Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Well, I was going to go for a nice Saturday ride on my DRZ when I noticed that I was missing one of the bolts for the clutch lever/mirror mount clamp. It's one of those 8mm hex flange bolts. I think I was doing too many things at once when I installed my taillight and zeta armor bends last time and forgot to put the bolt back in and now it's gone

I went to home depot and tried to match as best I could without knowing the exact specs (closest I can find in the repair manual is 8-1.25x130, are these the correct measurements?) but they were too thick in diameter. Anyone know what the measurements are/where I can find exact replacements to order?

So I installed the ThumperTalk case savers instead, good lord RTV is some smelly poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Did you try looking in your mailbox for the missing parts?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Hooooly poo poo :cawg:

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

Doesn't it drain back into the swing arm though? That's the low point in the system. It shouldn't settle in the crank case on a dry sump system as far as I know. I figure as long as you're consistent with how you check and fill, that's what's important.

It definitely drains somewhere, maybe just into the oil lines and pump. The entire reservoir doesn't drain but enough for it to make a huge difference on the dipstick. But then the dipstick's range is pretty small. Also I found this neat pic:

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Digital_Jesus posted:

Did you try looking in your mailbox for the missing parts?

I haven't ordered them yet
:allears:

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Razzled posted:

I went to home depot and tried to match as best I could without knowing the exact specs (closest I can find in the repair manual is 8-1.25x130, are these the correct measurements?) but they were too thick in diameter. Anyone know what the measurements are/where I can find exact replacements to order?

the mirror clamp bolts are probably M5, M8 sounds too big, maybe you're confusing the spanner size with the thread size.

edit: you may well have fitted the bolt but not tightened it, the drz will happily discard any inadequately torqued fasteners in a few miles of riding

echomadman fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 17, 2014

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

echomadman posted:

the mirror clamp bolts are probably M5, M8 sounds too big, maybe you're confusing the spanner size with the thread size.

edit: you may well have fitted the bolt but not tightened it, the drz will happily discard any inadequately torqued fasteners in a few miles of riding

Yeah that is probably what happened, I looked everywhere in my work space and it's nowhere to be found and I was pretty careful about setting everything I took out aside. I even masking taped them with labels! I was just adjusting the angle of the clutch lever mount to mesh with the armor bends so I guess I forgot to re-tighten it.
poo poo.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

High Protein posted:

It definitely drains somewhere, maybe just into the oil lines and pump. The entire reservoir doesn't drain but enough for it to make a huge difference on the dipstick. But then the dipstick's range is pretty small. Also I found this neat pic:

Doesn't having the oil in the swingarm do weird things to the suspension, or is the amount (and hence weight) low enough to not be a factor?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The latter, and the oil is close enough to the point of rotation that its effect is negligible.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Put a new battery in it. Hopefully that fixes my BS electrical problems for good.

Took it for a 3 mile ride. Nothing bad happened, I think - it's hard to judge when you're being super vigilant about the tiniest things and haven't ridden for two weeks. "Was it making that noise before? Was my acceleration snappier with the old battery??" etc etc

M42 fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 18, 2014

tjones
May 13, 2005

New tires, rear seat cowl, ram mount, corsa windscreen and pazzo knock off levers. I still need to swap in the MCCT I picked up and lobotomize the stock mirrors so I can mount cheap turn signal mirror stalks to the OEM base.

Later this summer I'm planning a full exhaust with controller and maybe a quick shifter for shits and giggles.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

tjones posted:

New tires, rear seat cowl, ram mount, corsa windscreen and pazzo knock off levers. I still need to swap in the MCCT I picked up and lobotomize the stock mirrors so I can mount cheap turn signal mirror stalks to the OEM base.

Later this summer I'm planning a full exhaust with controller and maybe a quick shifter for shits and giggles.

Beautiful! What are you using as a crotch/tank protector?

tjones
May 13, 2005

Crayvex posted:

Beautiful! What are you using as a crotch/tank protector?

The grips are whatever super cheap offering was available from my local cycle gear, more than likely trackside or speedmetal if I would have to guess. I would love to replace mine with a set of TechSpecs, but as it stands now I can't justify spending that type of money for just grips. But boy are those things nice.

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose

tjones posted:

The grips are whatever super cheap offering was available from my local cycle gear, more than likely trackside or speedmetal if I would have to guess. I would love to replace mine with a set of TechSpecs, but as it stands now I can't justify spending that type of money for just grips. But boy are those things nice.

