Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'd watch her eat beans through a screen door. Everyone's got an arsehole opinion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Team Caity. :colbert:

And I realise this matters even less than her stuntwork, but she also comes off really well and seems to have a lot of fun with the rest of the cast based on her Twitter things that Arrow fans have posted.

Deadpool posted:

That's what upfront trailers do. They're not designed for us to see. They're designed for advertisers so usually they're a complete summary of the pilot.
Wait, this is a thing? Is it just so advertisers can know the tone of the show or whatever? (On that note, you would athletics companies and shoe manufacturers would be alllll overrrr The Flash right now) Do they normally release these trailers?

Jackson Taus posted:

He did. Then he freed Sarah and they were making a bee-line out when he was like "wait, I can't leave Slade, go without me" and then she went with him.
Really? Fair enough, my bad. That explains some Ollie Brand Guilt, but I still think it was a narratively disappointing ending to that arc anyway.

toomanyninjas posted:

Speaking of Caity Lotz, it's now kind of jarring to go back and watch the pilot with a different actress in that role.
Yeah, you can see that was such a dodgy retcon. They were definitely not planning that from the get go. The way it's presented is some pretty definite death.

greatn posted:

Bonus for season 3: Maybe now no one will ever have to say mirakuru again
Yes! I finally got used to it, but goddamn that was dumb.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

I keep seeing it mentioned how much people hate "Mirakuru", but I seem to keep missing why they hate it? Is it a poor Japanese translation or something? To me it sounded fine (if not somewhat cool). Just personal taste or is there something else about it?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
It's that it's 100% obvious that this is a bastardization of "miracle", like "miracle drug", but they refer to it like it's a proper noun, some dude just named this drug "Mirakuru" like it's a brand name.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Yeah, it just sounds absolutely retardedly awkward.

Everytime anyone says mirikuru I keep waiting for a fedora to appear on their head and have them tip it at the camera.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Syrg Sapphire posted:

It's that it's 100% obvious that this is a bastardization of "miracle", like "miracle drug", but they refer to it like it's a proper noun, some dude just named this drug "Mirakuru" like it's a brand name.

Drifter posted:

Everytime anyone says mirikuru I keep waiting for a fedora to appear on their head and have them tip it at the camera.

That's fair enough. Thanks!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I still think that despite what Guggenheim claims, Mirakuru is going to end up being involved in the Hourman series, eventually becoming the safe version Miraclo.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

Drifter posted:

M'ladykuru.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Syrg Sapphire posted:

It is exactly this. It's converting "Miracle" into sounds the Japanese language can make. It is easily my least favorite thing about this show.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Rhyno posted:

I still think that despite what Guggenheim claims, Mirakuru is going to end up being involved in the Hourman series, eventually becoming the safe version Miraclo.

I knew wasn't the only one who saw a potential connection!

mikeycp posted:

It is exactly this. It's converting "Miracle" into sounds the Japanese language can make. It is easily my least favorite thing about this show.

It also demonstrates the kind of 'if its said in Japanese these way, it must be that way Romanised!' logic that exists in parts of the anime fan. See also: Hellsing, where many fans render the main character's name as Arucard, even though even the mangaka has noted its meant to be a reverse of Dracula, and thus, Alucard. Its not even like its the only case of fiction pulling this idea.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think the stinger for season 3 should be Slade in his cell, the camera slowly zooms into his plotting face when he suddenly smacks his forehead. "OH! Mirakuru means miracle! I'm just gonna call it that from now on!"

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."

Astro Nut posted:

It also demonstrates the kind of 'if its said in Japanese these way, it must be that way Romanised!' logic that exists in parts of the anime fan. See also: Hellsing, where many fans render the main character's name as Arucard, even though even the mangaka has noted its meant to be a reverse of Dracula, and thus, Alucard. Its not even like its the only case of fiction pulling this idea.

Both Mirakuru and Arucard are because most people don't know that the Japanese 'r' sound isn't hard like in English. It's softer and halfway between an l and an r sound. That's what bothers me about Mirakuru the most.

As for more relevant content, I thought the finale was badass! And the Flash promo too! I have had more friends go and check out the show purely because of how much I've been praising the show.

One thing I would like to see in The Flash is a lighter tone than Arrow. Flash has always seemed to me to be a more light-hearted take on powers rather than Batman or what we see in Arrow. A lighter colour palette and a few jokes (or speed-related puns) here and there.

