Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iamnotcreative
Jul 28, 2002
What, you expected something creative here?

quote:

He said hopes were high when he arrived in Alexandria, Va., a day or so ago and found motels and hotels were sold out for 30 miles around.

Gee, I'm sure without your populist uprising all of the hotels around the nation's capital would have been totally empty.

Edit:

iamnotcreative fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
Making fun of these people seems mean, honestly. Those poor things.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm being totally serious when I say that it's probably to keep the secret FEMA NSA goons from reading his messages. If you say zerobummer, they can't read it.

I peek into the Freeper thread every once in a while and the latest thing I noticed is that they just call him "zero" now. I'm guessing that's from 0bama.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

VitalSigns posted:

Why is w showing up as "vv"? Did you have this chat with him by US Mail, and then use a 1980s parser to turn his handwriting into text to post for us?

Is his w key broken? Is he against the newfangled alphabet with its J's and W's and only the good old Roman letters will do?

Maybe a bird poo poo on his keyboard http://www.somethingawful.com/icq-pranks/icq-transcript-fiveday/4/

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

SedanChair posted:

Also he only got a Bronze Star as an officer, which is basically "under fire, don't shriek and use your troops as a human shield."

It doesn't even take the "under fire" part. All it requires is "exist and don't get in trouble". Both times I deployed everyone E-6 and above got Bronze Stars as participation trophies.

None of these are me because I can't handle touching the poop anymore.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Soviet Commubot posted:

It doesn't even take the "under fire" part. All it requires is "exist and don't get in trouble". Both times I deployed everyone E-6 and above got Bronze Stars as participation trophies.

There are two Bronze Stars. The ones given out like candy to the upper enlisted and officers in your unit was the ordinary Bronze Star, and the way promotion works in the Army you pretty much have to give them out as participation medals or your people won't get promoted (you went to Iraq as an O-5 and didn't get a Bronze Star?! You must have hosed up.)

The Bronze Star with the 'V' device is given for valor, and that has to be under enemy fire. If someone has a Bronze Star for valor, you should give them the benefit of the doubt because they probably really did do something brave as gently caress to risk their own life. The silver star and above can only be given for valor, so those are generally also pretty reliable.

SedanChair posted:

Also he only got a Bronze Star as an officer, which is basically "under fire, don't shriek and use your troops as a human shield."

No.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Soviet Commubot posted:

None of these are me because I can't handle touching the poop anymore.

"Better that all fast food workers should suffer living in poverty either temporarily or permanently, than that one fast food worker should be paid a living wage who does not do their job to my satisfaction."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I bet that automated check-out is a whiz at stocking shelves and sweeping floors. See minimum wage workers, we don't really need you. :smug:

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

There are two Bronze Stars. The ones given out like candy to the upper enlisted and officers in your unit was the ordinary Bronze Star, and the way promotion works in the Army you pretty much have to give them out as participation medals or your people won't get promoted (you went to Iraq as an O-5 and didn't get a Bronze Star?! You must have hosed up.)

The Bronze Star with the 'V' device is given for valor, and that has to be under enemy fire. If someone has a Bronze Star for valor, you should give them the benefit of the doubt because they probably really did do something brave as gently caress to risk their own life. The silver star and above can only be given for valor, so those are generally also pretty reliable.

I'm certainly aware of what a V device is and the criteria for it's issue. The Bronze Star has been a participation trophy since the beginning of OIF 1, my first deployment. The instructions that were sent down at the time were so strict about E-6 being the cutoff that two soldiers from our troop, one an E-7 and the other his driver, an E-3, were recommended for BSMs with V devices, with pretty much identical supporting documentation. The E-7 got his BSM with a V device while the E-3's (who had a slightly stronger case for the BSM) was downgraded to an ARCOM with V device. poo poo was downright silly.

That said, Wikipedia says that the troop turned football guy did actually get a BSM with V device. I have no idea why the guy who made that terrible meme didn't find that an important distinction to make.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
The explanation of the V device was for everyone else, not for you, sorry.