TechSpecs are worth every goddamn penny. Only grips I've had that really held up through rain, etc and look/function pretty much new after 2 years.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Razzled posted:

Yeah that is probably what happened, I looked everywhere in my work space and it's nowhere to be found and I was pretty careful about setting everything I took out aside. I even masking taped them with labels! I was just adjusting the angle of the clutch lever mount to mesh with the armor bends so I guess I forgot to re-tighten it.
poo poo.

Don't touch any bolts on a DRZ without some medium strength threadlocker handy.

That, or a small properly calibrated torque wrench and a manual full of torque specs for the tiniest thing. Also luck.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

tjones posted:

Techspecs make a sportbike properly rideable and more comfortable on the streets. Get them. I've had them on every bike I've owned and it's generally the first thing I buy. Techspec grips and Renthal road racing soft grips. Every time.
09 ZX6R

06 Daytona 675 with 09 motor swap

06 GSXR750

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 12:15 on May 18, 2014

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Safety Dance posted:

The latter, and the oil is close enough to the point of rotation that its effect is negligible.

It's all of 2.75 qts anyhow.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~

BlackMK4 posted:

Techspecs make a sportbike properly rideable and more comfortable on the streets. Get them. I've had them on every bike I've owned and it's generally the first thing I buy. Techspec grips and Renthal road racing soft grips. Every time.

They don't make these for my bike :(

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I think techspec also sells the material in a small sheet if you want to trim your own.

I've got a snakeskin tank protector on the C14 and I really like it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've successfully used the grippy stuff they put on skateboards before. Disclaimer: was on a lovely old bike, don't know what the adhesive would do to paint you care about.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

slidebite posted:

I think techspec also sells the material in a small sheet if you want to trim your own.

They sell a big package of it here http://www.amazon.com/TechSpec-62-0002-SS-Tank-Grip/dp/B00E1M25YC/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1400456955&sr=1-4&keywords=techspec that you cut to fit.
I made a set for my FZR and had plenty left over to make a set for the GS. I still have two small squares that were precut as tank protectors and some left over from the do it yourself sheets. I love the stuff. It's super grippy but not pokey like Stomp Grip. That stuff hurt my sensitive, never sees sun pasty white boy skin though textile overpants.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Plasti-dipped my DR650 this evening. I wasn't a fan of the color/sticker scheme of the stock build. I forgot to take pictures of it in progress since I was in the zone, but here is the finished product:

Pretty happy with it.

Before:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Went to clean the spark plugs, broke one of them putting it back in :(

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Broke the plug or broke it off in the engine? If it's just the plug, meh, they're like 2 dollars. Go to VatoZone and get five so you always have spares.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
In the engine. Everything's closed for Victoria Day, so it's off to Can Tire tomorrow for a screw extractor.

I've never seen $2 plugs. Must be the same mythical dollar quarts of oil you Yanks get ;)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

In the engine. Everything's closed for Victoria Day, so it's off to Can Tire tomorrow for a screw extractor.

I've never seen $2 plugs. Must be the same mythical dollar quarts of oil you Yanks get ;)

I grew up in Canada and I think I used to buy plugs at crappy tire for like $7 for a two pack, which isn't that much worse.

Or if you can do Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/NGK-DPR8EA9-Auto-Part/dp/B0025QPXH2/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1400532536&sr=8-9&keywords=dpr8ea-9

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Lubed my chain, then figured I'd do the chain on my husband's bike as well because I'm nice like tha-aaaAAA :stonk:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I don't know, looks like there's plenty of lube on there already.

nice, asphalt and metal shaving based lube.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Sock Weasel posted:

Lubed my chain, then figured I'd do the chain on my husband's bike as well because I'm nice like tha-aaaAAA :stonk:

You are seriously a really good wife/husband/whatever because I consider chain cleaning one of the most miserable motorcycle-related jobs in existence, and would be thrilled to find that someone cleaned mine for me. I would rather do an oil change and brake job in one sitting than slog through the chain with kerosene and that horrible can of chain lube that seems to spray everywhere but the goddamned chain. :mad: Next bike is shaft drive, old man be damned.

Also I couldn't figure out the angle on the swingarm in that picture and thought your husband had been riding with the World's Slackest ChainTM.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Get a piece of cardboard to fit between the chain and the wheel, catches all the overspray.

tjones
May 13, 2005

Chris Knight posted:

Get a piece of cardboard to fit between the chain and the wheel, catches all the overspray.

I do something similar with a hastily rigged apparatus made from layers of newspaper.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~
Removed the metal backings from my blinkers so they plop out now if I drop it.

I also put new tires on but didn't bother to take pics of them on the bike.

