Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
She is the main character in an elder scrolls story. She must embrace CHIM. :colbert:

Edit: Dammit beaten while I ended up reading about CHIM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Art seemed different this update. Anyone else notice?

I doubt we're getting to CHIM, at least yet. That's way too overpowered.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Bobulus posted:

Art seemed different this update. Anyone else notice?

Yeah, it looks like the new artist is starting to do a lot more of the core animation work, and while it looks like they're pretty good at mimicking Kazerad's style in stills, there's a noticeable difference in the animation. Still good, just different.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
So uh is she ever gonna move that loving peg or what.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

quote:

Even the powerful people, they’re just spooning harder and more vigorously than everyone else,

:v:

I'm twelve years old mentally.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Opposing Farce posted:

I feel like crazy ghost elf is basically telling Katia to start abusing console commands.

That bit about walking through walls is probably familiar to anyone who played Morrowind pre-patches and had to make a lot of use of the tcm, toggle collision mode, command to avoid getting stuck on geometry..

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

That should happen within a couple dozen updates, so around second quarter 2019.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Pester posted:

That bit about walking through walls is probably familiar to anyone who played Morrowind pre-patches and had to make a lot of use of the tcm, toggle collision mode, command to avoid getting stuck on geometry..

I think he's referring to Passwall, actually.

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

Lizard Wizard posted:

I think he's referring to Passwall, actually.

I was actually thinking teleportation spells like Recall, which the series has traditionally classified as Mysticism. Passwall (at least in the Elder Scrolls) is just a spell that destroys walls. I think the exact word used in its description was "vaporize".

Personally, I like to imagine it's just an attempt to put it very politely. The wall isn't destroyed, it passes on.

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Probably.

I've mentioned this on a few other sites, but this entire sequence is meant to heavily mirror the earlier one with Asotil and fire magic in terms of pacing. Of course, due to circumstances outside my control, that one took two weeks while this one has taken like four months. I feel like it reads alright from an archival standpoint, but for day-to-day readers I suspect the pacing is incredibly annoying. I'm working on it, and I owe you all a thanks or two for sticking with me though the repeated delays. You are all pretty cool. Even the weird ones of you.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Pester posted:

And sometimes you just pick up a plate. hold it in front of you, rub it against a door, and go right through the door.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

We wish to communicate with you!

jetz0r posted:

And sometimes you just pick up a plate. hold it in front of you, rub it against a door, and go right through the door.
So what you're saying is that Katia should rub a plate on the peg until they both start spontaneously levitating. Sounds about right.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

jetz0r posted:

Look, we can't be doin' with all this cutleromancy, we've got mysticism to be learnin'!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

rotinaj posted:

I'm about ready for the Monty Python choruses of "GET ON WITH IT!".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suIHmqXVfTg

Kazerad posted:

I was actually thinking teleportation spells like Recall, which the series has traditionally classified as Mysticism. Passwall (at least in the Elder Scrolls) is just a spell that destroys walls. I think the exact word used in its description was "vaporize".

Personally, I like to imagine it's just an attempt to put it very politely. The wall isn't destroyed, it passes on.

Haha, that's really in the game? It's ripped directly from DnD.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Squeegy posted:

Haha, that's really in the game? It's ripped directly from DnD.

So is like 90% of the setting, if the comic's any indication.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

aegof posted:

So is like 90% of the setting, if the comic's any indication.

It isn't.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
The Elder Scrolls borrows to some extent from D&D, as does the vast majority of fantasy released since the 80's, but it's extremely marginal compared to all the setting-original stuff that it has. Oblivion, the game this comic is in the same setting and rough timeframe as, is probably the worst offender in those terms, being set in your bog-standard Western European Feudalism Setting (which I'm pretty sure used to be a jungle, according to lore). Morrowind and Skyrim involve enormous, dramatic differences in setting, society, creatures, magic--pretty much everything is wildly different from D&D.

I wasn't actually aware TES had a spell called Passwall, though--just a village in the Shivering Isles.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Redeye Flight posted:

(which I'm pretty sure used to be a jungle, according to lore)
Yeah, it was established that a large portion of the Imperial Province was tropical jungle, although not all of it.
But it was retconned in Oblivion with the excuse that "Talos did it" and afterwards with "whoever originally described the area centuries ago was obviously mistaken". :v:

As for the setting itself, it was originally based on the one they used for a D&D campaign, but from Daggerfall onwards it was fleshed out more and more, distancing itself from its origins, with Morrowind being the most unique setting-wise of all the games.

