Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm using it for PvE. Don't care too much about PvP and just wanted a melee weapon that wasn't my +2 hand axe since I've been using spells almost the entire game so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Motherfucker posted:

Its got all the best moves of quite a few weapon types and absolutely spanks in pvp to such a degree its considered the melee avelyn.

I don't know if I'd go that far, personally I think the lack of range of an actual spear leaves a bit to be desired but that moveset will devastate you if you get stunlocked.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Jose posted:

I'm using it for PvE. Don't care too much about PvP and just wanted a melee weapon that wasn't my +2 hand axe since I've been using spells almost the entire game so far

Probably better without the infusement but I haven't used it much when upgraded. I suspect that it's a bit poo poo. unless you really want to use the nuke a lot in PvE. It doesn't do significant extra damage compared to any other magic infused greatsword, performs worse against bosses since you can't buff and it effectively loses two moves if you aren't using the nuke a lot.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm really glad the PC side of things aren't filled with ultra-competitive, twinked-out sorts. My friends and I are in it only for the PvE and we're all at ludicrously high SM for where we are (3mil+ in Dragon Aerie) in the game since we each beat nearly every boss thus far as a team at least three times [with each of us rotating as host] and we've been invaded a few times by other players of comparable SM.

We've managed to generally not die horribly whenever we're invaded, despite how easy we are to outwit and outplay (guard break? what's that? :downs:).

It's not even a strength in numbers sort of thing, since invasions are as likely to happen as not while we're still in the middle of trying to get our summon signs to show up.

Though I guess serious PvPers are more worried about their SM range than us.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I'm really glad the PC side of things aren't filled with ultra-competitive, twinked-out sorts. My friends and I are in it only for the PvE and we're all at ludicrously high SM for where we are (3mil+ in Dragon Aerie) in the game since we each beat nearly every boss thus far as a team at least three times [with each of us rotating as host] and we've been invaded a few times by other players of comparable SM.

We've managed to not die horribly whenever we're invaded, despite how easy we are to outwit and outplay (guard break? what's that? :downs:).

It's not even a strength in numbers sort of thing, since invasions are as likely to happen as not while we're still in the middle of trying to get our summon signs to show up.

I just want to put it out there that my experience with PVP in the high SM ranges on xbox has been pretty varied. The Havelyns are few and far between.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think anyone that's really serious about that kind of thing isn't just invading random areas, they likely filter into certain areas. Like the bridge in the Iron Keep.

Gastrointestinal Joe
Mar 29, 2010

Magus42 posted:

I just killed them over and over until they stopped spawning when I first hit that bonfire.

ComaPrison posted:

Another alternative is to roll/sprint to the ladder. Unless you're fat rolling/fat walking, you should make it way before they can shoot you.

Absolutely valid tactics no doubt, but there's something amusing about rusty rear end half melted sword stuck in the ground being complete and valid cover from a hail of crossbow fire. Its pretty handy if you really want to decimate their spawn counts quickly. I did it when I burned an Acetic for the Old Witch Soul. Rest>Murder>Rest>Repeat with little to no dancing or movement.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Domattee posted:

Probably better without the infusement but I haven't used it much when upgraded. I suspect that it's a bit poo poo. unless you really want to use the nuke a lot in PvE. It doesn't do significant extra damage compared to any other magic infused greatsword, performs worse against bosses since you can't buff and it effectively loses two moves if you aren't using the nuke a lot.

Well thats annoying since I could have got a second crystal soul spear. I didn't mind farming it too much or upgrading it since I haven't used boss souls for anything else. Levelling my strength has proved to be worth it just to equip the Drangleic shield. Any weapons in general you'd recommend using and infusing to take advantage of my 50 int? Doesn't necessarily have to be a greatsword.

I've got 2 soul vessels so don't mind respeccing to drop my dex if needed and boost str. Getting some End would be nice anyway since I've only got 9

I do like how the MLGS looks mind so will probably stick with it anyway

Jose fucked around with this message at 10:22 on May 17, 2014

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I solo'd most stuff, did a few phantom jobs, and I was SL125 and my SM was 2.5m by Dragon Aerie :darksouls:

I'm not very good at Dark Souls

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Strike weapons are decent since almost everything is weak to strike. Infuse any weapon whose moveset you like with the faint stone and it'll probably do more damage for you than the vanilla version.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Jose posted:

Well thats annoying since I could have got a second crystal soul spear. I didn't mind farming it too much or upgrading it since I haven't used boss souls for anything else. Levelling my strength has proved to be worth it just to equip the Drangleic shield. Any weapons in general you'd recommend using and infusing to take advantage of my 50 int? Doesn't necessarily have to be a greatsword.

