Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

quote:

We thought we were the free market people!

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Mentos Dan posted:

Dude's linkedin is amazing:

"Delegated authority appropriately when necessary to qualified, passionate, and brilliant people."

Seriously, look at that loving sentence. You could write that about literally any job ever, it's a totally meaningless statement about how you asked people to do things. If you ever come back go visit the Resume thread. :rant:

And then E/N. Spend lots of time in E/N.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

The Boyko posted:

Am I the only geek in the world who (in the words of the late Roger Ebert,) Hated, Hated, Hated, Hated, Hated that show?

I realized that the biggest fantasy about the whole thing is that it’s a society where power is proportional to stupidity. You have an entire society of people whose main characteristic is that they have lofty ambitions and poor impulse control. Of COURSE they’re going to screw things up for themselves and others. But I guess I’m just one of those guys who CAN look away from a trainwreck – especially when the whole point is to see how characters decide to aim the train instead of diverting it safely onto another track. Really – the only thing that could get me to watch Game of Thrones right now is if Ash Williams shows up, yells “Listen up, you primitive screwheads, this is my BOOMSTICK,” then proceeds to institute a constitutional democracy.

what game of thrones is missing is constitutional democracy

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Mo_Steel posted:

"Delegated authority appropriately when necessary to qualified, passionate, and brilliant people."

"I avoided doing any work by pushing it onto grunts, where possible."

Jagchosis posted:

what game of thrones is missing is constitutional democracy

"Why the gently caress does this show in a magic-based medieval world not have a parliamentary democracy/republic? :mad:"

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Jagchosis posted:

yes brian, we are a loving and welcoming family here at somethingisawful, please come back. as a gesture of good will i have made you your very own ponytar!

How did I miss this :allears:

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Well, then, I can only imagine the context of that comment... :magical:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ThirdPartyView posted:

Brian Boyko: Democrat. Brony. Nullo. Any questions?

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

ThirdPartyView posted:

hmm maybe i should put his posts in context more

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Jagchosis posted:

I'm not sure what to say anymore.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
His message to the the troops during the challenging creation of the site.

http://mayoneus.tumblr.com/video_file/84550349933/tumblr_n4yt46oX6Y1taedaf

I am worried that his eyes seem to be retreating into his skull.

Followed by this:

http://mayoneus.tumblr.com/image/84593828178

And finally...

quote:

What has happened so far with the health
I have high blood pressure - runs in my family. I take medication to handle it, but very stressful days - like the past two weeks, yesterday, and this morning, can cause it to spike.
There is no doubt in my mind the stress is worth it, but you knew that.
Suspecting my blood pressure was “a little elevated” I tested it at the supermarket. It showed that I had high stage II hypertension. The pharmacist told me to call my doctor. My doctor told me to call urgent care. Urgent care told me to go to the emergency room. So did Prof. Lessig.
And mostly, it was just waiting, lying down, in a dark room. For about eight hours, while I pretty much just waited.

The only reason I could relax is because you guys were so awesome and able to help pull things together when I couldn’t be there.
I’m going to get some rest now. Tonight Aaron Lifshin is handling the site migration; and there are some clever people thinking of even cleverer solutions than I could have alone. In a way, this was a HUGE blessing in disguise because it brought so many smart people together to the point where this site will run way better than I could have done alone.

— BB

I am worried about Brian.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 18, 2014

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Jagchosis posted:

when even bronies think you're a freak then you know it's all bad

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

MothraAttack posted:

You know on some level he believes there's a literal "pro-spanking lobby," and he's OK with it.

tbf there actually was/is in NZ, the context is that the Greens introduced a bill which would remove 'child discipline' as a defence against child-beating; which is nanny state as hell obviously !!!!

goatse.cx
Nov 21, 2013

Sogol posted:

His message to the the troops during the challenging creation of the site.

http://mayoneus.tumblr.com/video_file/84550349933/tumblr_n4yt46oX6Y1taedaf

I am worried that his eyes seem to be retreating into his skull.

