Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Oraculum Animi posted:

For being the white-aligned god, Heliod is like the biggest dick. I mean, him and Thassa are just the worst.

Heliod's reasoning was "you're a planeswalker, which I recently learned was a thing, which means you could potentially become a god just like Xenagos did. Which kinda hosed with the balance of the entire plane. So. Gotta die, sorry," which makes him dumb but still white-aligned. I presume he thought Ajani was just some leonin, otherwise he would've murdered him too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Oraculum Animi posted:

For being the white-aligned god, Heliod is like the biggest dick. I mean, him and Thassa are just the worst.

Seriously. I love Heliod the card, because I love me some White Weenie, but this makes me not want to play him at all because gently caress that guy.

JohnnyTreachery
Dec 7, 2000
how much are these gonna go for

https://www.facebook.com/TheArtOfTereseNielsen/photos/a.442042932523121.99824.423072597753488/700203970040348/

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Assloads. Those are insanely beautiful.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
this is the best loving spoiler season and it's barely even started

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Unf, what are these from? Some kind of promo?

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

They were going to go for A Buttload, but then I saw the artist, and now I would like to revise my answer and say they are going to go for A Dang Ol' Metric Buttload.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

C-Euro posted:

Unf, what are these from? Some kind of promo?

We don't know yet. Cursory glances over the facebook page Therese confirms she doesn't know why she has them, since they arrived to her seemingly out of nowhere.

Suspicions are that it's some sort of conspiracy.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
They have the word "Judge" right on them, don't they? Unless those cards up top are just mockups?

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Attorney at Funk posted:

They have the word "Judge" right on them, don't they? Unless those cards up top are just mockups?

Well, they do have the DCI 'set' symbol on them. If they're judge promos, rad. If they're more readily available, even better!

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

field balm posted:

Has anyone done the maths for mtgo vintage? Like, if I save a hundred bucks for boosters/drafting is there any chance I could start playing constructed or are staples going to be mythic and I just end up with unplayable dross?

Its a format I'd like to play but don't have the community/cash to buy in IRL.

The power 9 (and 8 of them are staples in the format) are going to be rarer than mythic, about twice as much when you account for the fact that only 9 cards occupy that rarity slot. However, you only need 1 of each.

JohnnyTreachery
Dec 7, 2000
foils for judge packets, nonfoils for conspiracy basics

we can hope, right?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Is the DCI suffering from some sort of Judge shortage recently? Seriously, between the promos they've shown off already and now those loving lands, they're going to make a lot of wizard poker nerds who were on the edge about becoming judges think very very hard.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Archenteron posted:

Is the DCI suffering from some sort of Judge shortage recently? Seriously, between the promos they've shown off already and now those loving lands, they're going to make a lot of wizard poker nerds who were on the edge about becoming judges think very very hard.

Yeah, I just got my L1 cert today and while I have been thinking over it for a while, seeing those pushed me over the edge to take the test.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
It's really regional, some areas have a ton of judges, others have very few. My area has a big surplus of judges since there are several L2s who are willing to mentor anyone who wants to be an L1, but from what I've read the issue in some areas is the shortage of L2s. In order to get to L2, you need Competitive REL experience and an L3 to interview you and administer the test. In some areas there may only be a few Competitive REL events a year and the only L3 could be hundreds of miles away. Of course, if you live in an area without an L2 then it's tougher to get L1s, which compounds the problem. I'm not sure what the solution is, maybe have a dedicated program at GPs where L1s could interview, attend a structured course, judge a side event, and earn the L2 certification in a single weekend without having to coordinate the process themselves.

Konstantin fucked around with this message at 07:46 on May 18, 2014

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

Zorak posted:

For those that missed it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U09xnozP3gQ&hd=1

The Conspiracy video shown at the Protour. It's pretty good and sells Conspiracy excellently.

This was a really fun watch, I kinda wish there were more MTG videos like this with guest drafters and edited down to the interesting parts.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Pro Tour weekend with a ton of announcements and my ongoing review segment is a lovely time for my router to crap out on me. :negative:

Let's Read Journey Into Nyx: Chapter 5

Nikka, our generic spoiled brat with sort-of depths from the last book, is failing miserably to beat Elspeth and Daxos at strategy games. She's got even more brattish since the last book, by the looks, which is pretty strange to me. There were some pretty nasty things happening to her and people around her then, which you would really think ought to give her some maturity. I guess it could be explained as yet another oracle having problems with the Silence? (No, we're never going to get an explanation for her bout of utter idiocy at the end of last book, it seems).

