Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

quote:

Forget Hot Skitty-on-Wailord Action - hot Unicorn-On-8-year-old-Cute-Ghost-Girl action is where you start asking yourself how much you REALLY want that egg...

It's like Mad Libs for pedophiles!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
So some kid got banned for apparently loving up whatever horrible format the mods agreed on.

Ecclytennysmithylove posted:

It's been almost a week since I've been away from TV Tropes? Could you at least please turn the PM system back on so I can chat with my friends again?

Deadbeatloser22 posted:

You were PM banned to stop you nagging us about "stuff [you] could be fixing" as if that would make us more likely to unban you.

I know, but aside from that I just want to chat with my friends.

Happy Mother's Day, BTW. :)

Fighteer posted:

Not our problem.

I promise I'll stop nagging you about "stuff I could be fixing". I already got over it since I've been away from TV Tropes for about a week.

Madrugada posted:

NO

quote:

@Madrugada: You did not look at the email my father sent to you, did you? His email address is (removing this poo poo because no creepy loving internet detective hounding of some teen)

She's been at this for weeks, including all the usual things like 'literally crying', lots of 'I won't do it again' (apparently after being reported and banned like, three or four times), and more.

fake edit: There's a loving relationship status title, now...

Actual edit: Nate returns.

Nate Spidgewood posted:

STOP SPAMMING PAGES WITH THE STUPID lovely rear end IRRELEVENT NAMESPACES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TV TROPES DOESN'T '''DESERVE''' TO BE ANOTHER WIKIPEDIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S '''NOT''' WIKIPEDIA, AS THE loving HOMEPAGE SAYS SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S A GODDAMN WIKI ABOUT '''TROPING, MEDIA, ART AND FANDOM'''!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NAMESPACES ARE SUPPOSED TO BE ''ONLY'' USED FOR FRIGGIN' ADAPTATIONS, NAMESAKES AND SUBPAGES, ''NOT WORK AND CREATOR PAGES, WHICH SHOULD STAY IN MAIN''!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS KIND OF SPAM IS ONE OF THE '''WORST''' THINGS TO EVER HAPPEN TO TV TROPES SINCE 2010!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LEAVE YOUR GODDAMN STUPID NAMESPAM TO MOTHERFUCKING WIKIPEDIA AND STOP TOUCHING ARTICLES, ASSHOLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JackMackerel fucked around with this message at 08:20 on May 12, 2014

Apple Tree
Sep 8, 2013

AlbieQuirky posted:

Though it would be interesting to see Lars Von Trier's take on a Troper's life.

Ring the bells in Heaven to celebrate a woman with the mind of a child letting herself be raped to death? Oh wait.

Actually, let's see:

quote:

Breaking The Waves...

Break the Cutie: Bess. Oh. So. Much.

Lighter and Softer: Is this to the rest of Lars von Trier's filmography. True, it does still have a fair amount of the angst and gloom that defines much of the dour von Trier's oeuvre, especially towards the end, but it's leavened by more humor and exuberance than 90% of his other films.

Okaaaayyy...

Apple Tree fucked around with this message at 08:39 on May 12, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DStecks posted:

If Iron Man had been released as a Christian film, with the only alteration to the plot a minor scene where Tony Stark becomes born again, it would have been called massively unsubtle. It would have been called Invincible and starred Kirk Cameron and been terrible, also.

Superheroes are a cash cow at the moment and I'm honestly surprised Kirk Cameron hasn't decided to get in on it by adapting Bibleman to the big screen.

His arch-enemy could be Bananaman. :v:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

JackMackerel posted:

So some kid got banned for apparently loving up whatever horrible format the mods agreed on.

She's been at this for weeks, including all the usual things like 'literally crying', lots of 'I won't do it again' (apparently after being reported and banned like, three or four times), and more.

fake edit: There's a loving relationship status title, now...

It's slightly more pathetic than just some teenager:

quote:

UPDATE: Last night, I sent an email to the thestaff@tvtropes.org to appeal my suspension. If the resulting decision doesn't turn out what I expect, then I regret that I became a member of TVTropes.

I thought you guys weren't suppose to make me feel bad and distance myself from the site. I trusted you. I'm 23 years old single woman who's desperately searching for a husband. I was diagnosed with Aspergers syndrome at the age of 10, and I sometimes lose my temper whenever things don't go right, though I'm slowly getting better.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

AlbieQuirky posted:

Tony Stark doesn't do any of the things Deboss would do, because "push shopping carts" and "post interminable idiotic screeds on embarrassing fansite" don't make for cinematic gold.

Though it would be interesting to see Lars Von Trier's take on a Troper's life.

I think the subject matter calls for Werner Hertzog. He excels when dealing with mad obsessions.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

quote:

UPDATE: Last night, I sent an email to the thestaff@tvtropes.org to appeal my suspension. If the resulting decision doesn't turn out what I expect, then I regret that I became a member of TVTropes.

I thought you guys weren't suppose to make me feel bad and distance myself from the site. I trusted you. I'm 23 years old single woman who's desperately searching for a husband. I was diagnosed with Aspergers syndrome at the age of 10, and I sometimes lose my temper whenever things don't go right, though I'm slowly getting better.

Yes, put that emotional pressure of your potential regret on the mods. :devil:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Doesn't Aspergers not exist anymore?

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

It still exists but IIRC it isn't a thing people are diagnosed with anymore, you'd just be diagnosed with autism.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

It;s been worked into the autism spectrum as of the new DSM.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

JackMackerel posted:

I'm not even sure what a namespace is but it sounds like Serious. loving. Business. :stare:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Depends what country you live in essentially. Americans (now) use the DSM-V which folded Aspergers Syndrome into the general umbrella diagnosis of autistic spectrum disorders. So instead of receiving an AS diagnosis you'd be diagnosed as having an ASD with whatever severity it is.

