Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
What's a "two week call from the union"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
It means you go and work a job for two weeks as it sounds. Jobs are usually temporary, at least in the electrical field, from what I've seen. You may get called up to go wire a single floor of a building and then when the work is over you're back to being unemployed.

I fully expect the landscape guy to tell you to gently caress off when you say you're bailing for 2 weeks. It's way too easy to find someone to do that kind of work that won't need to take time off unfortunately. If you don't know the boss personally I'd be pretty surprised if they let you do it. Hope that it all works out for you though man!

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

He's the husband of my mom's good friend. I just talked to him and he told me to give a call once I get laid off again. I told him ahead of time that poo poo like this would happen so he knew the deal. He's a good dude.

Funny how many friends I have in the union though. One of the board members just called me to tell me that they still haven't made a decision on accepting me into the inside wireman program yet but to delete all my rants off FB before someone important sees it. This is what happens when I get pissed off and slam half a bottle of 100 proof schnapps at once.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Got a flat today. A little piece of metal was poking out. It kinda looked like a broken off washer or a key. So the tire shop pulled it out with pliars and

:stare:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
You piss off a barber or something?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
How did they get the dollar bill out of the tire without tearing it? That's impressive.

yes, I know it's just for scale

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

Well how was Godzilla? And who the gently caress is John Byrne?

Excellent film. John Byrne is old comic artist who's also an enormous prick.

meatpimp posted:

If only there was a way to find out. It'd be great if we could just type in a question and find an answer immediately.

Or, since it's Rhyno, just assume it's comic book related.

One of the few BSS posters I don't want to see beaten to death changed his avatar in a similar way as a throwback to the beginning of the subforum 10 years ago. In BSS it's well known that I want to see John Byrne die in a very painful way.

meatpimp posted:

Rhyno's not your monk-- Yeah. Say it Rhyno, say it.

Sega?

Phone posted:

Idk what to tell you if you don't read Rhyno's posts as the Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons.

Not anymore, waaaaaay to thin for that now. Down to 201,

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

kastein posted:

How did they get the dollar bill out of the tire without tearing it? That's impressive.

The real fun part is that today I learned the RX8 is not equipped with a spare tire of any kind. Also it has weird T shaped frame rails that are currently being bent by the borrowed donut its laying on so the rotor wouldnt die when the lovely jack inevitably fails.

On the bright side, my jeep hit a new 0-60 record today: 35 seconds. :unsmith:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Great Beer posted:

The real fun part is that today I learned the RX8 is not equipped with a spare tire of any kind. Also it has weird T shaped frame rails that are currently being bent by the borrowed donut its laying on so the rotor wouldnt die when the lovely jack inevitably fails.

On the bright side, my jeep hit a new 0-60 record today: 35 seconds. :unsmith:

So it has run flats as standard right?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Great Beer posted:

Got a flat today. A little piece of metal was poking out. It kinda looked like a broken off washer or a key. So the tire shop pulled it out with pliars and

:stare:

kastein posted:

That's nothing, the blade was originally much bigger but that was before the tire had all that deflation

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Preoptopus posted:

So it has run flats as standard right?

Slime and an airpump. A spare was a dealer option. Welcome to modern cars

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Snowdens Secret posted:

That's nothing, the blade was originally much bigger but that was before the tire had all that deflation

Ron Paul was right. Steel standard > fiat currency

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Brigdh posted:

Slime and an airpump. A spare was a dealer option. Welcome to modern cars

Sadly true. A lovely jack and an 8 inch long tire iron that doubles as the jack handle are all it comes with. You have to buy the pump and slime separately. Not that it would have helped much in this case. The scissor blade didnt go in straight and cut a gash about 2 inches long. There was maybe 60 seconds from me hearing the noise to the tire being completely flat. Whatever. Road damage warranty covered it. :toot:

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Great Beer posted:

You have to buy the pump and slime separately.

?

Mine and everyone I've seen has the airpump/slime kit, and I recall it being mentioned in the owners manual. Are you sure the previous owner wasn't a dick and removed it (I'm assuming you bought used)?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Brigdh posted:

?

Mine and everyone I've seen has the airpump/slime kit, and I recall it being mentioned in the owners manual. Are you sure the previous owner wasn't a dick and removed it (I'm assuming you bought used)?

Yeah, its an older 04. I've never bought a new car because the idea of throwing that much money away on depreciation hurts me. If it came with it, it was long gone by the time I got it last year.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
I don't know how it happened, and I wish I had realized it earlier so I could've gotten a picture. Today while sitting at a light in downtown Orlando I saw a white HSV Maloo ute.

I have no idea how it's here in the country but it was a much more recent model maybe 08 or later.

Of course after realizing what it was I was tempted to turn around and try to follow the car to ask the guy what the hell it's doing here in the States.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There is a company doing legal imports on those. They have to retrofit all the safety gear from GTOs and G8s though.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Can I ask a question to all the guys that work in shops? What do you wear for shoes/boots all day to help with back pain?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Rhyno posted:

There is a company doing legal imports on those. They have to retrofit all the safety gear from GTOs and G8s though.
Ahh so that's how they get around the import restrictions, I imagine they cost an arm and a leg when it's all said and done after getting all those modifications done.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

real_scud posted:

I don't know how it happened, and I wish I had realized it earlier so I could've gotten a picture. Today while sitting at a light in downtown Orlando I saw a white HSV Maloo ute.

