Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rscott
Dec 10, 2009
That's kind of my point, any left wing militia would be quashed very quickly as a terrorist organization in today's political climate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

rscott posted:

That's kind of my point, any left wing militia would be quashed very quickly as a terrorist organization in today's political climate.

To be fair, if the Bundy people started following the police around while armed, they'd (finally) get the same response.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Obama is said to have offered Julian Castro a cabinet post, which he's inclined to accept. OMB would seem to be the likeliest with Burwell moving to HHS.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Joementum posted:

Obama is said to have offered Julian Castro a cabinet post, which he's inclined to accept. OMB would seem to be the likeliest with Burwell moving to HHS.

I kinda don't want either Castro to leave Texas though. :ohdear:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Joementum posted:

So all I really know of this guy is he gave a solid speech at the convention. Is he actually good, or more like Booker?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Joementum posted:

I'm guessing Education. Duncan's been there since the beginning, and both the end (and continue) of segregation and testing have been heavily in the news.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

1stGear posted:

I kinda don't want either Castro to leave Texas though. :ohdear:

He has to get poisoned and turn into a shell of himself make connections in DC.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Stoic Madman posted:

I think it would be hilarious if someone made an serious attempt to organize a left-wing milita. Have a platform of income equality, worker's rights, universal health care, privacy rights, etc. Watch the Republicans trip all over themselves shutting that down.
I like to think if I won the lottery I'd find a bunch of people that give the right fits (gays, PoC, etc) and pay them to show up at a bunch of these rallies armed with AR-15's. Then tell all the crackpots that they agree with them about the federal government and gun laws just to see their reactions.

But then I realize it would probably end up with one or more of them getting shot by a loony. :smith:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

SubponticatePoster posted:

I like to think if I won the lottery I'd find a bunch of people that give the right fits (gays, PoC, etc) and pay them to show up at a bunch of these rallies armed with AR-15's. Then tell all the crackpots that they agree with them about the federal government and gun laws just to see their reactions.

But then I realize it would probably end up with one or more of them getting shot by a loony. :smith:

It wouldn't work anyway, they'd just take it as proof that liberals are the real racists/homophobes/whatever and try to get them all speaking gigs at future rallies.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
According to the Post, Castro's getting HUD, with Donovan possibly moving to OMB.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Joementum posted:

According to the Post, Castro's getting HUD, with Donovan possibly moving to OMB.

NYT is also reporting this. Not sure how I feel about this.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Is he a good fit for the post?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Joementum posted:

I can only imagine the insanity that Fox will stir among their brain damaged base by announcing that Obama's working closely with :siren:a Castro brother :siren:(no relation to the ones running Cuba(?)).

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Redeye Flight posted:

Is he a good fit for the post?

San Antonio's done some absolutely groundbreaking work in its own social services and so on, so my only concern would be how adaptable its lessons are to an immediate jump to the national scale. Assuming they're pretty adaptable, Julian Castro is a fantastic fit.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Oh man, I bet Obama was laughing to himself as he made a perfectly reasonable choice for a cabinet member that he knew would be opposed for completely racist reasons. Gonna be fun watching conservatives fall all over themselves criticizing it for totally not racist reasons.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
If it has to go to Senate confirmation, is there a possibility the Republicans just hold it up?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Democrats changed the rules in the Senate last year so that executive appointments only require a 50 vote threshold. The Republicans can delay it for a few days and eat up time in the Senate, but they can't block it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Warchicken posted:

Oh man, I bet Obama was laughing to himself as he made a perfectly reasonable choice for a cabinet member that he knew would be opposed for completely racist reasons. Gonna be fun watching conservatives fall all over themselves criticizing it for totally not racist reasons.

The most common reason will probably be "we don't want him to get experience so he can be a presidential candidate".

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I know the weekend is typically slow for news, but there's a new book coming out on our favorite billionaires, the Koch Brothers:

The Huffington Post posted:

WASHINGTON -- Charles and David Koch are the unofficial standard-bearers of a new generation of billionaires, willing to spend immense sums to influence politics. Best known for bankrolling the tea party movement, the fiercely private Koch family has achieved a quasi-mythical status in political circles. Yet they remain an enigma to most Americans.

Sons of Wichita: How the Koch Brothers Became America’s Most Powerful and Private Dynasty aims to change that. Written by Mother Jones senior editor Daniel Schulman, the biography, set to be released Tuesday, draws on hundreds of interviews with Koch family and friends, as well as thousands of pages of legal documents. The Huffington Post received a copy of the book on Friday.

