Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

690 has had a trellis for ages and the engine hasn't changed, except for bore/stroke in the latest 690CC variant. Whats wrong with a trellis?

They make skid plates just like they do for every dirt bike/motard.

I've watched Gullous jump his 690 and case it, wheelie it into trees, crash at hilarious speeds off road... they are tough. KTM used that chassis to win the Dakar how many times? Theyre up to 11 or 12 wins in a row now. Until Dakar banned it, the 690 engine was running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/mcy/4464296793.html

Hrm maybe I should buy that. 08 SMC for 5.2k with 11k miles.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Spiffness posted:

690 has had a trellis for ages and the engine hasn't changed, except for bore/stroke in the latest 690CC variant. Whats wrong with a trellis?

They make skid plates just like they do for every dirt bike/motard.

I've watched Gullous jump his 690 and case it, wheelie it into trees, crash at hilarious speeds off road... they are tough. KTM used that chassis to win the Dakar how many times? Theyre up to 11 or 12 wins in a row now. Until Dakar banned it, the 690 engine was running.

You're right, I'm just being stupid. TBH I'm just jealous and can't afford a 690 until I get a real engineering job.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Yerok posted:

You're right, I'm just being stupid. TBH I'm just jealous and can't afford a 690 until I get a real engineering job.

I don't know your being sarcastic but I really wasn't insulting your intelligence. I had some questions about its durability until I saw how Gullous rides his.

I came to the same conclusion that trellis doesn't mean scary myself.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Z3n posted:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/mcy/4464296793.html

Hrm maybe I should buy that. 08 SMC for 5.2k with 11k miles.
drat you Z3n!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Seriously, people just don't look hard enough. Even with 500 bucks to ship it anywhere in the US via UShip, that's still a good deal.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Aaaand, its gone! Its a KTM 690 though, so expect it back on CL within the day.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The hardest part of 690 ownership is getting into the resale ecosystem.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Z3n posted:

Seriously, people just don't look hard enough. Even with 500 bucks to ship it anywhere in the US via UShip, that's still a good deal.

Yeah but then you have the sketchiness and hassle of buying a bike you've never even looked at from someone 1kmi away that you never met.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah so like I figured the 690 SMC is the best bet if you have the cash. DRZ is more ideal for pure city riding.

My 690 SM was real smooth on the highway. Apparently the seating position and suspension isn't as aggressive as the SMC so it's a better highway ride all around. About a year or two ago I'd see 690 SMCs for 5-6k with high miles. But now that KTM stopped selling them it seems the price has jumped :(

7-8k+ is the minimum around here. That 5.2k one you linked is ridiculously cheap! (post deleted, haha)

No one seems to care about the duke at all. I don't think I've ever seen one on the road. Seems like a pretty fun bike. Sometimes they show up on craigslist with really good deals.

I know the 2007+ KTMs improved reliability quite a bit. I really doubt that'd be a concern these days. That LC4 is loving bulletproof.

I think I'll eventually get a 690 SMC in the future.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Spiffness posted:

I don't know your being sarcastic but I really wasn't insulting your intelligence. I had some questions about its durability until I saw how Gullous rides his.

I came to the same conclusion that trellis doesn't mean scary myself.

I'm 100% serious. It is also nice to hear testimonials about the ability of the 690 to slam into a tree.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
The frame is actually a good deal more expensive to replace than the engine casings on the SMC, labour notwithstanding. A damaged frame would pretty much mean an automatic write-off here so I'm glad it's not hanging out there. Additionally If you have a solid metal bash plate on it will throw all the force into the (easily replaced) alloy engine hangers.

It's a seriously well engineered bike.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I'm never sure I have the right chain slack after buying a sumo. The swingarm flexes so much that, when I'm off, it looks loose, and when I'm on, it looks tight. I generally try to find a spot in the middle but :confused:

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

epalm posted:

I'm never sure I have the right chain slack after buying a sumo. The swingarm flexes so much that, when I'm off, it looks loose, and when I'm on, it looks tight. I generally try to find a spot in the middle but :confused:

I just had to adjust mine almost a week ago. I think the spec for a DRZ was 1.5-2" without anyone on it, if that helps.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Got the MCCT for my DRZ in the mail. I've seen a tutorial here and a video there.

1) Do I really need to knock the top off and rotate to TDC?
2) Do I really need to remove the exhaust pipe?

I'll do it if it needs doing, but does it need doing?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Hey in case y'all are interested--and who isn't--there's a rather nice 690 SMC in Cali and not only is it a 2009, but it also has only 4,200 miles. AND it's just under 7 large. If I had a spare 8 grand I would be so on top of this fly and ride.

Cycle Trader

e: does not have the boss orange wheels, sorry

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

epalm posted:

Got the MCCT for my DRZ in the mail. I've seen a tutorial here and a video there.

1: yes. You want the piston and valves to be at the top of the compression stroke so the valve springs are fully extended ideally, otherwise you want the cam gears in a known position so if the chain jumps a tooth while you have the tensioner off you notice before piston meets valves. You might be able to get away with using an inspection camera through the spark plug hole.

2: probably not. I think that's just an ease of access thing.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

captainOrbital posted:

Hey in case y'all are interested--and who isn't--there's a rather nice 690 SMC in Cali and not only is it a 2009, but it also has only 4,200 miles. AND it's just under 7 large. If I had a spare 8 grand I would be so on top of this fly and ride.

