Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

PlesantDilemma posted:

Thread,

I wanna get into bjj, but I'm trying to figure out the logistics of how to fit it into my schedule. Quick questions: how early should I eat before a class? Is it a big meal or keep it light? Do schools usually have a changing room or do I need to get the gi on before I arrive at class? Also, just generally, how do you guys fit a hour class into your day after work?

Thanks!
Every school will have a changing room and most (at least near me) also have showers. Walking around outside with a gi on would be weird. I recommend showering as soon as possible after class or using Defense wipes to avoid gross grappling skin diseases.

My school has classes in the evenings in the same area of my work. I have a bigger meal at lunch and try not to eat 60-90 minutes before class starts and then I'm fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

PlesantDilemma posted:

Quick questions: how early should I eat before a class? Is it a big meal or keep it light? Do schools usually have a changing room... ?

Eat the big meal especially if you are going to include heavy foods like meats and cheeses roughly 4 hours before class. Have a full wheat toast with some easy to digest chicken fillet 2 hours before class. Have only light fruits and veggies 1 hour before class. Eat a banana 30 minutes before class if you feel famished. Those are pretty good guidelines on what to eat and when. That said, everyone digests and handles stuff differently and someone can have deep fried cheese filled jalapenos and a pint of beer and then walk across the street and start grappling like nothing, but that would really weigh me down with my stomach trying to digest that horrible poo poo.

If I have a 16:30 class, I'm going to have a regular lunch say, full wheat noodles and chicken and avocado between 12:00 - 13:00. Then a slice of bread, or an apple and a banana or something at 15:00 if I feel like it, but I often don't need to.

If you are going to do a 3 hour marathon (like two classes on row) you might want to carb load the day before, so more pasta than usual for example.

And I've never ever heard of a school, gym or club WITHOUT a changing room.

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Rikthor posted:

You can always grab a pair of compression shorts with a built in slot for a cup

I tried those and the cup "floated" around too much even with an extra pair of compression shorts to hold everything down. I don't think they are meant to be comfortable so I should just suck it up.

Thoguh posted:

You can't wear a cup for Judo competitions so you might as well get used to not wearing one.

That's why I only compete in grappling tournaments that require a cup. :smug:

ElMaligno posted:

Any recomendations for a flexible cup?
Serious post

Also this.

One last quote for my giant post.

PlesantDilemma posted:

Quick questions: how early should I eat before a class? Is it a big meal or keep it light? Do schools usually have a changing room or do I need to get the gi on before I arrive at class? Also, just generally, how do you guys fit a hour class into your day after work?

How to eat is an individual thing. I recommend starting light until you find your sweet spot. I usually eat about 1.5 hours before class. If I'm home then its a normal sized portion of chicken, pasta, and veggies. If I have to leave straight from work I'll ashamedly admit its usually a couple Hot Pockets because I hate myself. If I don't eat enough though I feel terrible the whole time.
There should be a changing room though I've changed in the bathroom several times because it was either that or out with the public and no one wants to see me without pants. I have a desk job so 2 hours of class after work isn't physically difficult. Logistically I just buy more clothes so I don't have to do laundry as often. I also don't sleep as much as I'd like.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

ElMaligno posted:

Any recomendations for a flexible cup?
Serious post

The Shock Doctor Bio-Flex cup works fine for me.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
At first you will probably be pretty sensitive to what you ate and when but eventually you get used to training and can kind of fudge it.

Drink lots of water during the day though because you'll sweat a ton and feel terrible during and after if you don't load up. That's prob my biggest factor as far as intake.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

fatherdog posted:

There's a bunch of martial arts that can potentially fit that qualification. "Fun" varies from person to person; if you tell us what's available in your area (or just what your area is) we can give you some suggestions for stuff that won't be useless on the "protecting people if necessary" side, but on the "have fun doing it" side you're just going to have to pick some and try them out till you find one that's fun for you.

So, updates.

I gave it a shot at a training class with the Krav Maga place. They seemed to have practice involving teaching yourself the proper response to things, such as: training for responding to an attack from the direction you are shoved with your eyes closed (location is random), and they did a little zero point defense stuff but no 2v1 or 3v1 training. Very clear about "fighting is your last option, not your first". I busted a sweat, but I can't quantify if this is "Real krav maga" or not. There was some discussion about awareness as well.

I know a friend did something called Chun Moo somewhere in my area before? Don't know if that's legitimate or not. I guess it was a "learn by getting your rear end kicked" type of art, but he seemed to enjoy it.