X13Fen fucked around with this message at 13:29 on May 18, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

bentacos posted:

M'ladykuru.
Ahahaha.
:chord:

Uber Kosh posted:

One thing I would like to see in The Flash is a lighter tone than Arrow. Flash has always seemed to me to be a more light-hearted take on powers rather than Batman or what we see in Arrow. A lighter colour palette and a few jokes (or speed-related puns) here and there.

Oh GOD I'm late AGAIN to our date! I'm so sorry, Iris! *winks at camera*

Drifter fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 18, 2014

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS
Oh boy, more loan word pedantry?! :yum:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Crunk Abortion posted:

Oh boy, more loan word pedantry?! :yum:

The people complaining about the word are almost as bad. Fedora? Really? Who cares. It's par for the course concerning comics.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

greatn posted:

Bonus for season 3: Maybe now no one will ever have to say mirakuru again

At least until Grundy comes back from the dead.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!
Hey, it starts with 'mirakuru,' but if we don't keep these loanwords in check we'll soon have people going off the rails about 'tycoon' and 'karaoke!'

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Krad posted:

At least until Grundy comes back from the dead.

The Grundy reference was such a cocktease this season, I really hope he shows up for an episode in Season 3. Grundy doesn't even need Batman, like Deadshot, so it's perfect for Arrow.

I'd also like a two-parter where Green Arrow teams up with Knight and Squire because that's...that's like a medieval weapons mash-up!

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

greatn posted:

I think the stinger for season 3 should be Slade in his cell, the camera slowly zooms into his plotting face when he suddenly smacks his forehead. "OH! Mirakuru means miracle! I'm just gonna call it that from now on!"

Hahahaha.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

greatn posted:

This would be a better character arc than the finale gave him. :smith:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Alone, in a cell underground on the island, tears of rage welling up as he rails against his fate, is a pretty good end to this part of his arc

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

VagueRant posted:

This would be a better character arc than the finale gave him. :smith:

What would have been a better arc? This one seemed technically fine. Are you upset because you wanted a happy ending for him or something?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Astro Nut posted:

It's not just Anime fans, it's something that's irked me since The Ring remake. Almost everyone I've come across keeps calling the Japanese version Ringu. It's more that there's a lack of understanding that's it's simply a Japanese pronunciation of an English word using the Japanese character set and that you shouldn't be calling it that. The easiest way I've got them to stop is by getting them to think about how their names are pronounced/written and how silly it would sound if they started saying it that way.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Kin posted:

It's not just Anime fans, it's something that's irked me since The Ring remake. Almost everyone I've come across keeps calling the Japanese version Ringu. It's more that there's a lack of understanding that's it's simply a Japanese pronunciation of an English word using the Japanese character set and that you shouldn't be calling it that. The easiest way I've got them to stop is by getting them to think about how their names are pronounced/written and how silly it would sound if they started saying it that way.

To be fair, though, it could also just be shorthand now that there are multiple language movies with the same name. Being able to say Ringu instead of The Original Japanese Version Of The Ring movie is a lot easier.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Drifter posted:

To be fair, though, it could also just be shorthand now that there are multiple language movies with the same name. Being able to say Ringu instead of The Original Japanese Version Of The Ring movie is a lot easier.

When i say The Ring, i'm never referencing the lovely US ones :colbert:

But, yeah, I get where you're coming from. I saw The Ring (Japanese) first (and it's a better version) so its what I've always called it.

It's the same thing with Troll Hunter and Let the Right One In or whatever it's called.

Anyway, Mirakuru is a stupid mispronounced name. I kinda hoped that Felicity would have gotten all geeky about it and refused to call it anything other than Miracle throughout the show just to wind the other characters up. Plus it could have provided a funny/badass line for her to use on Slade at the end: "It's called Miracle you one eyed moron" before stabbing him with the cure.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Did we ever find out why the WW2 soldiers had deformed skulls? That wasn't a side effect of it we saw in anyone else.

Pigbog
Apr 28, 2005

Unless that is Spider-man if Spider-man were a backyard wrestler or Kurt Cobain, your costume looks shitty.

Kin posted:

Man, everyone is entitled to their opinion but I cannot conceive of anyone actually watching both movies and preferring the japanese one.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Aphrodite posted:

Did we ever find out why the WW2 soldiers had deformed skulls? That wasn't a side effect of it we saw in anyone else.

