Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Just play through the game. Use less good stuff for now and use the better stuff later once you've leveled up. If you sit around farming souls you're just doing boring busy work for no reason. Why do you need to get everything all at once right away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.

VDay posted:

So just pretend that it's a guy that the dude you're invading summoned to help him and kill them both? You realize you're complaining about some dude invading your invasion and making it a 2vs1 fight while you're trying to invade someone in a covenant whose gimmick is that you get to fight people with a 2vs1 advantage right?

If you just want to PvP there are other options.

Eh, I guess. If the host actually has phantoms with him I'm still pretty boned though.

e: This just brightened my day, I get summoned into a tower where there's already another grey spirit there. I hear metal on flesh noises, so I figure he's already fighting the host. I head to the bottom of the tower to see a grey phantom wearing nothing but the Xanthous crown, using the mining pick to pick at the pile of bell keeper bodies. I wish I could've gotten a screenshot of it.

Doctor Zaius fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 18, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What's the deal with the Grym axe? It feels really floaty. Half the time I try to hit something my character turns the other way just because I nudge a key in a different direction. None of the other weapons I've used up until have been so sensitive about direction. I'm trying to get used to it but it just feels so awkward.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
The fastest way to getting 'good' stuff is to go straight to 20/20 magic/faith to blag yourself the hexer's set, then another 2 faith for lightning spear. If you're decent enough you can do that within an hour. Last Giant - Dragonrider is all it takes.
In fact you could probably even just go straight to Dragonrider from Things Betwixt and treat yourself to that lightning spear ability really early. If my new character is going to be using any form of miracles, that's literally the first thing I do.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

I get mildly annoyed when I invade as a red or blue phantom and the host is already basically standing there waiting for me with two summoned helpers. You either get stunlocked in melee or you get tied up in melee by one/two of them while someone circles around throwing spells or arrows at you.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The fastest way to getting 'good' stuff is to go straight to 20/20 magic/faith to blag yourself the hexer's set, then another 2 faith for lightning spear. If you're decent enough you can do that within an hour. Last Giant - Dragonrider is all it takes.
In fact you could probably even just go straight to Dragonrider from Things Betwixt and treat yourself to that lightning spear ability really early. If my new character is going to be using any form of miracles, that's literally the first thing I do.

Would going straight to Dragonrider give you enough souls though?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

What's the deal with the Grym axe? It feels really floaty. Half the time I try to hit something my character turns the other way just because I nudge a key in a different direction. None of the other weapons I've used up until have been so sensitive about direction. I'm trying to get used to it but it just feels so awkward.

You can aim any attack during the windup and the greatweapon movesets have a huge windup so it's easier to spin the wrong way if you're not aware of it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

All of the larger weapons are like this, it's one of their features. Unlike smaller weapons, you can swing in any direction no matter which direction you're facing, even when locked on (compared to something like a Rapier where if you hold to the right you'll hit like 15 degrees to the right). If you're locked on and want to hit in that direction either aim there or let go of the control stick.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Any tips on NG++ and later Freja? I can hardly get close without getting wrecked by her or the adds and I'm trying to avoid solving all my problems with lightning this run.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Colapops posted:

Also, you know how the Looking Glass Knight summons players on NG+? My friend and I just got a cheater summoned into the fight :(

If it makes you feel any better, I got summoned on the side of the LGK into a fight where the host had infinite health.

Okay that probably doesn't.
I at least managed to take out his phantom buddies. I have no idea why you'd summon helpers while infinite health hacking, though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Control Volume posted:

You can aim any attack after the windup and the greatweapon movesets have a huge windup so it's easier to spin the wrong way if you're not aware of it.

