Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Barry's heroic mission is solving his mother's murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Speaking of Barry doing detective stuff, I forgot to pull out a still of this scene from the extended trailer when I was making the gifs:

The tracks are just CGI on top of what I assume are some actual tracks in the crime scene, so looks like he has some kind of Detective Vision™. Wonder if that'll apply/kick in when he uses his Flash powers or if it's just going to be for some CSI shenanigans.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Just because I feel like my opinion is important enough, having just seen the finale and the extended trailer: Pretty good episode, pretty good trailer. One thing I have to say is that I'm completely over any misgivings I had about Arrow's version of Amanda Waller. Immediately dual wields a pair of pistols and drops the psychological warfare bombs? I like you, lady. Though I do wonder if that bit was done to either reduce Diggle's presence in season 3 or give him a greater stake in whatever it is. He just hasn't had all that much to do lately so I can see it going either way. Glad to see Slade is still around for his inevitable inclusion into the Suicide Squad.

As for The Flash, what else can I say but a tentative :flashfap:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

VDay posted:

Speaking of Barry doing detective stuff, I forgot to pull out a still of this scene from the extended trailer when I was making the gifs:

The tracks are just CGI on top of what I assume are some actual tracks in the crime scene, so looks like he has some kind of Detective Vision™. Wonder if that'll apply/kick in when he uses his Flash powers or if it's just going to be for some CSI shenanigans.

I think it's probably just visual shorthand for the years of education and practical experience he's putting to use as a crime scene investigator.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

WarLocke posted:

Ollie's not used to it, Ollie is loving traumatized. Dude got a 5-year crash course in being a loving soldier and had to learn how to be human again once he was back in Starling.

Barry is going to be coming at it from the other direction. Ollie was already enough of a cold-hearted bastard to be snapping necks in the pilot, but Barry is this 'oh gee ma'am' naive kid who suddenly has super powers. I anticipate that there's going to be a lot of 'whoo this is AWESOME' early on as he figures out what he can do but when the plot kicks in and suddenly he's having to protect people from the loving weather and whatever else, poo poo is gonna get dark for him. Simply because he doesn't have the same emotional scarring that Ollie has suffered/built up over time.

Uh yeah that all was my point and why the differences between Ollie and Barry will be interesting :confused:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Bad Moon posted:

Uh yeah that all was my point and why the differences between Ollie and Barry will be interesting :confused:

Sorry man, I zoomed in on 'used to it' and was like no way he's broken. :spergin:

It could be an interesting meta-arc alongside Arrows; while we've seen Ollie learn to be human again/be a hero (and it looks like we're also going to see his dehumanization via ongoing flashbacks) with Barry we're going to see a guy who has a fundamentally different, and more positive, outlook have to suddenly bear the responsibility of loving SUPERPOWERS and all the changes that will force on him.

So I guess we're in agreement. :cheers:

cycowolf
Feb 14, 2005

Refill my prescription to whatever that thing is that makes the carpet stop turning into snakes in lieu of my coming conniption

Rocksicles posted:

It's you, both those actors/characters have been great, especially Lance.

Well I am near the end of season one. The sister seems to be improving. On the other hand not Quentin. It seems to me that someone told Paul Blackthorne to play the character as if he were a meth head strung out who has to take a massive poo poo, yet is also very sleepy. His constant squinting may allude to chronic pink eye.

Love everything else though. I am really enjoying a show with flashbacks and an island that makes sense.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Is it weird that I'm mostly okay with Thea season 1? I mean, aside of the drug abuse and such - which everybody calls her out and gets a whole episode because drugs are bad - her attitude doesn't seem that out of line for a teenage sibling, especially one with a fairly turbulent background life like she has. Then again, I have a sister who's a couple years younger than me (and Thea, but eh) who can have her moments over seemingly quite petty things as well, so maybe I'm just tolerant towards that kind of attitude?

As for Lance, I thought his aesthetic and behaviour was more meant to be shorthand for 'overworked and overstressed', and the kind of guy who take several coffees just thinking it'll help him through. Then again, one would otherwise think there'd be a contrast of him in downtime, but given his role most of the time is to be 'the cop'...

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

I don't think it's been said enough that the worldbuilding in this season was just superb, and the best part is that none of it felt particularly forced. They brought the international superspy portion of the DCU in through Dig's storyline, and set up the mystic ninja assassins corner of the globe through Merlyn and Sara, tied the street level ongoings of the city through Roy, Sin, and Thea, and now Felicity is directly involved with Central City; and everything feeds right back to Oliver at the hub.

