Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Sanctum posted:

It's a long fight, but it's not like you can't heal during it

Unless he kills me outright. Any time he caught me in a bad roll or halfway through a swing, I was auto-dead from full.

SynthOrange posted:

I should NEVER be allowed to wear the butterfly armor. I never remember to take it off before talking to npcs. :cripes:

This is the reason I didn't go out of my way to get that armor. I am dumb and forget things. I would be dumb and forget this, I would bet money on it. I run caestuses and everything, it would be perfect; alas, I don't trust myself not to accidentally murder Majula.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Unless he kills me outright. Any time he caught me in a bad roll or halfway through a swing, I was auto-dead from full.

I may have missed it, but you did have his defenses lowered, yeah?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Lunatic Sledge posted:

It's not an auto-kill, it just does a metric shitton of damage. At SL 150 with 20 Vigor, the Third Dragon Ring and wearing Lucatiel's Mask +10, Faraam Chest +10, Elite Knight Leggings +10 & Engraved Gauntlets I could survive one hit. Try putting on armour with more physical resist.
Also Vendrick can bleed. It's only for 200 damage (I think?), but every little bit helps. Gilligan sells Bleeding Serum.

But yeah, Vendrick's a rather dumb fight. I kinda feel you basically have to get lucky and have Vendrick's AI not constantly back himself into the wall.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Colapops posted:

I may have missed it, but you did have his defenses lowered, yeah?

Yup. Doesn't affect his damage output, though. Fight took me about four minutes to do with five giants souls.

Raygereio posted:

It's not an auto-kill, it just does a metric shitton of damage. At SL 150 with 20 Vigor, the Third Dragon Ring and wearing Lucatiel's Mask +10, Faraam Chest +10, Elite Knight Leggings +10 & Engraved Gauntlets I could survive one hit. Try putting on armour with more physical resist.
Also Vendrick can bleed. It's only for 200 damage (I think?), but every little bit helps. Gilligan sells Bleeding Serum.

But yeah, Vendrick's a rather dumb fight. I kinda feel you basically have to get lucky and have Vendrick's AI not constantly back himself into the wall.

I know it's not actually an auto kill. Some of his side swipes I could live through, most of his attacks just did too much damage though. I beat him on the sixth try, SL 110 with 10 Vigor. I've punched my way through most of the game, but caestuses whiff on him 30% of the time for some magical reason, so I ended up switching to a katana by the end. I also had a shield but it never really mattered; he'd only manage to hit me when I couldn't possibly block it anyway.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why do people suck so bad against the Smelter Demon?

Just attack him once or twice, roll back so you don't burn to death, avoid his coreographic attacks and backaway when he stands still for too long.

But people just keep on dying to him.

What a bad boss to grab sunlight medals from.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah there are a lot of places that are bad ideas to even entertain the thought of cooperating in.

Earthen Peak because nobody drains the poison.
Aldia's Keep because people go to open the door and OHH YEAAAAH
Shrine of Amana because see the thread title.
For me, people kept getting greedy at the end of Velstadt's lifebar and run over to get guard broken and murdered.
And of course people who don't know that Smelter Demon pulls off a Colossus when it looks just like hey he's wide ope-- HRRRGGGGHHH dead.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Mans posted:

Why do people suck so bad against the Smelter Demon?

Just attack him once or twice, roll back so you don't burn to death, avoid his coreographic attacks and backaway when he stands still for too long.

But people just keep on dying to him.

What a bad boss to grab sunlight medals from.

I think the fact that he's so slow is actually what throws people off because it gives them a false sense of security. 'Oh it's ok if I just rush in and wail on him, I totally have enough time to dodge.' Suddenly you get hit once and are stunned, and he combos you or jumps and drops on your head and you don't have time to run away before he fire blasts you.

But yeah, it's one of those bosses that becomes really easy once you realize that he's not really that tough and that the biggest challenge is for you to not be an idiot and just be patient.

nftyw posted:

Yeah there are a lot of places that are bad ideas to even entertain the thought of cooperating in.

I've actually guided a few people from the boss door back down to the bonfire/wheel and stood next to the thing pointing until they either realized what to do or read a message and lit the thing on fire. It was pretty satisfying, and I got a couple of 'holy poo poo thanks!' messages after. The key is to just stand and spam the 'come here/I won't bite' emote until the guy starts following you. If they just blindly run into the boss door than I just stand behind them and wave. And sure enough, 5 seconds later you get the message that they died.

