Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

And now you read this in a seally Svedisch accent Jå?

Thumbtacks posted:

Supposedly, this armor is on the PTS:

I think I need to make a Bounty Hunter...

That's a pretty sweet look he's got going there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Dude was a pretty cool character from the KOTOR comics. Glad they're getting some things from it. (They already added the protagonist's armor in a recent pack.)

I'd love to see some of the races from the comics as playable.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Catsworth posted:

Dude was a pretty cool character from the KOTOR comics. Glad they're getting some things from it. (They already added the protagonist's armor in a recent pack.)

I'd love to see some of the races from the comics as playable.

I'm still hoping for some interesting species like Nautolan, Sullustan, Gand or Weequay or something instead of Human with [insert color] skin but know it won't happen because of ~~romances~~ (and likely other legitimate technical reasons but we all know companions kissing ugly people is gross, right?)

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

Hulk Smash! posted:

I'm still hoping for some interesting species like Nautolan, Sullustan, Gand or Weequay or something instead of Human with [insert color] skin but know it won't happen because of ~~romances~~ (and likely other legitimate technical reasons but we all know companions kissing ugly people is gross, right?)

The reason given for why you don't get things like wookies are that their bodyshape doesn't work together with all the armors and probably several of the animations. Wookies also have the same problems as gamorreans in that they can't speak basic even if they can understand it so it would make for some interesting cutscenes.

Then again, it would be somewhat amusing to have your character be like that one Thermian in Galaxy Quest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68PKNjftFeg&t=31s

From your list I suspect that Nautolans and Weequay are the ones that could, concievably show up as playable. The other two? Not so much.

Edit: I can do BBCode! :haw:

Mr Wikstroem fucked around with this message at 11:54 on May 17, 2014

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Pretty nice armor set.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Tezzeract posted:

Pretty nice armor set.

Oh wow. Bioware, please!

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I'm currently in the worst KDY group ever. We wiped twice to mobs. Send help

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.

Tezzeract posted:

Pretty nice armor set.

The Helmet reminds me of Starkiller's outfit in the TFU1 Hoth DLC.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Been Checking out leveling purples vs green: You're fighting 8 levels above greens, 4 levels above blues if you're decked out in purps.

Advanced Resolve Armoring 7
Armor Rating 60
+9 Endurance
+13 Willpower
Requires Level 19

Resolve Armoring 11
Armor Rating 62
+9 Endurance
+13 Willpower
Requires Level 27

Resolve Armoring 9
Armor Rating 62
+9 Endurance
+13 Willpower
Requires Level 23

Edit: Just did Sith Inquisitor Balmorra mission where you coldbloodedly murder everyone on your side. Made me feel a little queasy afterwards.

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 17, 2014

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Maybe next time they won't question your motives.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Tezzeract posted:

Edit: Just did Sith Inquisitor Balmorra mission where you coldbloodedly murder everyone on your side. Made me feel a little queasy afterwards.

Take solace in the fact that everyone you kill increases the Empire-wide average IQ slightly.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Tezzeract posted:

Yeah, I decided to make my inquisitor as evil as possible, and it gets pretty gruesome sometimes. Like the Balmorra mission where the guy's like "rescue my son and I'll give you the maguffin", and when you get to the prison your options are "rescue son" or "kill son for literally no reason"

Then if you kill him and go back to the father, he basically calls you out on how senseless that was, like "there was no reason to do that, the escape button was right there, why did you do that?" and you can basically just say "I was bored" and then kill him too.

It's a little hard to swallow sometimes! But i'm in too deep to turn back now.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Dark side sith inquisitor is pure comic book villain evil. Kick the puppy, then eat it infront of a baby, then eat the baby style evil.

It's awesome!

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

"kill son for literally no reason"

Being a stupid rear end in a top hat is technically a reason. :) If I remember correctly, he mocks you and his father for how weak you are while he's in his cell with no possibility of escape other than your help.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I expected this game to be totally dead. Yet it isnt, and Bioware keeps investing money in it.