This is something that took -- oh, let's say -- Agents of SHIELD ages to finally grasp but that Arrow had understood right from the beginning: the stakes have to be personal. All your big booms and threats and lightshows mean nothing if they don't mean anything to your characters.

BTW I think this is a very good point.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Oh yeah, the most badass little thing of the episode was Diggle's cool takedown of the guard at the jail. I think it was just a trick of the camera move but it looked like he flipped off the wall and broke the guy's neck.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

homo punching bag posted:

Oh yeah, the most badass little thing of the episode was Diggle's cool takedown of the guard at the jail. I think it was just a trick of the camera move but it looked like he flipped off the wall and broke the guy's neck.

If they ever spin off the Suicide Squad it'll be a crime if they don't make Diggle their leader.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

BTW I think this is a very good point.

I mean sure if you ignore that Agents is on its first season while Arrow did all of that in its second season.

But I agree that Arrow has done a good job at establishing its own universe to exist in.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
This season was really solid, even more than season 1.

I've finally caught up from early on and binged through the whole show and it's the same great, goofy Arrow. It hits the strong points it hits and it has all the cheese that keeps it entertaining.

The girls this year have been phenomenal. Canary is my favorite character in the show, hands down. She's effortlessly believable, she kicks tons of rear end and she's a much much better actor than Laurel is. They handle her in a really cool way and it's sweet to see Black Canary getting tied into the League of Assassins. Adding ninjas to Arrow only makes it better. Ravager and Waller are the villain standouts, with Ravager's reveal being a surprisingly satisfying twist, and she's so utterly hatable so instantly. Waller chews up every scene she's in with barely restrained spite--she's like a Terminator and it's awesome. The fact that her first move in a potential hostile takeover of her command center is to bust out two pistols just endears her to me, and I can't wait to see Arrow facing her down over the next season.

I liked how they kept Roy involved in the plot, although I really felt his evolution to Red Arrow came really quickly. He spends almost the whole season being completely out of control and being a general liability that to suddenly see him don the mask at the end and fight in the big finale was...jarring. I was also not terribly thrilled by any of Laurel's plot this season. I found her fairly annoying in S1, but a necessary character to humanize Ollie, but here it's clear the writers are just sort of moving her around without any real idea of what to do with her. The fact that they have to give her a drug addiction in order to keep her character interesting is proof positive she needs to be written out of the show. She's this lingering appeal to the weird soap-opera loving CW audience that the show needed to hook in at first, and it's grating to keep her around any longer.

Slade was a cool villain, although I kind of wish they hadn't had him snarl every single line. It does make for an interesting progression to see how normal and amicable he is when you first meet him compared to his wild-eyed, growling meat grinder of a man that looms in the final scenes.

All in all, it was more Arrow that offered more everything. The action was better, the plots were better, Barry Allen was there, and I really liked it when Ollie occcasionally loving murdered a dude. I kind of wish there was a bit less grand moralizing from every single character--Felicty in particular, this season, got stuck with doing awesome poo poo half the time and lecturing Ollie the other half--and that at some point Oliver shoots a trick shot through somebody's skull that flips them onto a parking meter and he just high fives Diggle and shouts "did you SEE that" and nobody even cares and it's great.

My wish list for season 3:

1. More Flash/Barry Allen crossover
2. More Waller, more Suicide Squad
3. Maybe a little of DC's magical universe? I really just want to see Zatanna. Bring Zatanna into Arrow.
4. More trick arrows. There weren't enough trick arrows this season, just boring ole bombs.
5. Send Arrow out of Starling. Maybe a trip to Nanda Parbat to rescue Black Canary?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
With those sentences about Canary in the third paragraph you just rendered every other point unbelievable, even if I partially agreed with some of them.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Drifter posted:

With those sentences about Canary in the third paragraph you just rendered every other point unbelievable, even if I partially agreed with some of them.

What's wrong with Canary? She owns.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Her horrible awkward dialog and lovely acting. I mean say what you want about S.H.I.E.L.D at least the people there talked like real people.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

and that at some point Oliver shoots a trick shot through somebody's skull that flips them onto a parking meter and he just high fives Diggle and shouts "did you SEE that" and nobody even cares and it's great.