\/\/\/ Just use cheat engine. Bans aren't rare, they don't happen.

VDay fucked around with this message at 10:54 on May 18, 2014

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
It may not be the most socially acceptable thing but does anyone have a guide/advice for giving themselves 99 red eye orbs without being picked up by steam?
I'm trying a unarmed butterfly gimmick and bashing my head against the arena for half an hour trying to get a match is just sucking all the fun out of it :(

I know that bans from this seem pretty rare but I'm still not willing to take any more risk than I need to over this stupid gane mechanic

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Finally ran into a hacker. He was speedhacking with what I'm guessing is the MLGS special on every autoattack with what looks like a WashingPole.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Smelter was really tough for me when I was trying to block and kill him with a sword. The area before being a giant pain to get through didn't help. I got my adaptability up, learned some miracles and beat him first try.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I suck at dodging slow attacks. I always dodge too early and use up all my iframes before the attack actually connects, and the roll isn't far enough to get entirely out of the hit zone. Thus, any boss with an attack that's slower than average I just get flattened by until I get the timing down. Smelter Demon was like that.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The area before being a giant pain to get through didn't help.

I genocided all the Alonne Knights in the area prior to even attempting the Smelter Demon. Not because of that, but because I was grinding for souls and some drop.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How the hell do you backstab reliably in this game? I see other people circling so well in co-op, but I can never ever do it.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

my problem with Smelter Demon was trying to play armored and using a shield. when I removed all my armor and ditched the shield to hold onto a large club with both hands, I beat him that very attempt. being able to time the roll through his attacks is key.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

carrionman posted:

It may not be the most socially acceptable thing but does anyone have a guide/advice for giving themselves 99 red eye orbs without being picked up by steam?
I'm trying a unarmed butterfly gimmick and bashing my head against the arena for half an hour trying to get a match is just sucking all the fun out of it :(

I know that bans from this seem pretty rare but I'm still not willing to take any more risk than I need to over this stupid gane mechanic

Literally just google 'dark souls 2 trainer' and then use that when you're offline. Boom, simple.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

nftyw posted:

Aldia's Keep because people go to open the door and OHH YEAAAAH
Shrine of Amana because see the thread title.
For me, people kept getting greedy at the end of Velstadt's lifebar and run over to get guard broken and murdered.
And of course people who don't know that Smelter Demon pulls off a Colossus when it looks just like hey he's wide ope-- HRRRGGGGHHH dead.

If you want to help with the Earthen Peak boss just hide your summon sign where the poison pool would be if people didn't remove the poison. That way the only people that'll even see your sign will have to have burned the windmill. You might get someone that stumbled across it in the poison but it's not likely.

Seriously, just put your sign by the boss door unless you're using the small soapstone.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
The lag in PVP is so confusing to me, and not at all like my experiences with DS1. One terribly player laggy player I fought twice, the first time I was missing because he'd teleport out of the way, and I wouldn't see damage numbers, but somehow he was taking damage. It was really weird, because I wasn't hitting him on my end but sometimes it registered. I fought him again and got horrendously teleport backstabbed, he tried to follow-up with a lunge attack as I got up (dude must be coming from too much PVE.) I roll out of the way, he hits the dirt completely off the mark and then I die. :confused:

One guy I killed lagged out as I killed him, which I've seen before but in this case he was casting homing soulmass with a sliver of his health left. Before my damage registered his homing soulmass (that shouldn't be able to lock-on before I killed him) locked on and killed me. Somehow the 2 clean hits I got on him with only a sliver of his health remaining before the soulmass hit me didn't count and I died instead of him.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Got summoned to help with Dear Freya.

Died covered in spiders. :3:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I genocided all the Alonne Knights in the area prior to even attempting the Smelter Demon. Not because of that, but because I was grinding for souls and some drop.

I unintentionally got 2 full sets of Alonne armor and a bunch of extra pieces just trying to run through before I decided to come back to that area later. When I rescued that Pyro girl and she asks for clothes I just turned her into one of the Iron Keep enemies.

ALSO I just realized Huntman's Copse is not a typo

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

my problem with Smelter Demon was trying to play armored and using a shield. when I removed all my armor and ditched the shield to hold onto a large club with both hands, I beat him that very attempt. being able to time the roll through his attacks is key.