I've got 2 soul vessels so don't mind respeccing to drop my dex if needed and boost str. Getting some End would be nice anyway since I've only got 9

I do like how the MLGS looks mind so will probably stick with it anyway

Honestly I'd recommend dropping the shield first but it's up to you. And yeah, you want way more endurance than nine. Having so little stamina (it also affects poise and agility, so you know) seems like a real pain.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I've been using spells almost entirely so have 50 attunement which gives me decent agility as far as I'm aware and I've found I've not really needed any more stamina as a result. Anyway I'm now high enough and have enough equipment to mean I can have a play around with different builds

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Is the game glitching out or what:

I'm trying to enter the castle and the right statue won't activate. I've killed like 30+ hollows spawning from the left side. Last time I played with a different character and just cleared the platform and the doors opened. What is the condition for the doors to open exactly?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Kill a dude right in front of the statue.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

love that gif. that crystal lizard is having a great time.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Crystal Lizards: Absolute masters of evasion, or are we just stupid (we are stupid)

So finished up my first PC playthrough. The boxing champ, spear-twirling, lightning-hurling La Doncella goes to chill for a while on the throne.

Thousands of years later they will find her perfectly-preserved mummy. (now I need to come up with names of more famous corpses for new characters)

...or they'll find nothing, because she's actually chillin' with the Ancient Dragon, smoking Green Blossom and enjoying the beautiful view at the ends of the earth. One more Fashion Souls for the road:

Humble, but my ultimate ensemble for the Pugilist on Pilgrimage is everything it ought to be.

On another note, while in the Giant Memories, I noticed something neat:

You can see a bit of skyline of Drangleic as an actual kingdom. Judging by those rooftops, the fortress may have been part of a large port city.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

I'm soul memory 925k, and level 110. I'm only just up to starting the iron keep. Is central earthen peak my only real chance for sunbroing?

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

You can sunbro just about everywhere.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Schmetterling posted:

I'm soul memory 925k, and level 110. I'm only just up to starting the iron keep. Is central earthen peak my only real chance for sunbroing?

At around 1mill you can usually get bites at any of the 4 great souls, as well as through Drangleic Castle. I actually have problems getting summoned in Drangleic if I come there in the 600-800k SM range.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Domattee posted:

The Grave of Saints and Doors of Pharros are a no summon zone (ratbros hate you). So is the Giant Lord (although there are NPC phantoms on offer there) and I'm pretty sure you can't summon people for Vendrick either. I believe that you can summon other players to help against every other boss, including the Ancient Dragon.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

I meant that at 1M SM he is going get hits for sunbroing at (almost) every sunbroable boss, not that he can literally sunbro everywhere.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

At around 1mill you can usually get bites at any of the 4 great souls, as well as through Drangleic Castle. I actually have problems getting summoned in Drangleic if I come there in the 600-800k SM range.

So last sinner then?

Domattee posted:

I tried sitting at heides tower and got no bites in ten minutes.

Also it is really hard to convince people to burn the windmill.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Well, that's not really true. :v: He'd likely be best off just dropping a sign in Iron Keep, maybe the boss of Earthen Peak like he mentioned before. The end areas of the four paths (not including Sinner's Rise) would be good for that but one million is kinda a lot for earlier bosses.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

Well, that's not really true. :v: He'd likely be best off just dropping a sign in Iron Keep, maybe the boss of Earthen Peak like he mentioned before. The end areas of the four paths (not including Sinner's Rise) would be good for that but one million is kinda a lot for earlier bosses.

So should I try iron keep alone then, so I can do boss runs? I've not gone any further than the first bonfire there.

Also I'm a lady, and a butterfly. those bonfire ascetics at majula were worth it :allears:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Schmetterling posted:

So should I try iron keep alone then, so I can do boss runs? I've not gone any further than the first bonfire there.

