Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Pesky Splinter posted:

Grievous' role in the film threw me too. I thought that they were going to have Christoper Lee as the main secondary antagonist, considering how little he did in AOTC. Nope, just stick in the asthmatic-robot-lizard and pretend everyone knows who he is :downs:
It's a problem he shares with Maul and Dooku. They're all disposable antagonists with zero personality.

I wish they had stuck with the original plans to cast Gary Oldman as the voice of Grievous. Then maybe he could have done something a bit better with the role. Although I guess he would still have that nonsense cough since as I recall, Lucas thought that was really funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Grievous's coughing was allegedly meant to foreshadow Vader's sinister breathing.

buffybot
Nov 7, 2002
Is it still foreshadowing if it's in a prequel?

I didn't find Grievous that confusing in RotS without having seen the cartoon or read any of the books. I think they explained the character premise well enough before immediately killing him. It's not like most Star Wars villains are that complex in the first place.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
It really sucks because Grievous was pretty awesome in the original cartoon. When he shows up, shits about to go down. Compare that to the lame, pathetic idiot who loses at every opportunity.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Pesky Splinter posted:

I know the Darth names aren't known for their subtlety, but you know they're scraping the barrel when they're having characters calling themselves Darth Ruin, Darth Ravage, Darth Maladi, and Darth Karnage.

I will stand up for the Darth Bane books....okay, I'll stand up for the first one, the other two are of questionable quality, but there really isn't any excuse for some of the sloppy Darth names that have cropped up since AotC (Tyrannus?? Really???) Christ, my Sith character names in ToR are better than some of them.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I was kind of proud of naming my Chiss Agent Star'che'rlin.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I will stand up for the Darth Bane books....okay, I'll stand up for the first one, the other two are of questionable quality, but there really isn't any excuse for some of the sloppy Darth names that have cropped up since AotC (Tyrannus?? Really???) Christ, my Sith character names in ToR are better than some of them.

I remember this old flash video (pretty sure it was on Newgrounds between AOTC and ROTS) which explained that "Darth" actually means "in", and suggested names like Darth Vincible and Darth Decent Exposure.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

StashAugustine posted:

I was kind of proud of naming my Chiss Agent Star'che'rlin.

Code name Duchess? ;)

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I named my Female Revan Magna Altru, for "magnaminity" and "altruism." She was a big ol' goody-two-shoes.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
I just modified names from the Simon Necronomicon, leading to Darth Xastuur and Darth Ennkidu. See how loving easy it is, ToR??

Megachile
Apr 5, 2014
Darth Millenial is the spirit avatar of my generation.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Cru Jones posted:

The thing that really bugged me about the prequels is that it depended on the cartoons and books to be able to understand what was going for Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith.

I remember seeing RotS in the theaters and had no loving clue who Grievous was or what was going on, why does he have lightsabers, WTF?

To an (admittedly much lesser) extent, that happened in the old trilogy as well. The name Boba Fett isn't mentioned at all in Empire, and the people who knew it did so from the Holiday Special, the toy commercials or the novelization or comic books. Likewise with the Ewoks in Return of the Jedi, whose name was first spoken in the cartoon that followed.

As for Grievous, it's stated in the movie (again, admittedly with very few words) that he is a) the droid leader and a cyborg, b) that he is leading the war effort together with Dooku, c) that he has killed a lot of Jedi and collects their lightsabers. That's who he is, what is going on and why he has them. It's fleshed out more in the cartoon, yes, but there's really not any info that's missing from the movie if you pay attention. The problem is that that exposition is so very sparse and that it's buried under so much noise and flashy graphics.

EDIT: Do we get an explanation in Phantom Menace just who the Sith are and why they are so dangerous? I honestly can't remember, because I read so much about them in EU material before and after the movie.

Dave Syndrome fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 16, 2014

buffybot
Nov 7, 2002
The other problem is he's all bark and no bite. We see all his lightsabers trophies and think "oh, maybe he can actually be an effective baddie" and one of the first things he does in the movie is get blown out a viewport and run away.

I thought the Sith were dangerous because they showed up out of nowhere and tried to kill Qui-gon.

buffybot fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 16, 2014

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

buffybot posted:

The other problem is he's all bark and no bite. We see all his lightsabers trophies and think "oh, maybe he can actually be an effective baddie" and one of the first things he does in the movie is get blown out a viewport and run away.

