Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Frankly I would suggest that all officially hosted mods must be freely distributed in source form, cannot be monetised, and must be freely available to make derivatives of, so long as the work is attributed.

I really think that allowing or encouraging people to close everything for the sake of making a few pennies on adfly revenue is kinda silly, and encourages the wrong atmosphere. If everyone can crib and copy from everyone else it'd probably result in a much better set of mods in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Avenging Dentist posted:

I think the last time this came up, I suggested the following:

• Stuff hosted on official KSP channels (forums, Spaceport/Curse) should have an OSI-approved license to allow other players to fork mods (especially important for abandoned ones). This does mean that modders can go after people for plagiarizing their work (i.e. not giving the original authors credit), but they can't go after people for a properly-attributed fork.
  • Donation links are fine, but only on the mod's page on Spaceport/Curse or in the OP of the forum thread. It should be made clear that the donation is purely-voluntary and confers no additional features.

I think that gives modders a fair amount of control (and some opportunity to make a bit of money) while still keeping players' interests in mind.

I think this is the way to go.
Force open-sauce and make sure you retain authority and the power to delete the thread/curse entry for mods that violate your agreement.

Remember it's your game!

Edit: I agree with the above post: allowing members of the community to fork mods is better than allowing members of the community to monetise mods. It'd be much easier for everyone if someone could just fix up the b9 pack without worrying about mod drama.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I think there are plenty of people who will make cool mods for this game without getting any kind of financial compensation or "honor" or whatever. The basis for any modding should be that it is for free and nobody gets to own any of it.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
Also make sure to put in :argh:GIANT ANGRY RED TEXT:argh: that modders are liable for any and all damages caused by their coding,
I emphasize the :argh:GIANT ANGRY RED TEXT:argh: because there are lots of lazy and stupid people out there that will just skim through legal agreements.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

coldpudding posted:

Also make sure to put in :argh:GIANT ANGRY RED TEXT:argh: that modders are liable for any and all damages caused by their coding,
I emphasize the :argh:GIANT ANGRY RED TEXT:argh: because there are lots of lazy and stupid people out there that will just skim through legal agreements.

That seems like a bit much.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Germstore posted:

That seems like a bit much.
You overestimate people's reading comprehension.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Robzilla posted:

You overestimate people's reading comprehension.

I mean the liability for any and all damages part.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

coldpudding posted:

Damages? What kind of damage?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Met posted:

Damages? What kind of damage?

Software rich combustion.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Explain?

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
idiots mostly.

Say for example you are a youtube megastar and you have a massive series going on and you install a mod and it corrupts your save irrepairably. Your unreasonable fans abandon you and you lose out on that sweet youtube advertising empire. Then, probably because you're an idiot, you come crying to squad and/or litigating.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Shanakin posted:

idiots mostly.

Say for example you are a youtube megastar and you have a massive series going on and you install a mod and it corrupts your save irrepairably. Your unreasonable fans abandon you and you lose out on that sweet youtube advertising empire. Then, probably because you're an idiot, you come crying to squad and/or litigating.

:what:

Does this need a rule? Why should modders give two shits if some player lost their save? Why would they need to be liable for that, no matter who the player is?

Make backups.

Don't even address it in any sort of rule for modders.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Met posted:

:what:

Does this need a rule? Why should modders give two shits if some player lost their save? Why would they need to be liable for that, no matter who the player is?

Make backups.

Don't even address it in any sort of rule for modders.
You need to go play Minecraft back when Foresty had the exploding bees code.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

coldpudding posted:

No, the modders shouldn't be liable, neither should squad. Mod licences should just have "USE AT YOUR OWN RISK" clauses.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Robzilla posted:

You need to go play Minecraft back when Foresty had the exploding bees code.

