Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Dominic White posted:

I'd love to see some kind of Deterministic Doom mod, though, which cuts or highly reduces the random elements. It's surprising the game is so popular with speedrunners as-is, considering the number of completely random elements involved.

Many speedrunners prefer a degree of RNG that forces them to improvise in small ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Kazvall posted:

As said before, the hexen RPG mod adds tons of weapons to the core classes of the game in the form of skills and adds two new classes. It has a stat system as well as the skill tree/level system and adds a unique ability to mix different potions together through alchemy. Its also compatible with heretic and doom.

You could play with samsara as hexen guy having all the hexen weapons, indeed.

Try that poo poo out goons! Experience hexen without the negatives.

E: I'm talking about wrath of chronos for zandronum, actually.http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1224

Yo thanks for recommending this, it's really really awesome.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Internet Friend posted:

Many speedrunners prefer a degree of RNG that forces them to improvise in small ways.

Yeah, it means the game doesn't devolve into shot counting. You get risk-reward elements where a point-blank SSG blast has about a 50/50 chance of stunning an archie if all pellets hit, and you have time to get about two blasts off before it fries you- so that's about a 25% of you being dead if you decide to rush it with a SSG and take it out quick. Have fun.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Yeah, it means the game doesn't devolve into shot counting. You get risk-reward elements where a point-blank SSG blast has about a 50/50 chance of stunning an archie if all pellets hit, and you have time to get about two blasts off before it fries you- so that's about a 25% of you being dead if you decide to rush it with a SSG and take it out quick. Have fun.

Except the same movements give the same results every time in Doom... it's all perfectly predictable based on your movements.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Cat Mattress posted:

That's the real problem. Everyone focuses on the four weapons, but really, modern Doom gameplay also has only four weapons:
1. Berserk
2. SSG
3. Rocket launcher
4. BFG 9000

I wouldn't count the chaingun out. It's excellent for sniping lower level enemies across great distances if you know how to use it properly (in 2-shot bursts).

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I just end up using the normal shotgun most of the time. Super shotgun goes through ammo wayyyy too quickly. Great for taking down Barons of Hell though.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Install Windows posted:

Except the same movements give the same results every time in Doom... it's all perfectly predictable based on your movements.

Yeah, but good loving luck trying to input the exact same movements every time, or, for that matter, more than once.

There are a shitload of things that can trigger an RNG call, so there's absolutely no way to game it outside of TASes.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Convex posted:

The latest episode of retro gaming podcast Back in my Play has David Kushner on to talk about writing Masters of Doom. Never listened to it before but sounds like this one could be pretty interesting.

"So, how many paragraphs about barbecuing hot dogs next to a lake were cut from the final draft?"

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Zero Star posted:

Also, I was browsing the Doom Wiki and stumbled across Unholy Realms from last year. Pretty good so far, the levels are fairly small - even the 'big fight' maps have around 200 monsters at most.

SavageMessiah posted:

Yeah, I really enjoyed that one and recommended it many pages back. I'll also second the recommendation of Coffee Break that was made a little while ago.

I've come on here to recommend Unholy Realms before, as well. It's seriously just a satisfying MegaWAD: Maps that aren't too big/small, enemy counts that feel just "right", a reasonable attention to aesthetics, and a robust challenge (at least on UV).

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

mod sassinator posted:

I just end up using the normal shotgun most of the time. Super shotgun goes through ammo wayyyy too quickly. Great for taking down Barons of Hell though.

Yeah but SSG is more ammo-efficient. An SSG blast uses two shells but triples damage, so it's almost always a better choice given that in most wads you're more than likely going to be firing either into an enemy with high hp or a crowd.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Install Windows posted:

Ah yes, everything is predictable given frame perfect movement from the very start of the map. This is something that is going to happen outside of a TAS.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Why is it still a popular thing that WAD authors use music from random games and not have a dude make something new?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Commander Keenan posted:

Why is it still a popular thing that WAD authors use music from random games and not have a dude make something new?

There's a lot more ripped music from random games than there are musicians in the Doom community?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Korendian Leader posted:

Ah yes, everything is predictable given frame perfect movement from the very start of the map. This is something that is going to happen outside of a TAS.