I thought the Sith were dangerous because they showed up out of nowhere and tried to kill Qui-gon.

Sadly, all the best Grievous scenes are in the original Clone Wars series of cartoon shorts. Both the part where he hunts down Ki-adi Mundi's team of Jedi showing how badass Grievous is and the part where Mace Windu wrecks his poo poo almost instantly, giving him the cough are in there.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 06:37 on May 16, 2014

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

I'm 100% sure that's the case. "People think KOTOR 2 is better than KOTOR 1? I'll show them what the REAL story is!"

chaosrefined posted:

Agreed with everything here. I've posted a couple of times about how badly done the book was, but it really does irk me. And yeah, Karpyshyn really doesn't like KOTOR 2: The Exile literally gets stabbed in the back, certainly no way to go. A lot of people (myself included) wanted KOTOR 3; instead we got that book and The Old Republic.

Just finished the book tonight, and...yeah. I concur. There was a perfect set up with a force vampire and the force black hole that is the Exile, just like in KotoR 2. Then the Exile is offed in two sentences, right after doing the same to T3. Kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

So, I'm content to just say we never heard from Revan or Exile again after KotoR 2 and the player meets an insane Revanchist who thinks he's the real thing in SWTOR. It's less stupid that way...

Are there any easy breakdowns on what the deal is with this Legacy EU purge thing is? Like, whats canon and what isn't? I'm assuming they just whiped out everything after RotJ to make way for new movies.

As for SW names, one trick I've heard is to just use a real name in reverse. Like, Dave Jones would be E'vad Senoj. Seems to work well enough.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Canemacar posted:

As for SW names, one trick I've heard is to just use a real name in reverse. Like, Dave Jones would be E'vad Senoj. Seems to work well enough.

My first name is apparently Star Wars-y already.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Canemacar posted:

Are there any easy breakdowns on what the deal is with this Legacy EU purge thing is? Like, whats canon and what isn't? I'm assuming they just whiped out everything after RotJ to make way for new movies.

The only things that are now Star Wars canon are:

The 6 films
All 6 seasons of Clone Wars + the Clone Wars film

That's it. Everything else ever is now Legends. The upcoming Rebels TV show and the Sequel Trilogy will be in continuity, and they're gonna be putting out tie-in books that will be part of the new canon as well.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

buffybot posted:

I love how he's all, "Your lightsabres will make fine additions to my collection!" then he opens his cloak and there's like one lightsabre in it.

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009

jivjov posted:

The 6 films
All 6 seasons of Clone Wars + the Clone Wars film

That's it. Everything else ever is now Legends. The upcoming Rebels TV show and the Sequel Trilogy will be in continuity, and they're gonna be putting out tie-in books that will be part of the new canon as well.

Do we have any word on the Clone Wars cartoon series (not the CG one?) When the movies were airing it was pretty canon, as almost the full story in between Eps 2 and 3. But then when the CG show was announced the cartoon show was considered the 'pilot', which I guess is still canon. But now... has it rather faded away?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
For the first KotoR turned my screen name into J'sus Drakklord which was probably the best sith name in the game.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

EddieDean posted:

Do we have any word on the Clone Wars cartoon series (not the CG one?) When the movies were airing it was pretty canon, as almost the full story in between Eps 2 and 3. But then when the CG show was announced the cartoon show was considered the 'pilot', which I guess is still canon. But now... has it rather faded away?

I think it got mentioned somewhere that the Clone Wars cartoon is roughly canon but considered to be more or less propaganda released by the Republic to make the Jedi look like badass one man armies so the separatists will conveniently forget there are only a few hundred of them contributing to the war effort.

parara
Apr 9, 2010
I hope we haven't all forgotten about Darth Andeddu. God knows I tried.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Another reason they should've just retconned the Rule of Two in place for all Sith everywhen. At least then we probably wouldn't have delved as deeply into the shithole as Darth Karnage.

I might've unironically liked that name when I was 6.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

parara posted:

I hope we haven't all forgotten about Darth Andeddu. God knows I tried.