In the UK I believe we still diagnose Aspergers syndrome as we favour the ICD-10, I'll have to check with a psychologist at some point though because I'm not 100% sure and I know the DSM-V is also used in this country.

In real terms though the debate has always been about whether there's a significant difference between AS and high functioning autism. Based on my own personal experience I'd argue that there is a difference and that the diagnoses should be seperate, but I believe there's a lack of empirical evidence one way or the other.

With regards to this woman, I'm not gonna comment cause I'm here to make fun of people, not nurse them.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

FrozenVent posted:

I'm not even sure what a namespace is but it sounds like Serious. loving. Business. :stare:

You know how some pages have side-pages like YMMV or Analysis? YMMV and Analysis are namespaces.

And yes, some pages really do have Analysis side-pages. Like this one:

Analysis: The Good Guys Always Win posted:

This trope, The Good Guys Always Win, is fundamentally a rejection of one of The Seven Basic Plots - that is, tragedy. The fact that this trope is so prevalent in our current popular culture sphere indicates that at some point, there was a massive depletion of tragedy. Perhaps this is the result of Moral Guardians in the mid-twentieth century realizing Do Not Do This Cool Thing. After all, a tragedy is based in the main character doing something wrong and being punished for it. A Moral Guardian would reason that the punishment is insufficient to make the "evil" actions unappealing. They might have been provoked into this by the trend of films with Villain Protagonists who are punished at the last moment to appease moral guardians. In any case, we can take The Good Guys Always Win as a severe limitation on story structure. Stories are now unable to focus on unresolved injustice, and stories are now unable to focus on justice being applied to unrighteous protagonists. Stories are now forced to focus on rewards being applied to righteous protagonists through exertion of their effort. This might be linked to the relentless positivity of modern-day Western "nice" discourse, wherein constructive criticism is taken to mean "praise of what deserves praise", children are taught that "no", "bad", "wrong", and "dumb" are bad words, and "if you can't say anything nice, say nothing at all" is the rule.
—PDown

drat kids these days.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

quote:

This might be linked to the relentless positivity of modern-day Western "nice" discourse, wherein constructive criticism is taken to mean "praise of what deserves praise", (...) "if you can't say anything nice, say nothing at all" is the rule.

:irony:

Do they still have the "Don't say anything negative about anything" policy in place?

Alpacalips Now
Oct 4, 2013

Lottery of Babylon posted:

drat kids these days.

It's sad how awkward young people with nothing to lose and everything to gain can act so much like bitter old men.

From Infinite Jest's YMMV page:

quote:

Hilarious in Hindsight: That part about Orin getting onto to Boston University's football team? One year after the novel was published, the university disbanded its football team.

I can't be the only one shocked that someone on TVTropes knows anything about college football.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Saeku posted:

The person who used to post as "Made of Meat" is somebody I know. Her TVTropes posts are untreated early-onset schizophrenia talking. She's on medication now and doing much better.

So yeah, the Made of Meat stuff is a lot less funny in-context.

I feel bad having brought her up now, then. And seconding those who are glad to hear she's hopefully doing better.

(Though I think it does say something about tropers that someone literally posting from a very literally mentally ill mind-place doesn't really stick out that much or seem out of place)

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
If she didn't stick out she wouldn't've come to the thread's attention as much as she did, I think, but I'm pretty sure you're right in that it wasn't immediately obvious to us she was genuinely mentally ill due to the community surrounding her.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Flesnolk posted:

If she didn't stick out she wouldn't've come to the thread's attention as much as she did, I think, but I'm pretty sure you're right in that it wasn't immediately obvious to us she was genuinely mentally ill due to the community surrounding her.

Yeah. "Stick out" wasn't really the expression I was looking for but I couldn't think of a better way to word it.

Which kind of makes me :smith: about other people on that site who possibly need real psychiatric help in real life.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
Namtab (and anyone else who might plan to do read-throughs of Troper fanfiction in the future), I found out that you can in fact get around the way FF.net blocks text selection by using Firefox and NoScript to turn off scripts on the page. Though it's probably better for your health if you stay away from there anyway.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Ratspeaker posted:

Namtab (and anyone else who might plan to do read-throughs of Troper fanfiction in the future), I found out that you can in fact get around the way FF.net blocks text selection by using Firefox and NoScript to turn off scripts on the page. Though it's probably better for your health if you stay away from there anyway.

You realize you're just feeding their compulsions, right. If they had a choice they wouldn't be doing it without noscript in the first place.

Seek help, Namtab. Self destructive behavior is treatable :(

:v:

Apple Tree
Sep 8, 2013

sweeperbravo posted:

Yeah. "Stick out" wasn't really the expression I was looking for but I couldn't think of a better way to word it.

Which kind of makes me :smith: about other people on that site who possibly need real psychiatric help in real life.

That was something that stood out to me about Miss Aspie, 23, Desperately Seeks Husband, actually.

The thing is, if you're modding on a site that's pretty much Let's List Things Dot Com, you're going to get a certain amount of ASD in your natural readership. Being able to handle that should be a basic skill for mods. But if you look at the exchange... well, let's look at the exchange.

quote:

If it's because I've been moving some several DMOS posts to their own DMOS pages, then I apologize. I was giving the DMOS pages some clean up.

I promise I'll put them in folders instead.

At this point, she's being polite, if a bit confused. This would be the moment to say 'Thanks for your courtesy but the ban stands' and shut down the discussion before it escalates.

quote:

Fighteer posted:

~Ecclytennysmithylove: Your enthusiasm is appreciated, but you've been continually drawing attention to yourself by doing things that aren't necessary or are straight up incorrect, then disregarding people asking you to stop. Recently there was a flap over you getting Needs More Love confused with Needs Wiki Magic Love, and just now the DMOS thing. Just because three examples is the minimum for a subpage doesn't mean you need to make one every time a work acquires that many.

This keeps happening. You're on your third suspension, and there was a separate report after the last one that you were posting cut Real Life examples from the Panty Shot article on its Discussion page.