Schulman examines the roots of Charles and David Koch's libertarian worldview through the lens of their family, including the formative relationship that all four Koch brothers had with their father, the cold, ambitious Fred Koch. Schulman also traces the bitter and litigious history of Charles and David Koch's relationships with their lesser-known brothers: Frederick, the eldest, and Bill, David’s twin brother.

At the center of the saga is patriarch Fred Koch, a staunch anti-communist who drilled his political ideology into his sons from a young age. In 1938, then sympathetic to the fascist regimes ruling Germany, Italy and Japan, Fred wrote that he hoped one day the United States would resemble these nations, which had "overcome" the vices of "idleness, feeding at the public trough, [and] dependence on government."

Elsewhere, Fred warned of a future "vicious race war" in which communists would pit black Americans against white. "The colored man looms large in the Communist plan to take over America," he wrote.

In private, Fred Koch "ruled the house with an iron fist” and faith in social Darwinism. Schulman recounts how the former boxer encouraged his sons to fight each other, sometimes with horrifying results. "During one bout, Bill bashed his twin over the head with a polo mallet," Schulman writes. And "David still bears a scar from the time Bill pierced him in the back with a ceremonial sword." Those early lessons left a deep imprint on the brothers.

Frederick, the oldest, was an outsider in the rough-and-tumble boys club of the Koch house. "Freddie was a sophisticate, a man of the world, in addition to the fact that he was gay, [which] wasn't easily accepted in those days," said a family friend.

Instead, it was Charles, the middle child, who became the vehicle for his father’s ambitions. According to a friend, the father worried that he had been "too kind to Freddie, and that's why he turned out to be so effeminate. When Charles came along, the old man wasn't going to make that mistake. So he was really, really tough on Charles."

The result was a serious, extremely disciplined man, who along with his younger brother David, would transform their father's medium-sized oil refining business, Koch Industries, into one of the largest privately held corporations in the world. But their success came at a high price.

Schulman describes how Charles, unable to convince brother Frederick to sell his stake in Koch Industries, allegedly resorted to "a homosexual blackmail attempt to force Frederick to sell his shares." And when the youngest twin, Bill, launched a bid to wrest control of Koch Industries from his older brothers, Charles' legal team responded by releasing a dossier of opposition research on Bill, filled with sordid details of his personal life.

In 2000, Bill's then-wife Angela, the mother of two of his children, called the police to accuse Bill of punching her in the stomach and threatening "to beat his whole family to death with his belt." Bill was charged with domestic assault and threatening to commit murder. Angela later recanted parts of her account, shortly before receiving a divorce settlement worth $16 million.

Nonetheless, Bill spent decades waging vicious legal battles against Charles and David, which cost the family tens of millions of dollars. Much of the book revolves around Bill's failed attempts to gain control of Koch Industries.

As Schulman recounts, Bill hired private investigators to bug his brothers' offices and pick through the garbage cans at their homes. He planted false memos aimed at rooting out spies in his own company, Oxbow, who he suspected were secretly working for his brothers.

While Bill's anger may have been rooted in childhood rivalries, according to Schulman, it was exacerbated by Charles' ultra-libertarian business philosophy, which Bill considered bad for business. Schulman describes how Charles, and by extension Koch Industries, regularly ignored environmental regulations on principle, believing them to be a hallmark of "Big Brother" government.

After losing a string of huge regulatory battles in the 1990s and paying heavy fines, Charles softened his stance somewhat. Still, the company remains a libertarian venture to this day. Schulman writes that Charles believes the role of government should be "only to keep a check on those who might attempt to interfere with the laws of supply and demand."

Charles still lives in their hometown of Wichita, Kansas, with his wife, Liz, and generally avoids drawing attention to himself or his family.

By comparison, his brothers can seem like dilettantes, despite Schulman's exceptionally fair treatment.

As a bachelor, David was known for hosting hundreds of people at champagne-soaked, all-night parties at his homes in Aspen, Colorado, and Southampton, New York. He once boasted that at least a third of his guests were "beautiful, wild, single women." A guest told Schulman, "A lot of the crowd were these L.A. chicks who had just bought a new pair of tits and wanted to make sure that they did not go unnoticed -- those parties got pretty wild."

In 1996, Bill went to court to evict his former girlfriend from the Boston apartment he had set her up in. Included in the court records were faxes the couple exchanged, some of them sexually explicit. One of the notes was signed "Hot Love From Your X-Rated Protestant Princess." In another, the woman described herself as "a wet orchid," writing, "every inch of my body misses you." Bill succeeded in having her evicted.