Googled real quick. Here's some melodramatic :spergin:.

quote:

Long ago, Notch made Minecraft, and everything was good. It was fun, and everyone was happy.
Then, people started making mods. The great titans of the mods rose in that era, the staples of the automation experience. Buildcraft, IndustrialCraft, and Redpower. Slowly others followed: Forestry, Thaumcraft, Portal Gun, and many more.
However, the people complained. Installing mods themselves was too hard, they said. And so, a group of people released the mods they had been compiling and making compatible. And the people were satisfied, for a while.
But then, the titans of the mods notices, and were angry. They were losing traffic and revenue to their sites, losing attention and recognition. They first made a polite request for their mods to be removed. The Technic Pakkers consented, but alas, they lied.
This war of begging went on for a long time...
Until, the conflict came to a head.
Sengir, developer of Forestry, added EXPLOSIVE BEES to his mod, which awakened from their slumber when the presence of the vile Technic launcher was present. And so, his mod was removed.
Now there is peace for SirSengir. But alas, the people still complain about Forestry's removal, and raise a din in the night, giving him no peace.
But a day shall come when the reign of Technic is ended-forever.

Some players characters died and thus :argh: modders are liable for any and all damages caused by their coding :argh:?

Get over it?

Splode posted:

No, the modders shouldn't be liable, neither should squad. Mod licences should just have "USE AT YOUR OWN RISK" clauses.

Yeah, this.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
However, including any sort of piggyback spyware or malware should be zero loving tolerance.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
Mods cannot be :filez:

No copyright infringement bullshit for rehosting mods.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

SocketSeven posted:

Mods cannot be :filez:

No copyright infringement bullshit for rehosting mods.

I don't .... I don't understand that gif? The sentence is clear enough but ... what the hell does "filez" mean?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
:filez:=warezz=illegaly distributed software=pirated poo poo

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"

double nine posted:

I don't .... I don't understand that gif? The sentence is clear enough but ... what the hell does "filez" mean?

it doesn't contain any illegal / copyrighted (not copyrighted by the author) material.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

double nine posted:

Filez is SA shorthand for software piracy.

So, mods cannot be software pirated, if people rehost your mod it isn't a crime.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Filez is SA shorthand for software piracy.

So, mods cannot be software pirated, if people rehost your mod it isn't a crime.

Gotcha. Thanks.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
Not sure why you feel it's so dramatic It's bog standard catch all clause you get along with use at your own risk at the other end of things, hopefully it means no one points the finger squarely at squad if some jerk piggybacks spyware on his stuff or somehow manages to gently caress over the mod database.
also :argh:USE AT YOUR OWN RISK:argh: can be angry red text but stuff like, :angel:you have the right to known as the creator of your work:angel: can be in happy green text

edit : how do I put this plainly, the mod user accepts that they use the mod at their own risk

second the mod maker must understand that they may not upload any malicious code

coldpudding fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 18, 2014

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

coldpudding posted:

Not sure why you feel it's so dramatic It's bog standard catch all clause you get along with use at your own risk at the other end of things, hopefully it means no one points the finger squarely at squad if some jerk piggybacks spyware on his stuff or somehow manages to gently caress over the mod database.
also :argh:USE AT YOUR OWN RISK:argh: can be angry red text but stuff like, :angel:you have the right to known as the creator of your work:angel: can be in happy green text

Did you mean to say "players are liable" because you said "modders are liable?" If I were to write a mod I sure as hell would not release it under an agreement that would create liability for me.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
Players are fully responsible for all damages caused to modders, including but not limited to butthurt, burns, and whine stains. :jeb:

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

coldpudding posted:

That's the nice thing about OSI licenses: most of them disclaim any warranty of the code being any good, and they also require that you give proper credit to the creator. Squad should definitely leverage the fact that thousands of other programmers want a license like that and just say "use an OSI-approved license" (maybe with a couple of suggested licenses like MIT and GPL). That should make the legalese a bit easier.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Avenging Dentist posted:

That's the nice thing about OSI licenses: most of them disclaim any warranty of the code being any good, and they also require that you give proper credit to the creator. Squad should definitely leverage the fact that thousands of other programmers want a license like that and just say "use an OSI-approved license" (maybe with a couple of suggested licenses like MIT and GPL). That should make the legalese a bit easier.