I'm just not seeing a pattern of understanding our rules.

All right, it's an explanation. Fair enough. Considering the ASD-attracting content, though, you really need to add 'So the ban stands' to make it clear, otherwise it sounds like an argument, not laying down the law.

quote:

I've became a member of Tvtropes since November 2013, so I'm new to the rules. sad

As for the Needs More Love, why can't we just make a new trope Needs More Episodes?

And as for the Panty Shots, I didn't post Real Life examples, I posted Anime/Manga examples in the discussion page. Somebody must've hacked into my account and posted Real Life examples.

And sure enough, she picked up on the explicit content of the mod's reply, not the implied 'no'. This is the point to say, 'Sorry, but this is not up for discussion. I've explained the ban, and it stands.'

quote:

Fighteer posted:

I've talked to the other mods and the consensus is that it's not worth it to deal with your messes. Six months is more than enough time for most people to learn how the site works, so the fact that it's taken you this long to figure it out — after two prior suspensions, no less — is indicative of a problem on your end, not ours. We're not going to go through it a fourth time.

Sorry, your suspension won't be lifted. You may read the wiki, but may not edit.

Edit: I erred in the Panty Shot thing. It wasn't Real Life examples; it was examples, period. The article is under an examples lockout, so circumventing that by putting them in the Discussion page is an intentional rules violation.

Okay, well done, Fighteer. That was the right course of action. Now, considering that she's clearly desperate to get her editing privileges back and tends to argue with the reasons while ignoring the 'no', this is the point to stop engaging with her. You've laid down the law, leave it at that.

quote:

*sigh* Fine... But that also means I'm not going to continue moving some marked tropes to YMMV/Trivia pages. sad *bangs myself on the wall until theirs blood coming out of my head*.

I didn't know that putting the Panty Shot examples in the Discussion page was an intentional rules violation. You could've at least insert the rules about no inserting examples in the Discussion page in the first place.

Oh dear. This is the point where you might start to worry about her, what with the blood and all. Either tell her to get help or stop engaging: prolonging the extinction burst isn't going to help either of you.

quote:

Fighteer posted:

This is exactly what we're talking about. Most people, seeing a message on the article reading "No examples, please" would realize that we mean No examples, please. Not you, apparently, which is part of the reason we're here. You aren't the only person who's able to transplant YMMV and Trivia examples, either.

No, no, no. You've made your reasons clear and anybody sensible reading them would understand your point. Repeating them only lets her know that you're going to keep talking as long as she does. Does she really come across as someone who'll let you have the last word? The girl is escalating. For her sake and yours, stop now and give her some space to calm down.

quote:

Well, since this is the third I've been suspended, I take responsibilities for my actions, and I'd rather be better off moving marked tropes to YMMV/Trivia pages than not realizing that I'm breaking the rules.

This, Fighteer does have the sense to ignore. But then she gets it going again...

quote:

Ok, after a long hour or two of reading the TVtrope Rules, I'm ready to be un-suspended. I vow myself that I will NOT do anything else other than moving marked tropes to the YMMV/Trivia pages.

LEAVE IT ALONE. LEAVE IT ALONE. This discussion isn't going to go anywhere you want it to, Fighteer. She's telling you loud and clear that she either doesn't accept or doesn't understand that mods can ban people for whatever reason they choose and it's not up to the ban-ee to change that. The more you talk to her, the more you confirm her impression that it's negotiable.

quote:

Fighteer posted:

@Ecclytennysmithylove: Not only are you not persuading me, sending me PMs pointing out issues with the wiki that you "could be fixing" is only going to make me turn off those privileges as well. If you want to retain any ability to access the wiki, you would do well to accept our decision.

Just stop. You are talking to someone who ignores every 'no' and every warning you give her and verbally self-harms at you. You do not have to reply to her PMs. Either ignore her or ban her. Telling her not to do something does not work, it keeps her engaged.

quote:

....then I'm going to regret that I joined TV Tropes.... sad

Ohhh dear. At this point all becomes clear: she's Aspie and very possibly depressed, or at least miserable, and is not going to let go of any hope of a place she might belong. Continually telling her 'no' isn't going to get through. What it is going to do is make her more upset. She's going to have to go through a grieving process, and you need to let her start on it.

We make fun of people on this site, yes, but this is the moment where a Something Awful mod would do two things: ban her to put everyone out of their misery, and add a note in the banning saying 'You should get some psychological help.' Because that's what she actually needs to be told.

quote:

Madrugada posted:

You thought wrong. Our job isn't to make sure you don't feel bad. Our job is to protect the wiki. And what your life is or isn't is not really anything we can do anything about. The "poor me" card has no value.

Oooh, oooh, I know this one: she's using the 'poor me' card! It's a trope! Categorise it! :eng101:

Really, this is just lovely. You don't have to comfort her, but you're supposed to be a hugbox - the least you could do would be to say 'Sorry for your personal problems, but...' And considering that this is a list site that purports to be all nice, you really ought to have a few standard places like autism support groups and the Samaritans' e-mail at the ready for situations like this. It'd save you trouble, and it might help someone.

gently caress the person, save the tropes! :golfclap:

quote:

Well, you guys are really helping me getting over my problem. smile

And you're right about the "poor me" card having no value, but it's the truth about me. I've also been a victim of emotional abuse in past (as mentioned in my Doctor Who DMOS post on the episode "Father's Day"). Example: being insulted by someone because of my poor communication.

This kid needs help. You don't have to give it, but at least tell her to get it.

quote:

Madrugada posted:

We're not going to lift your wiki-editing ban. The point that matters is that however well-intentioned you are, you're making messes that have to be cleaned up by someone else. That doesn't make the wiki better, it makes it worse and it means someone else has to do extra work just to bring it back to the condition it was in before.

Madrugada, Fighteer told her that exact same thing already. Did it solve the situation?

quote:

What did I just say before? "I vow to myself that I will NOT do anything else other than moving the marked tropes to the YMMV/Trivia pages." That is a promise. I've changed for good.

