Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Sharks absolutely deserved that win. Poor, error-ridden performance by the Crusaders, and the Sharks defence was doubly impressive considering they were down a man from about 20 minutes onwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin

irlZaphod posted:

Leinster v Ulster: :effort:

That finish more than made up for it though,I just hope O'Driscoll will be fit for the final.Right now,Glasgow are playing a lot better than Leinster are.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

Vagabundo posted:

Sharks absolutely deserved that win. Poor, error-ridden performance by the Crusaders, and the Sharks defence was doubly impressive considering they were down a man from about 20 minutes onwards.

No doubt. The Crusaders should feel embarassed by that loss. 15 on 14 most of the game - and 15 on 13 for a ten minute period - yet they couldn't put them away.

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
The waratahs special move this season seems to be giving away penalties left, right and centre. They're very good at ensuring the other team has multiple opportunities for easy points.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

ColtMcAsskick posted:

The waratahs special move this season seems to be giving away penalties left, right and centre. They're very good at ensuring the other team has multiple opportunities for easy points.

Yeah, they're real poo poo aren't they...

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Unimpressed posted:

Yeah, they're real poo poo aren't they...

As a Hurricanes fan I'm qualified to tell you that indeed they are.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Mister Chief posted:

Yeah, I forgot how they needed the ref's help to beat you guys :qq:

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

Mister Chief posted:

New South Wales the kings of attacking rugby

Sorry Hurricanes :clint:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Unimpressed posted:

Yeah, I forgot how they needed the ref's help to beat you guys :qq:

And as a Blues fan, I can also say "yeah, the Waratahs are a bit poo poo."

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
The new Cardiff Blues coach is Mark Hemmett. Warren Gatland has "suggested" that Gareth Anscombe should also sign for them before the squad for the Wales summer tour is announced.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/warren-gatland-opens-up-gareth-7134511

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Vagabundo posted:

And as a Blues fan, I can also say "yeah, the Waratahs are a bit poo poo."

Well, at least you beat us, and you did say "a bit poo poo".

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Tyma posted:

The new Cardiff Blues coach is Mark Hemmett. Warren Gatland has "suggested" that Gareth Anscombe should also sign for them before the squad for the Wales summer tour is announced.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/warren-gatland-opens-up-gareth-7134511

I think it's time for Gatland to gently caress off now.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
:siren: The Dark Times are over:siren:

http://www.rctoulon.com/en/news/article/jonny-wilkinson-annonce-sa-retraite/

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Has anyone checked in on Ian Robertson?

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Tyma posted:

So they want him to move to Wales and spending his entire time getting trashed by the other pro 12 teams, in the hope that he'll play for Wales and spend his entire time shipping crash ball and kicking ineffectively? They expect him to leave the chiefs to do it? Does he have no hope of playing for NZ?

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Plucky Brit posted:

So they want him to move to Wales and spending his entire time getting trashed by the other pro 12 teams, in the hope that he'll play for Wales and spend his entire time shipping crash ball and kicking ineffectively? They expect him to leave the chiefs to do it? Does he have no hope of playing for NZ?

My favorite part of this article is Gatland deeming Anscombe to be "5th or 6th in the New Zealand pecking order", but suggesting he'd snap him up in an instant, and ship Priestland off to the farm.

There's a theory going around that the whole "Moving to Wales is the difference between picking you and leaving you out" aspect of the Anscombe talks is actually to entice James Hook to sign for The Ospreys, rather than The Rebels. He has a stipulation which allows him to terminate his Perpignan contract immediately, and could sign either a Central Contract or an Ospreys contract before The Trial Match.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Plucky Brit posted:

At 10, he's behind Dan Carter, Aaron Cruden, Beauden Barrett, Colin Slade and Tom Taylor, while fellow uncapped 10s Lima Sopoaga and Hayden Parker have been more impressive

At fullback, he's behind Israel Dagg, Charlie Piutau and Ben Smith, while Cory Jane, Barrett, Slade and Taylor can all play there as well.

So, no; barring some Ben-Hur sized injury crisis or another 1986-like situation where the test side all get banned, the likelihood of Anscombe ever wearing a black jersey in a test match is rather low.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 20, 2014

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
Anscombe is about the same level as Biggar at best.
The whole situation is silly as the Great New Hope for Wales at 10 will be along soon anyway.

(Welsh Messiahs are born at 19 and die by their 26th birthday)

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Vagabundo posted:

So, no; barring some Ben-Hur sized injury crisis or another 1986-like situation where the test side all get banned, the likelihood of Anscombe ever wearing a black jersey in a test match is rather low.

What happened in 1986?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The majority of the squad went on a rebel tour to South Africa after the board decided they didn't want to step into the whole apartheid thing. They were summarily banned from the side for a bit.

wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_Cavaliers

goatface fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 19, 2014

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
The Pro12's sponsorship by Rabodirect ends this year,and one of the possible sponsors is BT,who also sponsor all four Welsh regions and are possibly buying the naming rights to Cardiff Arms Park.However,Sky have the TV rights to the Pro12,meaning next year they may have to show a BT Pro12 match in the BT Cardiff Arms Park,with two teams who both have BT on their jersey :D

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
This is awful news :( http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-27490543

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

Swan Curry posted:

The Pro12's sponsorship by Rabodirect ends this year,and one of the possible sponsors is BT,who also sponsor all four Welsh regions and are possibly buying the naming rights to Cardiff Arms Park.However,Sky have the TV rights to the Pro12,meaning next year they may have to show a BT Pro12 match in the BT Cardiff Arms Park,with two teams who both have BT on their jersey :D

Edinburgh and Glasow are also sponsored by BT Sport and I think BT are in talks with the SRU about the naming rights to Murrayfield so they might be suck showing Edinburgh matches sponsored by BT Sport soon too. :)

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Here's a more in-depth story about the Neath RFC drama :[

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Neath-RFC-pound-60-000-debt-Neath-Port-Talbot/story-21113661-detail/story.html

Swan Curry posted:

I don't really think Sky care that much about showing BT branding. Don't BT advertise heavily on all of their sports broadcasts anyway?

