Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

They look like a happy interracial couple, don't hate. Also learn python for your scripting needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

OK. drat imagine if i kept on making my app in a programming language that was a piece of poo poo.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

All languages are a piece of poo poo. Luddites were probably onto something

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
there's poo poo, and then there's php.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
when richard stallman dies can we embed celebration in the POS for a day, change all post icons to party, make all emoticons into that clown balloon, and change the background to cosby dancing

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

and the GPL spell binding the land will be broken

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

FamDav posted:

when richard stallman dies can we embed celebration in the POS for a day, change all post icons to party, make all emoticons into that clown balloon, and change the background to cosby dancing

it's what rms would have wanted

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Shaggar posted:

the model isn't business logic it's just the data that goes in the view. business logic determines how to process the request meaning it goes in the controller.

k then call it m business logic vc

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

bro dev insists: no fat controllers

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
bro devs like fat models because the curves fit and they have no gag reflex fyi

PIGEOTO
Sep 11, 2007

Lmfao or maybe you are all nerds that think mvc is some kind of thing that people actually care about sticking to iRL. Eat my bumhole scrublords

PIGEOTO
Sep 11, 2007

uhhhh so if you're model isnt this its wrong, and the view should be dumb, and also the controller is where everything else goes
- a dumb thing yosposters have been debating for 2 pages

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

PIGEOTO posted:

Lmfao or maybe you are all nerds that think mvc is some kind of thing that people actually care about sticking to iRL. Eat my bumhole scrublords

Agreed on the theory, but disagreed on the conclusion.

PIGEOTO
Sep 11, 2007

I would laffo so hard at if some nerd intern dipshit came into the office and was like "Okay this is bad. Our architecture doesn't conform precisely to the imaginary standards of MVC". Suck My Dick.

PIGEOTO
Sep 11, 2007

I just realised QT has functionality in its view?? What a piece of poo poo?????? Amirite??? LMao

Police Academy III
Nov 4, 2011
I've been a professional web 'developer' for 9 months now and I still have no idea what mvc is lol

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

Police Academy III posted:

I've been a professional web 'developer' for 9 months now and I still have no idea what mvc is lol

neither does facebook apparently

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Socracheese posted:

neither does facebook apparently

lol wow what losers hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
it was pretty laffo when i started at my job and my boss told me "we do everything mvc style here" and when i started looking in to the code i found controllers that did nothing but forward to jsps and scriplets, scriplets as far as the eye could see

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

PIGEOTO posted:

uhhhh so if you're model isnt this its wrong, and the view should be dumb, and also the controller is where everything else goes
- a dumb thing yosposters have been debating for 2 pages

dumb nerds debating design so there isn't as much lovely software in the world, and for 2 whole pages, what are they thinking

PIGEOTO
Sep 11, 2007

Nipplebox posted:

dumb nerds debating design so there isn't as much lovely software in the world, and for 2 whole pages, what are they thinking

if you're one of those morons that parades around mvc like it actually has any kind of strict definition and solves even remotely the amount of problems you think it does then all the code you produce is most likely going to be utter shite anyway, so cheers.

PIGEOTO
Sep 11, 2007

heh, so let's debate about good design methodologys!! *slams 'software engineering for dummies' on table, automatically opening to section about Model View Controller*

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
mvc is really good and solves a bunch of problems

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

Shaggar posted:

fwiw, i'm not sure what you described was actually mvc

but i think it sounds like a good way to structure web apps, and I really despise arguing about definitions, so...

PIGEOTO
Sep 11, 2007

Shaggar posted:

my point is MVC is one of those dumb things that literally does not matter how you define most of it, hence the furious discussion between morons about whether the model should be functional or whether the view should be a loving format string or what the controller actually does. who actually cares, and strict adherence to any of the definitions hamstrings you in some way or another later, that is if you're making a project that isn't for university.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

and i learned that tbc is an ivory tower academic opposed to pragmatic php

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Police Academy III posted:

80% of web mvc is making sure that your app has some kind of kernel with no dependence on http or HTML whatsoever

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Gazpacho posted:

80% of web mvc is making sure that your app has some kind of kernel with no dependence on http or HTML whatsoever

today it's an http api serving json, but tomorrow...who knows! maybe it will be soap over amqp. oh and we're not using postgresql anymore, the storage is riak. i hope your model layer is sufficiently abstracted to accommodate this change

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
everything is poo poo

especially python

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

today it's an http api serving json, but tomorrow...who knows! maybe it will be soap over amqp. oh and we're not using postgresql anymore, the storage is riak. i hope your model layer is sufficiently abstracted to accommodate this change

dont worry its an orm so we can just slot in any storage theres no ... hahaaahahaaa

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

it was pretty laffo when i started at my job and my boss told me "we do everything mvc style here" and when i started looking in to the code i found controllers that did nothing but forward to jsps and scriplets, scriplets as far as the eye could see

this is so many companies ever "yeah we do source control" *has a few dozen commits in months all named "fix"* "we are totally in to kanban" *has a bunch of stickies on a wall like 'bugfix mail system' and 'friday casual day'* "node is the future" *most of everything still runs on classic asp with no goal to change any of it*

not that im defending node!!!!!!!!

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
this is why if something matters to you in a job interview you don't leave it at a yes or no answer

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

PIGEOTO posted:

my point is MVC is one of those dumb things that literally does not matter how you define most of it, hence the furious discussion between morons about whether the model should be functional or whether the view should be a loving format string or what the controller actually does. who actually cares, and strict adherence to any of the definitions hamstrings you in some way or another later, that is if you're making a project that isn't for university.

you're angry for no reason

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Gotta say a lot of the people bitching at fb don't have any more clue about mvc, having apparently learned anything except the original pattern and then elevated that particular bastardiZation to holy writ. Maybe that's pigeontoe's point

Convoolio
Oct 31, 2005

Shaggar posted:

the model should be a pojo/poco. just a bunch of fields ur gonna put data in and that's it. no logic.

the view takes in a model and displays the fields in various places. No real logic here either cause everything the view needs should already be in the model.

the controller takes the request from the client, figures out what they want, grabs any data from the database, and then transforms it into a model. It then picks a view to stuff the model in, renders it, and sends it to the client.

alot of that wont be in the controller class, but u should still consider it part of the controller

what the fuckkkk

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Gazpacho posted:

Gotta say a lot of the people bitching at fb don't have any more clue about mvc, having apparently learned anything except the original pattern and then elevated that particular bastardiZation to holy writ. Maybe that's pigeontoe's point

overall using facebooks technology choices as bad examples is a great way to illustrate to just about anyone that you care more deeply about what is right than about what works

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

overall using facebooks technology choices as bad examples is a great way to illustrate to just about anyone that you care more deeply about what is right than about what works

https://www.facebook.com/notes/facebook-engineering/under-the-hood-dalvik-patch-for-facebook-for-android/10151345597798920

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

not pretty, but it was more googles failure than facebooks, and it is pretty clearly on the "make poo poo work" side of the spectrum. an ugly hack, but one that was already on a timetable to get phased out

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
as long as you don't string bash together html in the middle of ur code then ur probably fine

otherwise uh enjoy your xss exploits i guess?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Condiv posted:

in other programming news, facebook doesn't understand mvc and reinvents the wheel

this is what my first mvc thing looked like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

this is what my first mvc thing looked like

And also your last, too.