Yeah, they were the result of unperfected versions of Mirakuru in the process of creating the modern drug.

Dogeatdog
Jun 17, 2005

Kin posted:

Anyway, Mirakuru is a stupid mispronounced name. I kinda hoped that Felicity would have gotten all geeky about it and refused to call it anything other than Miracle throughout the show just to wind the other characters up.

Yeah, but Mirakuru rolls off the tongue a lot better than just calling it Miracle. That just would sound clunky as gently caress in the show.

I also look foward to them spending time to giving the correct pronunciation on their drug that brings people back to life and gives them super strength. That's what was really missing this season.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ravane posted:

Yeah, they were the result of unperfected versions of Mirakuru in the process of creating the modern drug.

Isn't the timeline:
Japan makes the drug - Transports it on a sub - Sub ends up on the island - Crew takes up residence in that cave?

Eddain
May 6, 2007
I'm hoping the reveal for season 1 of The Flash is that he was the one he saw when he was a kid.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Eddain posted:

I'm hoping the reveal for season 1 of The Flash is that he was the one he saw when he was a kid.

Same here.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Flash discovers Mom is dodecaHitler and only by going back in time to murder her can he save the world.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Kin posted:

But, yeah, I get where you're coming from. I saw The Ring (Japanese) first (and it's a better version) so its what I've always called it.

It's the same thing with Troll Hunter and Let the Right One In or whatever it's called.

Anyway, Mirakuru is a stupid mispronounced name. I kinda hoped that Felicity would have gotten all geeky about it and refused to call it anything other than Miracle throughout the show just to wind the other characters up. Plus it could have provided a funny/badass line for her to use on Slade at the end: "It's called Miracle you one eyed moron" before stabbing him with the cure.

I hope you pronounce karaoke as "karaorca" because the "oke" part is short for "orchestra", and you wouldn't want to just use some dumb foreign mispronunciation of an English word.

This just isn't the same issue as dumb japanophiles, they are in fact just being dumb. I'm sorry it annoys people so, but reborrowing is a real thing that happens and you ends up with doublets but that's all right. This kind of thing is how new words are created and it's not a problem that needs to be fixed.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
No, man. It's just sounding silly the way a Texan pronounces normal words in a Texas accent. I don't give a poo poo about loan words or borrowing, it's just silly when Amell or anyone with an American accent says "Meerakooroo" and then grits their jaw. I don't care what it's called.

Anyway, what did happen to Sin? Was she just written out for a while, or did her actress get another role or what? I mean she and Sara were pretty much living together for the longest time and now is she just out on the streets again?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Drifter posted:

No, man. It's just sounding silly the way a Texan pronounces normal words in a Texas accent. I don't give a poo poo about loan words or borrowing, it's just silly when Amell or anyone with an American accent says "Meerakooroo" and then grits their jaw. I don't care what it's called.

Ah that makes sense then, if a word sounds stupid to you then hey, that's how it is, and I can completely see what you mean. I got used to it eventually but I admit it does sound weird in an American accent like that.

Drifter posted:

Anyway, what did happen to Sin? Was she just written out for a while, or did her actress get another role or what? I mean she and Sara were pretty much living together for the longest time and now is she just out on the streets again?

Well I guess Sara figures she's an adult now and has some good support from friends like Roy & Thea (lol), and she's pretty street smart, so she'll probably be able to get by on her own.

I like her though, I hope she comes back.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Sara didn't even say goodbye to Sin. :/ We all know Sara's gonna 'die' like she does every time she's on a boat.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Alternate idea for Team Roy in season 3: Sin and Roy go to track down Sara after evil Thea shows up. This leads to Sin getting assassin training, since any friend of Sara's is a friend of her somewhat terrifying girlfriend. Or something?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Warmachine posted:

Alternate idea for Team Roy in season 3: Sin and Roy go to track down Sara after evil Thea shows up. This leads to Sin getting assassin training, since any friend of Sara's is a friend of her somewhat terrifying girlfriend. Or something?

Y'know, Roy & Thea are both gonna be crappy fighters so maybe they'd actually make good opponents for eachother as they learn the ropes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't know if anyone of you follow Colton or Emily on FB or Twitter but it would appear they are indeed and item and they're loving adorable.

• Locked thread