And because you turned down my appeal, I'm going drown my sorrow and regret that I became a member of TV Tropes the whole time. My mother was right. I should've NEVER trusted anybody on the internet, especially you guys. SOME HELPFUL MODERATORS YOU ARE! >

(Unless you've changed your mind.)

I honestly can't blame her for keeping on arguing by this point, because they've given her every reason to assume they'll keep answering her as long as she keeps posting.

Anywhere on the Net is going to get some ASD-issues people, some of whom will be able to cope and some of whom won't. A site with this much traffic and this much about categorising nerdy stuff ought to have a well-established protocol for dealing with an Aspie meltdown. If they were new to modding you could understand some mistakes, but they've had years of practice. If they were a mock site, they might be excused for not caring at all when someone says they're terribly unhappy, but this is supposed to be a fun happy place. And this is the way they deal with it. :doh:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Apple Tree posted:

A site with this much traffic and this much about categorising nerdy stuff ought to have a well-established protocol for dealing with an Aspie meltdown. If they were new to modding you could understand some mistakes, but they've had years of practice.

It'd be nice if they did and all, but they're honestly under no obligation to plus, frankly, people don't properly understand learning disabilities and difficulties.

I can make fun of TVTropes for many many reasons, and I have done for several years, but (and this is me speaking as a nearly qualified Learning Disability Nurse) I can't fault them for not tailoring their moderation to suit people with AS. Your breakdown of her behaviour and reactions is quite good, and you're right that TVTropes is likely to have a higher population ASD population, but expecting moderators anywhere to be trained in handling ASD issues is wishful thinking. This is especially true seeing as it's a free gig that you just do as a fan of the community.

Either way let's stop here. Remember rule 5:

quote:

5) Don't try to psychoanalyze tropers.
These posts are boring. No one cares about how you learned what the Dunning-Kruger effect is in Intro to Psych. There is a perfectly good psychology thread is SAL you can post in for that.

when you get to this point

quote:

Ohhh dear. At this point all becomes clear: she's Aspie and very possibly depressed, or at least miserable, and is not going to let go of any hope of a place she might belong. Continually telling her 'no' isn't going to get through. What it is going to do is make her more upset. She's going to have to go through a grieving process, and you need to let her start on it.
you're going too far. You're going beyond the words written down and trying to diagnose, which isn't really a good idea and is frankly quite unprofessional to do online wrt someone you've never interacted with.

Fakeedit: took me a minute to figure out what "extinction burst" was because we call it "challenging behaviour" here.

Apple Tree
Sep 8, 2013
I'm not expecting them to be trained, just to have a bit of common sense. I'm not really trying to psychoanalyse, just criticising bad modding - I was only speculating about the poster to point out that they could have anticipated how the conversation would go - but hey, I'll leave it there if you like. I don't pretend to be any kind of professional!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Apple Tree posted:

I'm not expecting them to be trained, just to have a bit of common sense. I'm not really trying to psychoanalyse, just criticising bad modding - I was only speculating about the poster to point out that they could have anticipated how the conversation would go - but hey, I'll leave it there if you like. I don't pretend to be any kind of professional!

The problem unfortunately stems from the wider societal issue that mental health problems and learning disabilities/difficulties are not particularly talked about or understood. Awareness is improving, but even today these things are still kind of a taboo subject. It's unfortunately hard to apply common sense to an online argument with someone with ASD if you don't understand what ASD is and how it affects the person.

I will agree that it's a poor display of moderation in general though, as the point of moderation is to make a decision and enforce it, not debate it. Regardless of whether the user is neurotypical or autistic, a moderator should just say "this is the decision, that's the end of it.".

After being told that her ban stands she continues to rules lawyer, stating that "there was nothing specifically saying not to do this". In which case the moderator should just say "the decision stands, any further debate publically or privately will result in a total ban". But then again even Fighteer, who is the most abrasive mod there, is still moderating a hugbox. Even though she continues to harass him via forum post and PM he doesn't take further action because that would be mean I guess. It's poor moderation which stems from the mods overtly trying to be friends with the posters as opposed to enforcers of community standards.

It's why their stupid "mod hat on/mod hat off" system is a load of bollocks. A mod is a mod, and even though they can (and should) freely take part in debate, there should never be a question that when they say "stop", you should stop.

E: I guess he PM banned her in the end but still refuses to forum ban her.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Apple Tree posted:

Really, this is just lovely. You don't have to comfort her, but you're supposed to be a hugbox - the least you could do would be to say 'Sorry for your personal problems, but...' And considering that this is a list site that purports to be all nice, you really ought to have a few standard places like autism support groups and the Samaritans' e-mail at the ready for situations like this. It'd save you trouble, and it might help someone.

For what it's worth, they do have a list of suicide hotlines:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/UsefulNotes/Suicide
But it doesn't seem to be prominently linked on either the wiki or the forums (I had to google it).

And I recall there was at least one troper tales page with a header along the lines of "if you are contemplating suicide please seek help" but I don't remember what it was. I don't think it was even about depression or suicide, though.

On an entirely different note, have some poetry:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.php?discussion=13038649350A63445800&page=0

CaissasDeathAngel posted:

Haiku - Limerick
One will stand and one will fall
Which one will prevail?
—-
A limerick and a haiku
Said to each other "Oi you!"
It was time for a fight
They fought into the night
Such violent poems - who knew?
EDIT: Thanks! How's that for a smackdown anyway?

Japanese Teeth posted:

If we do have a poetry wiki, this villanelle I wrote a while back must fit some trope:

What's been said once will be said some more.
There is nothing more for them to say.
They'll say again what they've said before.

For being creative can be such a chore;
to say new things each and every day.
So what's been said once will be said some more.

They won't write down new things they do not care for,
and saying the same thing again is simply child's play
So why not say again what they've said before?