Followed by this:

http://mayoneus.tumblr.com/image/84593828178

And finally...

I am worried about Brian.

Hahaha yes I'm sure your hypertension is caused by inheritance and not your morbid obesity

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

goatse.cx posted:

a bunch of really stupid bullshit

lmao he's a south park republican

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Loved it so much I bought the mug.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Mayor Dave posted:

lmao he's a south park republican

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

Don't do this.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
do this forever

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

OwlBot 2000 posted:

Don't do this.

Mayor Dave posted:

do this forever

sounds like opinion is split. maybe... maybe the truth is in the middle?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
brian why

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayday_PAC

quote:

References

^ Note: the official spelling is Mayday PAC according to its director Brian Boyko, although there have been instances when it was spelled with other variations such as May Day PAC, May Day Super PAC, MayDay PAC, and others; for further information, see discussion on the talk page.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

On SA he signs his posts.
On Wikipedia he doesn't.

Way to be wrong at everything.

Jingai Jigokumoto
Feb 8, 2013

by XyloJW

goatse.cx posted:

On paper, I think progressives - the rank and file at least - have better ideas about how to move the country forward than the rank-and-file conservatives. But what's interesting is that while I'm a progressive, almost no elected Democrats are actually working to solve the country's problems. (Granted, I feel almost no elected Republicans are either.)
I also have come to the realization that at the rank-and-file level, progressives and conservatives agree far more often than we think we do. And I'm on Reddit to test out this theory.
Progressives - at least from what I have experienced - tend to believe that they have good ideas and that conservatives' primary goals are to block those good ideas. I'm not so sure this is the case. I think that conservatives believe they have good ideas and that progressives' primary goals are to block those ideas as well.
But when I think about it, when I think: "What do Conservatives want?" I have to think to myself: Well, hell, I can't think of any progressive that would be opposed to 95% of that...
One of the big issues of conservatives is a balanced budget and lowered national debt. Heck, progressives want that too.
Conservatives want less governmental regulation in starting up small businesses, progressives wouldn't mind getting rid of some of the cruft if we made sure not to throw the baby out with the bathwater.
Conservatives want free markets, not crony capitalism... which is something that took me by surprise, because most progressives think that conservatives want crony capitalism, not free markets! We thought we were the free market people!
What if we both are?
And, on the other side, I don't think that conservatives necessarily want to block environmental regulation because they don't like the environment or they don't want clean air or preservation of wildlife. They just want to also make sure that they have jobs as well. I don't think conservatives are necessarily against solar power or alternative energy sources so long as they're cost effective. (And solar has a lot of military uses that conservatives love - getting batteries/fuel shipped in might give away the position of soldiers in the field, but being able to recharge electronics through solar can help keep them safe.)
I also think that conservatives are necessarily opposed to even basic social services - they just "are tired of paying for other people," as my Dad put it.
This is my theory: That if conservatives actually pointed out what they actually wanted - that progressives would have no opposition to 90% of it, and if progressives pointed out what they actually wanted, conservatives would have no objection to 90% of it.
That's the first part of the theory I want to test: In this thread, can you please point out what you feel you want?
But if I'm right... then why does it seem like we're 100% opposed to each other?
For that, I have a second part of the theory.
And that is that we're both being played for chumps.
