Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Nintendo is notoriously unpopular in NZ, they probably figure it's not worth the effort.
I'd hazard a guess that their complete lack of effort on having much presence there at all is partly to blame. It's not something that's going to improve on there end if they don't make the effort first. And reduce the prices of there products to something vaguely decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

There's less people in the country of New Zealand than there are people in the city I live in. I don't blame them for not caring.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yo UK dudes, 8GB console with NSMBU and some other stuff for £112:

http://www.johnlewis.com/nintendo-wii-u-8gb-basic-pack-with-new-super-mario-bros-u-mario-mascot-and-8gb-sd-card-white/p231817620

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

And is already out of stock. Looks like people jumped right on that one.

limpet
Jul 12, 2005

Dapper doggy.

Astro Nut posted:

And is already out of stock. Looks like people jumped right on that one.

All the orders have now been cancelled. I threw away my £199 Tesco pre-order for that as well.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Rakuten has brand new Deluxe Wii U packages with Nintendo Land and Lego City Undercover for $249.99

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Aw geez I'm really tempted by this.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-05-16-video-mario-kart-8s-mktv-and-replays-revealed

Eurogamer did a video on MKTV and it's a lot more involved than I thought. Key points are you can upload a 30/45/60 second highlight reel or the full race to both the MKTV site and Youtube, and the last 6 races are stored automatically so you don't have to stall a cup to edit a great race to upload. Also you can set 4 racers to follow, so you can have a 4-player multiplayer race and track everyone. It's looking like a pretty comprehensive feature.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Man that sounds rad. I hope Smash 4 Wii U has that feature, too - it'd be a natural extension of the "replay" input-tracking Brawl had.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

Man that sounds rad. I hope Smash 4 Wii U has that feature, too - it'd be a natural extension of the "replay" input-tracking Brawl had.

I hope it doesn't have the completely arbitrary 3 minute time limit, which I think was possible to mod to allow any length of time. It'd be great for those of us who prefer stock over timed matches.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

greatn posted:

Nintendo is way into Jazz this generation.

Nintendo's always been way into Jazz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyCA2ShhRu0

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

That loving Sned posted:

I hope it doesn't have the completely arbitrary 3 minute time limit, which I think was possible to mod to allow any length of time. It'd be great for those of us who prefer stock over timed matches.

Yeah homebrew got around that limit and also enabled complete camera movement.

All my Brawl replays with my friends are "Oh my god did that just happen? QUICK ABORT THE MATCH MAYBE WE CAN GET A REPLAY"

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

That's ragtime.

:colbert:

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BexVyL45DY8

Looper fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 17, 2014

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Nintendo's musical competence is something that keeps me onboard through poo poo like the Wii U library. They are really good at their little details.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CHeElGXCew

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer
Everyone loves a good E3 rumor/leak. Take with as many grains of salt as you'd like.

http://i.imgur.com/mMp2YtM.jpg

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Looper posted:

That's ragtime.

:colbert:

Ragtime is early Jazz and your link is clearly Fusion. :smugbert:

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Rack posted:

Everyone loves a good E3 rumor/leak. Take with as many grains of salt as you'd like.

Weirdly enough, what feels like the biggest alarm bell to me is the idea that they would put out a slate of classic Gamecube games.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It seems more likely that they'd talk about the DS Virtual Console they announced a while back instead.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Supercar Gautier posted:

Weirdly enough, what feels like the biggest alarm bell to me is the idea that they would put out a slate of classic Gamecube games.

Agreed. Doesn't Sunshine require analog triggers which the Wii U doesn't have?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yep. When I first got my hands on a Wii U GamePad at NYCC 2012, I was crestfallen by the absence of GameCube Triggers on the thing. I still am.

Goddammit I love GameCube triggers.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Rack posted:

Pretty easy to logic this one out when you consider the event is DIGITAL.

These E3 hoaxes are really easy because they all list 99% known information and can't account for complete surprises, so they resort to the pipe dream. Of course a fan-made E3 sheet wouldn't include something like, say, a brand new IP for 3DS eShop, because they don't think of that, so they put STAR FOX on there instead.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yeah, F-Zero GX is pretty dependent on them as well.

