Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

SybilVimes posted:

I've never understood how there is so much 'multiculture shock' for some people going from an 'all-white' area to a multicultural area. I grew up in a pretty damned white area - we had *1* non-white person in our secondary school, and I'm pretty sure that was across all 5 years, so ~1000 kids, but when I started living in York (which is still pretty damned white tbh) when I was 16 it was like 'oh, there are people that aren't white here, that's cool, oh, I have more choice of foods/things to buy, that IS cool'.

I suppose the only time I've had multiculture-shock was when I used to buy lunch from a vietnamese place in california, and they always treated me like I was literally family, can't say it made me feel any animosity towards anyone though :shrug:

It's because they're racists. I also moved from a very white, ruralish area to a more diverse city without "multiculture shock" because I am not a racist.

I think my favourite thing about multiculturalism is that the racists who are too embarrassed to outright admit it can still be identified because they haven't worked out that moaning on about multiculturalism and how uncomfortable it makes them feel to be surrounded by people who speak a different language or whatever is a pretty good indicator that you're a racist. see: that Nigel Farage interview

e: 1939 CE noted opponent of multiculturalism Adolf Hitler invades Poland.

XMNN fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
I honestly never noticed how white where I came from was until I went to University and suddenly I have met more than two non-English-whites in my life. My drummer was from a rural town outside Tuscon and asked me where the hell we hid the minorities, in the most multicultural city in the entire county.

No wonder we keep giving seats to UKIP and BNP. There are three registered BNP voters in my parents road alone!

If you think white people are the best race you should probably immediately get the gently caress out. Nobody's making you live in a multicultural society, after all. Go back to cracka-cracka land. Which would be Norway, I guess.

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014
Well I suppose the co-operative movement was good while it lasted, but in the name of the competition, the business and the holy money it is to be "reformed" in conjunction with Baron Myners.

I usually find conspiracies a little silly but the movement's fall from grace in the last few years has been so strange.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Answers Me posted:

I saw the worst Party Political Broadcast (politically and aesthetically) I've ever seen last night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJYctoNKbcE

Is it wrong that I quite like the song?

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
WHOEVER WINS HERE MUST DO IT SLOWLY.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Crane Fist posted:

Multiculturalism is basically the best thing ever because let's face it, white people are terrible

This but unironically. Living in my old flat was pretty baller, especially during the summer when some rastas nearby would organise a street cricket tournament.

They would cheat like mother fuckers, though.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I think describing people as good or bad depending solely on their race is problematic.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

Pissflaps posted:

I think describing people as good or bad depending solely on their race is problematic.

WELL DUH

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Spangly A posted:

I honestly never noticed how white where I came from was until I went to University and suddenly I have met more than two non-English-whites in my life. My drummer was from a rural town outside Tuscon and asked me where the hell we hid the minorities, in the most multicultural city in the entire county.

No wonder we keep giving seats to UKIP and BNP. There are three registered BNP voters in my parents road alone!

If you think white people are the best race you should probably immediately get the gently caress out. Nobody's making you live in a multicultural society, after all. Go back to cracka-cracka land. Which would be Norway, I guess.

Canterbury?

When I went there, '94-'97, it was the whitest place I'd ever been. The university was no different.

I suffered a severe case of monocultural shock, the food and music and spoken language was so bland! :D

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
Multiculturalism is wonderful, and all Brits should be proud that their own culture is open enough and strong enough to absorb and merge ideas.

It's just sheer arrogance to see it as a bad thing. I don't know else to describe it. It assumes you and your culture (whatever that is) are infallible and don't need updating and improving.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

HortonNash posted:

Canterbury?

When I went there, '94-'97, it was the whitest place I'd ever been. The university was no different.

I suffered a severe case of monocultural shock, the food and music and spoken language was so bland! :D

It's better than it was then. The Uni itself aims to bring in Americans, Africans and Chinese to rip off. I swear I've never seen the Chinese lads leave campus but the Africans are all cool, almost all my friends at Uni were from a single huge group of people that came over from Zimbabwe. Food is better too, some excellent Jamaican streetcarts. It's still whiter than a modern bathroom redesign.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

EvilGenius posted:

Multiculturalism is wonderful, and all Brits should be proud that their own culture is open enough and strong enough to absorb and merge ideas.