Howard Lyon, Anthousa, Setessan Hero promo, THS

Anthousa barges in. Hi, Anthousa! I dislike your name because its grammar conveys the improper semantic sense for your card. You should be called Anthoumene, a woman who makes plants bloom, instead of Anthousa, a woman who blooms. Greek is complicated, okay? Blooming Woman has come because a child has been bitten by a Nyxborn snake and no-one seems to be able to heal it. Daxos concurs with the Setessan priests' assessment - there's something wrong with the child's soul, not a physical malady.

Jason Da Ro, Peregrination, BNG

Apparently Daxos spent a lot of time at Setessa when he was young, and Anthousa's a sister of sorts to him. Would explain his affinity in the last book for Nylea, though you'd think the author would, like, have mentioned this at all when that was happening. Ah, well.

The three heroes talk a bit about the possibility of the Nyxborn's behaviour since the Silence meaning they're acting as proxies for the gods, in the absence of being able to properly interfere. (In which case the child was attacked by Erebos, his Emissary being the snake?) Daxos suggests they consult Medomai the sphinx, probably the wisest of all mortal creatures on Theros. Some even say he is wiser than the gods, being more grounded in the world. Anthousa dismisses this as heresy, but won't stop them asking.

David Palumbo, Medomai the Ageless, THS

Medomai seems to have kind of been the model for Prognostic Sphinx too, judging by the descriptions. Inside the dome of the Temple of Enlightenment, there's a represenatation of Nyx, which brightens and moves to his command when he comes there. This isn't always taken as a great sign by the people of Meletis, because he tends to appear on the eve of disaster. In this case, he turned up just after the Silence fell and nothing really terrible has happened since, so they've kind of forgotten about him.

Steven Belledin, Prognostic Sphinx, THS

Medomai's intelligence is in part conveyed by his ability to hold a conversation with both the humans at once. This isn't actually intelligent at all because it confuses the hell out of Daxos and Elspeth's puny brains. He talks a bit about Elspeth and Godsend being claimed by Heliod, and about her not getting anything in return - or no 'joy' at least. He inquires after Daxos' mother and chides him for living his life in parallel, whatever that will turn out to mean.

Svetlin Velinov, Temple of Enlightenment, BNG

The sphinx is disappointed in their helplessness without the gods, and amused by Elspeth's proclamation that the divine should not be destructive (contra the realities of Theros). He tells her that she should not wield a blade in service to a god who is foreign to her. Daxos, by turn, is told that he should think more on the beginnings of things, and on a tenet of Heliod ‘What is, is, and ever shall be’. In fact, says the Sphinx, “The people believed, the gods existed, and the trouble began when the gods started believing in each other.”

Noah Bradley, Temple of Mystery, BNG

Eventually Medomai offers some non-metaphysical advice. The God of Time guards the secret to a JOURNEY INTO NYX at his temple. But they should not seek answers from an absent god yet. Instead, they must avert the fall of human civilisation by fending off the minotaur horde which is about to smash Akros. Have fun, kiddies! This time, by the way, it is Mogis who is smashing Akros, as in the Divination art.

Willian Murai, Divination, BNG

I don't really like the bit where Akros' destruction dooms all humans. We know the book's going to have a hugely high-stakes goal already: deiciding an ascended Xenagos. Just leave the natural consequence here - a city slaughtered - and don't bother saying it will cause the downfall of humanity for vague and unspecified reasons. I suspect this is a problem with a book-per-set structure being adapted to two books for the whole block because of an inability to hit deadlines.

Medomai tells Daxos that he should properly answer Elspeth's question about the gods' ability to keep her and their plane safe. And discuss the nature of destiny with her too. Daxos does the same thing Elspeth got mad at him for earlier, speaking only in platitudes and proclamations, but she doesn't have time to be angry with him for no very good reason except the chapter ending. Medomai signs off by condemning Daxos, "Poor two-faced boy, blind, mute, and lying. You’ll never learn.”

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

So the night of day two of the Pro Tour is basically a giant party holy poo poo. I left the hotel at 4 am (site closed at 9). If you guys ever have a PT end up local make sure to check it out, it's amazing.

