Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Bob NewSCART posted:

Do I need to put points into attunement for slots to cast miracles or? How does that work?

Of course you do. They're spells, just like sorcery and hexes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bob NewSCART posted:

Do I need to put points into attunement for slots to cast miracles or? How does that work?

Yes, or use the Northern Ritual Band to gain bonus attunement slots.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

King of Solomon posted:

Only because he doesn't look enough like Garl Vinland. :colbert:

Yeah pandering is what I usually like in my video games.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
This game is either too much like its forebears or not enough like its forebears.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

poptart_fairy posted:

This game is either too much like its forebears or not enough like its forebears.

Too many half measures for me personally, but again.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

I know it's been said before in this thread, but whoever decided to make duels in the Blue Sentinels arena cost Tokens of Fidelity was an rear end in a top hat. I like helping people kill bosses, but getting to max rank takes 500 victories, even assuming I win a lot more than I lose, that's a ridiculous amount of tokens used.

Yes, I know that killing invaders counts toward your rank total, but I've been summoned once in the last 12 hours.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I just got myself summoned several times in the Undead Crypt just to ring the bell right before Velstadt's room and black crystal out. A bloodbro's work is never done.

FauxGateau posted:

Including armor sets from old games is good pandering.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

Where are those pants from?

I believe those are Pate's pants.

poptart_fairy posted:

Comparing anything to the mace is going to end in heartbreak. :v:

Not true at all. Not sure why he'd not getting considerably more crit damage out of the dagger, because it is undeniably better at that than the mace.

FauxGateau posted:

Stop playing From games then, they recycle poo poo all the time.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
From what I understand even a bunch of stuff you might think is unique to Demon's/Dark Souls is likely just a reference to King's Field :v:

I don't mind From recycling stuff though because it doesn't feel like they do it because they aren't creative. I think they do it just because they like to approach an idea more than once and try different things with it. I mean, compare the VoD/Blighttown/Gutters. All 3 areas are toxic hell holes but they are all still pretty unique. They draw on old stuff to do more with it, not just rehash it. I guess that doesn't really apply to armour but come on, including some old armour designs is just fun.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Seriously, in the console thread people were pointing out that DSII is pretty much a scene for scene remake of one of the Kings Field games.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

My biggest problem is that it feels too much like the last two Souls games while even at its best never really achieving the heights those games did for me (granted, it doesn't hit the lows, either). It's improved in a lot of ways, worse in others. It feels more like a lateral shift than an evolution.

I hope Project Beast is loving amazing.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Cardboard Box posted:

My biggest problem is that it feels too much like the last two Souls games while even at its best never really achieving the heights those games did for me (granted, it doesn't hit the lows, either). It's improved in a lot of ways, worse in others. It feels more like a lateral shift than an evolution.

I enjoy Dark Souls II quite a bit but this seems to sum it up for me. I found it very even in terms of quality for the most part, even annoying as Shrine of Anime could be it wasn't really that bad. There's nothing truly memorable for me like Ash Lake, the Maiden Astraea/Garl Vinland fight, etc. But then again there's no Lost Izalith, 5-2, etc either.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Where are those pants from?

They're just Benhart's boots beneath the Throne Watcher's chestpiece. Like I said earlier, Benhart's boots are really simple but cool looking.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

So, I've got me a +10 flame glove, and three attunement slots. I've fallen in love with flame swathe for massive gotcha explosions, great combustion for a nice strong burst attack, and chaos storm for instantly nuking giant PvE enemies that eat all the pillars at once.

The original plan was that once I got my intelligence high enough that I would switch over to using sorcery instead of pyromancy, but those three spells are powerful and useful without the stat investment. I've gotten my int to 33 so far, so (Crystal) Soul spear, soul vortex, and soul geyser are still out of my reach, will they change my mind?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Vortex is slow slow slow.

Does anyone know which enemies have unique magic?

I know Navlaan does, who else has an NPC spell? Human enemies only.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

My biggest hope as the Souls series goes on is that they incorporate more reasons to create new characters. So much of the fun in the game, for me, is going through it the first time, and so far I haven't found the covenants to be well developed enough to really care about spending time on them. I don't really have a motivation to make a new character because I could just shift my current dude's stats around.

