Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Kurtofan posted:

Most vps born what an honor.

Better than golf holes per capita (SC).

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
What does "Fewest mental health days taken" mean? I have very little knowledge about the US healthcare, but I can't help but read it as a spin on "inaccessible mental care".

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

steinrokkan posted:

What does "Fewest mental health days taken" mean? I have very little knowledge about the US healthcare, but I can't help but read it as a spin on "inaccessible mental care".

A mental health day is when you take a day off because you're feeling stressed. I've never heard it applied to any aspect of mental health other than stress. Like "fewest sick days taken," you could interpret this information in different ways, as either overly restrictive work leave policies or as people in that state having less stress from work. Might be a little of column A and a little of column B.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I think most bromine production is my favorite.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Alaska is "Most Equal"? What does that even mean? They don't have gay marriage, and anti-discrimination against LGBT people amounts to a gubernatorial executive order about gays and absolutely nothing about gender identity. They also gave us Sarah fuckmothering Palin.

Sorry I'm biased against Alaska because every single Alaskan I've ever met was bizarrely nationalist with regards to their state, convinced that it was the golden goose of the US and better than all the other states and that life is perfect and good in Alaska and terrible everywhere else.

Maybe I just know weird people.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Income equality, presumably.

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Income equality, presumably.

The oil checks help.

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

On the topic of second language maps, here's one for the boroughs of London. I'd love to see one for all the counties in the UK.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, I love that Alaska is pretty dang conservative, but they've ended up with a minimum income setup thanks to oil.

If only we could spin some nationwide program as an extension of that.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Broniki posted:

On the topic of second language maps, here's one for the boroughs of London. I'd love to see one for all the counties in the UK.

"Greenwhich".

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

Most commonly spoken language other than English or French? Only thing that surprises me is German in Yukon, rather than a native language.

I'm going to take a guess it's the most spoken non-official language(s). I can't imagine there are more German speakers in the Yukon than aboriginal.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

There is plenty here that is new to me; Madagascar having the same language family as Indonesia was near the top.

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 17, 2014

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Mormonism is happiness.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Count Roland posted:

There is plenty here that is new to me; Madagascar having the same language family as Indonesia was near the top.

Apparently people first migrated to Madagascar all the way from Indonesia rather than from Africa.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Farecoal posted:

Apparently people first migrated to Madagascar all the way from Indonesia rather than from Africa.

And just ~2000 years ago.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Kennel posted:

And just ~2000 years ago.

Hell, New Zealand was only settled by humans around the year 1200.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

El Scotch posted:

I'm going to take a guess it's the most spoken non-official language(s). I can't imagine there are more German speakers in the Yukon than aboriginal.
English is not an official language in Quebec while Inuktitut is an official language in Nunavut and Dogrib is an official language in NW Territories, so I don't think that's it. Also, Yukon doesn't have any indigenous languages as official languages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yukon#Language

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 17, 2014

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

That makes some sense though. New Zealand is really loving far away from centers of civilization.

Madagascar, while an island, is comparatively close to a landmass that's been inhabited for a very long time. It even has some nearby islands as stepping stones. Maybe its a sea current thing that makes it easier to approach from the east.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Farecoal posted:

Malagasy and Bahasa Indonesia and Tagalog and Hawai'ian are all members of the Malayo-Polynesian subfamily of Austronesian. All other Austronesian subfamilies (there are several) are spoken only on Taiwan, where they are autochtonous. Chinese languages are relatively recent to Taiwan, where they are now majority.

TheImmigrant fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 17, 2014

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

English is not an official language in Quebec while Inuktitut is an official language in Nunavut and Dogrib is an official language in NW Territories, so I don't think that's it. Also, Yukon doesn't have any indigenous languages as official languages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yukon#Language

Yeah, it seems the natives were thoroughly anglicized in Yukon if less than one percent of the population speaks a native language.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah, it seems the natives were thoroughly anglicized in Yukon if less than one percent of the population speaks a native language.

About a quarter of Yukon's population is First Nation, but is linguistically so fragmented that no single native language has more than a few dozen speakers. More people speak Tagalog or Punjabi than any discrete native language.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

It's easy to forget how incredibly diverse North American indigenous languages are/were. This map shows language families, for comparison Europe has only three such families, Indo-European, Basque and Uralic.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
And then you get to New Guinea:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Soviet Commubot posted:

It's easy to forget how incredibly diverse North American indigenous languages are/were. This map shows language families, for comparison Europe has only three such families, Indo-European, Basque and Uralic.

Are these all really "top-level" language families? California looks to have more than all the Old World combined.

e: New Guinea excluded. Guess the same question goes for them.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 17, 2014

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Soviet Commubot posted:

Wow, the west coast is very diverse.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

computer parts posted:

And then you get to New Guinea:

You can clearly see the effects of the Austronesian expansion where they colonized a lot of New Guinea's islands and coastal areas. It's actually remarkable for the linguistic situation to remain relatively stable in that sense over a period of thousands of years. Time will tell to what extent Tok Pisin can upset the balance with its rise as a unifying lingua franca with an increasing number of native speakers of its own.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Are these all really "top-level" language families? California looks to have more than all the Old World combined.