Further stipulate (even though it should be unnecessary) that the license must allow forks/derivative works/incorporation into other mods.
Just to really stick it to the rear end in a top hat mod makers.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
  • Mods must use some flavor of MIT/BSD or GPL license. These licenses are well designed and have many years of use in real world code. They implicitly allow forking and assure no warranty over the code.
  • Mods must only contain content that you have the rights to distribute.
  • Mods must not try to negatively interfere with the operation of another mod on purpose. Things might happen accidentally, especially if a player installs two mods that modify the same game parameters.
  • No in game monetization. No donation links and such in game, use the features provided by Curse.
  • Squad reserves the right to do whatever they drat well please catch all term.

Giving a choice over license might not even be necessary. Just say anything produced for KSP explicitly uses the MIT License and stop worrying about licensing issues entirely. You make any mod for KSP, its MIT licensed from the get go, you don't have a say in the matter. The "MY CODE!!! YOU DON'T HAVE PERMISSION!!!!" types will just have to deal or go elsewhere.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 18, 2014

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Mods with additional parts generally have new art assets. Depending on the license, a mod maker could be required to include the original 3d modeler and texture maps in addition to the exported Unity files.

Playing Devil's advocate here because of the way the GPL defines "source" files. If you do allow GPL licensed mods you should probably get a lawyer's opinion on how to ensure the mod maker is the "distributor" in the license terms and not Squad or Curse. And what implications a GPL'd mod linking against the closed source KSP would mean :psyduck: ... maybe you just shouldn't allow the GPL.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Was there an issue with a mod maker putting in game donations in their mod? That's ridiculous. I support anything that keeps a bunch of irrational entitled fucks from holding mods hostage and creating a toxic mod community over pennies, as with Minecraft. I think DSauer's recommendations are good ones.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Copy the MIT license, call it the Kerman license. All mods released for KSP are Kerman licensed by default.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

TasogareNoKagi posted:

Mods with additional parts generally have new art assets. Depending on the license, a mod maker could be required to include the original 3d modeler and texture maps in addition to the exported Unity files.

Playing Devil's advocate here because of the way the GPL defines "source" files. If you do allow GPL licensed mods you should probably get a lawyer's opinion on how to ensure the mod maker is the "distributor" in the license terms and not Squad or Curse. And what implications a GPL'd mod linking against the closed source KSP would mean :psyduck: ... maybe you just shouldn't allow the GPL.

And yeah honestly screw the GPL. The moment you GPL something everything derived from it is also GPL'd without you having a choice in the matter. It is a licensed designed to enforce copyleft. And technically the KSP assemblies we reference in our own code would have to also be GPL to make it work. Its nice that the GPL does force the sharing of code upstream, but that's not really relevant for KSP. How many mod forks are there that are being developed concurrently with their parent Mod?

MIT/BSD is just great. Its basically a "Do whatever the hell you want" license with some warranty. It doesn't force sharing code modifications but given KSP mods are only functional in KSP, its not like we have to worry about some corporation fixing bugs in the code branch they use and then sitting on the changes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ohgodwhat posted:

Was there an issue with a mod maker putting in game donations in their mod? That's ridiculous. I support anything that keeps a bunch of irrational entitled fucks from holding mods hostage and creating a toxic mod community over pennies, as with Minecraft. I think DSauer's recommendations are good ones.

There’s a PayPal button in the toolbar plugin, which happens to be a dependency for a lot of other mods.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

DSauer posted:

And yeah honestly screw the GPL. The moment you GPL something everything derived from it is also GPL'd without you having a choice in the matter. It is a licensed designed to enforce copyleft. And technically the KSP assemblies we reference in our own code would have to also be GPL to make it work. Its nice that the GPL does force the sharing of code upstream, but that's not really relevant for KSP. How many mod forks are there that are being developed concurrently with their parent Mod?

GPL is a perfectly acceptable choice for a mod (for instance, you want to use a GPL library in your mod), and I don't think it would cause KSP to be GPLed either. It's not like emacs on Windows requires Windows runtimes to be GPL. Also, if GPL can't be used for this reason, it's the modder's problem, not Squad's.

