Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

I went for a short 10 minute ride tonight to warm up the chain for lubing after cleaning it, no gear except the helmet (I was in a hurry because I could see lightning on the horizon), I can see the appeal but like they say, dress for the slide, not the ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Tanbo posted:

I went for a short 10 minute ride tonight to warm up the chain for lubing after cleaning it, no gear except the helmet (I was in a hurry because I could see lightning on the horizon), I can see the appeal but like they say, dress for the slide, not the ride.

Considering how often I get pelted with bugs/rocks and poo poo I don't know how anyone rides more than about 40 without a full face.

Yet, it seems like only 5% of the people in this city use them. :iiam:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

M42 posted:

I've never ridden without atgatt, but I've scooched the bike to different parking spots without some pieces of gear (pants, gloves). It felt so uncomfortable, akin to being partially naked. And that was just moving it 20 feet unpowered. Can't even imagine riding with shorts/flipflops/tank top.

You put on a jacket and helmet to push your bike around in the parking lot? :crossarms:

That's some serious commitment to ATGATT alright.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
Going to touch the bike? Helmet. Going to touch the controls? Jacket. ATGATT, no excuses.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I know when I crashed I was super thankful for wearing full gear. If it wasn't for my armored pants and jacket who knows what kind of injuries I could have sustained. Having my confidence completely shaken is bad enough, but to add injury on top of that? No thank you. I mean one second you are on top of the world and then the next second you are skipping across the pavement and gravel like a stone across a lake on a sunny summer afternoon. It isn't easy just to pick the bike up and ride off like nothing changed.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Razzled.gif

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Back wheel stayed on the ground. Not razzled accurate.

I never go without all of my gear. Even WITH all of my gear I got pretty messed up when I went down at low speed.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Backov posted:

Going to touch the bike? Helmet. Going to touch the controls? Jacket. ATGATT, no excuses.

So would you consider me squidly for not wearing any gear while working on my bike, and even when sitting on it and starting it up to check the operation of the engine and lights and stuff? Last week I even rode down my street (1 block long, no cars) at 15mph wearing only a helmet, boots and gloves to ensure that I had the shifter at the right angle.

e: unless this is a joke post or something cause I'm really bad at reading sarcasm over the internet

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 14, 2014

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

ahaha I wish, the plastics on that bad boy look okay!

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Best part of that gif is in the video version you can hear the Dad absolutely pissing himself laughing when the kid hits the tree.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

So would you consider me squidly for not wearing any gear while working on my bike, and even when sitting on it and starting it up to check the operation of the engine and lights and stuff? Last week I even rode down my street (1 block long, no cars) at 15mph wearing only a helmet, boots and gloves to ensure that I had the shifter at the right angle.

e: unless this is a joke post or something cause I'm really bad at reading sarcasm over the internet

You're a squid if you operate anything with an engine without putting your gear on :colbert:. I suited up to mow the lawn (with a push behind mower) last weekend because it was loving cold and all my warm clothes were in the wash...

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

Sorry, total joke post. I live in Vietnam. A cloth face mask on the two kids sandwiched between you and your wife on your scooter is considered adequate safety gear.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
Doubleposting is bad.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

He was joking, relax your sax.

edfb: don't leave the window open for ten minutes, gents.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Target_Fixation.gif

I've done similar but it was first time skiing and it was the rope tow shed. I wish someone had it on video.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The funny thing about it is the foot-dragging is absolutely identical to what people who can't ride for poo poo do on bikes when they have to slow to a stop or crawl across an intersection.

Looks like the same footwear, too.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Slavvy posted:

The funny thing about it is the foot-dragging is absolutely identical to what people who can't ride for poo poo do on bikes when they have to slow to a stop or crawl across an intersection.

I don't drag my feet but I like leaving them off for a bit, makes me think of what I'd look like with an invisible bike, just floating with legs dangling etc.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Slavvy posted:

Mental age is approximately equivalent as well :v:

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
Sometimes when I'm waiting in line to get on a roundabout and I have to keep pulling forward a car length then stopping over and over, I don't bother putting my left foot back on the peg. Am I a scrub? :ohdear:

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Have some anecdotal evidence as to why you should gear up even on quick post maintenance 'round the block type rides. http://youtu.be/TFD9az2eAv0

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

ArcticZombie posted:

Sometimes when I'm waiting in line to get on a roundabout and I have to keep pulling forward a car length then stopping over and over, I don't bother putting my left foot back on the peg. Am I a scrub? :ohdear:

I just spent 35 minutes to go one mile due to an accident. I had the skids down more often then not. There was no rhythm to how the car moved in front of me. I am a scrub.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I usually put both feet on the pegs and go the absolute slowest I possibly can which is usually a slower average speed than a car start-stopping. Plus it's fun to see how long you can balance, how slow you can go and is just generally more stimulating than dragging my foot (I never use both, but I'm tall).