It's just sheer arrogance to see it as a bad thing. I don't know else to describe it. It assumes you and your culture (whatever that is) are infallible and don't need updating and improving

It's really loving stupid because virtually everything in Britain, from the food we eat, to the Royal Family, comes from somewhere else. Potatoes are from the new world, so good old fashioned British fish and chips is a result of Multiculturalism. Even the cotton in people's clothes doesn't come from Britain.

Britain is the result of thousands of years of invasions, conquests, immigration and multicultural influences and absolutely every single element has improved the country no end.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Ddraig posted:

Britain is the result of thousands of years of invasions, conquests, immigration and multicultural influences and absolutely every single element has improved the country no end.

Except the colorado beetle :colbert:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
loving beetles, coming over here eating our potatoes. Those are British potatoes and should be eaten by British pests.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

EvilGenius posted:

It's just sheer arrogance to see it as a bad thing. I don't know else to describe it. It assumes you and your culture (whatever that is) are infallible and don't need updating and improving.

Unfortunately people who believe this (and they do) don't consider it arrogance or chauvinism, they consider it straight up, unequivocal fact. I know several people who genuinely, 100% believe that Britain is and always has been the greatest culture in the world. They don't necessarily have anything against other cultures, but they at best pale in comparison.

Past a certain point, I've no idea how to get through to them what an incredible coincidence it is that they just happened to have been born in The Greatest Nation of All Time.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I know people in this thread like to complain about London but one reason I love living here is the sheer diversity. It's great to have such a mix of cultures, you meet so many interesting people.

In addition, it's one of the only places myself and my girlfriend don't get stared at. She's British Indian and when we go to her hometown in the midlands we get stared at by Indians and when we go to my hometown in the south we get stated at by white people.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It's also completely at odds with our proud British history. Do people not know about colonialism? There was a point when Britain owned a significant portion of the earth and it was a point of personal pride that we could get all the cool poo poo from everywhere else because we didn't have it here.

It's cognitive dissonance of a dangerous degree.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The only things worth saving about white British culture are completely inconsequential, and not even unique to us:

• commenting on the weather when there's nothing else to say
  • getting mad at Germans for not knowing how to queue and/or trying to bagsie deckchairs (or not respecting our bagsies, I can never remember how that one goes)
  • only being happy when there's something to be depressed about
  • saying sorry/thank you no fewer than five times at the conclusion of every single social interaction
  • perversely proud of always being Hollywood bad guys

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

By Allah, white people are stupid.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Drone_Fragger posted:

Reminder that Labour actually put a giant child database in place to check the last time that a child was seen by a teacher or social worker to stop kids dropping off the map like baby P and the first thing the tories did was dismantle it because apparantly they believe that kids dying due to parents abysmal abuse is a small price to pay for a tick being put in a box stating "this child is not dead" on the national database for their kids.

I don't particularly trust a government to remove a child from the database when they come of age, or not to leave a copy of the database on a train or in a service station.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

Spangly A posted:

Who do you think are the best race?

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Spangly A posted:

It's better than it was then. The Uni itself aims to bring in Americans, Africans and Chinese to rip off. I swear I've never seen the Chinese lads leave campus but the Africans are all cool, almost all my friends at Uni were from a single huge group of people that came over from Zimbabwe. Food is better too, some excellent Jamaican streetcarts. It's still whiter than a modern bathroom redesign.

Is there still the Japanese college on campus just down from Keynes or has that gone?

Jesus, it'll be twenty years in October since I went there. I'm old.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

SuperHunBastard1690 posted:

get better at this please, you're not flappy

HortonNash posted:

Is there still the Japanese college on campus just down from Keynes or has that gone?

Jesus, it'll be twenty years in October since I went there. I'm old.

Down the road to town? Think so. Not sure if it's still fully Japanese, though. There's another new building right next to the Keynes bus stop, it's all blending in with the boarding school.

e;

TinTower posted:

I don't particularly trust a government to remove a child from the database when they come of age, or not to leave a copy of the database on a train or in a service station.

I'd say that actually is a small price to pay if it helps child security.

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 17, 2014

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Elves, for the +2 Str and +2 Dex and nightvision

gently caress yeah!

