Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galler
Jan 28, 2008

After installing StartIsBack (which I will now admit is better than Classic Shell and worth the $5 or whatever it is now) I no longer have any complaints with Win 8 and see no reason to use 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Galler posted:

After installing StartIsBack (which I will now admit is better than Classic Shell and worth the $5 or whatever it is now) I no longer have any complaints with Win 8 and see no reason to use 7.

I was typing up another reply, but that sums up 90% of what it was.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Backov posted:

Since when is Windows 8 an upgrade? From what, Win ME? Put 7 on that poo poo.

She had 8 and upgraded to 8.1.

If it were my computer I'd flatten and reinstall Windows 7 because all versions of Win 8 are just loving Busch-league kindergarten clusterfucks. :v:

Edit: Yeah I should probably install startisback and I'd forget about everything I hate.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
My issues aren't really with the UI. Sure, the metro start thing is annoying, but not a huge deal.

What is a huge deal are all the bugs.

Wifi adapter flakes out on both machines and has to be reset to work again.
Sleep settings aren't respected.
OS pops me back to desktop when I'm playing games because I'm about to run out of memory, and I should close the game I am playing to avoid that. WTF, Microsoft. You guys nailed virtual memory, WTF are you doing?
Video and audio drivers are unreliable - if my Win8 laptop has to change resolutions, about half the time it will just fail to do so. So I'll get a black screen instead of my new resolution. This is a nVidia mobile card. Also will sometimes fail to properly reset the display when coming back from sleep mode, so it will be "awake" with a black screen. The only cure is to put it back to sleep and wake it up again.

Both the SP2 and the laptop have the audio driver crash horribly when playing Rocksmith 2014. The SP2 much less so than the laptop.

I've had the laptop BSOD a couple times, something I never saw with 7.

In short, giant POS for various reasons, about half related to drivers. DO NOT BUY.

Yes, my top of the line Vaio is probably just lovely hardware. It is, I am sure. But the SP2 was made for this OS, and still has some of these issues.

Backov fucked around with this message at 05:33 on May 18, 2014

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
So, your problems aren't with the OS but with the third-party drivers? And I've never had a sleep setting issue, but that's only on three machines (two laptops, one custom built desktop).

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Backov posted:

top of the line Vaio

Every Vaio I've ever worked on has required more loving with drivers and manufacturer proprietary software than any other laptop to get everything 100%. I'm guessing that issue is exacerbated by it being a higher end model. In the end you're right that it's Microsoft's problem to deal with but I'm just pointing out that on other laptops with more common hardware the frequency of issues you're having would probably not be present. Thankfully Sony can be pretty drat decent about providing good support for their new products.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 18, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Extra posted:

Every Vaio I've ever worked on has required more loving with drivers and manufacturer proprietary software than any other laptop to get everything 100%. I'm guessing that issue is exacerbated by it being a higher end model. In the end you're right that it's Microsoft's problem to deal with but I'm just pointing out that on other laptops with more common hardware the frequency of issues you're having would probably not be present.

Thankfully Sony is pretty drat decent about providing good support for their new products.

Same. Vaios look damned cool, but holy gently caress proprietary poo poo.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Same. Vaios look damned cool, but holy gently caress proprietary poo poo.

Ya, I got lucky with my previous Vaio. Ordered a custom built Win7 laptop from them, and it was fantastic. After a couple years the USB ports were getting flakey so I sent it in for repairs. They lost it.

They replaced it with this custom build of "similar" spec. Sigh. Going to be restoring its factory Win8 soon and selling it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
My major reason for hating Win8 is that it's part of this ridiculous retarded "pretend everything is a phone/tablet with a touchscreen, limited real estate, and that your user is a half blind Parkinsons sufferer with thumbs the size of canteloupes" fad every OS is apparently going through.

gently caress that, I have screen real estate, and it's not a touch screen, go to hell.

I'll be going straight back to FreeBSD (yes, on my desktop, yes I am a horrible nerd, no I don't care, gently caress your linux) when I run out of WinXP and Win7 licenses/machines. No love lost between me and Microsoft... and no, I'm not buying apple either, don't even bother.

