys. I fought them with dual fists and didn't find anything about them to be broken. Yeah they're hard but what do you expect from a near end game area? They're not even the worst enemy. The Drakekeeper's with the maces are way harder in my opinion.

Are we all talking about the same enemy?

There's a problem when a two-handed mace enemy can go for a near eternal eight-hit combo that loves to home in on you. Their overhead attacks are fine.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's right by the Dragon Covenant and a bonfire. Incredibly convenient. Another popular place is by the last bonfire of Iron Keep because it's built for cage matches.

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Internet Kraken posted:

You don't need them but they can make some fights easier. A good example is Ruin Sentinels. Managing the two Sentinels is much easier when you have a shield. Also their spinning top attack is really hard to dodge properly but does basically nothing if you use a shield.

Whether or not you use a shield is mostly up to personal preference IMO. In Dark Souls, I'd say you were handicapping yourself by not using a shield since they were so much more effective there. In Dark Souls 2 though, rolling has been improved so going shieldless is less of a gimmick and more a viable alternative playstyle. Furthermore a lot of the bosses have attacks that bypass shields, so fighting without one is actually beneficial against them. Very few bosses in Dark Souls had any way to deal with a player huddling behind a greatshield.

That said, I think you guys are to hard on shields in PvP. Certain shields can be very useful when used properly. Guard breaks only punish bad players. The guard break animation is pretty obvious, and lowering your shield is so quick you should never get hit by it if you pay attention. There's no reason to have your shield raised all the time anyways. You can tell if someone is going to use their shield poorly if they walk around with it raised constantly. Those are the players you can guard break for easy wins, but I've seen plenty of shield users that I couldn't guard break.

I've only run into a few guys I couldn't guard break. For most of them it's because they went shieldless. I think I've run into 2 shield guys I couldn't guardbreak, and it was because they basically never used them. They would tap shield for a split second to bait me into a guard break animation, then they would punish me. On the other hand, I could've sworn that there's something going on with shield-drop animations that allow you to still guardbreak them for a fraction of a second as the shield goes down. There are a few guys I've guardbroken that I could've sworn had lowered their shield just as/slightly before I started the guardbreak animation. Of course this needs confirmation, as its entirely anecdotal.

Another anecdote:

It seems like if you're fighting a shield guy and you give him a good few face rolls leading into an attack each time, they're going to raise their shield the next time you roll at them. Then you can trip them up with a face roll followed by a guard break.

Edit: This just reminded me to test the roll-attack of the old whip. It's freakin fast! The attack pops out before your rolls is even finished.

ComaPrison fucked around with this message at 06:48 on May 17, 2014

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

My first DS2 run is only 5 hours old and I've hit a major roadblock.

Cliff's Notes version: guy invades me, gives me a TON of awesome stuff, and then just leaves. I happy dance my way to one of the bosses that killed me with my new gear, summon a helper, and cream the guy. I go back to Majula with 15K souls to level up and buy stuff.

One of the items I got was a +10 cap that poisons whoever is nearby.

I poisoned the poo poo out of the Emerald Herald, but she didn't die. But now she won't talk to me.

Am I just absolutely hosed?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Monowhatever posted:

it's super fun to drop a red eye orb there and gently caress with some fight club stuffs

Jamfrost posted:

It's right by the Dragon Covenant and a bonfire. Incredibly convenient. Another popular place is by the last bonfire of Iron Keep because it's built for cage matches.

I didn't know, although I'd begun to suspect due to some of the strange summons I was getting. Lesson learnt I guess.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Nostratic: Speak to Cromwell the Pardoner at the church where you fought Prowling Magus. Be prepared to pay souls.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Jamfrost posted:

Are we all talking about the same enemy?

There's a problem when a two-handed mace enemy can go for a near eternal eight-hit combo that loves to home in on you. Their overhead attacks are fine.

All the Drakekeepers are weak to poison if you have it, but if you don't, just run behind them and take potshots. They don't track very well if you're directly behind them. The greatshield ones are the real motherfuckers, though, and where Champ Covenant really starts to hate you :v:

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Tallgeese posted:

Nostratic: Speak to Cromwell the Pardoner at the church where you fought Prowling Magus. Be prepared to pay souls.

If he's 5 hours in his first time of DSII he's probably maybe at the ruin sents.

He's a long, long way off Cromwell.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Nostratic posted:

Am I just absolutely hosed?

Moderately. Depending on how high your SL is, you go pay a guy partway through brightstone cove a lot of souls to make her not angry at you. It's something like SL x 1000, so it ain't cheap. Alternatively, you can just kill her and pay a few thousand souls at her gravestone every time you want to level up. Depending on your SL, murder might be the cheaper option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I didn't know, although I'd begun to suspect due to some of the strange summons I was getting. Lesson learnt I guess.

If someone summons you there and you see a red phantom, the right and proper thing to do is let the red phantom blast the host. Not because of honor or anything, but because you know that the type of person who pulls that sort of low effort grief is the sort of person who would be very irate about dying while his buddies spam the "No way" emote.