Edit: Oh and before I forget I managed to meet up with one of the people behind all the Conspiracy ads/spoilers. I told him they were amazing and to keep it up.

minusX fucked around with this message at 09:40 on May 18, 2014

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Forget parties - I want to see LSV surfing during PT honolulu.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Oraculum Animi posted:

Monowhite dudes are always villains, because it's edgy and cool.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
You know who also was Mono-White? THATS RIGHT

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

UberJew posted:

Monowhite dudes are always villains, because it's edgy and cool.

This is how maro gets sway with pro black jokes, making the whites the bad guys.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

When to a little block constructed tournament before game day next week. After reading up on all the Pro Tour JiN stuff and seeing what they were playing, where most of the players here get their ideas, that I should tune my Black Aggro to fight off Reanimator, Mono B, and BUG right out of the gate. Erebos and Underworld Cerberus maindeck because I don't want to be Whip'd and Courser'd to death.

http://deckbox.org/sets/683751

Instead, I was literally the only person of the 8 playing any black, at all. 2 Mono U, RG Monsters, RW Aggro, 2 WU Aggro, and White Weenie. Went 1-2, beating one of the Mono U. After watching those blue decks, I still think that deck can work next block with the Theros stuff for it. The unblockable Merfolk, Bident, Thassa, Master, and the Bestow Harpy are just too good. It will probably turn a little more control-oriented, waiting to deplete opponents instead of out-tempo them.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

They don't have the new frame. Could that mean they're either a very soon and upcoming promo or in conspiracy?

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Let's Read Journey Into Nyx: Chapter 6

Adam Paquette, Akros concept art

Xenagos' grand plan is to build a siege wall around Akros, with the Minotaurs using it as protection against whatever remnants of the Akroan roaming army are left, or against the home guard as they beseige them, depending on where the numbers are. This is pathetic as a revolutionary plan to defeat Akros. Siege walls were well known to the Greeks, and complex developments resulted, with counterwalls built by defenders to interrupt the progress of the siege walls. During the Athenian siege of Syracuse, the attackers even got around to building counter-counterwalls. That Akros is so screwed because of a wall, and that this has explicitly never happened before in the history of Theros, offends me.

Xenagos gets caught, deliberately I'm sure, during one of his excursions planting Nyxborn heads. Cymede, who has been listening in on one of her husband's war counsels through the door, receives this news first and goes to him in the prison.

Willian Murai, Battlewise Hoplite (THS)

Daxos, Anthousa, Nikka and Elspeth travel with the elite Battlewise Hoplites, who move faster than the main army. When they arrive near Akros, the actual officer commanding refuses the advice from Anthousa and Daxos to begin attacks before the main army arrives (which seems sound to me, the Minotaur horde outnumbers this vanguard massively by all indications), so the two heroes are sulking. Then Cymede turns up, having escaped through the river route she used earlier.

Svetlin Velinov, Theros soldier token (THS)

Cymede tells them that they've caught the satyr, who claims that his leaving Nyxborn heads around the place was an attempt to warn the Akroans of the threat that would be posed to them by Mogis' Nyxborn minotaurs. And claims to be an oracle into the bargain. Why anyone would believe this, I don't know. It's irrelevant now, because he's clammed up and will only speak to a woman named Elspeth. Welp. (It seems Xenagos can overcome his distaste for speaking her name if it's necessary).

Daarken, Portent of Betrayal (THS)

Xenagos makes some cryptic hints about Sarpedon, the priest of Phenax Elspeth revealed her Planeswalker status to in book 1, and a new god, but mostly just mindfucks her with magic. He offers a plan whereby the minotaurs just so happen to be perfectly positioned for powerful mages to raise the river Cymede's gorge opens into. Sweep away the minotaur camp, flawless victory, etc.

Willian Murai, Heroes' Podium (BNG)

Anax, Cymede, Elspeth, Anthousa and Daxos meet at the Heroes' Podium. Anax is arguing for challenging the Rageblood to single combat and everyone else is telling him it's stupid because the minotaurs will just keep going. Elspeth proposes the plan, which seems more to have been shoved into her head and onto her tongue by Xenagos, than coming from her. It rolls out without her actively willing it. Everyone thinks it's great, though Anthousa mentions they need a distraction while the river's being raised. Suddenly, the sky outside reveals the starry forms of Iroas and Mogis fighting in the heavens. Anax takes this as a sign he must do the same, and says it will also create the diversion they need.