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
I went to UKC too. 16 years ago. Feel old.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

Spangly A posted:

get better at this please, you're not flappy

Down the road to town? Think so. Not sure if it's still fully Japanese, though. There's another new building right next to the Keynes bus stop, it's all blending in with the boarding school.

e;

I'd say that actually is a small price to pay if it helps child security.

Answer the question.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Answer the question.

400 metre sprint.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

namesake posted:

400 metre sprint.

I was always partial to Monaco tbh, but that was back in the old days when F1 was F1, not this 'fancy bee in a tin can' sport it is now - 6-wheelers era was best era.

e: v I'm not real sure there are any 'right' reasons to watch the grand national, really.

SybilVimes fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 17, 2014

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I watch the grand national for all the wrong reasons.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Answer the question.

The race to the bottom :clegg:

QuantumCrayons
Apr 11, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

I know several people who genuinely, 100% believe that Britain is and always has been the greatest culture in the world.

I really enjoy it when people say this, because I get to remind them that the "British culture" itself is a multicultural group.

After watching that English Democrats PEB, I realised that I feel really sorry for English folks who hold civic nationalist views; they're always going to be lumped in with or drowned out by weird folks like the BNP and the ED.

QuantumCrayons fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 17, 2014

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Mr Cuddles posted:

I went to UKC too. 16 years ago. Feel old.

K, E, R or D?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

HortonNash posted:

K, E, R or D?

dear god was that all you had?

Tyler (A, B, C), Keynes Houses, Park Wood village in the old woods, Becket Court, Woolf which is all self-contained decently sized bedsits, and Turing.

Gotta get that sweet, sweet non-EU student fee rate.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Spangly A posted:

dear god was that all you had?

Tyler (A, B, C), Keynes Houses, Park Wood village in the old woods, Becket Court, Woolf which is all self-contained decently sized bedsits, and Turing.

Gotta get that sweet, sweet non-EU student fee rate.

There was Park Wood when I was there, Woody's was brand new the year I started.

I told you, I'm old!

HortonNash fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 17, 2014

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

HortonNash posted:

There was Park Wood when I was there, Woody's was brand new the year I started.

I told you, I'm old!

They've really ramped up construction recently, campus is starting to look quite ugly with all the work and new developments. A lot of older buildings designed with a view in mind have had it obscured.

It's like a metaphor for industrialisation or something.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Surprising number of people who come from Bedfordshire here! When Italy won the world cup they drove a parade of flatbed trucks down the high street and had a huge party, it was awesome. Me and some non-italian friends just joined in, it was really fun.

More multiculturalism = more awesome street parties

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

I know there are some Banks fans in here. I've put the work I did inspired by his Culture novels on to Redbubble. Proceeds will go to Safe Space, a charity helping survivors of sexual violence of which Banks was a patron.

Check it out here http://www.redbubble.com/people/lukejfrost/collections/289653-the-culture-fanart

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

BastardySkull posted:

I know there are some Banks fans in here. I've put the work I did inspired by his Culture novels on to Redbubble. Proceeds will go to Safe Space, a charity helping survivors of sexual violence of which Banks was a patron.

Check it out here http://www.redbubble.com/people/lukejfrost/collections/289653-the-culture-fanart

Your art's loving amazing, and when I move out (to a place that's a little more poster friendly) in a couple months either your picture of Sursamen or the GSV will definitely end up on the wall.

EDIT: actually, Culture Drones is also pretty nice and minimalistic.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Spangly A posted:

They've really ramped up construction recently, campus is starting to look quite ugly with all the work and new developments. A lot of older buildings designed with a view in mind have had it obscured.

It's like a metaphor for industrialisation or something.

Please tell me the view from Rutherford's dining room is still an amazing vista of Canterbury and the Cathedral. That was the reason I chose UKC over King's College London. I'll be so sad if it's been destroyed by "progress".

I really should have a day trip to Canterbury and wander round campus and see what's changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

HortonNash posted:

Please tell me the view from Rutherford's dining room is still an amazing vista of Canterbury and the Cathedral. That was the reason I chose UKC over King's College London. I'll be so sad if it's been destroyed by "progress".

I really should have a day trip to Canterbury and wander round campus and see what's changed.

You can see the Cathedral, the left hand side of the view is blocked by the Tyler buildings.

If you head down to canterbury have a shout, I'll come out for a pint and imagine Trickjaw can make the trip from Essex too.

• Locked thread