Sagebrush posted:

Broke the plug or broke it off in the engine? If it's just the plug, meh, they're like 2 dollars. Go to VatoZone and get five so you always have spares.

You can never have too many spark plugs:

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Rode it 451 miles http://tinyurl.com/pk54ycv

Also the battery died in the hotel parking lot somehow...so had to go get a new one today.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Did the R6 throttle tube mod on my 2000 SV650N. I had to loosen the big adjusters at the carb rack to get enough slack on the cables to get the drat thing on, so it wasn't a quick 10 minute job, and I had to loosen all four adjusters all the way just to get to the factory spec for cable tension.

But it feels "right" now, in a way that's hard to explain since I've never known it any other way. Throttle action, particularly rev matching on downshifts, feels a lot more natural now and the bike seems to be running and idling exceptionally smoothly. Maybe it's the warm weather. I think I almost got busted testing the WOT action on a tollway access road but the cop didn't see me until I had slowed back down again, so it was a good day.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I was super excited because Fed-Ex finally delivered the wheel and sprocket hub. I had all my parts and was ready to throw it back on the bike. Went to the leasing office, picked up the parts, got all my tools together, and suddenly realized it's not the right wheel or hub :smithicide: My axle is way too big and there's no way it's going to fit. The brake rotor doesn't line up with the mounting points, and the rotor side of the wheel even looks different than the one off my bike. At the moment, I'm going back and forth with the people I bought it from. They claim it's off an 09 FZ6, but that's the same year as mine. Not sure what the issue there is, but hopefully I can settle this with them and not open anything with Ebay or charge-backs with the bank.
The weather has great yesterday and I was tired of driving a car. Did some research, and it turns out that my bike has the exact same wheels as an 03-06 R6. Called up Bent Bike and they have a wrecked 03 with a sprocket and disc on it. I drove down and checked it out. Other than scratches on the rim from normal road use and using tire irons without a rim guard, it's in good condition. The rotor and sprocket are covered in surface rust, but who cares; I'm tossing them. I think the previous owner was a fair-weather, because other than the condition of the rim, everything was clean: bearings; internals; etc. All clean.
$225 later, I've got a wheel that will actually fit my bike.
Ran down to work, threw a Pirelli Angel on the rim, took off the old sprocket & put mine on, removed the rusty disc, and headed home to put everything back together.
My bike is now back together and running just fine. Went on a booze run down to the store to make sure everything was on the up-and-up.
The K&N sucks in a lot more air and you can definitely hear it. The EBC clutch is a lot stiffer than stock, but engages and is overall a lot smoother. Now I just have to figure out why the rear brake isn't working properly.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Whats a rear brake?

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

That's the brake you use when you don't need to layer dan.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Alceste posted:

Did the R6 throttle tube mod on my 2000 SV650N. I had to loosen the big adjusters at the carb rack to get enough slack on the cables to get the drat thing on, so it wasn't a quick 10 minute job, and I had to loosen all four adjusters all the way just to get to the factory spec for cable tension.

But it feels "right" now, in a way that's hard to explain since I've never known it any other way. Throttle action, particularly rev matching on downshifts, feels a lot more natural now and the bike seems to be running and idling exceptionally smoothly. Maybe it's the warm weather. I think I almost got busted testing the WOT action on a tollway access road but the cop didn't see me until I had slowed back down again, so it was a good day.

Gen 1 or 2? I've been wanting to do it to my Ninja 500, impossible to get near anywhere near WOT without regripping or creeping. I went ahead and ordered both, and did the zip tie method while waiting for them to arrive to see how much a difference it made.

Stock is 33.5 mm, zip tie was 1.1 mm thick, so 2.2 added total for an end result of 35.4.

Gen 1 R6 is 1/5 turn throttle with diameter of 36.9, gen 2 is 1/6 turn with a diameter of 40.8. Zip tie didn't really make an appreciable difference so I think I'm just going to stick the 1/6 turn on there, though it will probably require dremeling some of the throttle housing out. I wish someone made a progressive cam, I tapered the zip tie so it was pretty much the same at the beginning and only really made a difference once you got on it. It's only a 500 though, not like it's going to rip the bars out of my hands.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Bled the brakes, but the piston is still sticking. No pressure at the pedal. I even flushed and refilled the system, followed by a bleed. Nothing. I'll just take it down to my co-worker's shop and see what's up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Fixed the broken-off sparkplug in the engine with the most hilariously jerry-rigged contraption imaginable:

Then put in the spare plug, and took 'er out for a spin. Still needs work, but eh, it's a runner.