I found him quite easy with heavy armour and sword&board once I stopped rushing and learnt to back off. For a game that demands patience a lot of the playerbase seem to lack it.

Of course, once I picked up a Gyrm shield with it's 100% fire resistance, that fight became a whole lot easier to sunbro. Well, except for lemming hosts :ughh:

Hurp Durp Master
Oct 10, 2011

MadJackMcJack posted:

I found him quite easy with heavy armour and sword&board once I stopped rushing and learnt to back off. For a game that demands patience a lot of the playerbase seem to lack it.

Of course, once I picked up a Gyrm shield with it's 100% fire resistance, that fight became a whole lot easier to sunbro. Well, except for lemming hosts :ughh:

Oh god I can confirm I was lemming host. I remember I actually spent like all 20 humanity I had at the time summoning people to help me with smelter's. :negative:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hurp Durp Master posted:

Oh god I can confirm I was lemming host. I remember I actually spent like all 20 humanity I had at the time summoning people to help me with smelter's. :negative:

The real key to killing Smelter if you just cannot comprehend how to fight him is to summon Lucatiel. Bosses hate NPC phantoms, the easiest time I've had with a lot of bosses was when I was completing NPC quest lines because of how aggressive the bosses are towards them.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

MadJackMcJack posted:

oh yeah I mean, now I can pretty much finish him off in my sleep, it just took me a few tries to really figure it out. backing off wasn't an issue, I'm a pretty conservative player, it's just that when I'd get hit I'd get tripped up real easily.

and yeah lemming hosts... I tried to farm that fight for sunbro medals and gave up after a guy named Mario summoned me three times and each time he would die to the very first attack.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
I don't think any of the characters in DS2 are any of the characters in DS1, really

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
Can a hacker turn on their cheats mid-fight, or did I just experience some bizarre lag?

Got invaded by someone named "dragon", he pretty much just rolled around and took some wildly inaccurate swings, until I'd poisoned him and taken half his health off. Then his health and status reset, and he stopped taking damage.

Also: Twinblades. Awkward moveset and awful damage, or is there something I'm missing?

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Not sure about that first part but you're right on the money with those twinblades, they suck.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Hawgh posted:

Can a hacker turn on their cheats mid-fight, or did I just experience some bizarre lag?

Got invaded by someone named "dragon", he pretty much just rolled around and took some wildly inaccurate swings, until I'd poisoned him and taken half his health off. Then his health and status reset, and he stopped taking damage.

Also: Twinblades. Awkward moveset and awful damage, or is there something I'm missing?

In DS1 most hackers had it set to a button when to turn on immortality. Like when they are about to lose or think the opponent is cheating himself.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Is the Dragonrider Twinblade any good for Mundane Infusion? The stats on it look a little bit underwhelming, but I don't know the first thing about Mundane infusion, so I could be completely wrong.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Hawgh posted:

The best twinblade isn't a twinblade at all. 2 handed Santier's Spear (after "unlocking" it). Twinblades have terrible durability, this can never break. Twinblades mostly scale with DEX or STR, this has 0 scaling so benefits a lot from something like Mundane or Raw. On top of that it has some moves from other movesets so it's really unpredictable.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

I don't think any of the characters in DS2 are any of the characters in DS1, really
I think everyone gets one crazy theory about DS1 to believe in. Mine is that Cromwell the Pardoner in DS2 is Cromwell the Pardoner from DS1. :tinfoil:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Sanctum posted:

I think everyone gets one crazy theory about DS1 to believe in. Mine is that Cromwell the Pardoner in DS2 is Cromwell the Pardoner from DS1. :tinfoil:

The Lost Sinner is Lost Quelana.

King Vendrick is a Chosen Undead who went screw-you to both endings of DkS1 and tried to do his own thing.

The Old Dragonslayer is the real Ornstein, who went with Gwynevere when she left Anor Londo and probably got piss-drunk at her and Flann's wedding and started talking poo poo about Artorias and how he could totally handle the Dark and welp, turns out he could. The one you fought in Anor Londo was an illusion (Smough was real, though. Everyone totally ditched him, which is why he's so disrespectful.)

Manscorpion Tark is Black Iron Tarkus from an alternate timeline where he somehow wandered into the Duke's Archives, then got captured and experimented on. Maybe you would have eventually been fitted with a sweet scorpion chassis if you waited in the cell for long enough!