For his part, Frederick lives an intensely private life and apparently has little contact with his three brothers. He maintains a collection of historic houses around the world, as well as smaller homes in which he actually lives. The historic houses, which Frederick fills with priceless art, essentially serve as his own private museums.

I was going to bold portions of the article but the entire thing is really worth a read. So here we have brothers raised by a sociopath who admired Nazi Germany, forced his children to abuse each other for his amusement and fostered a belief in Social Darwinism and more than likely eugenics. A father who, after having a gay son, was extremely harsh on Charles Koch. For a man that made his children beat each other with polo sticks and attack each other with swords, God knows how this manifested. This resulted in Charles Koch using his brother Fredrick's homosexuality as blackmail material to get him to sell his portion of the business. Charles, who believes that the only function of government is to make sure no one interferes with supply and demand (basically the function of a third world banana republic).

It reads like a tragedy if it didn't affect this country so much. Charles and David always pining for the love of their twisted, cold, psychopath father and becoming like him in the process. Bill, being jealous of the two, trying to wrest control of the business from the others. And ostracized Fredrick, who wants nothing to do with the rest of the family (basically the best and most tragic of the Koch brothers). Besides Fredrick, this family is literally a cancer in America. If there was any justice in the world, these sick fucks would be cut out with a rusty scalpel.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 17, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
drat, how do you even beat people to death with a belt? That's thirsty work right there.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

SedanChair posted:

There's no need to support any anti-gun agenda, and even these death threats won't generate any organized or intelligent opposition. Now once an open carry group decides to just mow down a gathering of Moms Against Bad Guns or whatever, that might do some damage.

Here's the thing, that might actually happen. These people are crazy and getting crazier, and eventually one or more will snap. Of course, if they didn't have guns and American gun culture, we wouldn't have that risk.

Miltank posted:

We are living in post-Sandy Hook America. What event could possibly make anyone change their stance on gun control that hasn't happened already? The Dems burned away all their goodwill by tolerating polarizing figures like Fienstein(spelling?) and pushing through obviously useless legislation such as the assault weapon ban. As it stands now democrats stand to lose absolutely from ignoring guns the same way that they ignore every other issue that the two party system allows them to. Nothing will change that. There will be no meaningful gun legislation for a generation.

Someone shooting up a Moms Against Guns rally at a small-town elementary school. That's what event.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Dapper Dan posted:

I know the weekend is typically slow for news, but there's a new book coming out on our favorite billionaires, the Koch Brothers:

I was going to bold portions of the article but the entire thing is really worth a read. So here we have brothers raised by a sociopath who admired Nazi Germany, forced his children to abuse each other for his amusement and fostered a belief in Social Darwinism and more than likely eugenics. A father who, after having a gay son, was extremely harsh on Charles Koch. For a man that made his children beat each other with polo sticks and attack each other with swords, God knows how this manifested. This resulted in Charles Koch using his brother Fredrick's homosexuality as blackmail material to get him to sell his portion of the business. Charles, who believes that the only function of government is to make sure no one interferes with supply and demand (basically the function of a third world banana republic).

It reads like a tragedy if it didn't affect this country so much. Charles and David always pining for the love of their twisted, cold, psychopath father and becoming like him in the process. Bill, being jealous of the two, trying to wrest control of the business from the others. And ostracized Fredrick, who wants nothing to do with the rest of the family (basically the best and most tragic of the Koch brothers). Besides Fredrick, this family is literally a cancer in America. If there was any justice in the world, these sick fucks would be cut out with a rusty scalpel.

So now two sociopaths objectivist twins have half the right wing wrapped around their finger. They are willing to flush this country down the shitter so they can make a couple billion. And whats worse is they are practically felicitated by people like bachmen and the religious right. you would think bachmen would have read Parable of the Rich Fool.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parable_of_the_Rich_Fool

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The Warszawa posted:

Hey, there are parts of the south that are raising taxes on themselves to fund public services!

Oh.

Excuse me, but the very highly rated comment from a man forced by his evil liberal mother to send his white bigoted rear end to Malcom X Highschool ruined his life because he had no white friends to insult the loving n-

Liberals are evil.

Also every racist literally says, "Call me a racist, but it's the truth, and thus not racist!"