I'm in Evanston, IL - so I don't know what martial arts that exist nearby can be considered legitimate, but BJJ does sound interesting.

http://ultfitev.com/new/Chicago_Jiu-Jitsu_BJJ_MMA_and_Fighting_Arts_at_Ultimate_Fitness_Club_Chicago.html - is this legitimate? This is almost down the street from me. Almost laughably it says "ninja warriors" and crossfit on their homepage, which isn't a good start - but the BJJ guy seems to be vaguely credentialed and/or has a bunch of "I've won a shitload of competitions!" kind of bio.

Also nearby appears to be http://www.newbreedchicago.com/ .

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 16, 2014

mewse
May 2, 2006

notwithoutmyanus posted:

training for responding to an attack from the direction you are shoved with your eyes closed (location is random)

:stare:

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah I don't know, it seemed like some kind of "you need to be able to handle if someone goes after you from anywhere because you might not know they're coming after you" thing?

I'm not sure if this is remotely plausible or just voodoo bullshit.

mewse
May 2, 2006

It's voodoo bullshit

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Heh. I'm not entirely surprised.
Ok, so next question. What reputable individuals teach martial arts near Evanston, IL? I saw those 2 BJJ places from a quick search, but both appear to be kinda BS as well.

edit: Also, they were hardcore on "you have to sign up for a 1 year membership" which I am not going to do under any circumstances. No month to month or 3 month plan or any poo poo like that gives me no reason to consider them.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 16, 2014

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Take a trial lesson at both places and keep in mind that if it seems like bullshit, it's bullshit. You want to learn how to compete in a sport, not gouge a stranger's eyes out or w/e because one of those things you can actually train your mind and body to do at full strength and one blinds all your buddies. If the place has no trial lesson it's a red flag but even legit places push for a yearly contract if they can even though they usually have other plans. Test them both out and pick the one that seems more sincere.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Heh. I'm not entirely surprised.
Ok, so next question. What reputable individuals teach martial arts near Evanston, IL? I saw those 2 BJJ places from a quick search, but both appear to be kinda BS as well.

edit: Also, they were hardcore on "you have to sign up for a 1 year membership" which I am not going to do under any circumstances. No month to month or 3 month plan or any poo poo like that gives me no reason to consider them.

Serafin Chicago BJJ looks like a good place to check out in Evanston. The owner/head coach is a legit guy with a good reputation.

http://www.serafinbjj.com/

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Ok, so next question. What reputable individuals teach martial arts near Evanston, IL?

Were you the guy looking for shaolin kung fu earlier as well? There's a place in Hanover Park that's legit, they do wushu and sanda as well. Huang Lin Bao Jian.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Wasn't me, oracle. That's like a 70 min drive and given my lifestyle is a bit too far. North Chicago/north of is fine.

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

More cup chat- I've owned several flexible cups and hated every last one. Go and try on a Thai steel cup, you'll love it.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I'm in Evanston, IL - so I don't know what martial arts that exist nearby can be considered legitimate, but BJJ does sound interesting.

http://ultfitev.com/new/Chicago_Jiu-Jitsu_BJJ_MMA_and_Fighting_Arts_at_Ultimate_Fitness_Club_Chicago.html - is this legitimate? This is almost down the street from me. Almost laughably it says "ninja warriors" and crossfit on their homepage, which isn't a good start - but the BJJ guy seems to be vaguely credentialed and/or has a bunch of "I've won a shitload of competitions!" kind of bio.

Also nearby appears to be http://www.newbreedchicago.com/ .

New Breed is a pretty good place. And a brown belt from my school in the city just started a BJJ place in Evanston. He's a good instructor: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Budan-Jiu-Jitsu/602849826432488

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mechafunkzilla posted:

this is the worst advice

What about it? It's true that you can't wear any kind of hard plastic when competing in Judo, including a cup. Most Judoka don't wear a cup. Compression shorts or a jock strap do the job just fine unless you're constantly working with people who do uchimata poorly. Its grappling, not a game of "kick your opponent in the balls".

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Wasn't me, oracle. That's like a 70 min drive and given my lifestyle is a bit too far. North Chicago/north of is fine.

Cohen Brothers Judo club is in Vernon Hills. That isn't to far from Evanston. Tohkon Judo is south of you but not very far. Those are two of the best Judo clubs in the midwest.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I got inside kicked through my boxing groin protector and stayed down for 2 rounds. I felt it even the next day.

Also, how did I get... sidekicked in the leg?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Yeah I don't know, it seemed like some kind of "you need to be able to handle if someone goes after you from anywhere because you might not know they're coming after you" thing?