I assume that they're using sensible criteria, but it seems to me that it is always a bit arbitrary to determine what exactly constitutes a 'language family'.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 17, 2014

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Soviet Commubot posted:

Are the Na-Dene groups in the southwest US and northwest Canada related somehow? It's odd to think that they migrated without leaving any speakers in between.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, but obviously the whole structure of language families as we know them is an artifact of both human history and the limitations of historical linguistics. As in, when it comes to Native American languages, you've got a whole bunch of separate language families because of the paths the past has taken, and because comparative linguistics cannot prove that they are related. The languages change so fast when they are isolated from each other, that even when you have every reason to assume the languages are related at some vast time depth, you cannot possibly find the cognates & structures to prove the relation.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Ras Het posted:

Yeah, but obviously the whole structure of language families as we know them is an artifact of both human history and the limitations of historical linguistics. As in, when it comes to Native American languages, you've got a whole bunch of separate language families because of the paths the past has taken, and because comparative linguistics cannot prove that they are related. The languages change so fast when they are isolated from each other, that even when you have every reason to assume the languages are related at some vast time depth, you cannot possibly find the cognates & structures to prove the relation.
So it's perhaps less language families, and more isolates (like Basque), in some cases at least? Combined with lack of research obscuring possible connections.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Soviet Commubot posted:

In total fairness, Europe used to have languages outside of those families (Eteocretan, the Tyrsenian family if it's a valid grouping, whatever language family Iberian belonged to, whatever otherwise unattested languages various European substrates are from, etc.); they've just been extinct for a long time now.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

So it's perhaps less language families, and more isolates (like Basque), in some cases at least? Combined with lack of research obscuring possible connections.

The isolates are numbered, as you can see. The families are families, as in there's a clear relation in the languages within them but not between the families. An "isolate family" would be a redundant concept. And yeah, lack of research can be an issue, but I think all surviving Native (North) American languages are well documented.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Farecoal posted:

Hell, New Zealand was only settled by humans around the year 1200.

How the hell did that (not) happen?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Ras Het posted:

The isolates are numbered, as you can see. The families are families, as in there's a clear relation in the languages within them but not between the families. An "isolate family" would be a redundant concept. And yeah, lack of research can be an issue, but I think all surviving Native (North) American languages are well documented.
That assumes the "families" aren't just a single language with some dialects. :smugbert:

Please excuse my brainfart

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Jerry Cotton posted:

How the hell did that (not) happen?

Presumably because New Zealand is something like a thousand miles away from anything the Polynesians (or anyone else) would have been settling from.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Badger of Basra posted:

Are the Na-Dene groups in the southwest US and northwest Canada related somehow? It's odd to think that they migrated without leaving any speakers in between.

I would assume that at one point the language family extended from Canada to the American SW, and that anything in between on that map would likely be an invading language.

Kind of similar to how the Algic family in the north eastern quadrant of the continent has other groups (Iroquoian largely) apparently attempting to bisect the main populations.

I'd also argue that language families do not necessarily superceed tribal politics and alliances. I'm no scholar on native American/first nations history and culture though... Just making assumptions.

E: posting from a phone.

Backweb fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 18, 2014

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Even more interesting, perhaps, is the distribution of the parent family, Dené-Yeniseian:

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Backweb posted:

I would assume that at one point the language family extended from Canada to the American SW, and that anything in between on that map would likely be an invading language.

The current belief seems to be that the Southern Athabaskan groups (basically the Apache and Navajo) formerly lived much further north and migrated southward sometime around 1200 AD. Incidentally, the Na-Dené family is interesting in that a "well-received" proposal was made a few years back linking it to one of the "Paleosiberian" groups.

Backweb posted:

Kind of similar to how the Algic family in the north eastern quadrant of the continent has other groups (Iroquoian largely) apparently attempting to bisect the main populations.

On the other hand, there doesn't seem to be much of a consensus about the origin of the Algic family, which on top of the more obvious geographical separations also includes a pair of essentially extinct languages formerly spoken in the vicinity of Eureka, CA.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Even more interesting, perhaps, is the distribution of the parent family, Dené-Yeniseian:

This one is still theoretical, though I've heard the evidence for it is growing. Current theory is that the Dene family isn't descended from Yeniseian, but both share a common origin further back in time, presumably in Siberia. Another interesting thing about the theory is that it must mean that either other American Indian languages have all diverged to the point where they can't be recognizable as members of that same language family, or all Native American language families are not related to each other and multiple language families passed through the Bering landbridge.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

SurgicalOntologist posted:

why is the EU a single country on this map ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

skipThings posted:

why is the EU a single country on this map ?

This map actually depicts the UKIP's worst fears.