Hrm. Admittedly I've only used the only great weapon I've used extensively is the thorned greatsword and bastard sword, but I never noticed any direction change for them being anywhere near as huge. I'm literally missing targets I'm locked onto standing next to me with a huge axe somehow. Its pretty drat annoying honestly, but maybe its just because I've been playing for so long with weapons that don't turn on a dime.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Hrm. Admittedly I've only used the only great weapon I've used extensively is the thorned greatsword and bastard sword, but I never noticed any direction change for them being anywhere near as huge. I'm literally missing targets I'm locked onto standing next to me with a huge axe somehow. Its pretty drat annoying honestly, but maybe its just because I've been playing for so long with weapons that don't turn on a dime.

Neither of those are large weapons, they're medium. Just aim in the actual direction you're swinging or lock on and don't aim.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

dis astranagant posted:

Any tips on NG++ and later Freja? I can hardly get close without getting wrecked by her or the adds and I'm trying to avoid solving all my problems with lightning this run.

Summon boyd and get close to her she basically can't hurt you if you're close just don't have this happen:

E: I usually run from the adds then approach her from the side while she's being annoyed with boyd.

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~
So if I am PvPing and get summoned into the Belfry and hit a guy and see the damage as 312 yet his HP bar doesn't move at all - is that safe to say he was hacking? Or am I missing something here?

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Kind of like GeDoSaTo with the Asmodean post processing filter. Just need to turn off the ridiculous bloom and Depth of Field. It does crank up the contrast to the point that grays get flattened to black in some places, but Drangleic is probably the sort of place that would have a permanent desaturation filter hanging over it. Going to tinker with the post.fx shader and see if I can make the contrast less severe.

Before:

After:

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.

dongsweep posted:

So if I am PvPing and get summoned into the Belfry and hit a guy and see the damage as 312 yet his HP bar doesn't move at all - is that safe to say he was hacking? Or am I missing something here?

Probably; from what I've seen if you hit someone and they take no damage at all it's probably lag and they'll take the damage later, if you do damage but their health doesn't move they've frozen their health and are thus hacking.

oneof3steves
Oct 25, 2007

Sgulp
I was used to the old jumping control from DS1 so I swapped my controls back to that, but I find that a significant number of my deaths are situations in which I think I'm going to jump/want to jump and it doesn't work. Are the new controls for jumping better/worth getting used to? It's weird because it feels way less reliable than the first game, though maybe that means my controller is dying?

Edit: If I have a bunch of souls I would seriously rather walk through a fog door to a possible boss I've never fought than have to do a jump... at least a boss involves controls that work. When I see youtube videos though no one ever seems to have any issues jumping which makes me think it's my controller or something.

oneof3steves fucked around with this message at 06:02 on May 18, 2014

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Both of the jumping controls kinda suck really.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Both of the jumping controls kinda suck really.

Yeah I wish I could remap it to like b>a instead of relying on the thumbstick or double tap

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
Actually, now I'm wondering: How many people would it be possible to fit in one bell tower? Could you theoretically have a host who's a member of the way of blue summon two phantoms, enter the belltower and get invaded by two gray spirits and one bloodbro, and have his ring summon a blue cop?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Doctor Zaius posted:

Actually, now I'm wondering: How many people would it be possible to fit in one bell tower? Could you theoretically have a host who's a member of the way of blue summon two phantoms, enter the belltower and get invaded by two gray spirits and one bloodbro, and have his ring summon a blue cop?

Yes. Alternatively the host could be invaded by a blue for being a sinner

oneof3steves
Oct 25, 2007

Sgulp

Doctor Zaius posted:

I've been in one with 5... the host, phantom, 2 grays and a red. I've never ever seen a blue though so I'm not sure it's possible. That may also be that most people who are in the belltower swap to bell covenant so can't pull a blue.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Doctor Zaius posted:

Can you summon phantoms outside and then walk into the bellfry? I don't think I've ever seen it

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Hands up if you can parry like a champ but consistently gently caress up the timing on the riposte?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Blues can invade sinner hosts in the Belfries. I know because I did so not but two hours ago.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

ImPureAwesome posted:

Can you summon phantoms outside and then walk into the bellfry? I don't think I've ever seen it
No, it makes a dark grey fogwall that summons can't pass and (I think) the host can't either until his phantoms are banished.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Do shields like the Target and Buckler actually make parrying easier over the baseline that small shields normally have. Their description implies they do but the description is usually misleading.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

DSauer posted:

Do shields like the Target and Buckler actually make parrying easier over the baseline that small shields normally have. Their description implies they do but the description is usually misleading.