Are they turning an appreciable profit still?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

They were losing lots of money until it went f2p. Every quarterly report from EA mentions how swtor is doing well when discussing revenue from their online or whatever group.

You can tell by the lack of development after f2p started that they hadn't expected much but then threw in more resources after a quarter or so.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
So I just started playing this game. First MMO I've ever played (well Eve too, but didn't play that for long).

I apparently had bought this a while ago so I had the key laying around. I have 520 Cartel Coins, lvl 14 Sith Assassin, but wanted to know what were the things I should focus on buying. I'd like to get a cool speeder or something.

I'm kind of just running around doing missions and the storyline. Have no idea what crafting and all that is for. Also, I'm kind of just picking the skills that seem interesting, but even with that the tech tree just seems kind of all over the place. Not really sure how to structure my guy.

unpurposed fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 18, 2014

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

unpurposed posted:

So I just started playing this game. First MMO I've ever played (well Eve too, but didn't play that for long).

I apparently had bought this a while ago so I had the key laying around. I have 520 Cartel Coins, lvl 14 Sith Assassin, but wanted to know what were the things I should focus on buying. I'd like to get a cool speeder or something.

I'm kind of just running around doing missions and the storyline. Have no idea what crafting and all that is for. Also, I'm kind of just picking the skills that seem interesting, but even with that the tech tree just seems kind of all over the place. Not really sure how to structure my guy.

The Carbonite Chamber is 25% off CC market - look swank while healing.

In terms of more practical purchases, Rocket boots from your legacy is a great buy.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Dandywalken posted:

I expected this game to be totally dead. Yet it isnt, and Bioware keeps investing money in it.

Are they turning an appreciable profit still?

I think the cartel packs are doing very well for them. ESO being hot garbage probably helped as well.

unpurposed posted:

Death Field in the Madness tree is the easiest lvling for a Sin, get it asap. Madness overall will be in a very good spot when 2.8 drops here in a few weeks. As for crafting go Biochem/Bioanalysis/Diplomacy if all you care about is what is most effective otherwise it doesn't really matter. Some may say Cybertech but medpacs are worth they're weight in gold to a Sin since you get you're healing companion so late.

Having said that Sorc is far easier for a newbie and lvl 14 is a casual evening of playing.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

unpurposed posted:

So you'll basically want to follow one tree to the top. For leveling you'll want either madness (right side) or to tank (left side). You can look at the character guides to see how characters should look at level 55 and what skills each spec uses at that level. That way you can know which skills you need to have on your bars and which ones aren't as important. It can certainly become overwhelming.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

EDIT: Nevermind, got it resolved.

On a different note, how the hell can the Endar Spire still be intact on the surface of Taris, after 300 years and the Sith bombardment?

Orgophlax fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 18, 2014

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

Orgophlax posted:

On a different note, how the hell can the Endar Spire still be intact on the surface of Taris, after 300 years and the Sith bombardment?

They don't build them like they used to...

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Orgophlax posted:

EDIT: Nevermind, got it resolved.

Not to mention complete disintegration.

something something creative license

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

Cross-Section posted:

That gif clearly shows the Endar Spire being blown away from the escape pod at speeds faster than the eye can see. :downs:

OzCavalier
Jun 6, 2006

SON OF BITCH!
[LEFT HOOK]

Cross-Section posted:

Mr Wikstroem posted:

That gif clearly shows the Endar Spire being blown away [OzCavalier sez: Emphasis mine] from the escape pod at speeds faster than the eye can see. :downs:

and, as such, in the OPPOSITE direction to the planet's surface.... which again raises the question, how the gently caress did the Endar Spire end up crashed on the surface of Taris?

Continuity spergs itt....

ThreeSixXero
Mar 12, 2013

Unprofessional design critic

Thumbtacks posted:

Supposedly, this armor is on the PTS:

I think I need to make a Bounty Hunter...