What I'd really love is the possibility of unlocking stuff during a playthrough that gives you additional options during a subsequent character creation. Like, beating the game lets you make a character with some special ability, or you can make a guy who's all gimpy but you get some special reward for beating the game with him. I just think there's so much potential for replayability (and I know a lot of people in these threads do find them endlessly replayabable), but I think it hasn't been used very well.

My biggest disappointment was the covenants. The Ratbros and Bellbros are cool, but ultimately they didn't change the fact that covenants are too pointless and tedious. They could totally tie in real content or story to the covenant ranks, but it's like they're stuck in a place where they don't fully trust the system so the whole thing just seems tacked on and insignificant.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Flytrap posted:

Fashion Souls also involves making yourself look so ridiculous that your opponent spends a minute figuring out what the gently caress he's looking at. :colbert:
Also so that people summon you in because you look awesome rather than being dude-with-spear-123.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Martman posted:

My biggest disappointment was the covenants. The Ratbros and Bellbros are cool, but ultimately they didn't change the fact that covenants are too pointless and tedious. They could totally tie in real content or story to the covenant ranks, but it's like they're stuck in a place where they don't fully trust the system so the whole thing just seems tacked on and insignificant.

What, there's not enough story with the DARKY DARK OF DARKNESS IN THE DARK DARK covenant for you? Also dark.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Also so that people summon you in because you look awesome rather than being dude-with-spear-123.

It's true. My Simon Belmont character gets quite a few more summons than I'd expect.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

Where are they, I'm only up to Earthen Peak.

Oh I'm going off the assumption that everyone knows what every enemy is, if you don't feel like trudging to different areas, what you can do is spend 16k souls at the armorer dude, then talk to him with 0 souls, and he'll give you all but invisible gloves if you want to go that route.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Tracula posted:

What, there's not enough story with the DARKY DARK OF DARKNESS IN THE DARK DARK covenant for you? Also dark.
Yeah I kinda spaced on that... that's certainly my favorite covenant in the game. I think I forgot it because it's so completely different from the others. There was still a problem with the reward not really feeling significant, but I hope more covenants are more along those lines in the next games.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

So, I've got me a +10 flame glove, and three attunement slots. I've fallen in love with flame swathe for massive gotcha explosions, great combustion for a nice strong burst attack, and chaos storm for instantly nuking giant PvE enemies that eat all the pillars at once.

The original plan was that once I got my intelligence high enough that I would switch over to using sorcery instead of pyromancy, but those three spells are powerful and useful without the stat investment. I've gotten my int to 33 so far, so (Crystal) Soul spear, soul vortex, and soul geyser are still out of my reach, will they change my mind?

Not really. CSS hits about as hard as flame swathe if you have the best staff but only has one cast and no real area effect. Soul Geyser only really works on bosses and really big dudes but does about twice as much damage if it all hits. Soul Greatsword is the one true sorcery but there's only one copy per run in a metal chest.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Colapops posted:

They're just Benhart's boots beneath the Throne Watcher's chestpiece. Like I said earlier, Benhart's boots are really simple but cool looking.

Cale's Boots are also really cool and simple looking. They have a weird texture that makes them look almost drawn. Sorry I couldn't get a better shot of them.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

sushibandit posted:

Fashion Souls? Fashion Souls!

I have vowed to myself ever since importing the Asian Region Demon's Souls to play the cover ((Elite)Knight) character, forevermore. I just love struggling through everything with a mediocre character that sunbros will love seeing.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Control Volume posted:

Oh I'm going off the assumption that everyone knows what every enemy is

Yeah I only started playing earlier this week so while I don't really care at all about spoilers (if I did I wouldn't follow this thread) I still don't know a huge amount about the parts of the game I haven't seen yet.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Man, you know what? gently caress all this fancy fast dodging bullshit, it's time to see how far a poo poo-ton of health, a big weapon, and a load of armor can take me. Fat-rolling still has frames and I aim to see how many!

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Flytrap posted:

Man, you know what? gently caress all this fancy fast dodging bullshit, it's time to see how far a poo poo-ton of health, a big weapon, and a load of armor can take me. Fat-rolling still has frames and I aim to see how many!