I have no idea how it's here in the country but it was a much more recent model maybe 08 or later.

Of course after realizing what it was I was tempted to turn around and try to follow the car to ask the guy what the hell it's doing here in the States.

Rhyno posted:

Paging Super Aggro Crag, paging Super Aggro Crag to the chat thread...

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

QuarkMartial posted:

Can I ask a question to all the guys that work in shops? What do you wear for shoes/boots all day to help with back pain?

Good boots with insoles, with at least a composite toe protector.

Currently on some redwings with Dr scholes fancy back pain insoles I bought on amazon.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

mafoose posted:

Good boots with insoles, with at least a composite toe protector.

Currently on some redwings with Dr scholes fancy back pain insoles I bought on amazon.

Speaking of insoles, that reminded me to find these again. Heat moldable ones that are supposed to be pretty good: http://www.hanksclothing.com/red_wing_heat_moldable_insoles_buy.html. Anyone ever used these?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
gm_build_quality.jpg

also

presumably they had to stop their evaluators and drivers from using the term "kevorkianesque" because they were doing it too much

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
"Corvair-like"? Talk about a low blow!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ahh, so their cars killing people isn't a problem with people being killed.

It's a communication problem! :downs:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
And some wonder why people of a certain age think, instead of a bailout, GM not only should have been left to die, it should have been burned and the ashes scattered.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Snowdens Secret posted:

And some wonder why people of a certain age think, instead of a bailout, GM not only should have been left to die, it should have been burned and the ashes scattered.

Pontiac could have been given a pass. gently caress the rest.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Saturn could have been given a pass. gently caress the rest.

FTFY

... I still want a Sky :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HotCanadianChick posted:

FTFY

... I still want a Sky :(

That was the only good thing! Pontiac had lots of good things.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Rhyno posted:

E: just going to replace what I typed with this, it's far more succinct:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HotCanadianChick posted:

Which ones? The Vibe? The Aztek? The N-body Grand Am? The Sunfire?

At least Saturn initially tried some genuinely new things, Pontiac had been badge-engineering incarnate for over 25 years by the time they finally shut off the iron lung.

I didn't say they were recent!

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Vibe (because Toyota), G8 (because Holden), Solstice (wasn't the platform Vauxhall's idea?)
So basically every good thing in their last 5 years or so had to come from another continent. But they put red dash lights in everything which is thoroughly commendable.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

If you're going with that line of thought, then the Cobalt/Ion/G5, and the successor (Cruze) would count as European; the Chevy Volt would also count as an import, as would the Chevy Equinox. They all ride on variations of the Delta platform, which we can thank Opel for.

Oh hey, how about the Camaro? It's based on the Zeta platform (just like the G8), which we should be thanking Holden for. The Chevy SS is also built on that platform.

:spergin:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Sinestro posted:

"Corvair-like"? Talk about a low blow!

It's now my goal in life to write a novel with every one of these words and phrases.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

some texas redneck posted:

If you're going with that line of thought, then the Cobalt/Ion/G5, and the successor (Cruze) would count as European; the Chevy Volt would also count as an import, as would the Chevy Equinox. They all ride on variations of the Delta platform, which we can thank Opel for.

Oh hey, how about the Camaro? It's based on the Zeta platform (just like the G8), which we should be thanking Holden for. The Chevy SS is also built on that platform.

:spergin:

Well yeah GM relies pretty heavily on global platforms in general, but I'm just saying that everything in the category of 'cars in Pontiac's twilight years that don't blow rear end' are on such platforms. Which I guess could be said for the whole corporation today but it was different five years ago. Sort of.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I think I just found the inspiration to redo my car late summer / fall this year. Soft 8's look so drat good. I'm thinking those, repainting the car flat black (leaving the beater dents and all), possibly switching from Flowtech Red Hots to Dynomax Race Bullets, and then eventually doing some mild engine work once I save up a bit. This is going to be awesome if it comes together :allears:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Burning oil like a true Crown Vic.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I've found myself looking at 07-10 Toyota Camry Hybrids. :ohdear: I feel like I'm going to have to turn in my AI membership card. drat this 40 mile commute and $4/gal gas.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Woke up to this wonderful text message from my brother this morning "Since I owed taxes I don't get a refund. WTF" For some reason I don't think he understands how taxes work.

Saw Godzilla last night, had some pretty awesome moments and a lot of kind of boring poo poo. Last fight was pretty awesome and made up for them cutting away from all the previous fights. Felt like the wife/kid of the main guy were pretty pointless in the scheme of things. Overall pretty decent. why the hell did they kill of Cranston right away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Last night I completed my second B5 oil pan this month. Pain in the oval office but at least I'm getting faster. 9 hours this time.

I've read a few how-to's on that job by people who weren't on a lift. I bow to their greatness.

the spyder posted:

I've found myself looking at 07-10 Toyota Camry Hybrids. :ohdear: I feel like I'm going to have to turn in my AI membership card. drat this 40 mile commute and $4/gal gas.

Those are so goddamn not comfortable. Seats made for fat Americans...

• Locked thread