And ahahaha, yeah downgrading the award of the E-3 because the good awards are only for the Illustrious Leadership sounds exactly like the Army. You're exactly right that that kind of institutional prejudice fucks junior enlisted out of awards they also deserve...but still when someone gets a Bronze Star for valor, in my opinion they should get the benefit of the doubt that they probably did deserve it...even if equally deserving people were hosed over because they didn't have any rockers on their collar.

My unit was just as silly. Only commissioned officers got Bronze Stars, and everyone else got ARCOMs...except one of my friends. He got an AAM, because they'd put in his award recommendation first but our first sergeant wasn't sure the battalion would approve an ARCOM for a lowly E-5 (:wtc:) so they illegally whited it out and put AAM on there instead. My friend knew this because he got back the copy with the white-out, and scratched it out to reveal ARCOM underneath.

...but then battalion said they had no problem giving out ARCOM's so when they put the rest of us in for our participation medals, we all got them and my friend was stuck with his AAM.
:laugh:

He was actually pretty pissed at the time though, it is a lot funnier looking back.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 16, 2014

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

AShamefulDisplay posted:

lomao obamaitis

Is Obama a secret Lithuanian now?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

They couldn't protest when it rained because they had to keep their powder dry.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

If the tall brave hetero America soldier is such a hero, why doesn't he go back to the army?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

There was a bit of controversy over even the V award, that it was given out to officers way too often. I don't buy any award for guys over E-5 at face value. Our Sgt Major got a bronze star for training the first Iraqi army volunteers, and those dudes retreated after their first two minute fire fight. Of course our Sgt Major was behind the wire the whole time.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

When I was in (OIF III part Deux), there was a strict order from on high that there would be no promotion or medal ceremonies while in Iraq. Anyone who was promoted just had to buy new insignia and check to make sure they were being paid properly; all the ceremonial stuff would be handled when we got back to the states.

There was certain dickhead officer, well-known for his love of the bullshit side of the military. He once bitched out a sniper for not shaving while he was on an observation post for 5 days outside the wire. He designed this insane weapons-clearing process that involved pulling the trigger in a clearing barrel to prove your weapon was empty, then NJP'd people for accidental discharges in said clearing barrel, even though that's literally the reason for the clearing barrel's existence. He was like a level beyond incompetent that made him dangerous.

Anyway, this order against ceremonies is given, and this officer is pissed because he loves his dog & pony shows. The base they were on didn't have an 'acceptable' area for formations, so he would have everyone he could muster gear up and march outside the wire to a dirt parking lot area for these loving stupid ceremonies.

Promotions and awards were given out on the 5th of the month, IIRC, and like clockwork at 4 pm they'd suit up and march out to this dirt parking lot. The third time they went out, there was an IED waiting. 13 men killed, 17 wounded. One guy could only be identified because he had his wife's name tattooed over his heart, everything else was vaporized.

That officer, the blast having dislocated his shoulder, got a Bronze star with V (for successfully telling the radioman to call for medevac), and a purple heart. I've known guys who have throw away enemy grenades; some of the bravest men on earth, who got nothing. One guy had his BSV commendation denied because the officer who approved them didn't want to look bad when he was writing himself a BS for being so good at approving commendation.

I'm sure the majority of them are legit, but there are a lot of shitbirds that will try to sneak BSV's and other awards into their record jackets under bullshit pretenses. A supply LT wrote himself a BS commendation for successfully distributing gas masks on a training mission in the states. I know a sergeant that tried to get a combat action ribbon by randomly firing out of a convoy truck window in Iraq.

VVV: E: This was infantry. :stare:

red19fire fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 16, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Not denying that some valor medals are bullshit put in by shitbirds, that's going to happen. I'm just saying give Villanueva the benefit of the doubt especially as an infantry 2nd Lieutenant when he got it, there's a decent chance he actually deserved it. Army Ranger platoon leaders see real combat. And remember he's not the one talking up about how he's braver than Sam...it's right-wing shitheads doing that, so let's not rush to poo-poo his medals just because someone else is trying to use him to push a political agenda.

