Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Does being really rare make something gold if it's a total dog?

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/4471538394.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

AlternateAccount posted:

Does being really rare make something gold if it's a total dog?

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/4471538394.html

Chevettes have been going up in price recently, being a diesel to boot that's probably not a bad deal actually. Plus I bet it would be a lot of fun to swap a modern turbo-diesel into it and surprise the poo poo out if people :getin:

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Terrible Robot posted:

Chevettes have been going up in price recently, being a diesel to boot that's probably not a bad deal actually. Plus I bet it would be a lot of fun to swap a modern turbo-diesel into it and surprise the poo poo out if people :getin:

I don't care if you put a retired engine from the SR71 in it, you'll still be driving one of the biggest turds ever crapped out by Chebby at their worst.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Four door automatic diesel Chevette. It's like a turd sandwich with turds for the bread and turds for the meat.

Someone should totally buy that. I love it.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 16, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Whoever buys it has to keep that awesome bambi basher / bicycle rack on the front.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Not typical AI since it appears basically finished, but it's an interesting car. It's a 325 with lots of M3 parts, plus an LSX ... and a Muncie 4 speed :wtf:

quote:

Up for sale is my red '87 BMW 325 IS. The car is in pretty good shape over all, but will need some mechanical work.(Suspension, Engine and electrical) The body is in good shape and the interior is all original, but its not great.
A new driveshaft has been installed and is working fine.
The car is not ready to be a daily driver as it stands. It is a project car. With a little money it will make a cool or daily or awesome turbo project.
I will post some pictures. Please respond with any questions.
The price is $1000. That's already low enough. I won't take any less.
:getin:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Not typical AI since it appears basically finished, but it's an interesting car. It's a 325 with lots of M3 parts, plus an LSX ... and a Muncie 4 speed :wtf:
Note: Not actually an LSX.

I got excited for a second there, but it's a "mere" L33.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Krakkles posted:

Note: Not actually an LSX.

I got excited for a second there, but it's a "mere" L33.

I've always read "LSX" to be where X = "insert number here," basically describing the family of engines. Have I been reading this wrong all along? :ohdear:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Larrymer posted:

I've always read "LSX" to be where X = "insert number here," basically describing the family of engines. Have I been reading this wrong all along? :ohdear:

In most situations that's probably what was meant. But there is an engine with a designation of LSX (which is crate only).

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, that's why I usually just stick with "LS series" or LSx if I'm not yapping about a specific engine.

Speaking of which, I still want an LQ4, LQ9, or L18. No loving idea what I'd put it in.

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006

kastein posted:

Speaking of which, I still want an LQ4, LQ9, or L18. No loving idea what I'd put it in.

Whatever you can.

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
ROADMASTER WAGON. I've been on the hunt for an lq4/lq9

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

kastein posted:

Yeah, that's why I usually just stick with "LS series" or LSx if I'm not yapping about a specific engine.

It was really hard not to buy my old service truck from my old boss when they retired the truck ('00 Chev 2500, LQ4/4L80E 2wd, non-HD so it's got the better looking 1/2 ton style grille/hood). But they also trashed the thing when they pulled the decals, toolboxes and compressor out so it was only worth it for the powertrain and I don't have space to do a teardown/store the engine. Pricks also discharged my fire extinguisher in the cab for shits and giggles so it's a horrible mess in there now.
I try to use the generational nomenclature and/or actual RPO code (GenIII LQ4 for example), or just say LS to refer to a genIII/IV in general.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Where are you? Because up here in central mass I could get one every 2-3 weeks for 320 bucks each if I felt like pulling them, I just don't know what I would put them in and don't feel like doing it for the money I would make selling them. Other parts have better profit margins and weigh less.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I'm in Alberta. Those engines are pretty common here too, but this would have had the advantage of being a familiar and known good engine and they only wanted scrap value for the whole truck. Something like 200 bucks.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

WTF how are you guys getting that cheap? How cheap could you get the aluminum block versions?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Coredump posted:

WTF how are you guys getting that cheap? How cheap could you get the aluminum block versions?

The LQ4 is a million mile engine installed in a quarter million mile truck. Fleets (sometimes literally) drive the doors off them and they hit the junkyards rather quickly, and I'm starting to see lots of half-tons and Suburbans in the yards as well. I've only seen one aluminum gen 3 in a yard and it got pinched pretty quick.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
http://fayar.craigslist.org/cto/4426441162.html

Crush it.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Pham Nuwen posted:

NO SCAMMERS!!!!!!11

I actually put a reference to 'no western union, no pre-pays, no international, etc' type of things and it really does cut down the number of scam emails I get.

Elephanthead posted:

What type of women join a small engine repair shops wet t-shirt contest? I am not sure I want to see this can someone do an artists estimation picture?

I knew a girl that did this "professionally". She was a "car model" and would travel to low-rent car shows and events and lean on cars wearing whatever they wanted her to wear. While driving about Texas she would also do wet t-shirt contests. It seems she made very good money doing this.

At the wet t-shirt contests all the "local" girls would be totally outclassed by the one or two strippers/car-models that would show up who would do what it would take to win.