See, I think that there are two problems: right now, money is very important to running for political office. 95% of house races were won by the candidate who spent the most money. And due to gerrymandering, (and both sides do it) and "natural" safe-seats, we don't have a very strong ability to hold elected officials accountable on either side of the aisle.
In short, this has created a strong incentive to keep the significant funders of campaigns happy. And those funders are not from a broad cross-section of America. There are only about 150,000 of them, or 0.05% of America - the special interests, corporate and union concerns that fund elections.
So neither of us are going to get the things we think this country needs, let alone what we want - if the funders can effectively use their influence to block reform. The same system of corruption that blocks reforms that the left wants also blocks reforms that the right wants.
When we ask why Washington is so screwed up, I think it's simply because the Legislature was designed (as stated in Federalist #52) to be "dependent upon the people alone." But members of congress are far more dependent upon the funders of their campaigns than on the people/the voters. This creates a mis-aligned incentive, where politicians have to do what's best for the funders first.
This is a "systemic corruption" - a corruption that can't be solved simply by replacing the people in power with someone of an opposing party.
To be sure, rank and file progressives don't like elected Republicans; but you'd be surprised how little the rank and file progressives like the Democrats as well. Look at Nancy Pelosi's extended interview on the Daily Show. She's completely oblivious to the fact that most progressives believe, rightly, that politicians are beholden to the money and not to the voter. And she believes that the Democratic Party isn't beholden to special interests the way that Republicans are! She clearly does not represent the progressives I know!
She doesn't get it, and she's never going to get it. And she was until recently our party leader in the legislature!
I think that Red and Blue have been fighting each other because we've been played one against the other by "green". That we have more in common with each other than we do with the deep-pocketed interests who wield undue influence over our elected officials in this country. That our political dysfunction is being bred because crony capitalists are feeding upon that dysfunction.
And I know that there are some great reformers on both sides of the aisle working towards it: Jim Ruebens (R Sen. Candidate, NH), Fmr. Gov. Buddy Roemer (R-Louisiana), but also Jeff Kurzon (D Cong. Candidate, NY)... and I think that we should find some sort of way to point out the real reformers on both sides of the aisle. I think that most progressives would vote for a Republican who seeks to reform the system over a Democrat who doesn't, and vice versa. We just need a way to identify them quickly - call 'em "mavericks" (like John McCain) or "rebels" or something. I'd vote for a "Rebel Republican" over a "Democrat" any day. Because while I might not agree with them on issues #2-#1000, the first issue is this systemic corruption. Until we fix that issue, we're not going anywhere.
I actually was talking to a friend of mine who actually works for the Democratic Party, and led with this line: "We will have more success advancing an agenda that progressives want in the medium to long term by supporting Republican candidates who work to end systemic corruption than by supporting Democratic candidates who do not." He was flabbergasted by this statement (which stood against everything he "knew" to be "true" in politics), but after convincing him of the need for real reform in how our candidates raise money to run for office, he ended up agreeing with me.
Cause that's really what's blocking both of us. We can't get what either of us want until we start addressing this problem.
We can argue about what form reform can take later, but I believe that we need to first agree that we need reform.
I'd like to start what I'd like to call a "cross-partisan" movement. Not bi-partisan, because we don't agree on anything else. But cross-partisan. I'm going to do my best to push for reform on the progressive end, but I'd like to lend aid and support where I can to conservatives pushing for reform on the conservative end. We do not have to work together, but we should be working concurrently towards the same goal.
Is this possible?
I'd really, really like your genuine thoughts on this.
-- Brian Boyko -- Disgruntled Democrat