I need the episode number and possibly the timestamp for this. Because it sounds almost too awesome to have actually happened.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Caity Lotz is a pretty bad actress. Most people don't seem to mind because she can do most of her stunts. But every time she opens her mouth it's pretty painful.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Zaggitz posted:

I need the episode number and possibly the timestamp for this. Because it sounds almost too awesome to have actually happened.

No, I was saying that this should happen.

I don't know what all the Canary hate is about. I really liked her, she felt authentic. She's not nearly as awful as Laurel or even Moira half the time at the whole emoting thing. I didn't ever find myself cringing when she spoke, which is more than I could say for about half the rest of the cast at one point or another.

EDIT: The fact she does her own stunts makes it even cooler.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If you think Caity Lotz is more natural and believable than Katie Cassidy or especially Susanna Thompson then I don't even know what to say. There's no sense in even trying to debate that point because we're so far apart we can't even see other.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
And once again people conflate acting with stuntwork/choreography and let that feed into a halo effect.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Deadpool posted:

If you think Caity Lotz is more natural and believable than Katie Cassidy or especially Susanna Thompson then I don't even know what to say. There's no sense in even trying to debate that point because we're so far apart we can't even see other.

I think she's fine in smaller scenes with Sin or Felicity where she can rely on her natural charisma, but she's a bad big moment actress. Her death scene in the first Nyssa episode is so bad.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah Caity Lotz isn't a particularly good actress, and it doesn't help that she's also had some phenomenally awful lines. Her speech at Digg about how she was trained to eat special forces guys for breakfast and her ~darkness inside meeeee~ :emo: speech, just to name a few.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

VDay posted:

Yeah Caity Lotz isn't a particularly good actress, and it doesn't help that she's also had some phenomenally awful lines. Her speech at Digg about how she was trained to eat special forces guys for breakfast and her ~darkness inside meeeee~ :emo: speech, just to name a few.

Could anyone have delivered the darkness line well? I tend to chalk a lot of awkward deliveries to the...foibles...of the script.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I give a better 'darkness inside me' speech every time I use the toilet.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I don't think Caity's a great actress but I still really like Sara. Katie's a much more natural actress but not a lot of people find Laurel enjoyable.

It's a thing. *shrug*

Dexo posted:

I mean sure if you ignore that Agents is on its first season while Arrow did all of that in its second season.
I didn't ignore it, I outright said that Arrow focused on character-based worldbuilding right from the beginning of the show while AoS took forever to connect personal stakes to any of its threats via Garrett and Ward.

Deadshot appeared in the third episode of Arrow, and even disregarding that he's a fairly wiki-able DC character with some history and "weight" and even today appears consistently in their titles, right from the outset they didn't just bank on his name recognition and were like "Okay, why should the audience care about this guy appearing?" "Well see, he killed Diggle's brother; Diggle's a main character, you should care about his backstory, and thereby Deadshot." Boom, character threads established. Oliver taking out Deadshot? Was one of the most important moments of Dig's life and solidifies Dig's resolve to help out the vigilante...a decision that is eventually tested down the line when they discover that Deadshot is still alive. Character threads every-frikkin-where!

Graviton appeared in the third episode of AoS, and even considering that they make the point of telling us he was Fitz and Simmons' teacher, he still does nothing that affects any of the protagonists in any meaningful way. Does anyone, including his former students, even care when he gets sucked into the sciencey thingy? Will anyone so much as bat an eye when he...eventually, possibly, at some point...returns, or will it just be business as usual, just another day in their wacky lives?

Just to stress, I have no problems with the show that AoS eventually became (and yeah AoS vs Arrow discussions can be dumb and exhausting, so I know I should try to resist starting them :sweatdrop:), but basically this is the sort of thing -- personal vs impersonal stakes -- that has always come naturally to Arrow that AoS seemed to have to struggle with.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I don't think Caity Lotz is the best but Katie Cassidy has had just as many stinkers this season. At the very least when Lotz is being Sara her character doesn't annoy me. Season 1 Laurel was fine but man this season was insufferable.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Bad Moon posted:

I don't think Caity Lotz is the best but Katie Cassidy has had just as many stinkers this season. At the very least when Lotz is being Sara her character doesn't annoy me. Season 1 Laurel was fine but man this season was insufferable.

I guess, basically this?

BrianWilly posted:

Deadshot appeared in the third episode of Arrow, and even disregarding that he's a fairly wiki-able DC character with some history and "weight" and even today appears consistently in their titles, right from the outset they didn't just bank on his name recognition and were like "Okay, why should the audience care about this guy appearing?" "Well see, he killed Diggle's brother; Diggle's a main character, you should care about his backstory, and thereby Deadshot." Boom, character threads established. Oliver taking out Deadshot? Was one of the most important moments of Dig's life and solidifies Dig's resolve to help out the vigilante...a decision that is eventually tested down the line when they discover that Deadshot is still alive. Character threads every-frikkin-where!