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

Redeye Flight posted:

I wasn't actually aware TES had a spell called Passwall, though--just a village in the Shivering Isles.

It was way back in Arena - which was probably the last game in the series where a spell for destroying walls was even viable on a mechanical level, since things were mapped like standard 2D DnD dungeons.

The Elder Scrolls series didn't originate from a desire to create an original setting so much as from a disconcertingly nerdy celebration of fantasy tropes and culture. Like, the original race selection page literally used the words "CHOOSE THY HOMELAND", character creation involved actual dice rolls (complete with sound effects), and the cover art for the first game speaks for itself. By Daggerfall the series had begun to introduce some neat ideas and build its own lore, but it didn't really start to become its own "thing" until Kirkbride was brought on for Redguard and Morrowind - both much more character-oriented games focusing on a single island.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
And let's not forget the fact that The Elder Scrolls was chosen as the name of the series not because they initially had any idea what exactly "elder scrolls" were and what role they played in the setting, but because it sounded cool.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

radintorov posted:

Yeah, it was established that a large portion of the Imperial Province was tropical jungle, although not all of it.
But it was retconned in Oblivion with the excuse that "Talos did it" and afterwards with "whoever originally described the area centuries ago was obviously mistaken". :v:

As for the setting itself, it was originally based on the one they used for a D&D campaign, but from Daggerfall onwards it was fleshed out more and more, distancing itself from its origins, with Morrowind being the most unique setting-wise of all the games.

Retconning the poo poo out of previously established facts is pretty integral to the series. Between the gods, daedra, man-gods, and elder scrolls, there are any number of ways to rewrite reality and history. It's assumed that people are constantly using the Scrolls to gently caress around, so nothing is really set in stone. It's just unfortunate that Bethesda chose to exercise this option by creating Generic Medieval and Generic Icecountry, especially when they follow Crazy Fantasy Island.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

At least Blackreach and Markarth were cool. :(

*Memory may be of modded Markarth

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:32 on May 19, 2014

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

MikeJF posted:

At least Blackreach and Markarth were cool. :(

*Memory may be of modded Markarth

No, unmodded Markarth is extremely cool too. Hence why I included Skyrim in the same category as Morrowind--despite being more generic, it has a lot of unique elements that really don't fit into your typical fantasy. It's not coincidental, I feel, that a lot of those elements are tied in some way to TES' dwarves, who are quite unconventional as far as dwarves go.

Plus, once you get to Dragonborn and Solstheim you can throw half of the generic elements completely out the window.

(Skyrim also provides plot reasons to reinforce the greatest of fantasy truisms, which is to say Death To Elves)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Has anyone told her to try to open her "mental abstraction" spellbook yet?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
New update. There's some pretty nifty art. I especially like the line being drawn in the snow.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The true Oblivion experience! With picking things up comes the frustration of getting it turned the right loving way up!

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jun 16, 2014

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
That "schematic" picture is pretty cool, in particular the visual glitch effect when she overrides "gravity" with "vision".

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Yep, that seems pretty much what it's like when you're trying to decorate your household furniture with skulls. Always a pain in the as to get it just right.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

MikeJF posted:

The true Oblivion experience! With picking things up comes the frustration of getting it turned the right loving way up!

Gnome de plume posted:

Yep, that seems pretty much what it's like when you're trying to decorate your household furniture with skulls. Always a pain in the as to get it just right.

So, waitaminute, is she actually using magic or is she just doing the first person holding stuff from the games?

Or has holding stuff in TES games been magic all along?! :tinfoil:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I think she's using the Telekinesis spell, which handles exactly the same as holding stuff but with a longer pickup range.

Although given that he says that short-range tk doesn't use magicka... maybe The Protagonist has always just been super lazy and used that.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jun 16, 2014

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Definitely looks like she's "picking stuff up" in Oblivion. The telekinesis spell would A) Cost magicka, B) Be blocked by the amulet, and C) Be longer ranged. While she's not abusing console commands (and is thus not a god), I'd still say this is CHIM. Utilizing game mechanics.