On that note, Brightstone Cove Tseldora is the Crystal Caves after being mined out. Geography? The flow of time and space is convoluted!

Ornifex is (obviously) a crow demon who got out of the painting and decided to just chill out and be cool.

And the Crestfallen Warrior is literally the same poor guy he is in every Souls game, just with a different haircut and occasionally forgetting to shave. Why do you think he's so crestfallen?

Finally, not even a theory but actual canon: Queen Nashandra is Manus reincarnated.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 18, 2014

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I always felt that Priscilla had some connection to Aldia's experiments, being the first dragon crossbreed and all of his acolytes wearing white fur.

Also because I think it's weird that she never gets mentioned despite being one of the only characters from the first game that has a decent chance of still being alive. Sure there's no reason to mention her since she was an unimportant hidden character but still.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dark Souls 1 took place way, way before Aldia or Drangleic. Priscilla's dad is Seath.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

Dark Souls 1 took place way, way before Aldia or Drangleic. Priscilla's dad is Seath.

Yeah, I know that. I'm thinking that Pris inspired the experiments or something. Al heard of her and he was all "wait dragons can do that?"

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ah, I misread what you said.

sex shop clearance rack
Jan 20, 2011
Can someone give me a quick breakdown of weapons that benefit most from a lightning infusion? Stats right now are 20/25/4/50, and I'm currently using:

Lightning Heide Greatlance +10
Dragonslayer Spear +5
Lightning Heide Knight Sword +10
Golden Wing Shield +10
Lightning Dragon Chime +5
Lightning Bow of Want +5

The Lance, chime and bow own, but the DSS and Sword are starting to lose their oomph, especially in NG+.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Flytrap posted:

Yeah, I know that. I'm thinking that Pris inspired the experiments or something. Al heard of her and he was all "wait dragons can do that?"

New theory: Vendrick and Aldia were both Chosen Undead. The legends refer to them as brothers, but in truth they were bros, because they kept summoning each other a lot.

Vendrick is the one who took everything seriously and was a completionist, including killing Priscilla.

Aldia was the one who just dicked around but also wished Priscilla was his waifu. But, she would only repeat the line about how he needed to leave.

So while Vendrick was up to all kinds of things, Aldia set about trying to create a new Priscilla for a waifu, but instead made a severely autistic firekeeper named the Emerald Herald who did nothing but repeat lines, got fed up, and transformed himself into the embodiment of revenge against the kind of people who would attack Priscilla and not leave the solitary optional boss alone: the Ancient Dragon.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 18, 2014

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
MY problem with the smelter demon was that my fast agile dex character bent their rapier on his fat hide and eventually wound up smeared into paste.

So eventually I just summoned some phantoms and hid in a corner till the smoke cleared.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

ACTION AMERICAN posted:

Can someone give me a quick breakdown of weapons that benefit most from a lightning infusion?

Defender Greatsword is the best lightning weapon around most likely. You get the soul needed for it from the second to last boss.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ACTION AMERICAN posted:

Can someone give me a quick breakdown of weapons that benefit most from a lightning infusion? Stats right now are 20/25/4/50, and I'm currently using:

Dragonslayer Spear +5
Golden Wing Shield +10
Lightning Bow of Want +5

The Lance, chime and bow own, but the DSS and Sword are starting to lose their oomph, especially in NG+.

Lightning Defender's Greatsword is supposed to be a really good option for FTH builds, I'm using Lightning Heide Sword + 10 and waiting until I can unlock that. You need more petrified dragonbone though so good luck with that

Also how's the DSS? I got my Dex up to 26 to try out a lot of stuff and was severely underwhelmed by it but I didn't spend the materials to upgrade at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Flytrap posted:

I always felt that Priscilla had some connection to Aldia's experiments, being the first dragon crossbreed and all of his acolytes wearing white fur.

Also because I think it's weird that she never gets mentioned despite being one of the only characters from the first game that has a decent chance of still being alive. Sure there's no reason to mention her since she was an unimportant hidden character but still.

She's mentioned by Ornifex unless you think the crow lady is talking about Seath instead of the person surrounded by Crow people.

ACTION AMERICAN posted:

Dragonslayer Spear +5
Golden Wing Shield +10
Lightning Bow of Want +5

Try the Curved Dragon Greatsword. It loses like 8 base damage but gains like 150 of the element. It's also unparryable if you 2hand it.