Anyway, holy poo poo, that officer in your story. I remember during my deployment when a mortar attack on base killed several people outside the PX, and as a result we were all required to wear kevlar helmets and vests with our SAPI plates at all times, everywhere, including the dining facility, the shitter, anytime we weren't in a hardened area. Hot, uncomfortable, but hey you know whatever, just drink plenty of water.

Oh, except that the battalion commander loves his formations and espirit de corps so cue the Battalion Fun Run, where we all put on our PT uniforms, threw helmets and vests over our shorts and T-shirts to walk to the airfield...then stripped them off and got in formation to jog around the airfield for a bit...you know, the airfield, where all the helicopters sit that are targets of these mortar attacks. Fortunately, unlike in your story, no mortar attack happened during that hour, because one landing near hundreds of people packed together in loving gym clothes would have been a disaster.

PS: If these stories are becoming a derail and boring people I'll stop; it's just been a while since I've swapped stories of military incompetence with anyone.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Oh god it's way too long to post here but I've got a hell of a thing on my Facebook wall right now where someone posted that story about Columbia's (the university) rape victims (http://jezebel.com/student-named-on-rapist-list-gets-fired-from-campus-pub-1576456252), and it started out OK with just some girls letting off steam joking about taking out the men folk and then it turned into a steaming pile of poo poo when some white guys tried to mansplain to the women why vigilante justice is wrong, besides it's just an accusation, what about the men, blah blah blah, and then one of them called one of the girls a misandrist because she dared to make a quip about how rape makes her feel threatened, and that set me off a bit. I know don't touch the poop but the poop was very close to home.

snip

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

You know you have a solid movement when no one will show up because of rain. I would be interested to know what the occupancy of hotels are around the D.C. area on average just to see how bad this turn out actually was.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

red19fire posted:

Promotions and awards were given out on the 5th of the month, IIRC, and like clockwork at 4 pm they'd suit up and march out to this dirt parking lot. The third time they went out, there was an IED waiting. 13 men killed, 17 wounded. One guy could only be identified because he had his wife's name tattooed over his heart, everything else was vaporized.

Has this happened more than once? On of my friends from the Navy was a SeaBee and told me basically the same story.

He used the phrase "pink mist"

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

gatesealer posted:

You know you have a solid movement when no one will show up because of rain. I would be interested to know what the occupancy of hotels are around the D.C. area on average just to see how bad this turn out actually was.

DC is usually up to its rear end in tourists, especially in the spring. Hotel vacancy meant literally nothing for this non-event.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

Buzkashi posted:

DC is usually up to its rear end in tourists, especially in the spring. Hotel vacancy meant literally nothing for this non-event.

I figured, just wanted to make sure.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I was thinking that a large wedding or quinceanera would have more impact on hotels than this thing.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I was thinking that a large wedding or quinceanera would have more impact on hotels than this thing.

Fewer Gadsdens at a quince though.

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

I tried to respond to this, but I found myself paralyzed by the sheer number of ways to dissect the stupidity of this image. It's just layers upon layers of Stupid. A Stupidity Onion.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Tibeerius posted:

I tried to respond to this, but I found myself paralyzed by the sheer number of ways to dissect the stupidity of this image. It's just layers upon layers of Stupid. A Stupidity Onion.

Sounds like you figured out your response!

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
GAH I hate how Republicans have made this 'Democrat' thing so pervasive. It's just grating to my eyeballs and ears.

It's Democratic politician, not Democrat politician. The latter isn't even grammatical.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

GAH I hate how Republicans have made this 'Democrat' thing so pervasive. It's just grating to my eyeballs and ears.

It's Democratic politician, not Democrat politician. The latter isn't even grammatical.