Is he 13?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

XyloJW posted:

I can guarantee you he did not use the pseudonym Funksaw on RPGNet so no whoever that is is not this guy.

XyloJW posted:

Well wait I guess maybe it is? I dunno.

It is! He was banned for trying to start a proletariat uprising against the moderators though.

I for one am glad to see he has raised his ambitions from tabletop roleplaying forums to the national stage.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Ettin posted:

It is! He was banned for trying to start a proletariat uprising against the moderators though.

I for one am glad to see he has raised his ambitions from tabletop roleplaying forums to the national stage.

I am beyond confused why he used his real full name as his account name for every website in the past 10 years, except RPGNet.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

XyloJW posted:

I am beyond confused why he used his real full name as his account name for every website in the past 10 years, except RPGNet.

The point of a roleplaying game is to play someone other than yourself, duh.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

XyloJW posted:

His RPGNet account is from 12 years ago.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Elotana posted:

His RPGNet account is from 12 years ago.

At this point I'm expecting to find BBS logs from 1994 signed "--Brian Boyko"

Caros
May 14, 2008

XyloJW posted:

I am beyond confused why he used his real full name as his account name for every website in the past 10 years

Really I just get confused at this much. My loving mother has a web handle because she's smart enough not to go wandering around the internet using her goddamned real name.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

So far we have NZ, the UK, and now Canada that he's threatened to move to? Man, this guy procrastinates.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
I was scrolling through his extensive reddit post history, and I'm positive I saw him mention Sweden and Denmark as potential relocation targets as well. He's pretty much hit every cliche for disaffected white males dreaming of moving to another country where they "get it" (with the exception of Japan (mai waifu)).

goatse.cx
Nov 21, 2013
An epiphany.
Posted by Brian Boyko on Saturday, March 27, 2010
In 2004, when I first decided to go to New Zealand, I was crushed, emotionally.

Everything I had ever held dear about America (and growing up in my family, patriotism was important) was killed the night Kerry lost. And then after that, 2004, 2005, and 2006 were very, very hard years for me. I was underemployed or unemployed, I was poor as crap, I was, quite frankly, in a really bad place financially. I didn’t have health insurance so I couldn’t be treated for my depression or anxiety.

It was a really, really bad time in my life.

And I think I created my own religion.

Belief in an afterlife helps people get through the tough times. It's easy to persevere through the worst, if you believe the future will be more pleasant. This is why belief in Heaven (and the corresponding Jesus/God stuff) is highest in the poorest communities and poorest nations.

But I could never believe in an afterlife.

So what I did was I created my own “afterlife.” – a paradise here on Earth, not after I died, but “in the future” nonetheless. What did it matter, if the government was corrupt, if I couldn’t find a job, if I couldn’t be treated for my depression – if I knew that in the future these concerns would be behind me.

So, I created an idealized New Zealand. A place I would be in the future, so the suffering I was going through at the time wouldn't matter so much in the long run.

And if I were to offer the reality of New Zealand to my 2005-2006 self, he would have taken it, and he’d probably have loved it. He would have felt better because he’d be able to get medication for his depression and anxiety, because he’d afford it because he’d be making $35k/yr – compared to $0k/yr.

But the Brian of 2005-2006 never got that offer. By the time 2010 rolled around, I was no longer suffering. Hell, I was on medication, I was having fun with great friends, I was making enough money to be in the upper-middle-class, at a job I absolutely loved. I even had a government that was *finally* going in the right direction.

New Zealand, in other words, is the solution to a problem that I no longer had.

Again, I’ll never regret trying. If I hadn’t gone, I’ll always wonder what would have happened. And there’s wisdom in disillusionment. But if I could hit the undo button? I’d do it.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Jagchosis posted:

sounds like opinion is split. maybe... maybe the truth is in the middle?

Look if you can't see how trying A solution is better than trying NO solution, then whatever man, don't come crying to me.

Prosopagnosiac
May 19, 2007

One of us! One of us! Aqua Buddha! Aqua Buddha! One of us!

Pan Ache posted:

i like the op and what he stands for and my advice is to open up a hotdog stand somewhere, anywhere, I mean seriously who doesn't love a good dog

This is an under-appreciated post. This guy is Ignatius J Reilly in real, human form.

OP how would you feel about a campaign for moorish dignity? Or D&D players dignity? Or Brony Dignity?

Because I think Reddit might take up those causes too.

Good luck with your valve and stuff.

Forums Barber
Jan 5, 2011
The rpg.net thing amuses me because it's a terrible site I haven't been to in a decade, but when I saw the name Funksaw I immediately remembered what an amazing blowhard piece of poo poo he was. And on that site you had to be really lovely to stand out. The d&d stonewall comment is totally in character.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Ettin posted:

If it is him, he apparently created a fabled picture there which is known as the Crotch Conspiracy.

The greatest tragedy is that it seems to be lost to the winds of time...

Jingai Jigokumoto
Feb 8, 2013

by XyloJW
Does that post say he wishes he had gone to NZ, but he did and was really happy and successful there, but he regrets going? What? Why? What?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Jagchosis posted:

livin the dream

The red pony seems to have a 'Kill me now' expression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Brian Boyko is gonna fukkin kill all of us

• Locked thread