Also I'm a lady, and a butterfly. those bonfire ascetics at majula were worth it :allears:

No harm in trying. You can just drop a sign by the bonfire and walk people through, you learn the lay of the land at no risk that way. A lot of people have problems with the first boss of the Keep and will want a summon, so if you're in range you'll know soon enough.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

I've got a character at 1.3M that's getting hits at heides every few minutes. Last Giant, Pursuer and the sentinels are the only bosses that get really dry because of how close the tiers are at low SM, and even those pick up up again at >1.5SM with NG+ people. Heides in particular gets people because they haven't done Ornstein yet or went to the bastille via pursuer and haven't beaten Dragonrider as a result.

e: Well, you'll get less hits at Heides/Wharf/Copse, etc. you'll have to wait a couple minutes more but you don't have to worry about the host running into a smelter pulse or a poison pool either.

Domattee fucked around with this message at 11:57 on May 17, 2014

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
I got like 2.4m SM in my regular run, I struggled to get many hits, but I found Velstadt was a pretty sure thing within 2 minutes of putting a sign down.

If you dont know, there's also a setting to turn of region locking for online play, it's on by default.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

I've done three people so far in the mill and only one hadn't burnt it prior to summoning me :3: good hosts.

One got et by the mimic

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Does anyone know if there is some sort of casting implement that has a parry in the left hand?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Manatee Cannon posted:

No harm in trying. You can just drop a sign by the bonfire and walk people through, you learn the lay of the land at no risk that way. A lot of people have problems with the first boss of the Keep and will want a summon, so if you're in range you'll know soon enough.

That area is used for PvP a lot, so you might get summoned into to fight other players.

And one important fact about the first boss in Iron Keep is that it's optional.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Rudager posted:

I got like 2.4m SM in my regular run, I struggled to get many hits, but I found Velstadt was a pretty sure thing within 2 minutes of putting a sign down.

If you dont know, there's also a setting to turn of region locking for online play, it's on by default.

I've got that off, same with the voice chat
I've done a big chunk of the game as co-op with "Al Borland" so we had to do that to be able to talk

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

That area is used for PvP a lot, so you might get summoned into to fight other players.

Done it three times now :D

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Genocyber posted:

Well for one thing don't go over 70% equip load. There's never any reason to, go naked if you have to.

Generally you don't want to rely on shields for PVP because anyone decent will just guardbreak you. Shields are for parrying (and rapiers/curved swords are better for that), mainly. The only greatshield I would recommend for PVP is Rebel's for blocking magic. Attacking with it isn't a bad idea, either; the jump attack for greatshields is actually pretty good.

If you're hitting someone with a guardbreak, it's likely that it's a newbie who doesn't know the move exists. Guardbreaking is the single most punishable move in the game, never use it if you suspect your playing against someone who isn't trying to play by throwing furniture at their controller from across the room.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Schmetterling posted:

Done it three times now :D

Did you actually manage to beat it and have the host stay alive?

Because in my experience it's like the ballista at Pursuer. Like loving clockwork.

Someone will try to shoot one and kill a player instead.

The host will charge in to get apparent free hits after the plunge attack and die.

Fromsoft, it's good to have sucker-bait to test our combat savvy. Now if only so many players weren't complete friggin suckers.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

If you worry about that stuff, just drop the sign by the boss door and you'll almost never get summoned for anything but boss fights. I've been summoned to deal with an invader a couple times but it's really rare. Though once after killing the blue cop the host kicked me out. I just wanted a sun medal. :smith:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Manatee Cannon posted:

If you worry about that stuff, just drop the sign by the boss door and you'll almost never get summoned for anything but boss fights. I've been summoned to deal with an invader a couple times but it's really rare. Though once after killing the blue cop the host kicked me out. I just wanted a sun medal. :smith:

Yeah, I just like using the small summon stone to get back humanity and recharge stuff. Works fine most of the time, just not when you run into unofficial PvP areas.

fuxxo
Feb 17, 2010

Fucking Pokemon, how do they Surf?

Nostratic posted:

Yeah, I don't even know where that is. I've gotten as far as Heide's Tower of Flame and killed the Dragonrider. Which is where I got all the free goodies from an invader and subsequently :darksouls:'d myself.

From a couple pages back but just so you know if you straight up kill the Emerald Herald you can pay additional souls to use her services again (each time you want to).

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Gah got an invader as I was setting up for the tenth(?) sign. Binoculars and lightning woo

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Was curious as to whether or not I could fix up some of the horrible environment textures in the game and so I looked up a texturing tutorial. Discovered it is possible if I am willing to devote weeks of my life to it.

Oh well. I can just recolor an armor black and call it a day according to the Nexus. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

More infusion fuckery - Ring of Blades is affected by the infusion (+2 is only added 35 damage to my Fire Curved DGS)