I'm not sure if this is remotely plausible or just voodoo bullshit.

I'd say the difference is if they're actually hitting grabbing throwing and you're doing it in return, or if you're miming stuff from five feet away.

For reference I boxed for only 3 months and got surprised by movers coming out of the bathroom today. I jumped back tucked my chin and prepped a right all by instinct. So, straight up boxing will give you those instincts no problem. I've done bjj for 8 years so no idea why I didn't like... Pull guard but I guess getting hit in the face enough hit the idea through.

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

A real Bjj practitioner doesn't pull guard when threatened, he buttscoots menacingly towards the opponent a la Fabricio Werdum.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

eine dose socken posted:

A real Bjj practitioner doesn't pull guard when threatened, he buttscoots menacingly towards the opponent a la Fabricio Werdum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBK23Vjv4mM

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013
I have no skill in martial arts whatsoever... but my mom told me I did the buttscoot before walking for several months... maybe I should trade aikido and my impending judo sessions for bjj?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

eine dose socken posted:

More cup chat- I've owned several flexible cups and hated every last one. Go and try on a Thai steel cup, you'll love it.

I don't like tying my cup in place, but yeah if I'm going hard sparring I go for the Thai one. The Jaco one in compression shorts is really good for everything else though. It's not overly flexible but my other flexible one still got my nuts crushed.

Also I know the whole Krav mystique is easy to get sucked into and not to do an effort post on being a hardcunt but I grew up in a lovely area and always had a big mouth I can count a few times where I had dudes try to whoop my rear end when I was young for an assortment of stupid reasons and you don't need a special training course to know its coming. If you have half a brain you'll learn to pick up someone's posture from doing something that will actually help you protect yourself.

There's a really simple question you can ask yourself
Did I hit pads and at least practice positioning / light touch sparring? - if yes = probably good
did I actively practice against a resisting opponent - if yes = money
did I all but mime a technique on a limp "attacking" opponent - if yes = wasting time

The only good "self defence" system I've ever done was taken by a muay thai instructor who had also done Hapkido and BJJ and everything was reinforced with live - albeit light sparring and a lot of padwork.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Yesterday I went with a couple of friends to a ninjitsu class they've been going to for a while (Jinenkan, if that matters). We did sword stuff for an hour, then warmup rolls, then a takedown, then we practiced with these ropes with sock balls at either end (the training version of a chain with 2 weights).

Coming from a ju jitsu background, it all seemed impractical and a little silly (the sock ball weapon in particular). The way they roll is strange, coming up with both feet next to each other, then taking a step, rather than coming up with your feet already apart. Kind of hard to describe). She also didn't want us to slap the mat when falling, which is half the fun. Oh, and the cardinal sin? Hands on the mat when rolling. The way they roll is they get real low and lean forward, hands on the mat, then over the shoulder. I've always been told reaching for the ground when rolling is a recipe for a broken hand.

At $20 per session per person, it's too steep for me (thankfully this was a complimentary first class). I'm just worried my friends are getting taken for a ride and not actually learning anything useful. They seem to enjoy it though.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Also, how did I get... sidekicked in the leg?

You fought Jon Jones or Anderson Silva?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Clanpot Shake posted:

Yesterday I went with a couple of friends to a ninjitsu class they've been going to for a while (Jinenkan, if that matters). We did sword stuff for an hour, then warmup rolls, then a takedown, then we practiced with these ropes with sock balls at either end (the training version of a chain with 2 weights).

Coming from a ju jitsu background, it all seemed impractical and a little silly (the sock ball weapon in particular). The way they roll is strange, coming up with both feet next to each other, then taking a step, rather than coming up with your feet already apart. Kind of hard to describe). She also didn't want us to slap the mat when falling, which is half the fun. Oh, and the cardinal sin? Hands on the mat when rolling. The way they roll is they get real low and lean forward, hands on the mat, then over the shoulder. I've always been told reaching for the ground when rolling is a recipe for a broken hand.

At $20 per session per person, it's too steep for me (thankfully this was a complimentary first class). I'm just worried my friends are getting taken for a ride and not actually learning anything useful. They seem to enjoy it though.

I was trained in judo and also aikido that you should slap as softly as possible because why add force to a fall? And if you're rolling there's almost zero force, so almost no slap.

I dunno about that hand thing, if they're putting weight down that seems bad.