Graviton appeared in the third episode of AoS, and even considering that they make the point of telling us he was Fitz and Simmons' teacher, he still does nothing that affects any of the protagonists in any meaningful way. Does anyone, including his former students, even care when he gets sucked into the sciencey thingy? Will anyone so much as bat an eye when he...eventually, possibly, at some point...returns, or will it just be business as usual, just another day in their wacky lives?

Just to stress, I have no problems with the show that AoS eventually became (and yeah AoS vs Arrow discussions can be dumb and exhausting, so I know I should try to resist starting them :sweatdrop:), but basically this is the sort of thing -- personal vs impersonal stakes -- that has always come naturally to Arrow that AoS seemed to have to struggle with.

I feel a great deal of this is thanks to Geoff Johns being the creative overseer of the whole DC TV universe that's developing. He basically became DC's number one writer by using this technique. He was really good at making you care about why the hero is punching this villain of the week, a skill that's harder to come by than many people seem to think. This is to diminish none of the other writing staff, but the heavy emphasis on personal growth and personal stakes for the characters feels like a hallmark of Johns.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Bad Moon posted:

You aren't supposed to like Laurel for most of this season though, she was a depressed, druggie alcoholic. Taking her own issues out on every one else. Cassidy sold those scenes extremely well, and when she totally stopped giving a gently caress and hit rock bottom her rants against Sarah and Oliver were perfect.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Dexo posted:

You aren't supposed to like Laurel for most of this season though, she was a depressed, druggie alcoholic. Taking her own issues out on every one else. Cassidy sold those scenes extremely well, and when she totally stopped giving a gently caress and hit rock bottom her rants against Sarah and Oliver were perfect.

Like is a word you have to unpack there a bit I think- I wasn't supposed to like Isabel really this season either because she's antagonizing Oliver even before we learn she's working with Slade, but I also didn't like her because every time Summer Glau tried to act like a mean serious boss-lady she looked and sounded like a bug-eyed toddler dressed up in her mom's clothes.

Laurel was supposed to be an antagonist for a lot of the season, but there was always a rigidness to her that distracted me. Also, if you're having an antagonist like Laurel, you want to make sure there's a stake in why the audience wants that resolved such that Laurel and Oliver become friends again. For a few episodes that stake was there- even though Laurel's life was falling apart and she wasn't sure who to trust, she was on to Blood as a bad guy before anyone else. But they dropped that for a while, and without that the audience had the option to feel like "ok, well you can go ahead and disappear now because you're not a component to the central Arrow story"

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 18, 2014

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I think Caity Lotz is great when she's called to be droll - her reading of "little blondes' room" is one of my favorite bits of the season. But she struggles when they give her those "bare your soul to the darkness inside" monologues that even a great actor would struggle with.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

While I don't think Lotz is great, she definitely looked more comfortable in just about all her scenes than Katie Cassidy generally has.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

While I don't think Lotz is great, she definitely looked more comfortable in just about all her scenes than Katie Cassidy generally has.

Cassidy was great on Supernatural (what I've watched of it) so I don't know what's up on Arrow. She's definitely getting better though.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!
Speaking of Caity Lotz, it's now kind of jarring to go back and watch the pilot with a different actress in that role.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

toomanyninjas posted:

Speaking of Caity Lotz, it's now kind of jarring to go back and watch the pilot with a different actress in that role.

You watch episodes more than once? Can't you pay attention the first time?

This will never not be funny to me.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!
ZOMG I forgot that made me a horrible person!

I saw the first season was on Netflix and wanted to relive Oliver's hobo beard.

overtone
Jul 26, 2001
t(o_ot)
Mad Men is my favorite show on TV right now, and Caity Lotz has been good in all her appearances on the show.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rhyno posted:

You watch episodes more than once? Can't you pay attention the first time?

Have you taken Mirikuru and gone crazy? Because you're misremembering that whole conversation.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Bonus for season 3: Maybe now no one will ever have to say mirakuru again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Caity Lotz was in the film The Machine and that pretty much is a perfect example of her abilities. It's also a good movie but she really isn't as great as people think she is. I love her in the role though and would prefer her to stick with it.

• Locked thread