She's going to spend the rest of her life using this "spell" to pick stuff up, and is constantly going to try to figure out how to rotate things correctly. We know this, because everyone who ever played the game has done so.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

radintorov posted:

That "schematic" picture is pretty cool, in particular the visual glitch effect when she overrides "gravity" with "vision".

It is pretty cool, though I'm curious what the other icons are. I can see health and mana over to the side, and mana actually pulses a bit when she finishes switching stuff around so she must be using at least a little of it, but I don't know what the other symbols mean. I think one is inventory, and another is the oblivion rune, and what looks like a clock and a lit matchstick? I haven't played enough Elder Scrolls to know if those symbols are used anywhere or not.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

SatansBestBuddy posted:

It is pretty cool, though I'm curious what the other icons are. I can see health and mana over to the side, and mana actually pulses a bit when she finishes switching stuff around so she must be using at least a little of it, but I don't know what the other symbols mean. I think one is inventory, and another is the oblivion rune, and what looks like a clock and a lit matchstick? I haven't played enough Elder Scrolls to know if those symbols are used anywhere or not.

Some of the symbols are in oblivion but some aren't. You can see the night-eye ability symbol up in the top left with the health (life?) symbol. The sphere in the center right has (top to bottom) the Atronoch birth sign, what I'm guessing is the mana/stamina bar, an Oblivion sign (not specifically gates, that's just the generic symbol for oblivion), and then a symbol that could either mean her inventory is closed or the silence amulet is blocking spell casting (which also suggests this is just the generic pick-up ability that players have.)

The symbols connected to the peg mostly don't appear in oblivion except the one she moves. The eyeball is when you're sneaking and if you've been spotted. The peg is very bad at sneaking so I guess it's been spotted by her. The square symbol is probably collision detection, down arrows is gravity obviously, the match is probably flammable (it is wood after all), I have no idea on the next one it looks like a disintegrating butterfly. The clock symbol... maybe it means this object exists within time? The Elder Scrolls games make a distinction between objects that exist within and outside of time in the mythos. (See, Dragonbreak, the main plot of skyrim, Dwarves, and CHIM regarding player-characters.) The last one I'm not certain about. Maybe it makes the distinction between terrain and objects?

Edit: I may have found the symbol that I described as "disintegrating butterfly" It might mean the damage attribute alchemy trait. If that's what it is then she definitely shouldn't eat the peg.

Edit 2: Wait, no what am I saying? She SHOULD eat the peg so that she will train the alchemy skill.

TheCIASentMe fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 16, 2014

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Got to say, even if it isn't overt 'Katia opened the console and typed...' then the diagrams are still lore as gently caress.

:CHIM:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Haha, this is wonderful, somehow I never predicted this levitation would be the way players pick things up in the game. What's lesson 2, standing perfectly still and slowing your heartbeat so hours go by in the blink of an eye?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TheCIASentMe posted:

You can see the night-eye ability symbol up in the top left with the health (life?) symbol.

Apparently that other symbol is Eye of Fear.

Also:

quote:

Heck, with practice, an Atronach like you could even use it as a siphon.

quote:

Because Telekinesis is a target-based spell, but it affects self (meaning, it first applies a "Telekinesis" effect to the player, then is cast at an object), a Spell Absorption effect will absorb the player's own spell, restoring their Magicka. Because the amount of Magicka absorbed is determined by the original cost of the spell, but the actual cost is reduced by the player's Mysticism skill, more Magicka will be absorbed than is spent casting the spell.

This exploit is especially useful to characters that have chosen the Atronach as their birthsign, as they will be able to regenerate their Magicka even faster than other characters, and no longer require enemies to do it.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

MikeJF posted:

Apparently that other symbol is Eye of Fear.

Oh, yeah that makes more sense. Didn't think of that.

Especially since the Bar symbol would include Heath, Mana, and Stamina.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I find it so delightfully fun that when Katia finally achieves 'magic' she actually kinda fucks it up by not being able to replace the peg in the hole.

:3:

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
Son have you ever tried to place things in an elder scrolls game with any precision? This is straight truth being depicted, here.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

This is a very clever take on the whole plater/environment interaction. I hope Katia learns how to get a 3rd person slow-mo kill cam soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

umalt posted:

I find it so delightfully fun that when Katia finally achieves 'magic' she actually kinda fucks it up by not being able to replace the peg in the hole.

:3:

Neither has anyone else using the pickup function in Oblivion, without mods.

• Locked thread