This is in fact things people do for the .LMP competitions. Remember that the record mode cuts your freedom of movement down by half which makes it easier.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Commander Keenan posted:

It can be kind of entertaining. Playing WG Realms 2 is basically trainspotting, finding all the different assets the guy ripped from various games. It stretches the gamut of Age of Empires to Perfect Dark.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Cat Mattress posted:

That's the real problem. Everyone focuses on the four weapons, but really, modern Doom gameplay also has only four weapons:
1. Berserk
2. SSG
3. Rocket launcher
4. BFG 9000

Nah definitely not. Chaingun is great for certain enemy types and sometimes you've just got a ton of bullets piling up and not a lot of other things. The Plasma is pretty useful in a few situations, and it's more ammo efficient than the BFG on any single target other than the bosses, which can matter on some low-ammo maps.

Regular shotgun is way, way better than the SSG for any long distance shooting. There are tons of maps that love to put imps/humans on ledges far away so this comes up a lot. Also as mentioned, it's more ammo efficient against single target humans/imps and can often even kill multiple humans in a single shot.

The pistol is the only weapon that gets directly replaced, because the Chaingun is just straight up better than it with no downsides. Other than the fact that the chaingun has to fire in 2 shot bursts.

I kind of wish in Doom 2 they would have moved the Chaingun to the 2 hotkey to replace the Pistol, and moved the SSG to the 4th slot.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 17, 2014

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Also the plasma rifle becomes pretty useful when you start pistol-starting maps and don't always have a BFG to fall back on.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Install Windows posted:

This is in fact things people do for the .LMP competitions. Remember that the record mode cuts your freedom of movement down by half which makes it easier.
What competitions? Some specific examples would be good too.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I can really only imagine it being even close to practical for something like Map01.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Commander Keenan posted:

It's the same reason a lot of wad authors use edited sprites and not have a dude make something new, or the same reason a lot of gameplay mods don't come with brand new maps.
Being able to make a good X doesn't mean you can make a good Y, too. Or that you can find someone who can make a good Y.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TerminusEst13 posted:

Or that you can find someone who can make a good Y.

Or that you can finding someone who can make a good Y and will do it for free.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Install Windows posted:

Unless its a TAS, there is still RNG. No human is going to have precise enough movements to get fully deterministic damage rolls. There are some games where the RNG can be manipulated like this, but for the purposes of doom its just plain random as far as human player is concerned.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm almost positive monster AI, especially when they're active, but can't see the player (something that happens all the time in a speedrun), triggers p_random calls, as do certain types of flickering lights. It is utterly impractical to try to predict except maybe in a TAS.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Wadjamaloo posted:

Unless its a TAS, there is still RNG. No human is going to have precise enough movements to get fully deterministic damage rolls. There are some games where the RNG can be manipulated like this, but for the purposes of doom its just plain random as far as human player is concerned.

Yeah, and sometimes very random, as pointed out above. There are common enemies that are practically a coin-toss as to whether they'll just soak up bullets without a word, or nuke you for two thirds of your health. That's the kind of RNG that speedrunners despise, and it speaks well of how great the rest of Doom is that this isn't too huge an obstacle to speedrunning.

So, yeah, a mod that makes the game more predictable (if not fully deterministic) might be interesting. At a core level it shouldn't change much, as it would just be using the base average weapon damage levels.

If there's no chance of weapons randomly doing extra-high damage, the pain system would have to be altered, of course. It'd be an interesting challenge to find something that feels like it happens as often as the old system without being random.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The nature of the SSG, the most commonly-used gun in the game, helps significantly- since it triggers a separate P_Random call for each pellet, for a total of 20 P-Random calls, the damage range is much more concentrated toward the middle than other guns.

Here's the SSG histogram:

And, to contrast, the histogram for the damage done by a single plasma rifle projectile.

Even here, though, it doesn't really matter since you're not firing one plasma shot ever, you're firing off a ton, which makes the variation in damage much less noticeable (even rockets are usually fired in bursts against tough enemies). That's why it's only really noticeable with the berserk fist- it's basically the one high damage "single-shot" weapon in the game (the BFG's tracers, plus the sheer amount of damage it does, also makes the effect of the pRNG less noticeable).

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

tuluk posted:

heretic 2 was a 3rd person shooter set in a fantasy world with magical plague.
standard doom/heretic red key/blue gem/yellow macguffin fetch-quest gameplay.
melee combat was good, and you could level up your staff & weapons with runes.
I recall the last boss fight being annoying.