Excuse me, they fought a REVOLUTION so they wouldn't have to speak English!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
This came up on my pinterest board, it works sort of as a counter FWD FWD FWD:

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Cardboard Box A posted:

This came up on my pinterest board, it works sort of as a counter FWD FWD FWD:

The Z-snap is great. Is that A Thing, or is it original to this image?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
You know, I sometimes ask myself why I do this. This pain, it awaits me every week. And yet, I return to it willingly. I could just stop, walk away, and be free of this dreck. But I did that, someone else would take the duties, and another soul would be in agony. Mine is charred already - my nerves, dulled, my brain heavy. I barely feel it anymore. So I do it because I am almost numb to it. Maybe one day, I will be fully numb, and it will stop hurting.

This week in LL101!

Why do you say I'm paranoid? I'LL loving SHOOT YOU IF YOU SAY I'M PARANOID!

THE JELLY DONUT THING WAS CORRECT YOU UNCULTURED SHITS! Believing that "Ich Bin Ein Berliner" means "I am a Jelly Donut" is like believing "I am a New Yorker" means "I am a magazine"!

Also, who was it who killed forced Syria to stop using chemical weapons without a bullet fired, got Ghadaffi killed without a single amaerican troop dying, and killed Bin Laden, hmm?

Ah good, and now they start designating any relgious leader not agreeing with them enough as evil.

Near as I can tell, this is actually right, and is an infographic based on the results of a poll. SO they decided to make an image macro to publish their poll results? Why would anyone want to share that again?

"How to be funny, from LL101! First take a vulgar quote from an rear end in a top hat, and put his picture behind it. Step 2, share."

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

Near as I can tell, this is actually right, and is an infographic based on the results of a poll. SO they decided to make an image macro to publish their poll results? Why would anyone want to share that again?

You just shared it again, so maybe you're their target audience.

Also, what liberal and moderate democrats answered that poll? Who reads LL101 other than crazy people?

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

This may be the first time in ten years that anyone has spoken, typed, or thought about Steve Urkel. Well, outside of VH1.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The right wing meme of "Obama is Urkel" is one that conservatives use a lot, because ur-fascism requires that the enemy also be seen as stupid, foolish and nonthreatening, and Urkel remains the least threatening black person any Republican can think of.

Also, Urkel was in Wolf of Wall Street.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

I dunno, Thomas Sowell reminds me of Urkel of lot, but he's a conservative hack so I guess it doesn't count?? :confused:

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

Fulchrum posted:

The right wing meme of "Obama is Urkel" is one that conservatives use a lot, because ur-fascism requires that the enemy also be seen as stupid, foolish and nonthreatening, and Urkel remains the least threatening black person any Republican can think of.

I am watching The Wolf of Wall Street for the first time, right now. Leo just got his Swiss bank account. Now I feel like I need to skip around looking for Urkel.

Edit: Ah-ha, Urkel spotted. It's actually Urkel, I was expecting a grown-up Jaleel White.

Centripetal Horse fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 17, 2014

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fulchrum posted:

You were saying?

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!

Fulchrum posted:

THE JELLY DONUT THING WAS CORRECT YOU UNCULTURED SHITS! Believing that "Ich Bin Ein Berliner" means "I am a Jelly Donut" is like believing "I am a New Yorker" means "I am a magazine"!

Also, who was it who killed forced Syria to stop using chemical weapons without a bullet fired, got Ghadaffi killed without a single amaerican troop dying, and killed Bin Laden, hmm?

NO it was our BRAVE Men and women in Uniform who killed those TERRORISTS NOT OBAMA!!!!!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Fulchrum posted:

Except that Steve Urkel, for all the more harmless he seemed, later in the series turned out to be insanely brilliant and capable of feats of science that bent reality. I think they're going more for the "Obama is awkward and annoying" bent than anything.

ArgonHarvester
Sep 6, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Except that Steve Urkel, for all the more harmless he seemed, later in the series turned out to be insanely brilliant and capable of feats of science that bent reality. I think they're going more for the "Obama is awkward and annoying" bent than anything.

Do you think they actually watched Family Matters? I figured it was cultural osmosis more than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

ArgonHarvester posted:

Do you think they actually watched Family Matters? I figured it was cultural osmosis more than anything.

Dr. Jinx: Your parents didn't let you watch The Cosby Show when you was comin' up?
Mac: Oh, my parents would never have let me watch something like that.