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 17, 2014

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

SedanChair posted:

drat, how do you even beat people to death with a belt? That's thirsty work right there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtdBLAY7OlM

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

pengun101 posted:

So now two sociopaths objectivist twins have half the right wing wrapped around their finger. They are willing to flush this country down the shitter so they can make a couple billion. And whats worse is they are practically felicitated by people like bachmen and the religious right. you would think bachmen would have read Parable of the Rich Fool.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parable_of_the_Rich_Fool

It seems that the Koch brothers are True Believers™ thanks to their daddy issues. They aren't cynics, prostituting themselves for whatever cause is popular at the moment. This is what they actually believe, which is why the Republican establishment was/is terrified of the tea party. While the establishment was happy with right wing welfare and not really intending to do anything serious about what the nutters cared about, the tea party libertarians are perfectly happy to burn everything to the ground.

One part of the problem is that the religious right and most born-agains don't really go for the whole 'biblical literacy' thing. (On a side note, anyone remotely curious about biblical literacy should buy an Oxford Annotated Bible, which is a study bible). The other, bigger part, is that most of these movements are based on the disgusting notion of Prosperity Theology. In a nutshell, the rich are wealthy because they are blessed by God and deserve it, while the poor are in dire financial straits because they are being punished for some sin or don't worship him enough. This is the only way that those who have the mega-churches and rake in the millions/billions can still be viewed as 'holy men'. It is pretty disgusting.

Never mind that Jesus hated usury, said that the rich would basically never go to heaven and the best way to worship was to be a humble ascetic and not a braggart. True Christianity would cut too much into their profit margins.

This is a major reason why the loathe the current Pope, because Jesuits don't believe or tolerate the notion of Prosperity Theology.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 17, 2014

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Miss Beazley (pictured here with Barney) died today after suffering from lymphoma. RIP. :911:

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Joementum posted:

Miss Beazley (pictured here with Barney) died today after suffering from lymphoma. RIP. :911:

The end of an era :911:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Those Scottish terriers and the cat were the best part of the Bush administration.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

hobbesmaster posted:

Those Scottish terriers and the cat were the best part of the Bush administration.

They are now all dead :smith:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

AsInHowe posted:

Someone shooting up a Moms Against Guns rally at a small-town elementary school. That's what event.

Dramatic political shootings of gun control figures is the only thing that I imagine could change the paradigm over the gun debate. Once the more unstable gun collecting types start using their guns for concerted political violence and not just, "I am a crazy person, I think I shall go shoot up a kindergarten today," type incidents will people be forced to put a clamp on the issue.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
You donate one time... ONE TIME to the DNC and you get over a thousand pictures of Bo and Sunny, yet I have never seen Debbie Wasserman-Schulz dogs. What are you hiding DNC? #doghazi

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Joementum posted:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Best Presidential pet was obviously the Coolidges pet raccoons Rebecca and Horace. They were given to the President as a Thanksgiving gift from the Mississippi delegation who intended them to be eaten (of course), but Calvin kept them as pets instead.

They also had pet lion cubs, a donkey, a goose, a bobcat, a pygmy hippo, and a wallaby.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
Sounds like a :newt: presidency. We really need cooler pets in the White House again.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

Joementum posted:

Best Presidential pet was obviously the Coolidges pet raccoons Rebecca and Horace. They were given to the President as a Thanksgiving gift from the Mississippi delegation who intended them to be eaten (of course), but Calvin kept them as pets instead.

I love America. I mean, it sucks in so many ways, but just the fact that a delegation from Mississippi gave the president raccoons as food ... I don't know. :patriot:

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

Dramatic political shootings of gun control figures is the only thing that I imagine could change the paradigm over the gun debate. Once the more unstable gun collecting types start using their guns for concerted political violence and not just, "I am a crazy person, I think I shall go shoot up a kindergarten today," type incidents will people be forced to put a clamp on the issue.
No way. The American people have accepted that all mass shootings are isolated incidents unrelated to lax gun control. It would take armed minorities, or the homeless.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
I will base my next presidential vote on which candidate has the best pets.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

BUSH 2112 posted:

I love America. I mean, it sucks in so many ways, but just the fact that a delegation from Mississippi gave the president raccoons as food ... I don't know. :patriot:

I think I'd put raccoons up there with opossums and muskrats for poo poo that I'd only eat if I was dying and had no other choice.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Evil Fluffy posted:

I think I'd put raccoons up there with opossums and muskrats for poo poo that I'd only eat if I was dying and had no other choice.

Which is a pretty good idea, because raccoons are pretty much loaded to the gills with some nasty parasites that cooking doesn't really get rid of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Raccoons might make some fun pets though!

• Locked thread