For making new things is such a bore,
that boredom is such a small price to pay,
and what's been said once will be said some more.

A new thing is more than ever they asked for,
it's too much work to be worth it, so they
will of course say again what they've said before.

So they take cliches, rewords, and repeats galore,
(you see how boring the poem is when you write it that way.)
as what's been said once will be said some more,
for they'll say again what they've said before.

Note: the poem is boring and repetitious on purpose.

SerialKilldeer fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 14, 2014

Apple Tree
Sep 8, 2013

Namtab posted:

The problem unfortunately stems from the wider societal issue that mental health problems and learning disabilities/difficulties are not particularly talked about or understood. Awareness is improving, but even today these things are still kind of a taboo subject. It's unfortunately hard to apply common sense to an online argument with someone with ASD if you don't understand what ASD is and how it affects the person.

I don't disagree with that at all. What I would say is that responsible mod on a site like TVTropes really ought to make some effort to inform themselves, at least a bit, because it's going to come up a lot. I don't mean they should train as psychiatrists or anything, but reading a few websites and trying to learn from experience should surely not be beyond them - I mean, they've got to run into that kind of issue pretty often, given that the site is what it is. Two minutes on Google would tell them that Aspergers = difficulty understanding social norms, and that's enough to be going on. My only 'psychoanalysis' opinion, really, is that once she'd said 'I've got Aspergers' they should have realised that her 'not getting the rules' thing was probably a permanent condition rather than something to continue arguing with, and that calling it a 'poor me' card on a supposedly nice fun friendly non-bashing site is pretty crappy.

But like you say, ASD or not, that was bad moderation. The ASD gives her behaviour some kind of context, but they really should have handled it long before it got to that point. Being too 'nice' to ban properly but not nice enough to offer someone a word of sympathy is a bad combination.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

I could not find the troper tales page in question, but my search led me to the Mirror Wiki and its wonderful Top Pages sidebar:

There's some drama behind the wiki too:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.php?discussion=13021533460A65310600&page=0

redneck sushi
Aug 5, 2013

"This thread has been nuked"

What was that about?

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I'm really beginning to suspect that certain authors just set up pages for their own works in an effort to make themselves look famous. For example, on the Victorian London page, under the "Literature" heading, there's a work called "Darkness Visible". Given the fact that it's one of the few books on there despite there being thousands of other works set in Victorian London, you'd think it was something very popular. Instead, I look it up on goodreads to discover that it only has 18 ratings and three reviews (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12138337-darkness-visible?ac=1). Okay?

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 17, 2014

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

redneck sushi posted:

"This thread has been nuked"

What was that about?

It was there when I posted the link. Is Eddie watching us again? :ohdear:

Brief summary of the drama for those who are interested: some user was fed up with TV Tropes being too anime-centric and having too many :japan: page names, and got into a tiff with Eddie over the renaming of one trope that was particularly controversial. So he started his own wiki, which in practice was mostly text dumps of existing articles, anime included. Now it seems to have become a dumping ground for deleted pedo/porn pages.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Captain Mog posted:

I'm really beginning to suspect that certain authors just set up pages for their own works in an effort to make themselves look famous.

There was this "Whatley Universe" creepy fetish fiction thing that, for a while, was absolutely EVERYWHERE on TVTropes, and at the time I thought it was a much more popular thing than it actually was. This definitely happens.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah, the Whatly Universe sounded kind of cool, and then looking into it more it seemed really centered on trans and gender-transformation stuff to a weird degree.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

WickedHate posted:

Yeah, the Whatly Universe sounded kind of cool, and then looking into it more it seemed really centered on trans and gender-transformation stuff to a weird degree.

And this would have been fine, and although I've had enough "Harry Potter except X" for a lifetime, I might have actually read something that tried to treat gender dysphoria seriously. Except it turns out that, like everything on TVTropes, it was written as fetish material.

E: wait, am I remembering a *different* creepy troperfic with way too many mentions on TVTropes that had gender transformation as a fetish?

... gently caress TVTropes.

EE: Yeah, Whately was "X-Men except (thing)", not "Harry Potter except (thing)". Huh.

SolTerrasa fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 17, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
You might be thinking of The Wotch.

I also read Misfile as a kid and liked it, but then I realized the lesbianism, the gender swap, and almost nudity was all wank bait.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

SolTerrasa posted:

E: wait, am I remembering a *different* creepy troperfic with way too many mentions on TVTropes that had gender transformation as a fetish?

I seem to recall they had an obsession with some webcomic that had that as a theme. Can't remember what the comic was but it would show up in the old bad webcomics thread periodically and get called out for its transparently fanservice plot.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

WickedHate posted:

You might be thinking of The Wotch.

Or El Goonish Shive, the archive dump of which on the Bad Webcomics thread stopped because it was so drat boring.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Vile Villain Saccharine Show

Tropers are scared of cartoons, okay? posted:

Okay, so you have a villain who is legitimately intimidating and frightening. Maybe they try to destroy all positive emotions, or maybe they turn people into twisted shambling abominations, or maybe they're plotting genocide. Point is, they're actually a fairly creepy villain. The irony is that they're stuck in a Sugar Bowl.

As one could probably tell, this trope is about villains in normally lighthearted fiction that are so disturbing, or even terrifying, on some level that they kind of clash with the tone of the show/game/whatever. Because of this type of villain's ability to ruin the mood of the story they're in, this trope can overlap with Knight of Cerebus or Complete Monster. If a series has a lot of villains like this, then it's taking a ride on the Cerebus Rollercoaster.

A major cause of Sugar Apocalypse and Surprise Creepy. Compare and contrast the Crapsaccharine World, where it's not just the villain, but the entire world that is rotten to the core.

Of course it would be My Little Pony posted:

- Just like in the TV show, My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic (IDW) has some surprisingly creepy villains. The most notable case is probably the return of Chrysalis, Queen of the Changelings, who typically looks quite a bit more grotesque in the comic's art style than she did in the show. The cover for one of the comics detailing said return is the trope image.