Jaime Jones, Dictate of the Twin Gods (JOU)

Elspeth goes some of the way with Cymede and Daxos as they prepare to raise the river. Cymede asks Elspeth to be her husband's second in the duel, which Elspeth agrees to while mentioning that she doesn't know any of the duelling etiquette here and will gladly break it all if necessary. Not especially white, but sensible. Daxos and Elspeth have a fleeting and awkward we're-early-in-our-relationship goodbye, then Cymede says that she's going with the man Elspeth loves and Elspeth's going with the man Cymede loves. "Life's short and it's not worth living with regrets."

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

jassi007 posted:

They don't have the new frame. Could that mean they're either a very soon and upcoming promo or in conspiracy?

What I find more interesting is the fact that the art seems almost like a tribute to the old Unglued full-art lands.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

It looks like conspiracy won't work with just regular Swiss which is a real shame. All of the draft impacting mechanics are really cool and look really fun but Magic can get super boring and slow when there are more than two people playing.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Did the coverage seriously refer to a player as a mage?

This was Marshall, I think. We forgive him these things because he is straight up the best commentator on the broadcast team in a variety of ways. He is also possibly my favorite person to listen talk about Magic, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Speaking of Marshall, him covering the quarter final: "ordeal of Purphoros on favored hoplite. This is block constructed."

Boxman fucked around with this message at 14:24 on May 18, 2014

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Jeez, Utter-Leyton was insanely close to stabilizing if he'd ever drawn that third land.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Anybody know good MTGO bots to buy boosters from? The 2 I usually buy from don't have any BNG boosters, and I wanted to draft today, I can't find BNG boosters anywhere actually, dunno what the deal is. :(

Music For Cats
May 30, 2011

Loving Life Partner posted:

Anybody know good MTGO bots to buy boosters from? The 2 I usually buy from don't have any BNG boosters, and I wanted to draft today, I can't find BNG boosters anywhere actually, dunno what the deal is. :(

The GoatBots chain is consistently either the best or reasonable in terms of standard boosters and singles prices. Here's their prices: http://www.goatbots.com/prices.php

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Patrick Chapin's mugshot for this coverage is pretty much Blue Steel. I would be pretty happy to see him win. :allears:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Archenteron posted:

Just the opposite, really. We just hit 5000 judges, so the push for more judges about a year ago is working really well. I have to groan whenever I see awesome judge promos, because I know that the people whose eyes turn to dollar signs when they see them are going to beg me to give them the judge test. Meanwhile, if you're only a level 1 judge - and if you're only in it for the promos, you're not going to judge enough events to become level 2 - you're going to have a hard time getting approved for GPs, which is where the good promos are given out.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Deofuta posted:

Would expecting the movie to take place in the Brothers War era be too much of a stretch? Its more likely that they would focus on the current set of planeswalkers and planes.

They're going to focus on the poo poo that is actually part of the "story" now, not poo poo that will only appeal to people who were playing ten years ago.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Elyv posted:

:psyduck:

I really liked One Piece for a while, but that makes me glad I never watched the dub.

The One Piece rap is loving art, you plebeian.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Literally The Worst posted:

They're going to focus on the poo poo that is actually part of the "story" now, not poo poo that will only appeal to people who were playing ten years ago.

The MTG movie will be as true to the original plot as the Super Mario Bros. movie or Double Dragon movie. I'd be surprised if they follow the source material beyond "there's a mana color difference thing I guess"

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 18, 2014

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Mercury Crusader posted:

The MTG movie will be as true to the original plot as the Super Mario Bros. movie or Double Dragon movie. I'd be surprised if they follow the source material beyond "there's a mana color difference thing I guess"

Can't wait to see Jace summon a big gently caress off fire breathing dragon. :colbert:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Block constructed is a pretty boring format. Even less verity than your typical standard tourney.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Count Bleck posted:

Can't wait to see Jace summon a big gently caress off fire breathing dragon. :colbert:

It might be a phantasmal dragon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Count Bleck posted:

And then it disappears when a Hex Parasite removes all zero of its counters.

• Locked thread