I'd use the helmet from that.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hope this isn't out of place, but is putting my referral link here frowned upon? I'd like to get the mount since I hear it's pretty good and I'm finding it difficult to get credits.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

unpurposed posted:

Hope this isn't out of place, but is putting my referral link here frowned upon? I'd like to get the mount since I hear it's pretty good and I'm finding it difficult to get credits.

Post away

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Great! Hopefully someone can use be kind enough to use this if they decide to re-up. :D

http://www.swtor.com/r/SGJ9v2

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

OzCavalier posted:

and, as such, in the OPPOSITE direction to the planet's surface.... which again raises the question, how the gently caress did the Endar Spire end up crashed on the surface of Taris?

Continuity spergs itt....

Look, if you think about it it's obvious it got caught up in the suns gravity well in such a way as to slingshot it into Taris again. I mean it's so obvious if you think about it. :downs:

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Does anyone run the right side spec on their snipers / gunslingers? The Dulfy guide says it's supposed to be better than the marksman/sharpshooter tree, but I tried following the rotation they wanted and I did less damage and kept running out of energy, so I must be loving something up.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Bedurndurn posted:

Does anyone run the right side spec on their snipers / gunslingers? The Dulfy guide says it's supposed to be better than the marksman/sharpshooter tree, but I tried following the rotation they wanted and I did less damage and kept running out of energy, so I must be loving something up.

I tried it for a couple levels and I was way too used to marksmanship to really enjoy it.

Marksmanship is nice because other than throwing in an interrupt or shielding every now and then you're using the exact same rotation for absolutely anything and you can switch from target to target without having to redo the rotation or reapply debuffs. It's very simple.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Bedurndurn posted:

I use it but my Sniper is only in her mid 30s so take it with a pinch of salt. I seem to do a little less damage due to "wasted" DOT ticks but I feel the tradeoff is worth it for the massively increased mobility as your not as tied down to squatting and sniping.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Ferrosol posted:

I use it but my Sniper is only in her mid 30s so take it with a pinch of salt. I seem to do a little less damage due to "wasted" DOT ticks but I feel the tradeoff is worth it for the massively increased mobility as your not as tied down to squatting and sniping.

I feel like its a matter of focus - if you are PVE focused, Marksman is a good fit. If you are PVP focused, Lethality is good fit. Engineering? Well, I... uh... *shrugs*

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Terminal Illness is such a fun Heroic on Nar Shaddaa to solo. Mezzing folks and having the champion level patrol droid DPS and Tank gold mobs is the best.

parara
Apr 9, 2010

Bedurndurn posted:

If you want Massive Burst Damage(TM) look into a hybrid between Engineering and Lethality. Granted, it's been a while since I've taken this into raids so I have no idea if it got nerfed or whatever and it requires some set-up, but it's incredibly satisfying to blow away a massive chunk of health every rotation.

parara fucked around with this message at 13:38 on May 18, 2014

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Moreau posted:

I feel like its a matter of focus - if you are PVE focused, Marksman is a good fit. If you are PVP focused, Lethality is good fit. Engineering? Well, I... uh... *shrugs*

The main advantage of full Engineering is increased survivability. It's a good spec if you're queuing solo and can't depend on reliable healing or don't mind node guarding.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

I hopped on that deal posted Friday to get a month for $8.99. Not planning on setting up a recurring subscription. If I create a character with a race not normally available to f2p, will that character become unavailable once the month ends?

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Orgophlax posted:

I hopped on that deal posted Friday to get a month for $8.99. Not planning on setting up a recurring subscription. If I create a character with a race not normally available to f2p, will that character become unavailable once the month ends?

You keep the race and if you level your character to 50, you unlock the race permanently on your account (or is it legacy?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

If your sub lapses, you keep the ability to play the character. If you then hit 50 on that character, you unlock the race. A good suggestion is to set up someone of each race you want, so you can play them once your sub ends (if that matters to you at all)

• Locked thread