On that note. Time to go back outside and bolt more poo poo back onto my engine :v: I can't even remember what tool I came back inside for, hopefully I remember before getting to the door.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Since we're talking about PCs again, I've got my new one all up and running now and holy poo poo. Going from a quad core Phenom II with DDR2 to a hyperthreaded hex core Ivy Bridge-E with DDR3 is a pretty big jump. Need to get a few more paychecks but soon I'll pick up another 48GB of RAM (for 64 total :swoon:) and couple more SSDs and I'll be able to ditch my HP DL180 G5s and run my home lab off of just my desktop. Faster, quieter, and more efficient. Technology is wonderful.

Overclocking has changed a lot in the past five years and also going AMD -> Intel but I've managed to fumble my way to having this i7-4930k running at stock speeds while undervolted and at 4.2Ghz under load with a very tiny bump in voltage. Might not even need that voltage bump but this voltage offset thingy doesn't seem to behave as advertised.

e: Also my motherboard came with a free copy of AssCreed 4 so I guess it's time to go have fun being a pirate and desperately trying to ignore whatever retarded plot ubi came up with this time.

Galler fucked around with this message at 06:38 on May 18, 2014

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So my sister is moving back to Orlando from Ann Arbor next week. I'll be flying up Thursday, First Class. :smug: (it was a $22 upgrade on a $470 ticket, no-brainer.)

She'll be hanging with her friends up there one last time on Friday before we pack that night. Don't know if I'll have transportation, but assuming so, any particular must-see sights in the area?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Galler posted:

e: Also my motherboard came with a free copy of AssCreed 4 so I guess it's time to go have fun being a pirate and desperately trying to ignore whatever retarded plot ubi came up with this time.

I'm not a huge fan of AssCreed games but 4 is pretty loving great. Treat it like Sid Meier's Pirates! but all grown up and you'll have the right idea. Customizable, upgradable ship with an open world where you can sail, capture defeated ships to start a merchant fleet, fight legendary ships for special upgrades, go diving for blueprints, capture forts to call your own, search random islands for treasure... I mean yeah, there's a story, but it takes a massive backseat to the exploration and free roam. AC4 is pretty much amazing. Like, it's my favorite game to come out recently, it's that good.

EDIT: Also, you collect motherfucking shanties that you find floating in various towns and it unlocks new songs for your crew to sing while you're sailing. Collectable shanties. I don't think I need to say anything else :v:

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 06:49 on May 18, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fucknag posted:

So my sister is moving back to Orlando from Ann Arbor next week. I'll be flying up Thursday, First Class. :smug: (it was a $22 upgrade on a $470 ticket, no-brainer.)

She'll be hanging with her friends up there one last time on Friday before we pack that night. Don't know if I'll have transportation, but assuming so, any particular must-see sights in the area?

Michigan sucks.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

T1g4h posted:

I'm not a huge fan of AssCreed games but 4 is pretty loving great. Treat it like Sid Meier's Pirates! but all grown up and you'll have the right idea. Customizable, upgradable ship with an open world where you can sail, capture defeated ships to start a merchant fleet, fight legendary ships for special upgrades, go diving for blueprints, capture forts to call your own, search random islands for treasure... I mean yeah, there's a story, but it takes a massive backseat to the exploration and free roam. AC4 is pretty much amazing. Like, it's my favorite game to come out recently, it's that good.

Will do, thanks. Also that seems to match up pretty well to Yahtzee's review. Ship stuff fun everything else ehh. I thought the first 3rd of 1 was OK, 2 was a lot better and pretty fun overall, Brotherhood was great, and I've not played Revelations or 3. I wish there was an option to autoskip everything related to whatever overarching plot ubi is working on (all the animus related stuff) because it's so bad it almost ruins the gameplay.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

There's not too much Non-Pirate stuff, thankfully. I want to say like, 3 or 4 modern day scenes that you have to do during the course of the story, but for the most part it's optional stuff you can do if you really give a drat about Ubi's weird modern day tale of Templars and Abstergo and etc. I ignored all of it, gently caress that, I'm here to play pirate and broadside motherfuckers :black101:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Galler posted:

Since we're talking about PCs again, I've got my new one all up and running now and holy poo poo. Going from a quad core Phenom II with DDR2 to a hyperthreaded hex core Ivy Bridge-E with DDR3 is a pretty big jump. Need to get a few more paychecks but soon I'll pick up another 48GB of RAM (for 64 total :swoon:) and couple more SSDs and I'll be able to ditch my HP DL180 G5s and run my home lab off of just my desktop.

what are you doing :stare:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Everything. I'll admit this is slightly overkill but I'm going to use this thing every day for the next ~5 years so I don't mind spending a bit more. Especially now that I'm in the best financial situation I've ever been in.

e: a quad core i7 with 32GB RAM probably would have been enough but with this I won't ever need to choose between videogames and virtual machines and can also play around with RAM disks at the same time or something.