- Getting Back on Your Hooves is a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic fanfic that strongly goes for Original Flavour with the original series. The Big Bad, Checker Monarch is based off real life Sociopaths. This was intentional on the part of the writer to emulate how the TV series has disproportionately dark major villains.

- Moonstuck is a story about a pony on the moon meeting lots of friends and going on silly adventures that you shouldn't take seriously. It's villains are a usurping, tyrannical regent who fully intended to kill Woona and her friends, Woona's Enemy Without that delivers multiple Curb Stomp Battles and vicious Breaking Speeches, and Discord, who is just as nasty as his canon self with none of the comedy, often falling into full-blown Eldritch Abomination territory.

- A Future of Friendship, A History of Hate is yet another My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic example. It maintains the Original Flavour of the show very well, but Ruinate is a rather horrifying Eldritch Abomination who intends to turn Equestria into a Crapsack World before destroying it, and even manages to temporarily destroy Twilight Sparkle's soul. Also, his heralds, who know perfectly well his final goal and serve him anyway, are willing to do terrible things in his name.

- The G4 My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic continues the franchise's tradition of cute ponies being menaced by terrifying villains.

And don't forget That Guy With the Glasses posted:

That Guy with the Glasses

Much of the time, Suburban Knights has the same tone as the rest of the site; definitely not for children and sometimes resorting to Refuge in Audacity, but still comical and not taking danger very seriously. However, this doesn't hold true when Malachite — an apparent complete sociopath who murders multiple innocent people just for using technology — is on screen. While most of the site's villains are Played For Dark Comedy, Malachite is almost always Played for Drama.
The Rogues Gallery of Atop the Fourth Wall has several baddies more serious then others on the site. These include Linkara's Evil Counterpart Mechakara, the grim warrior Lord Vyce, and a worlds-destroying Eldritch Abomination know only as The Entity. Mechakara also appears in To Boldly Flee, where he is the only villain in the film who never behaves comically.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

TV Tropes has a thing called Acceptable Targets: collections of groups that are supposedly acceptable to mock in media. The concept is, on the whole, not something completely stupid, but combine it with Tropers and a healthy dose of Protestant Persecution Complex and you get:

Acceptable Religious Targets:

Jews posted:

Common stereotypes (at least in North America): nerds, whiners, bleeding-heart left-wingers, bloodthirsty Zionist warmongerers, scheming neoconservatives, Deadpan Snarkers. One particularly self-perpetuating one is that they are overly sensitive, and can't take any criticism without screaming "Anti-Semite!"
-Any actual Jew will probably fall victim to several of these at the same time, including the ones that contradict each other. The same person can be a bleeding-heart to a Southerner and a blood-drinking Zionazi to a San Franciscan.
-Of course, one mustn't assume that North Americans who hold these stereotypes are actually expressing disapproval. After all, one man's nerd is the other man's Teen Genius, and one man's bloodthirsty Zionist warmonger is another's Badass Israeli.[/quotes]

Imagine a Troper going up to actual Jewish people and saying "Man, I love the way you guys control the worlds' banks! I think thats really badass!"

[quote="Atheists"]
Even though it's not a religion, there are many atheists who assert their belief "There is no God" in the same manner a religious person does and feel just as offended if stated otherwise. It's hard to find a happy, well-adjusted, or optimistic individual on (American) television who is an openly avowed atheist. Not appearing to practice or even mention religion at all is fine for everyone, but it's generally only characters with a fair degree of cynicism and bitterness who can state outright that they don't believe there is a God, or even that they severely doubt God exists. Perhaps this is due to the fact that one of the most prominent real-life atheists, Madalyn Murray O'Hair, was also known for her abrasive personality. In fact, it is notable that very few TV atheists are portrayed as having come to this conclusion by dispassionate consideration of the evidence but, much more likely, they have some tragedy in their past, such as a Cynicism Catalyst.

You're not a real atheist unless you explicitly deny the existence of God in cases where nobody brought it up.

Transhumanists posted:

While not a religion in the traditional sense, transhumanists are often a target of both religious and non-religious communities. The religious believe them to be messing with God's creation or trying to play God, and the nonreligious often accuse them of either wishful thinking or interfering with natural evolution.

This has zero examples.

Acceptable Ethnic Targets

This section contains Skinny Men, Overweight Women, Dwarfs, the Tall, the Bald, the Hairy, Blondes, Speech Impedimented, and Products of Incest. I have no idea why these are considered an ethnicity.

White Anglo Saxon Protestant Males posted:

Whites, being the vast majority of Americans, are consequently the group that is (historically and concurrently) the least discriminated against. This is more true of white males. Thus, when racial discrimination against white males does occur, it is often overlooked. In some circles, such racism is considered to be acceptable (see other, guilty white people) and even bringing attention to it is often decried as racist.
-Advertising
If you're an American, do a little experiment: turn on your television and count how many commercials
feature dopey, goofy, idiotic men and wise, capable uberwomen. If there are no women present, then the goofy
idiot role will be taken by the whitest guy in the ad. If they're all white guys, then it'll be the one with
the sweater vest.

Humans, When Compared to Other Intelligent Races posted:

Every Intellectual Animal and Sufficiently Advanced Alien knows that Humans Are the Real Monsters.

Anti-humanism is just like racism guys.

Acceptable Lifestyle Targets

Each of these has listed maybe a handful of examples.

Geeks/Nerds posted:

It still seems acceptable to make fun of somebody if their preferred hobbies aren't "cool" enough. (Or too solitary: see Loners Are Freaks). Seems to be diminishing for "computer" nerds as of late. If you can make a video game people are impressed now, not repulsed. Everyone else with a "tech" hobby is still out of luck. Receiving even worse luck are people who are fond of anything Japan-related (that is, if they're not Japanese, or don't even look it).