The deal is kind of interesting, as BT struck it with Regional Rugby Wales, which is the umbrella company that oversees the business of all 4 welsh regions. It's the company instigated war with the Welsh Rugby Union over the salary cap, which resulted in the Central Contract debacle, and the WRU bidding against clubs to sign their players away from them.

So far, BT definately have definately secured :

* The BT Sport Cardiff Arms Park
* Jersey sponsorship for The Dragons and The Scarlets
* Jersey sponsorship for The Ospreys Away jersey and Heineken Cup jersey

The really cool part of the deal is that all four Welsh regions are being integrated into the Premiership Rugby Sevens tournament this August, so it'll now be a 16-team tournament, and another chance for players to get injured :neckbeard:

Tragic Peculiar
May 22, 2008
Wow, the Welsh trial game just got even more well-organised and not-farcical:

TRISHY
Apr 12, 2005

Wallabies have announced the squad for the France Tour:

PROP
Ben Alexander - ACT Brumbies
Pek Cowan - Western Force
Sekope Kepu - NSW Waratahs
Scott Sio - ACT Brumbies
James Slipper - Queensland Reds

HOOKER
Nathan Charles - Western Force
Stephen Moore - ACT Brumbies
Tatafu Polota-Nau - NSW Waratahs

LOCK
Sam Carter - ACT Brumbies
James Horwill - Queensland Reds
Luke Jones - Melbourne Rebels
Rob Simmons - Queensland Reds
Will Skelton - NSW Waratahs

BACKROW
Scott Fardy - ACT Brumbies
Scott Higginbotham - Melbourne Rebels
Matt Hodgson - Western Force
Michael Hooper - NSW Waratahs
Ben McCalman - Western Force
Wycliff Palu - NSW Waratahs

SCRUMHALF
Will Genia - Queensland Reds
Nick Phipps - NSW Waratahs
Nic White - ACT Brumbies

FLYHALF
Kurtley Beale - NSW Waratahs
Bernard Foley - NSW Waratahs

CENTRE
Tevita Kuridrani - ACT Brumbies
Christian Leali’ifano - ACT Brumbies
Matt Toomua - ACT Brumbies

BACK-THREE
Adam Ashley-Cooper - NSW Waratahs
Nick Cummins - Western Force
Israel Folau - NSW Waratahs
Rob Horne - NSW Waratahs
Pat McCabe - ACT Brumbies

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Where is the positional specificity coming from? I mean has McKenzie actually ruled out Toomua from playing fly half or is that just some made-up breakdown?

Either way, glad to see they didn't pick Kane Douglas, even though I'm a Tahs supporter. I think the ARU needs to hold the line otherwise, we'll have a poo poo rugby comp and and a poo poo rugby team. I hope this is the usual early season dropping of Benn Robinson, since I still think he's the most effective scrummaging loosehead we have.

PS by "made up" - I don't mean to imply you made it up.

TRISHY
Apr 12, 2005

Unimpressed posted:

Where is the positional specificity coming from? I mean has McKenzie actually ruled out Toomua from playing fly half or is that just some made-up breakdown?

Either way, glad to see they didn't pick Kane Douglas, even though I'm a Tahs supporter. I think the ARU needs to hold the line otherwise, we'll have a poo poo rugby comp and and a poo poo rugby team. I hope this is the usual early season dropping of Benn Robinson, since I still think he's the most effective scrummaging loosehead we have.

PS by "made up" - I don't mean to imply you made it up.

Yeah I was a bit surprised at how they announced it, but it's listed on the Wallabies website as that, just copied and paste.

They won't announce the captain until they assemble at Sanctuary Cove...

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So how long before Palu gets injured?

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

TRISHY posted:

BACK-THREE
Adam Ashley-Cooper - NSW Waratahs
Nick Cummins - Western Force
Israel Folau - NSW Waratahs
Rob Horne - NSW Waratahs
Pat McCabe - ACT Brumbies

Give the people what they want, Mcenzie!

I don't care if he plays, just let him cover all of the PR stuff!

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

Tyma posted:

Give the people what they want, Mcenzie!

I don't care if he plays, just let him cover all of the PR stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrcoFn3s7KM

Yes.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I'm trying so hard to find the post-match interview where he opens with the phrase "I was sweating like a gypsy with a mortgage."

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Just watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKXePwCllT0

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

TRISHY posted:

Yeah I was a bit surprised at how they announced it, but it's listed on the Wallabies website as that, just copied and paste.

They won't announce the captain until they assemble at Sanctuary Cove...

Well, it looks like it's an actual thing. McKenzie confirmed in G&GR that his options for 10 are Foley and Beale, and that the rest of the positional breakdown is intentional. I can understand Foley, but not Beale. Also, I can't understand outright ruling out the Brumbies' 10, Toomua.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Why was Will Skelton selected? He's the Pierre Spies of Australia.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
With Mowen gone,who's going to be captain?Will they just give it back to Horwill?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Nick Cummins.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Swan Curry posted:

With Mowen gone,who's going to be captain?Will they just give it back to Horwill?

Nah, I reckon Moore, or maybe Hooper.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Is Hooper as thick as he looks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TRISHY
Apr 12, 2005

Mister Chief posted:

Nick Cummins.

• Locked thread