It's funny, it took me way longer than it should have to realize his name was supposed to be pronounced like "Undead". Partly I think it's because I mentally pronounced it the Welsh way, Andethu.

api call girl posted:

Another reason they should've just retconned the Rule of Two in place for all Sith everywhen. At least then we probably wouldn't have delved as deeply into the shithole as Darth Karnage.

I might've unironically liked that name when I was 6.

I've always wondered how long Lucas has had the rule of two in mind, or at least something along those lines. In Tales of the Jedi the Sith started out as a big mass society which then basically destroyed themselves, and then for most of the rest of the series it's a Dark Lord and an apprentice lord. Lucas was at least somewhat involved in giving his insight on the Sith to Tom Veitch, and this closely follows the general outline of Sith history Lucas gave to Terry Brooks for the TPM novelization a few years later.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Dave Syndrome posted:

EDIT: Do we get an explanation in Phantom Menace just who the Sith are and why they are so dangerous? I honestly can't remember, because I read so much about them in EU material before and after the movie.

Not in the slightest. They (Sidious mostly) are portrayed as behind-the-scenes puppeteers with Maul being muscle. No real motivation for them is presented at all in TPM outisde of some beef they have with the Jedi.

And this actually gets to the lack of characterization in most of the prequels. Characters don't go through any arcs and remain exactly as they are (in III less so). I'm watching this edit of TPM that does a lot to redeem what's there in the movie but it leaves a film that feels rushed and in desperate needs some character building/motivation/growth which you can't cut in if it was never there to begin with.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

jivjov posted:

The 6 films
All 6 seasons of Clone Wars + the Clone Wars

Wow. I was expecting some pruning, but thats more slash-and-burn. Probably for the best though. There was a lot of stupid stuff built up over the years; it was time to clean house.

I have a feeling we will see parts of the old EU start to trickle back into continuity as long as its popular enough and doesnt interfere with Disney's planned movies. Kind of like comic books after one of their reboots: all the classic stories will be revisited while the stupid stuff just gets forgotten.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
So I finished Scoundrels last night, and...I really liked it, even with the goofy as hell Indy homage, Ocean's 11 parallels, and twist that Eanjer is actually Boba Fett. I dunno, it was lighthearted enough for me to honestly enjoy.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I really liked Scoundrels too, it's nice to just throw away all the overarching plot and just have a dumb thriller.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Canemacar posted:

Wow. I was expecting some pruning, but thats more slash-and-burn. Probably for the best though. There was a lot of stupid stuff built up over the years; it was time to clean house.

I have a feeling we will see parts of the old EU start to trickle back into continuity as long as its popular enough and doesnt interfere with Disney's planned movies. Kind of like comic books after one of their reboots: all the classic stories will be revisited while the stupid stuff just gets forgotten.

Yeah, part of the announcement of the new canon thing included a bit about how the Story Group can and probably will mine the Legends continuity for ideas for the new continuity. So I wouldn't be too surprised to see Han and Leia have twins, for example, even if they aren't anything like old-EU Jacen and Jaina. Also, there's a whole lot of stuff that technically Legends EU that will most likely show up such as planets, species, and ships. It costs them litearlly nothing to say "Oh yeah, Obroa-skai is a planet that exists" or to keep things like TIE Defenders and E-Wings around.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

jivjov posted:

Yeah, part of the announcement of the new canon thing included a bit about how the Story Group can and probably will mine the Legends continuity for ideas for the new continuity. So I wouldn't be too surprised to see Han and Leia have twins, for example, even if they aren't anything like old-EU Jacen and Jaina. Also, there's a whole lot of stuff that technically Legends EU that will most likely show up such as planets, species, and ships. It costs them litearlly nothing to say "Oh yeah, Obroa-skai is a planet that exists" or to keep things like TIE Defenders and E-Wings around.

Exactly. A few examples just off the top of my head: Quinlan Vos is mentioned in both Revenge of the Sith and The Clone Wars, but it doesn't mean he has the same backstory as in the comics. The Selkath race appears in The Clone Wars - it doesn't mean that KOTOR is canon. Ryloth and Onderon, to name but two EU planets, put in an appearance. The fact that Trandoshans are a society of hunters is straight from the EU. Heck, the biggest EU borrow: Assaj Ventress. She has roughly the same backstory, but her life takes a very different turn.