-Anyone who is sufficiently passionate about their hobbies will be considered a sad individual who needs to go get laid, or at least get out and do some "normal" activity like clubbing. After all, it's not like people who can actually do those things would ever waste their time doing other things, right? Treating your hobby as anything more than an insignificant thing you only use to kill a few minutes of time every once in a while obviously means you've just given up on "having a life" and are desperately trying to fill the void.
-Expect that in some cases the nerd will be depicted as an Insufferable Genius, a Small Name, Big Ego, or other similar forms of Jerk rear end, so that making fun of them is something they deserved. It's common for bullying to be laughed off by others with the idea being that, clearly, the nerd was asking for it. Which, sadly, is often the thinking and justification of a lot of bullies themselves, there are people who view bullying as some sort of public service. Basically the thinking is that humans are social animals and it is our duty to conform to the social norms of our society. Therefore nerds, introverts, social outcasts, and other "weird" people deserve to be bullied just because they are weird, and bullying helps society by causing weirdos to shape up and be normal. This view is mentioned in this strip from Cyanide and Happiness, although in this case it just seems to be a joke pointing out the hypocrisy of intolerance towards intolerant people.
-Furries are so acceptable a target that other hardcore geeks mock them. In the geek hierarchy, they're always positioned at the bottom. And they're commonly considered to be erotic fetishists who are into bestiality, despite those being only a minority.[/quotes]

Tropers are so in the dark as to why people mock/shun them.

[quote="Nice Guys"]
Nice Guys. Okay, they're able to get along with anyone, have many friends, are easy to talk to, and funny, but on the downside they're going to be portrayed as slightly reserved, never happy with themselves, have Jocks and assholes think they're easy targets, and will generally be shown to be useless when chatting up women, and the woman will go for the Bad Boy anyway. Maybe the Dogged Nice Guy will get her in the end. Can be trapped in a weird subcultural purgatory of being too cool to be a nerd but not cool enough to be with the Popular clique. It doesn't help that in Real Life, "nice guy" is often a negative term used to describe the man who behaves in a stereotypically polite and caring manner towards a woman on the surface, but is easily seen through as immature, needy, not really interested in relationships beyond the sex part and resentful/dismissive of women who don't respond to their "niceness" with romantic or sexual attention. (i.e. Why won't she date me? I'm a nice guy! I held open the door for her! What a stuck-up bitch!)

So close, and yet, so far. Also, with regards to the first quote, I have never seen that happen. Every TV show, movie, book, etc. with a "nice guy vs. bad boy" plotline has resulted in the "nice guy" getting the girl, or the "bad boy" actually being a nice guy deep down and the "nice guy" is actually an rear end. Tropers literally imagine their weird "why do girls always date jerks" complexes into their fiction as well.

The examples they have include The Inbetweeners, which if anybody has watched that show will realise just how hilarious that is. For those who haven't, the "Nice Guy" characters of the show are both pretty much explicitly stated to be colossal shitheads and lose any girls they manage to get with to "bad boys" because of their own stupidity.

Emos posted:

Emos. Generally regarded as a bunch of whiny poseurs who cry, write poetry, and cut themselves in order to seem unconventional or to attract attention while blowing even the mildest slights or issues completely out of proportion in order to feel Wangsty about them. Also, there's the matter of their horrid music. Note that this applies to depressed people as well (thusly blending the emo with those who have mental disorders). As with most acceptable targets, there's a Double Standard at work here too. While old people (or the Jerkass main character in a popular webcomic) are often accepted for being angsty, world-weary and cynical, If you're under the age of 21 and object to any part of life (even if it's a valid or idealistic objection), you might as well brush your hair over one eye, start writing sappy poetry and threaten to commit suicide.

AGEISM! Also it feels like I'm back in the 8th grade again. I don't think I've heard the word emo in about six years.

The Childfree posted:

The childfree: Adults who choose not to have children are sometimes accused of being selfish, lazy, or Child Haters. Also, some religious types will claim that the childfree are "rebelling against God" by choosing not to procreate. Often childfree people are shown to abruptly change their minds once they have a small amount of contact with a child, suggesting that their stance was misguided or based on ignorance.

I have literally never seen any of this ever. I can accept that people can have this problem from their family, but not to the extent that they are "acceptable targets."

Vegetarians posted:

Don't eat meat? Then you're unhealthy! You eat too much rabbit food and there's something wrong with your brain! There's also a gender bias, as men are supposed to be shoveling down T-Bones, burgers, and fried chicken or else they're too girly or are gay; whereas herbivorism is often a standard for a woman. Thus female vegetarians may be portrayed as healthy, whereas male vegetarians are often sickly or unnaturally thin. Vegetarians are often lumped together with the hippies and art students as overly sensitive, preachy and doing it mostly to flaunt their politics.

The intersection of misandry and carnism!

Vegephobes posted:

While vegetarians are slowly gaining acceptance, their opposite number — those who don't like eating vegetables — are not. The assumption is that you must eat your vegetables, or there's something wrong with you. Perhaps you were defiant when your parents tried to make you eat vegetables, and now you're carrying that chip on your shoulder into adulthood. The reality is that, with adequate vitamin and mineral supplementation, the human body is adaptable enough to thrive on just about any kind of diet — vegan, exclusively carnivore, exclusively grain-eating, or otherwise.

NO MOM, I WON'T EAT MY VEGETABLES!

People who are Athletic posted:

People Who are Athletic. According to pop culture, everyone who plays sports (in high-school, at least) is a dumb jock, and every cheerleader is a shallow bitch. And of course, says pop culture, everyone athletic (jocks) are all bullies who have nothing to look forward to in life past high-school, if they graduate. Cheerleaders too are at the high point in their life, says pop culture, and they're all shallow sluts who spread malicious rumors about each other and their rivals. Never mind that athletes and cheerleaders may just be regular people who enjoy their respective hobby, or that plenty of athletes/cheerleaders go on to have successful and fulfilling lives after high school, in fact, high school athletic participation is associated with a high future income for men.