Rest in peace.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Flytrap posted:

heavy armor isn't gonna get you much farther, at least in PvE. I've compared both the absolute heaviest and lightest armors and the differences when hit were marginal. It's better going light.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Don't care, heavy armor looks cooler. :colbert:

(also with the new system i'll be fast rolling eventually anyway)

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Here's my 3 complaints about the Sacred Chime Hammer:

1. I wish you could actually cast hexes with it, maybe it could act like the blue flame and it would be a decent chime but when it has Dark/Resonant Weapon on it it could become great.

2. I wish you could do the self-buff thing Velstadt can do, similar to the throne defender/watcher's 2-handed L2. But that would mean the hammer would have two special moves, so that's probably too much.

3. I wish it would ring when you do attacks, or at least for its special move.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Armor may not be the greatest, but full Ironclad let me go through quite a lot while playing like a total jackass. Pairing it with the Life Ring +2 helped. Spent a while with the fatroll too, you just have to be careful about where you position yourself.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
You know I have to admit after thinking on it I'm a little frustrated with the new agility system. There's something I kind of like about it, since I always like a stat that makes me more mobile, but the problem I think is that it really doesn't do anything to boost your evasive abilities, at least not relative to the rest of the series. It just makes you worse at the start so you need to invest points to get as good at dodging as you were from the beginning of DS1 (so long as you kept your equip weight low). I don't mind starting worse, but I'd like to end up with a roll better than the first game's instead of investing points to have as many iframes as a DS1 fast roll. Even if I could get up to DWGR levels with a reasonable stat investment I'd feel better about it, but 115 agility requires so much adp/att it leaves no room for anything else unless you're building a SL200+ "I'm going to max absolutely everything because technically I can" character, which I'm trying to avoid since I like to have a little bit of specialization in my build.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 03:18 on May 18, 2014

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Opposing Farce posted:

You know I have to admit Imm a little frustrated with the new agility system.

I feel a little the same way, I just get ADP to 20 asap, and then forget all about it. It's not a dump stat, but it is pretty useless in a way. I guess FROM looked at the way a lot of players cheesed big strikes in DS/DeS and decided to make iframes something you had to stat for.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
It feels like a feat tax really.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I feel a little the same way, I just get ADP to 20 asap, and then forget all about it. It's not a dump stat, but it is pretty useless in a way. I guess FROM looked at the way a lot of players cheesed big strikes in DS/DeS and decided to make iframes something you had to stat for.

I think it was also meant to make Resistance a stronger stat.

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

Cardboard Box posted:

heavy armor isn't gonna get you much farther, at least in PvE. I've compared both the absolute heaviest and lightest armors and the differences when hit were marginal. It's better going light.

What is up with this? I mean I guess they don't want you to steamroll your way through ng+ and onwards with upgraded Havels but it's weird how armor feels helpful to an extent and then anything more than that doesn't do anything in PvE.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Geez, I've been using the bandit axe for a while now and this thing absolutely trashes bosses when fully upgraded, on top of being great outside of that due to its wide swings. I haven't taken it into Drangleic Castle yet, but it's making a joke out of all the lord souls bosses and everything in between.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

y_3 posted:

What is up with this? I mean I guess they don't want you to steamroll your way through ng+ and onwards with upgraded Havels but it's weird how armor feels helpful to an extent and then anything more than that doesn't do anything in PvE.

I dunno, it's kinda always been that way in these games to a degree, but I've noticed it in this one more than others.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm using a bandit axe on my CoC character and getting my poo poo wrecked :saddowns:

Granted its only +2 since I lack titanite but gently caress I died like 10 times in the baskilisk zombie ambush room before figuring out a way to cheese it. I don't feel its the axe's fault, but I'm still gonna ditch it as soon as I get my grym axe. I just need to get to Door of Pharos without getting stomped even more.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cardboard Box posted:

I dunno, it's kinda always been that way in these games to a degree, but I've noticed it in this one more than others.

My guess is that it's simply not as impactful because of the introduction of extra healing. In DS1, you could make an argument for heavier armor because healing was restricted to Estus and a few miracles, but regular enemy hits can be sopped up quite easily with Lifegems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm using a bandit axe on my CoC character and getting my poo poo wrecked :saddowns:

Granted its only +2 since I lack titanite but gently caress I died like 10 times in the baskilisk zombie ambush room before figuring out a way to cheese it. I don't feel its the axe's fault, but I'm still gonna ditch it as soon as I get my grym axe. I just need to get to Door of Pharos without getting stomped even more.

+2 anything is going to get you stomped, man.