Galler fucked around with this message at 07:23 on May 18, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Pick up a 4 socket Poulson core Itanium machine sometime, you can put up to 8TB of RAM on those (so 2TB per socket) if the motherboard supports it and you have deep enough pockets. Well, our dev machines had that as the maximum at work in 2011, I don't know that that was the actual physical addressing limit for the memory controllers on those chips. It may have been higher :v:

blk
Dec 19, 2009
OK, AI: Esprit S4/S4S vs NSX; which would you choose and why?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

NSX. I had a long post trying to justify/rationalise it but gently caress that. NSX.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm in west Iowa tonight and there seem to be an unusually high number of people with visible tattoos on their heads

It got nice out today, so people took off their stocking caps.

We're Iowans, we still don't quite trust that winter's over. :colbert:

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Sinestro posted:

I want to work out, but I don't know what to do. I can't afford a gym membership, and my hosed up feet preclude much running. Just through eating slightly better, even though I still eat like poo poo, I've lost 30 pounds this year.

Get a gym mat, fashion some sort of pullup bar, and you're in business.

When you advance a little bit further, some sort of used barbell + plates and a DIY power rack + bench is really all you need.

I just joined a fancy commercial gym due to changing jobs and losing access to the one at my old work, and pretty much my entire workout could take place in a squat rack that has a pullup bar bolted to it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Got a pretty :gizz: text earlier inviting me over to some sexy times. Yay! :quagmire:

Then I got back from my last delivery at work to find this waiting for me:

:flaccid:

Guess who clocked out at 2:45am? :smith:

bolind posted:

I just joined a fancy commercial gym due to changing jobs and losing access to the one at my old work, and pretty much my entire workout could take place in a squat rack that has a pullup bar bolted to it.

The city I live in has several city-owned recreation centers - a couple of them even have pools. All of them have a decent selection of cardio + weight equipment, the one I always go to has an indoor track as well.

$119/year, and they're open early/late. I let my membership lapse recently, but I plan to join again pretty soon.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:53 on May 18, 2014

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Geirskogul posted:

What's it like time-traveling a year into the future? Windows 8 is actually pretty acceptable now, and has measurable startup time, resource management, and performance improvements.

gently caress the pricks who thought Metro was anywhere near a good idea - Start8 is the only thing that makes that poo poo sandwich usable. The under the hood improvements (which as you said are really there) mean nothing if the UI is a turd sandwich. If ONLY they had not forced a loving phone UI oto a desktop.

Metro on a server, that's just plain inexcusable stupid.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Cat Terrist posted:

gently caress the pricks who thought Metro was anywhere near a good idea - Start8 is the only thing that makes that poo poo sandwich usable. The under the hood improvements (which as you said are really there) mean nothing if the UI is a turd sandwich. If ONLY they had not forced a loving phone UI oto a desktop.

Metro on a server, that's just plain inexcusable stupid.

I have never understood the rage about Windows 8. The standard, traditional desktop is literally 1 click from the Metro interface. It's just not an issue.

On a tablet, though, I did find Metro to be infuriatingly bad for look, customizing and setup.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

meatpimp posted:

I have never understood the rage about Windows 8. The standard, traditional desktop is literally 1 click from the Metro interface. It's just not an issue.

Yes and no. The start menu is completely gone in stock Win8. You can still find apps easily enough with the search bar - which is how I found most programs/etc in 7 anyway (it was so much easier to tap <win key> and type :filez: instead of clicking start, then programs, then Adobe, then totallylegalphotoshop). In stock Windows 8, you either click Desktop from the Metro UI, or mash the windows key in just the right way.