Last I heard, she had found and even more lucrative way to flaunt her body: Medical sales representative.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Hey, that's a time capsule from the late 90s, a lot invested in colored hoses!

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

How do you include car titles in search? I want to filter out rebuilt, but I don't know how :(.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Grimes posted:

How do you include car titles in search? I want to filter out rebuilt, but I don't know how :(.

Try -rebuilt

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

PCOS Bill posted:

Try -rebuilt

You'll miss every result that has a rebuilt engine or other part. Also I think "salvage" is more commonly used for rebuilt (salvage) titles.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Tai-Pan posted:

I actually put a reference to 'no western union, no pre-pays, no international, etc' type of things and it really does cut down the number of scam emails I get.

I knew a girl that did this "professionally". She was a "car model" and would travel to low-rent car shows and events and lean on cars wearing whatever they wanted her to wear. While driving about Texas she would also do wet t-shirt contests. It seems she made very good money doing this.

At the wet t-shirt contests all the "local" girls would be totally outclassed by the one or two strippers/car-models that would show up who would do what it would take to win.

Last I heard, she had found and even more lucrative way to flaunt her body: Medical sales representative.

Medical/pharm reps seem to draw that crowd. Look attractive, shower people with gifts, get paid. All of the ones I've met have been female with the exception of one guy. He had a condo downtown he'd let doctors/clients use, full bar, etc. Definitely played the "bro" card with all the male doctors, and was making hand over fist from what I understood. Every so often the rep would invite the spouses to dinners & you knew you were in for a full meal and all you can drink. Best part is I was just along as a spouse so I didn't even have to hear a spiel about whatever new drug they were hawking.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
And people wonder why America spends like twice as much per capita on healthcare as every other OCED country

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

PCOS Bill posted:

Try -rebuilt
Doesn't work for the title section. I thought maybe there was a special way of doing it, but maybe craigslist doesn't let you.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Grimes posted:

Craigslist doesn't do Boolean searching. You can get around that by using an RSS reader that has Boolean searching. Google Reader had it, that's gone. I don't know what the best option is now.

Also, I got my RSS feeds via Crazedlist, which is also gone. So basically the tools I used to use to do the kind of search you want don't exist anymore; but the principle is still sound.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

VideoTapir posted:

Craigslist doesn't do Boolean searching. You can get around that by using an RSS reader that has Boolean searching. Google Reader had it, that's gone. I don't know what the best option is now.

Also, I got my RSS feeds via Crazedlist, which is also gone. So basically the tools I used to use to do the kind of search you want don't exist anymore; but the principle is still sound.

I use The Old Reader. It's sort of like Google Reader, maybe not as good, but it's the best replacement I could find.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

VideoTapir posted:

Umm, yes it do. I just did a search where I united two search terms with a pipe character "|" and I know the minus works as well. Fo sho.

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

I don't have an issue with the actual search power of Craigslist, but rather the fact that it doesn't search the stuff I want it to. I mean, in this ad: http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/4477808579.html

It shows [title: clean] in a little box, but the search doesn't interact with that data at all. If I put -rebuilt, it won't actually filter out anything that has [title: rebuilt]. Thanks for the info on RSS; maybe that's a good option.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Here's an idea that's probably not quite as bad as the $5000 S600, but still bad nonetheless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XLyCDsKhGo

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Coredump posted:

Umm, yes it do. I just did a search where I united two search terms with a pipe character "|" and I know the minus works as well. Fo sho.

Well poo poo, that's new. 'Bout drat time.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

atomicthumbs posted:

Here's an idea that's probably not quite as bad as the $5000 S600, but still bad nonetheless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XLyCDsKhGo

I'm actually going to go look at a 300ZX this morning:

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/4475468878.html

driguy
Feb 16, 2009

In The Pit!

atomicthumbs posted:

I've always really liked that body style Z. I first saw them in Japan and have wanted one ever since.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Oh snap.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/4427167465.html

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'm actually going to go look at a 300ZX this morning:

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/4475468878.html

Had some uneven tire wear and front bumper had some suspicious cracks. Seemed like it drove straight on the road but I'm having a shop do a thorough inspection tomorrow morning to see if there's anything actually major with it or what. Fortunately the dude's flexible on price.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

driguy posted:

I've always really liked that body style Z. I first saw them in Japan and have wanted one ever since.

It's cool over in Japan that you could buy them right up until 2000-2001 or so.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Had some uneven tire wear and front bumper had some suspicious cracks. Seemed like it drove straight on the road but I'm having a shop do a thorough inspection tomorrow morning to see if there's anything actually major with it or what. Fortunately the dude's flexible on price.

If it's good then I'd go for it. I personally have never seen a LHD Z32 with a hardtop roof, only RHD.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Crossposted because although it was relevant to the discussion, it's certainly not terrible car stuff:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4473891597.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

VideoTapir posted:

Craigslist doesn't do Boolean searching.
I search for "cherokee -grand" all the time to find just XJ parts, although I still get idiots that post their Grand Cherokees and Grand Cherokee parts as base Cherokee.