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I do the same at stop lights. I've almost dropped it once playing that game too long :haw:

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

That's what I do at stops, practice for the slow drags at cycle gear so I can win that gift card!

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Schroeder91 posted:

slow drags at cycle gear so I can win that gift card!

Excuse me what?!?! This sounds like something I need to get in on

e. Sweet jesus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdPWE0zbLcM

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
My foot comes up and is on the peg pretty much simultaneously with the clutch lever coming out, I don't get the dragging thing at all and I (probably incorrectly) peg people I see doing it as people what don't ride good.

I also like to see how slow I can go with feet up, and try to avoid putting feet down at all if the traffic situation allows for it.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
I am normally the same way, but I have had my FZ1 for all of 48 hours. I am still learning how it handles at low speeds. Plus that traffic was an abomination due to some accident. I was literally creeping one car length every 30 seconds. I envy people who live in states where lane splitting is allowed.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Here4DaGangBang posted:

My foot comes up and is on the peg pretty much simultaneously with the clutch lever coming out, I don't get the dragging thing at all and I (probably incorrectly) peg people I see doing it as people what don't ride good.

I also like to see how slow I can go with feet up, and try to avoid putting feet down at all if the traffic situation allows for it.

A guy in front of me in stop and go traffic yesterday came to a complete stop and waved a dump truck waiting at a cross street across opposing traffic and into his lane ahead of him. This took probably the better part of a minute. His feet never came down once, and also never came down during that several-mile stretch of stop and go low speed lovely commuter traffic. He was on a Harley.

Some people, man. I can only assume his other car is a unicycle or something.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Splizwarf posted:

A guy in front of me in stop and go traffic yesterday came to a complete stop and waved a dump truck waiting at a cross street across opposing traffic and into his lane ahead of him. This took probably the better part of a minute. His feet never came down once, and also never came down during that several-mile stretch of stop and go low speed lovely commuter traffic. He was on a Harley.

Some people, man. I can only assume his other car is a unicycle or something.

That's loving impressive. Once I'm stopped, my feet are on the ground within a second or so without fail, I'm sure.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Not me, but my buddy crashed on a group ride we were on today. Bike is totaled. He's road rashed up, gash in his arm, cactus in his back. I'm not sure what happened, I guess his rear tire kicked up and he was launched off the road in a corner. I didn't see what happened, I couldn't keep up. His bike was about 150 feet off the road, inbedded in a bush and cactus. We're at the hospital now getting him cleaned up and checked out.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

drat, glad he's mostly ok. Too many stories of group ride crashes on here.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Bugdrvr posted:

drat, glad he's mostly ok. Too many stories of group ride crashes on here.

Clearly evidence that group rides are dumb.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Schroeder91 posted:

Not me, but my buddy crashed on a group ride we were on today. Bike is totaled. He's road rashed up, gash in his arm, cactus in his back. I'm not sure what happened, I guess his rear tire kicked up and he was launched off the road in a corner. I didn't see what happened, I couldn't keep up. His bike was about 150 feet off the road, inbedded in a bush and cactus. We're at the hospital now getting him cleaned up and checked out.

Where was it this time? :psyduck:

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Beeline/87 up to Payson. Maybe 30-40 miles outside of Mesa. He'll be fine, but he's going to be hurting for awhile.

this used to be a GSXR750.

There was a barbed wire fence 5-10 feet away, flying into the bush saved him. No broken bones, a tear in his thumb, gash in his arm, road rash, and his head is bruised but I don't know if they've done a catscan yet. His visor was like 150 feet away and his face got a bit scratched up.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
2011+ since it has gold BPFs and Brembos. That sucks... 25-30mi from my house, I know the area well. You guys flying through the sweepers? He's lucky it wasn't worse.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Schroeder91 posted:

Hopefully your friend is ok. Did he have gear on besides his helmet?

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I'm on a cbr500r so I couldn't keep up, I'm not sure how fast he was going. The corner speed limit was 50 though. He had helmet, gloves, and a vest/back protector on.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The squidliest bike, for some reason.

Glad he's (mostly) okay.

Schroeder91 posted:

I'm on a cbr500r so I couldn't keep up, I'm not sure how fast he was going. The corner speed limit was 50 though. He had helmet, gloves, and a vest/back protector on.

The helmet almost certainly saved his life. Too bad he didn't have anything on that would also save his skin.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I still don't understand why you'd wear a chest/back protector and not a normal mesh jacket. Oh well. Glad he's alright.

We all just need on of these, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Yep. I didn't get a picture, but his helmet was hosed up. Hopefully it will teach our friends to start using helmets, but I somehow doubt it.

• Locked thread