Yes, I notice a bit of more of a parry window with a Buckler compared to the beginning shield you start off with as a warrior. They are probably the closet thing to DS1 parrying.

Well that and the schimtar. :v:

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
And the Buckler is absolutely adorable. The cutest little shield.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSaPfylFE0U

Emarrel made a short and sweet vid that shows you how to get the lava loot at Iron Keep.

I didn't know that flash sweat multiplied your fire resist :eyepop:.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
The cutest little shield that can whoop the Pursuers's rear end. :getin:

Kinda glad they let you get it really early.

Shame that parrying Pursuer is the only one worth parrying, every other boss just shrugs it off.

edit: Uh DUH.

Cast flash sweat, and roll in the water and bam the buff multiplies like hell to the point the flames tickle you. If you wanna see it more hilarious, wear the hexer set. Goddamn best fire defense set in the game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm trying to start a peasant rebellion here.

And by rebellion I mean clubbing invaders in the head. Figure the best way to do that is join CoC, become a sinner, and wear the red string. Trying to become the biggest invasion magnet possible. I'm trying to figure out what NPCs to murder to get more than 10 sin though. I already killed Tark for his ring (RIP), but there really aren't that many useless NPCs in this game. Am I allowed to invade people with cracked eye orbs if I'm part of the CoC? If not I could just drop it temporarily until I rack up enough sin.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Shindragon posted:

The cutest little shield that can whoop the Pursuers's rear end. :getin:

Kinda glad they let you get it really early.

Shame that parrying Pursuer is the only one worth parrying, every other boss just shrugs it off.

I think that was a solution to having most bosses be pushovers if you could time parries right, but still reward the player for their skill with some sweet immunity frames.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I love the respeccing in this. Had 4 soul vessels so I figured it was time to experiment. Took the 15 extra DEX I wasn't using for any of my weapons and put it into Attunement and Faith and just made everything I own Lightning. Faith builds!

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Huh. From what I can see, there seems to be roughly 8 "tiers" of casting speed, all hand-defined for every spell.

They even went so far as to define separate startup and wind-down animations.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I'm on my phone atm, but you guys should really check out the Kings Field 4 intro movie if you want to see more similarities with DS1 and more specifically 2

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Also, for anyone who ever wants to play that game on an emulator, if you ever run into a sudden blank glitch void, back off and set EE round mode to anything other than regular. Then set it back after you go in.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Can you summon people for Vendrick or is he meant to be one-on-one? I normally don't mind tough fights but one hit from him is an instant death for me so it's wearing on my patience.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

Tallgeese posted:

Also, for anyone who ever wants to play that game on an emulator, if you ever run into a sudden blank glitch void, back off and set EE round mode to anything other than regular. Then set it back after you go in.

Setting it to Negative, save stateing, reloading, and then setting it back to normal is a good way to force the game to reload anything -- it has quite a few area load issues aside from just the level not loading anything.

Setting the right stick to function as the triggers also makes it a serviceable if slow first person dungeon crawler.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot, Golems from DkS2 are the same as KF4 as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Vanderdeath posted:

Can you summon people for Vendrick or is he meant to be one-on-one? I normally don't mind tough fights but one hit from him is an instant death for me so it's wearing on my patience.

Oh man I am actually right there. He's dodgeable, yes; but after what feels like forty hours of picking away at his ankles I will inevitably gently caress up somewhere and it only takes one for me to have to start over. As far as I can tell, though, there's no way to bring in anyone else.