I expect this is basically how it will continue in Rebels, and in Episode VII, with changes thrown in where it suits the writers, such as giving Even Piell a different death, or renaming Korriban to Moraband, which, according to Dave Filoni, happened because Lucas thought it sounded too similar to Coruscant - which, of course, was in turn adopted from the EU.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

On the discussion of Darths...

When they were trying to make The Force Unleashed have more of an impact they asked Lucas for a Darth name for Starkiller.

Or as Gameinformer puts it

quote:

The team threw a Hail Mary to George, saying the game would have more credibility if the apprentice had a ‘Darth’ title,” a Force Unleashed team member says. Lucas agreed that this situation made sense for Sith royalty, and offered up two Darth titles for the team to choose from. “He threw out ‘Darth Icky’ and ‘Darth Insanius.’There was a pregnant pause in the room after that. People waiting for George to say ‘just kidding,’ but it never comes, and he just moved on to another point.”

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Speaking about Lucas and Starkiller, this interview on the cancelled Darth Maul game had some great gems that made Lucas look like a nine year old with autism:

quote:

The next day, Red Fly finally met with George Lucas, but not before being told how to talk to him. Our source says they were told to never say “No” to him, or to say, “Yeah, that will be easy.” They were also told not to mention Force Unleashed’s protagonist, Starkiller. If he’s referred to by George, it will be “that guy.” The most important rule, much like not feeding a Mogwai after midnight, was “Don’t tell George how the Force works.”

Red Fly’s representatives arrived at the meeting point early the next day, only to find LucasArts employees rushing Force Unleashed artwork out of the conference room, and replacing it with other Star Wars artworks, including the placement of Sideshow Collectibles statues of Darth Maul and Darth Talon to the table.

A friendly George Lucas entered the room and was eager to hear the pitch from Red Fly’s creatives. “Before they could finish their spiel, Lucas cut them off, stood up, walked over to the statues, rotated them to be facing the same direction, pushed them together, and said ‘They’re friends!’” adds the source. “He wanted these characters to be friends, and to play off of each other. He talked about the show Burn Notice as a reference point. He likened Darth Maul to Sonny from The Godfather, and he likened Darth Talon to Lauren Bacall. He actually did an impersonation of her. It was supposedly the weirdest impersonation of a ’40s actress going, ‘Don’t you know how to whistle? Put your lips together and blow.’”

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/05/07/the-story-of-the-darth-maul-game-that-never-came-to-be.aspx

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
What the gently caress.

I.

What :psyduck:

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Suddenly the prequels make so much more sense.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Our world is so magical.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
:what:

Was that even Lauren Bacall???

(30 seconds of googling)

Okay, it was, for some reason I had convinced myself that it was Mae West. But STILL. Could...could George be :spergin:

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

cptn_dr posted:

Suddenly the prequels make so much more sense.

The Game Informer piece on the death of LucasArts effectively points all fingers at George for walking in and, on whims, changing entire plots of games.

That 1313 game that was teased 2 years ago? He forced them to make it Boba Fett.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/02/12/fall-of-the-empire-how-inner-turmoil-brought-down-a-legendary-studio.aspx

From the part on Fracture

quote:

When Fracture was revealed to the public, its protagonist was a character named Mason Briggs. By the time the game launched, his name was changed to Jet Brody. A person who helped give this gun-toting rebel his original name recalls going through weeks of naming conventions. “Literally, whole teams sitting together, brainstorming what looks good – the first name, the last name, etc. Done, good to go.”

But then a phantom menace struck. George Lucas would periodically check in on the status of the games his company was making, lending creative input and advice. The developer I talked to sighs, and agitatedly says, “In one viewing of Fracture, [Lucas] said it looked really good, but he didn’t like [Mason Briggs’] name. We’re like, ‘What do you mean, George?’ He responded to the effect of, ‘It doesn’t really fit. When he jumps on stuff, he moves pretty fast. I like B.J. Dart.’

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder if Lucas came up with the name "Jet Nebula" for the Old Republic MMO?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Stories like those are why I die a little every time I read the CD thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
The thing is, the warning signs were there. There was a big 3 word warning that Lucas was insane long before the prequels:

Howard. The. Duck.