It all still sounds ridiculous.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts
So my 2 year old Keiko gi is getting a little ratty and I have some cash to burn. Any recommendations on a new gi? I like Shoyorolls but they don't sell anything on a regular basis. I've owned Atama (liked), Vulkan Ultra Light (didn't like) and Keiko (liked). Thoughts?

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

I was trained in judo and also aikido that you should slap as softly as possible because why add force to a fall? And if you're rolling there's almost zero force, so almost no slap.

What's the point of slapping at all then? The reasoning I've always heard is that you're spreading out the force over a wider area, or else that you're transferring as much momentum as possible from your body to your arms. Although I've always been a little skeptical; my forearms wind up aching when I train breakfalls on a wrestling mat, let alone a harder surface.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

Xguard86 posted:

It all still sounds ridiculous.
Are you questioning the training methods of real live ninjas?

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

McNerd posted:

What's the point of slapping at all then? The reasoning I've always heard is that you're spreading out the force over a wider area, or else that you're transferring as much momentum as possible from your body to your arms. Although I've always been a little skeptical; my forearms wind up aching when I train breakfalls on a wrestling mat, let alone a harder surface.

Slapping dissipates the force of the fall and kills your momentum so you don't continue to roll (on a shoulder roll or back fall). If you're slapping hard enough to hurt you're slapping way to hard. It doesn't take much to make that connection to the ground. It really doesn't even need to make noise when you slap. Try easing up a bit and see if you can tell a difference in your falls.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

n3rdal3rt posted:

Slapping dissipates the force of the fall and kills your momentum so you don't continue to roll (on a shoulder roll or back fall). If you're slapping hard enough to hurt you're slapping way to hard. It doesn't take much to make that connection to the ground. It really doesn't even need to make noise when you slap. Try easing up a bit and see if you can tell a difference in your falls.

Depends on what kind of fall you're talking about. A good rolling fall doesn't require much of a slap, if any at all. But if you're taking a big fall from a throw or doing an air fall then a hard slap helps a lot and is going to sting a bit.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Thoguh posted:

Depends on what kind of fall you're talking about. A good rolling fall doesn't require much of a slap, if any at all. But if you're taking a big fall from a throw or doing an air fall then a hard slap helps a lot and is going to sting a bit.

This is the closest to how I learned. A roll or fall from standing should sound like a bunch of laundry hitting the floor, but getting thrown to the ground requires you to dissipate the force.

There wasn't a lot of theory in the ninjitsu class I went to, just, "This is how we do it. It's different but not more or less correct."

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Thoguh posted:

I agree. It sounded like he was talking about taking pretty light falls so slapping hard would be overkill. A quick sting is one thing aching forearms is another.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Slapping the mat basically ensures that your arm and shoulder are hitting the floor at the same time as your torso, increasing the surface area making contact and decreasing the lbf/in^2 your body has to sustain from the fall. It's not really about the slap, because your hand isn't all that much area, but the slap is a good habit because it ensures the timing of getting your arms and shoulders down.

It's especially important when you're falling on something like concrete, where if you keep your arms in and have your back curled, your spine is vulnerable to the impact. With your arms spread wide and landing on your upper back, the scapula slide together and your trapezius will protect your spine.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 20, 2014

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Slapping the mat basically ensures that your arm and shoulder are hitting the floor at the same time as your torso, increasing the surface area making contact and decreasing the lbf/in^2 your body has to sustain from the fall. It's not really about the slap, because your hand isn't all that much area, but the slap is a good habit because it ensures the timing of getting your arms and shoulders down.

It's especially important when you're falling on something like concrete, where if you keep your arms in and have your back curled, your spine is vulnerable to the impact. With your arms spread wide and landing on your upper back, the scapula slide together and your trapezius will protect your spine.

That doesn't sound enough like Asian mysticism to be true.....:ninja:

This is by far the best explanation I think I've heard.

n3rdal3rt fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 20, 2014

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I always thought the idea was for the upper arm to land, then the forearm, then the hand in order to increase the time it takes to land. I'm sure I'm not describing that well, but increasing the time it takes to go from falling to not moving decreases the peak force.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Clanpot Shake posted:

I always thought the idea was for the upper arm to land, then the forearm, then the hand in order to increase the time it takes to land. I'm sure I'm not describing that well, but increasing the time it takes to go from falling to not moving decreases the peak force.

Not really. That said, when you can roll with a throw, that's a better option than just landing flat.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 20, 2014

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Mechafunkzilla posted:

That's always what I've been told (well that or some weird "energy waves" bs)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Going to hopefully check out Fonseca martial arts tonight for bjj. Will trip report back.

• Locked thread