Either way, 7 taught me enough that I just tap <windows key> and the first few letters of what I'm looking for. For me, it's far faster than even having a shortcut on the desktop, but I also type a little faster than the average person (last recruiter's typing test put me around 110 WPM @ 100%), so :iiam:

Startisback seems to be a little buggy with that, it seems to completely lose stuff I don't use more than once a month or so. But the Metro UI also seems to have that fault, so who knows..

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:45 on May 18, 2014

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Gotta love mixing booze and Xanax. Do. Not. Remember. poo poo. First thing I did when I woke up is ask if I tried to fight anyone. Good times.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I've heard enough people bitch about 8 that I'm not even going to bother trying it out (esp when I loving love 7 and everything about it). I bought 2 7Pro serials when I was in school, and that'll keep me going until MS gets their poo poo straight again.
I've also never used Vista (well once), I was on 2K/XP for most of a decade.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Tommychu posted:

I've heard enough people bitch about 8 that I'm not even going to bother trying it out (esp when I loving love 7 and everything about it). I bought 2 7Pro serials when I was in school, and that'll keep me going until MS gets their poo poo straight again.
I've also never used Vista (well once), I was on 2K/XP for most of a decade.

Vista was as much of a gently caress in reality as Win8 is in the collective view.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Windows 8 is fine and you all need to stop being Sperg-Kings of Goonmar, Lords of the Tardgl, Chieftains of the Nerdwraiths.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I hopped on the Win8 beta and RC since I was a computer janitor at the time and I was using it on my school laptop and on my HTPC. The start menu programs hadn't existed yet, but out of the box it took me more keystrokes to do the same thing in Win7. That's unacceptable.

I liked Windows Vista, but I wasn't a loving invalid and tried to run it with 512MB of RAM (8GB supremacy).

Meatpimp nailed it: it's just another PR nightmare like Vista. See: the Mojave Experiment.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Guys. Guys!

http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/browse/home

I see poo poo like crown vics, E350 15-person vans, generators, and other poo poo go for insanely cheap. Also saw a C5 go for something like $9k.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

some texas redneck posted:

Got a pretty :gizz: text earlier inviting me over to some sexy times. Yay! :quagmire:

gently caress that poo poo seriously? Your manager didnt even get a head start for you?
I would have walked out.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Isn't being a kitchen bitch great? Just think of the money and respect you get from your employer and ahahah :smithicide:

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Speaking of Metro, any happy Windows phone users around? I'm kind of fed up with Android and don't really want to go back to iOS.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

blk posted:

Speaking of Metro, any happy Windows phone users around? I'm kind of fed up with Android and don't really want to go back to iOS.

Do you like not having any apps? Because then Windows Phone 8 is for you.

It works fine. I prefer IOS or Android. I will say the Nokia Lumia I have is really, really nice though (the hardware). But not nice enough for me to use as a primary phone/make up for WP8.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

some texas redneck posted:

:flaccid:

Guess who clocked out at 2:45am? :smith:

What I hate is when you have that many pans, you can only wash about 1/4 of them before the water gets so oily that they start coming out as greasy as the go in and then you have to drain and refill the wash basins with fresh water before you can continue. I hated coming back to that on my last delivery. :(

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Motronic posted:

Do you like not having any apps? Because then Windows Phone 8 is for you.

It works fine. I prefer IOS or Android. I will say the Nokia Lumia I have is really, really nice though (the hardware). But not nice enough for me to use as a primary phone/make up for WP8.

Yeah, I'm not a big app user.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

blk posted:

Yeah, I'm not a big app user.

In that case, it does everything you would expect a smart phone to do out of the box and integrates well into the Microsoft cloud ecosystem (as one would expect).

Unfortunately the platform simply isn't taking off as expected. Nokia/Microsoft are paying companies to port their apps in an attempt to get a critical mass in the app store (including my company).

Then Nokia did something really odd in December or so with the super secret "Normandy" project pre releases (it's basically just a Nokia build of Android): they gave it a Metro-like UI. So, uh......I dunno, I guess WP8 is too fat to run on low end hardware they have planned or something. Otherwise it makes no sense to "clone" WP8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Nokia makes a great handset and WP looks pretty good, but the OS sucks, there's next to no app support, and IE really blows.

I went from a Nokia Lumia 920 to a Nexus 4 to a Nexus 5. The N5 is a brilliant handset and bone stock AOSP has all of the bells and whistles I need.

• Locked thread