Cycle Trader

e: does not have the boss orange wheels, sorry

:eyepop:

I dig the paint scheme

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, it looks good with more black and less orange

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

epalm posted:

When is the last time you checked your valve clearances? I waited until I checked the valves to install mine (your valves probably won't need adjustment but you should check them)

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

epalm posted:

Just leave the bike in gear, don't move it and then swap them out. I've done it on at least four separate bikes before without making sure it's at TDC and it's always been fine. It's way more important in my opinion to make sure you don't over tighten it. Tighten it til the noise goes away and then back it off just a tad to make sure you're not putting undue pressure and strain on the guides.

I don't recall if I had to take the header off to do it but it's only a few bolts if that's the case.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
^ I can vouch for this nerd being able to install a MCCT without making bikes implode. That said all of the things you said only involve a few bolts anyways so it's not like any of that is a huge deal.

I should really get around to that whole valve checking thing, but it's kind of hard when you're working 60-80hr weeks. Thankfully it's just a DRZ and even at 11kmi it's probably just fine.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
The Rally Raid MCCT for the 690 said to drop the loving engine to put it in just because it's slightly obscured by the frame. On top of putting the bike at TDC, taking off the alternator cover and locking the crank with a bolt. I'm 100% sure all manufacturers of MCCTs say this poo poo just to cover their asses in case.

I just did it with a low profile socket on a universal joint and short extension bar :effort:

EDIT: BTW I wouldn't put the bike in gear, you're only going to gently caress it up if the crank rotates and somehow hops a tooth on the sprocket at either end while the chain is slack. If the bike is in neutral there is nothing to move the crank if you nudge the bike.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 16, 2014

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I don't see where it's going to go if it's in gear? This is honestly one of the simplest things you can do to a bike.. it's 5 seconds of unbolting and bolting in the new one. There's no need to move the bike at any point during this process.

Obviously I'm not advocating being a fool and jabbing at the starter while the CCT is out or rolling it all around your garage but just leave the bike sit there and change it and you'll have no problems.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I just pulled the old ACCT out, put the new MCCT in and set the tension per ThumperTalks recommendations. No TDC, no valve cover off, no bike in gear, nothing. Its not that big of a deal, just dont hit the starter while the tensioner is out.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
So, uh, any bad things about just getting a new Duke 690? Cause I went and looked and sat on them today, and kinda fell in love.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I've never ridden one but they seem highly underated. I don't think I've actually seen one on the streets. They look like tons of fun.

Not to mention a lot cheaper than the SMC used

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

iwentdoodie posted:

So, uh, any bad things about just getting a new Duke 690? Cause I went and looked and sat on them today, and kinda fell in love.

I did the same thing when I did the same thing.

They're so compact and pretty and just feel right. There's a couple of KTM ride events near Chicago coming up. Not that it matters because my KTM/Duc dealer keeps offering me test-rides every time I walk in as if they were a car dealer.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Who's your dealer? I can't go anywhere this weekend (I'm on call), but it might be fun to go ogle some bikes.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

iwentdoodie posted:

Its rad.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Safety Dance posted:

Who's your dealer? I can't go anywhere this weekend (I'm on call), but it might be fun to go ogle some bikes.

It's called MCC Motor Cycle Center: They're in Lake Villa or Villa Park or something, which is just on the other side of O'Hare from me, and since I live on la loma del culo, it's relatively close to me. You could take the Ike north to St. Charles and go west from there. I like the place; they sell KTM and Ducati, of course, and also Triumphs and MVs. Oh, and EBRs and I think Nortons? Their used selection is really interesting too. This weekend might suck for weather, but I might head over there at some point as well.

I usually talk to James. He's a cool guy, and has a short guy's perspective on bikes, which is nice to hear.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

captainOrbital posted:

I usually talk to James. He's a cool guy, and has a short guy's perspective on bikes, which is nice to hear.

When I was looking at the Duke today, the salesman was like 5'5, and I'm 6'-6'1. He was saying how tall it is, then looked sad when I drat near was flat foot with both feet.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Well drat, I'm not a tall dude, but I was able to flatfoot the Duke, if you know what I mean.

If it was a 1190 Adventure or something I could understand.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

captainOrbital posted:

Well drat, I'm not a tall dude, but I was able to flatfoot the Duke, if you know what I mean.

If it was a 1190 Adventure or something I could understand.

I can get balls of both feet down on the 1190. The Duke was flat and then all but my heels on the floor. With actual riding pants in instead of 501s it would've been flat.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

With actual riding pants in instead of 501s it would've been flat.

Have we started calling Levis by their style number now?

tjones
May 13, 2005

ChewedFood posted:

I'm not sure how everyone else calls them, but ever since we were kids we called them by whatever style number they were. Talking about stock Levi's regardless of style were always referred to as 501s as that was the most popular style.

Unless I completely missed something during that exchange.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

ChewedFood posted:

Yes? It's how you describe the jeans, because there's like 90 kinds.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
Oh, well maybe I'm the weird one.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

What's the best way to make sure aftermarket DRZ levers have the extra bit that hits the brake switch? Make sure it says that it fits the 400S/SM?

I just want some basic shorty levers. I have a set of Sunline ones but someone filed that nub off :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Deeters posted:

What's the best way to make sure aftermarket DRZ levers have the extra bit that hits the brake switch? Make sure it says that it fits the 400S/SM?

I just want some basic shorty levers. I have a set of Sunline ones but someone filed that nub off :v:

Not sure, but I bought some http://zeta-racing.com/lever/pivot_lever_cp/index.html
off of Baller Witness Bro a week ago and they fit perfectly. Only thing I had to reuse was the spring on the brake lever.

• Locked thread