I am surprised this hasn't been hounded off the page. The fact that this is on TVTropes makes me wish for a bigger :ironicat:

Straight Edge posted:

Straight Edge. If you're straight edge you're either A) a fun hating, sour youth that dislikes social interaction, or B) a Principles Zealot that will beat the crap out of anyone who so much as looks at a glass of alcohol. There are a few bad eggs, especially in The Nineties, but mostly, straight edge people just want to respect their bodies and believe it's more Badass to stay sober than to do drugs.

The troper obsession with being 'Badass' really reads like overcompensating.

At least I couldn't find anything about Brony persecution complexes.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

DoctorWhat posted:

There was this "Whatley Universe" creepy fetish fiction thing that, for a while, was absolutely EVERYWHERE on TVTropes, and at the time I thought it was a much more popular thing than it actually was. This definitely happens.

You could tell that was all one person though, because it always started with "In the Webfiction Whateley Universe".

I have never heard the term "webfiction" used that much in my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

quote:

It still seems acceptable to make fun of somebody if their preferred hobbies aren't "cool" enough. (Or too solitary: see Loners Are Freaks). Seems to be diminishing for "computer" nerds as of late. If you can make a video game people are impressed now, not repulsed. Everyone else with a "tech" hobby is still out of luck. Receiving even worse luck are people who are fond of anything Japan-related (that is, if they're not Japanese, or don't even look it).

Speaking as this thread's token gross weeb, my friends know I like anims and don't think any less of me for it. The problem, I suspect, is that a lot of tropers don't talk about anything except anime, which tends to put people off.

Yeah I wish sometimes that I had people around me I could talk about that kind of stuff with, but I can't blame them for not being interested because it's a niche hobby. Instead I can talk to my friends about stuff we can both appreciate, such as sports, TV, the news and games because that's stuff that we have a mutual interest in.

If you're shunned for being interested in Japan-related stuff it's likely less because of that and more because it's all you ever want to talk about. It's the person basing their identity around their hobby in the same way that people generally like games but shun "gamers", people who identify solely around being someone who plays videogames. Be a nuanced human being, people. Develop a variety of interests. It'll even help with your lovely troperbooks.

E: Ugh I kept reading

quote:

-Anyone who is sufficiently passionate about their hobbies will be considered a sad individual who needs to go get laid, or at least get out and do some "normal" activity like clubbing. After all, it's not like people who can actually do those things would ever waste their time doing other things, right? Treating your hobby as anything more than an insignificant thing you only use to kill a few minutes of time every once in a while obviously means you've just given up on "having a life" and are desperately trying to fill the void.
Again, noone's saying that a hobby should only be something that you spend a few fleeting minutes on, but at the same time your hobby should not be your life. If people think you need to get out more it's again because you're spending your whole life in your bedroom focused on that one hobby.

quote:

-Expect that in some cases the nerd will be depicted as an Insufferable Genius, a Small Name, Big Ego, or other similar forms of Jerk rear end, so that making fun of them is something they deserved. It's common for bullying to be laughed off by others with the idea being that, clearly, the nerd was asking for it. Which, sadly, is often the thinking and justification of a lot of bullies themselves, there are people who view bullying as some sort of public service. Basically the thinking is that humans are social animals and it is our duty to conform to the social norms of our society. Therefore nerds, introverts, social outcasts, and other "weird" people deserve to be bullied just because they are weird, and bullying helps society by causing weirdos to shape up and be normal. This view is mentioned in this strip from Cyanide and Happiness, although in this case it just seems to be a joke pointing out the hypocrisy of intolerance towards intolerant people.
Isolating yourself from social interactions can cause a person to be bad at them, meaning that you can come across as an rear end in a top hat, particularly if you conform to the dumbass "deadpan snarker" trope in all your conversations. I'm not at all implying that that justifies any bullying you get, but at the same time you yourself may be coming across as someone who looks down on others for being dumber than them, which is also a form of bullying.

quote:

-Furries are so acceptable a target that other hardcore geeks mock them. In the geek hierarchy, they're always positioned at the bottom. And they're commonly considered to be erotic fetishists who are into bestiality, despite those being only a minority.
You want to gently caress animals, either actual animals or animals that look like people. It's a weird sexual thing that, again, people seem incapable of shutting up about. I've seen furries try and unironically latch onto the GBLT community and that's just wrong.

E2: wrt "nice guys". There's nothing wrong with being nice to girls. I've openly admitted in earlier threads that I'll treat women differently than men, I'll hold doors open for them, I'd never hit a girl, and I do talk to them a little differently (mostly I swear a lot less). However, the difference between that and being a "nice guy" is that I don't do those things expecting a reward, I do them because that's how I was brought up.
The nice guy exaggerates things. He makes a song and dance about opening then holding open a door. He not only doesn't hit girls, he tells people in conversation that he would never hit a girl, in talking to girls he is not only polite but also creepy, never arguing. He wants the world to know that he is treating girls "nicely" because he wants to be acknowledged as a guy who treats girls nicely. It may not be a sexual thing, he may not be doing it to try and pull girls, but the upshot is that he comes across as someone who is looking for recognition or a reward for being nice to girls.

E3: The "childfree". Again, it's a case of not shutting up about it (seeing a pattern here?). I remember a good thread a few years ago which was "childfree" people basically treating people with children as dumb, and children as some sort of societal cancer. "Kids screaming around me while moo and duh stared blankly. Why can't these kids be quiet like good people. loving put me off my happy meal it did."

E4: Non-vege: gently caress you that's not a food choice that's a heart attack in the making. Eat your loving brocolli.Realedit: Seriously, supplements aren't at the level where you can just straight up cut vitamins and minerals out of your diet.

E5: Straight edge? Is this the term for choosing not to do drugs? I don't do drugs, have we found another trope for my SA profile? Isn't not doing drugs the norm?

Namtab fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 18, 2014

• Locked thread