On one hand, I do think the right way to do Gamecube re-releases would involve modifying the games somewhat-- rendering at a higher resolution, adjusting for widescreen, changing the control displays to reflect the Wii U layout and whatnot. But some games would be unavoidably tricky for working around the digital trigger limitation.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There is no loving way Fire Emblem x SMT is going from "barely announced" to "out in 2 months", not even for Nintendo.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

Pretty easy to logic this one out when you consider the event is DIGITAL.

These E3 hoaxes are really easy because they all list 99% known information and can't account for complete surprises, so they resort to the pipe dream. Of course a fan-made E3 sheet wouldn't include something like, say, a brand new IP for 3DS eShop, because they don't think of that, so they put STAR FOX on there instead.

Odds of Nintendo repping Shovel Knight?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
If that's fake (which is likely is) whoever faked it is the most boring person alive. Could troll people with anything and they just sort of settle for Star Fox, Metroid, Zelda, Gamecube games and slightly early release dates.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Shovel Knight and a bunch more indie games were on the release schedule they put out with the latest investors' briefing, so, pretty good!

They usually just show a big sizzler reel, though, rather than focusing on individual games.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Has an E3 leak list ever actually been real?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

There is no loving way Fire Emblem x SMT is going from "barely announced" to "out in 2 months", not even for Nintendo.

If it were just Nintendo I'd say ehh, after all stuff like NES Remix was announced day of, right? But its not, its also Atlus and Atlus cares. Also FE is an established franchise with dedicated fans, not even Nintendo would be dumb enough to do a launch like that.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Shovel Knight went gold so it might be out before E3, the Yacht Club guys haven't exactly said when it will be out because it's out of their hands now.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
E3 rumours just get kind of samey after a while.

Information everyone already knows + information that people want to be true = E3 rumour

Every so often there will be an off the wall suggestion, but it's always something interesting. No-one ever predicts new things that would get a mixed, poor or ambivalent reaction, despite E3 being full of those announcements.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm sure there were plenty of hoax sheets in 2008 for an F-Zero Wii game but probably not many that listed Women's Murder Club for DS.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Starfox x Metroid ticked all the boxes.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

In 2009, NSMB Wii was revealed a day before the conference due to semi-shear sheets.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
Before we knew the name of Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, someone found a website that already had the official logo uploaded to its servers so we found the name of the game before we were supposed to know it.

Not an e3 leak, but someone got access to a dev/debug mode in the Wii-U and found a list of "supposedly in the works" games that turned out to be a real list. It had a new Yoshi game listed that hadn't been announced yet.

So, actual leaks do happen, but with Nintendo it is almost never.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I think the bigger sign is that the leaks, while they do happen, are never from these low-effort pieces of paper that always crop up.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Just want to remind you that Wonderful 101 is still awesome. I'm finally up to Silver on Operation 003-1! Yaaaaaay ow my fingers

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Supercar Gautier posted:

Yeah, F-Zero GX is pretty dependent on them as well.

On one hand, I do think the right way to do Gamecube re-releases would involve modifying the games somewhat-- rendering at a higher resolution, adjusting for widescreen, changing the control displays to reflect the Wii U layout and whatnot. But some games would be unavoidably tricky for working around the digital trigger limitation.

For the sake of argument, though it's pretty likely they're fake, Nintendo could theoretically pump out some new Wavebird version just for Gamecube games. Well and probably for Smash Bros.

Really though, it's pretty much likely to be fake because X and "New Zelda" are unnamed. Star Fox U would be marked as a tentative title, but X and "New Zelda" should be deep enough into development that they'd be trotted out with their actual title.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 18, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Chieves posted:

I think the bigger sign is that the leaks, while they do happen, are never from these low-effort pieces of paper that always crop up.
You just have to logic it out. Why would a digital-only stream involve a piece of paper with details being handed to anyone. Who would it be handed to? If there's any kind of pre-production notes for a Nintendo Direct, they would certainly not look like that.

There's a good chance that E3 info is on a need to know basis IN-HOUSE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...

Help Im Alive posted:

I seem to recall Retro developing a revival of Donkey Kong Country, announced at E3 2010, was leaked. I forget if anything else was, but it certainly wasn't the big list type of rumor, because I'm pretty sure I would've remembered if someone predicted that Masahiro Sakurai was working on a new loving Kid Icarus game.

• Locked thread