Heretic 2 was really fun and mp was a blast, sadly the only way to get it is to find an old retail copy. If it showed in steam would be an instant purchase, but a GOG release with some bugfixing would be awesome.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

haveblue posted:

Or that you can finding someone who can make a good Y and will do it for free.
This. I don't hide that all of my mods have a ton of borrowed content. It's pretty hard to explain why it's just seen as normal, to non-modders or people new to the whole classic game scene. If you have the time and talent to create hundreds of textures, new monsters/weapons, sounds and music than you're probably going to want to put that time into something you can get a return of your time investment in via actual money. You get the rare person who does do stuff like that for free, but for most people just putting together a mash of different resources is a way to make modding more interesting for themselves (and be able to add new things without worrying about art or whatever)

It's best to avoid those mods if you can't overlook the content, it's just something that bugs some people and not others. There's still plenty of mods with original content (Like of course Back to Saturn's original textures and music) to play with as well.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Korendian Leader posted:

What competitions? Some specific examples would be good too.

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?dir=lmps/COMPET-N/

Wadjamaloo posted:

Ok are you not understanding that the keyboard exists, and that there's no vertical aiming and restricted horizontal mouse resolution in demo mode?

Perhaps you people are too used to blatantly engine breaking ports like Zdoom.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Segmentation Fault posted:

Jazz Jackrabbit 2: The Secret Files (a Europe only expansion) sold so poorly that it was basically responsible for Gathering of Developers' demise.

Man I really need to finish that LP project.

I loved JJ1 as a kid and didn't know Jazz Jackrabbit 2 existed until just recently. Still haven't managed to find a copy.

Advertising is important, mkay?

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Anyone else play Wolf3D on iOS? It's a steal at 99¢ and comes with Spear of Destiny 1 built in. Sadly, the controls on a touchscreen makes a couple of the levels almost impossible. You have to strafe by tilting the device and it just isn't responsive enough to avoid some boss attacks. I still can't beat the Angel of Death.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Wolf3D playable in browser:
http://3d.wolfenstein.com/

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Former Human posted:

Anyone else play Wolf3D on iOS? It's a steal at 99¢ and comes with Spear of Destiny 1 built in. Sadly, the controls on a touchscreen makes a couple of the levels almost impossible. You have to strafe by tilting the device and it just isn't responsive enough to avoid some boss attacks. I still can't beat the Angel of Death.

There's an alternate control scheme that uses tilting to turn, and has a D-Pad for moving and strafing.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

i can not recall Compet-N players exploiting the RNG except perhaps in absolute edge cases (like TASing MAP01), because, like i said, so much poo poo triggers p_random calls, including poo poo that has nothing to do with the player, that it would be utterly impractical. not even that, but the possible benefit would be utterly marginal due to the nature of weapon damage output.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
like, when you shoot an SSG at a monster, it calls P_Random twice for every pellet that hits- once for damage, and once for pain chance. so that's 40 steps in the array for every perfect SSG hit, and that's not accounting for every time you don't hit correctly, and the RNG is constantly getting called anyway because the level has a "random flash" sector, and for monster AI behavior, and probably a ton of other poo poo. Compet-N speedrunners are good but nobody is loving gaming the RNG to that extent for utterly marginal benefits

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Keiya posted:

I loved JJ1 as a kid and didn't know Jazz Jackrabbit 2 existed until just recently. Still haven't managed to find a copy.

Advertising is important, mkay?

You're most likely not going to get Jazz 2 legally until Epic decides to throw the Jazz series up on GoG, which it seriously needs to do.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
You used to be able to order it or any other early Epic game on a cd from Tim Sweeney's dad, but the site vanished last year.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

The Kins posted:

There's an alternate control scheme that uses tilting to turn, and has a D-Pad for moving and strafing.

That's even worse! Even with sensitivity and speed set to 100 it's just too slow.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Install Windows posted:

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?dir=lmps/COMPET-N/

Ok are you not understanding that the keyboard exists, and that there's no vertical aiming and restricted horizontal mouse resolution in demo mode?

Perhaps you people are too used to blatantly engine breaking ports like Zdoom.
Okay, it's quite clear you have no idea what you're talking about.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Korendian Leader posted:

Okay, it's quite clear you have no idea what you're talking about.

Fishmeched again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Summer Games Done Quick 2014 is five weeks out, but I figured I'd look to see what they had planned for early FPSes. It's not a single solid block like it was in January, but they'll do most of the same games. Of note:

Goldeneye and Doom 64 on Thursday, June 26;
Heretic, Ultimate Doom, and Quake on Friday, June 27;
Half-Life and Half-Life 2 on Saturday, June 28.