In any case, if you want to host the mod on official sites, you'd have to allow sharing the code upstream, since your fork had to be open source to be posted on the official site. GPL doesn't really do anything extra there.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

BMS posted:

That is crazy. You can successfully get that entire thing into orbit in one go? Wow, I'm impressed. Although I have to ask, if it wouldn't be easier to just send it up in parts, and assemble it in orbit. I'm still working on getting the kinks out of reliable interplanetary travel to places other than Duna though, so please don't take that as a criticism, I'm far from anything resembling an expert on this. (I find new things in this game pretty much every day that reinforces that too...haha)

:edit:

Ok, here's another question. It's been mentioned that it's extremely rare for Kerbin to actually capture an asteroid, which has already happened. Well, I finished getting my HKO Refuelling Station into orbit, and noticed a couple of asteroids were within Kerbin's SOI. One of which was on it's way out, the other....well...here.

It's showing no Peri in the tracking station, so I'm assuming that it's going to hit? Judging by it's line of travel, it SHOULD have a Peri though, even if it is extremely close (at least within 100K, as that's what my LKO station's orbit is, and it goes inside that.). So my question is....yeah, is it a somewhat common thing to have asteroids actually hit Kerbin naturally like this? Or is this just turning out to be the career mode from hell.

Lifting the empty mass (145 tonnes) was really easy thanks to the NASA boosters. Those are ridiculously powerful. So yeah, those liquid boosters and three of the main boosters were all I had to drop to achieve orbit with that.

I've lifted 90 tonnes into orbit before, and that was a bitch and a half because that was when the Mainsail was the best we had.

I did think of using orbital construction, but that would mean I couldn't spiderweb struts around it without getting yet another mod. And it would also mean using docking ports as structural, load-bearing, parts. Which is never a good idea as they tend to get crushed when a very heavy weight is applied. They may have been fine on Kerbin, but Eve's higher gravity would have probably caused a rapid unplanned disassembly.

As for your question, my very first asteroid was a class E that was bound to impact Kerbin. Hence all my asteroid moving ships being hilariously overpowered because I'm used to moving E class asteroids around. And impacts are frequent, but completely insignificant. If you want to see what happens, you'll have to attach something to it and focus on that as it enters the atmosphere, because otherwise they're just deleted as soon as they hit 30-ish KM.

For moving them, I generally use four LV-Ns and loooooong burns. Puller designs can be better because joints flex in KSP so the pendulum rocket fallacy doesn't apply. But make sure your engines are far enough away from the rock to actually work. Either build wide or just a ways away.
My Asteroid Relocator has 8 LV-Ns, four facing either way and wide enough that I had to juggle parts around a bit to actually place them on the ship in the VAB. I can switch between puller and pusher with action groups.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Avenging Dentist posted:

GPL is a perfectly acceptable choice for a mod (for instance, you want to use a GPL library in your mod), and I don't think it would cause KSP to be GPLed either. It's not like emacs on Windows requires Windows runtimes to be GPL. Also, if GPL can't be used for this reason, it's the modder's problem, not Squad's.

In any case, if you want to host the mod on official sites, you'd have to allow sharing the code upstream, since your fork had to be open source to be posted on the official site. GPL doesn't really do anything extra there.

You're right, I'm over thinking it. Let mod author pick an OSI license or enforce a single "Kerman" license and stop worrying about licensing issues. Its pretty silly really for a video game but folks take this stuff a little seriously.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

It's probably not worth it to have a Kerman license, even if it's just a rename of a more common license. It's better to stick to well known licenses than try to be cute.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

ohgodwhat posted:

It's probably not worth it to have a Kerman license, even if it's just a rename of a more common license. It's better to stick to well known licenses than try to be cute.

I agree. Not everything has to start with a K around here.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Busy weekend so I'm late to the discussion. What's been said so far is good but you might also want to explicitly include the right for Squad to 'opt in' anything they feel should be part of the actual official release: partially, wholly or using ideas/images from the mod. No compensation required and maybe toss them a bone about accreditation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Is there any way to check what a ship's action groups (pressing the number keys, etc) will do?

• Locked thread