Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

Time_pants posted:

Is the Dragonrider Twinblade any good for Mundane Infusion? The stats on it look a little bit underwhelming, but I don't know the first thing about Mundane infusion, so I could be completely wrong.

Just use Santier's Spear if you're gonna do Mundane and want the Twinblade moveset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

Got summoned to help with Dear Freya.

Died covered in spiders. :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD_Xb512Avc

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Name filer: working hard to protect us from filth

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

In this game of killing eldritch horrors, the word penis would make people cry.

sex shop clearance rack
Jan 20, 2011
Thanks for the quick replies. I tried the Defenders Sword, but I hate the 2-handed moveset for having absolutely no tracking capabilities whatsoever. I'll have to try the Dragon GS, but as I literally just came into NG+ it will be a while.

As for the DSS, it's...odd. Both R2's shoot lightning and come out pretty quickly, but the moveset seems very slow compared to other spears. Perhaps I'm just comparing it to Dark Souls, where my Ornstein cosplay steamrolled through NG+2 with just that and a few lightning spears.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Jose posted:

What does getting into the coffin in Things Betwixt do?

A skeleton uses it as a boat and takes you to Skull Island.

I wonder how many people hopped into that coffin hoping it would lead to this games Gravelord Covenant.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 18, 2014

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
DEX builds are depressingly inadequate in NG+ :smith:. You pretty much have to riposte with a dagger to get any meaningful damage, and daggers do jack all damage if you aren't doing a critical. Otherwise you're just whittling away at their HP with the pokes of rapiers.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
No bonfire run is actually pretty fun. I did give myself 20int/20fai without recalling that I can't attune anything though. :raise:

No death run on the other hand:
1. Walk off ledge in Things Betwixt
2. Walk off ledge in Heide
3. Fall off ledge after getting smacked by a Ruin Sentinel
4. Fall off ledge incorrectly when trying to skip Grave of Saints
:cry:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I should try a no death run of this game but the length makes me uneasy. The longer the game the more likely it is I'll do something dumb involving a cliff and die. I did some no death runs of Dark Souls and only one was lost due to mechanical error, when I got careless fighting Stray Demon. The other 3 deaths were due to falling off ledges. I even managed to die after killing the moonlight butterfly, because I walked over a tiny gap in the staircase that sent me falling 30 feet!

I'm sure if I tried a no death run in this game I'd flub a jump in Iron Keep, even though I can speed run that place easily now.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

turtlecrunch posted:

No bonfire run is actually pretty fun. I did give myself 20int/20fai without recalling that I can't attune anything though. :raise:

No death run on the other hand:
1. Walk off ledge in Things Betwixt
2. Walk off ledge in Heide
3. Fall off ledge after getting smacked by a Ruin Sentinel
4. Fall off ledge incorrectly when trying to skip Grave of Saints
:cry:

You're becoming quite the ledge end in Dark Souls.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I should try a no death run of this game but the length makes me uneasy. The longer the game the more likely it is I'll do something dumb involving a cliff and die. I did some no death runs of Dark Souls and only one was lost due to mechanical error, when I got careless fighting Stray Demon. The other 3 deaths were due to falling off ledges. I even managed to die after killing the moonlight butterfly, because I walked over a tiny gap in the staircase that sent me falling 30 feet!

I'm sure if I tried a no death run in this game I'd flub a jump in Iron Keep, even though I can speed run that place easily now.

If you're allowed to start one in ng+ it'd be really easy. You can try that.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!

Internet Kraken posted:

The Dull Ember in Iron Keep still makes me tense. :smith:

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

kazil posted:

Its pretty amazing that they made a word parser worse than the one in family feud for the super nintendo

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008

kazil posted:

E: The best fall in the game is getting from the lava rocks back to the bridge at the pvp area at iron keep. Whenever someone accidentally falls off the bridge during a fight there is a 50/50 chance that they mess up that one last jump and roll past the left side of the stairs into the lava.

Small and Blue fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 18, 2014

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together

Internet Kraken posted:

A skeleton uses it as a boat and takes you to Skull Island.

I wonder how many people hopped into that coffin hoping it would lead to this games Gravelord Covenant.

I went in it not knowing what it would do when I first started the game, didn't notice the effect until several hours in, and even then I just thought I picked the wrong gender in the character creation screen.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

When you go to NG+ does the armor guy keep the bosses armors or you have to buy all of them before going into it?

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009
So this might be an oddly specific issue that no one can help me with, but Dark Souls II crashed and when I was loading it up it would white screen and not load at all. Eventually that stopped happening, but now when I play the game runs like rear end and for some reason all spell effects, item effects and other particle effects are just non-existent. Items on the ground don't have a blue glowy ball etc.

I googled this problem and the only people complaining about it where running INTEL HD 4000 Integrated graphics. And my laptop does have that; but it's also got an GeForce GT 650M thats meant to kick in when a game or program loads up - and im suspicious that that might not be happening, which would explain the effects disappearing and the chugging frame rate. Does anyone know if it's possible that could have happened, and if it has happened how the heck to fix it?

EDIT: Went into nvidia control panel and forced Dark Souls to use the 650M, everythings fixed. No idea why it decided to use the intel 4000.

d3c0y2 fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 18, 2014

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

VisAbsoluta posted:

When you go to NG+ does the armor guy keep the bosses armors or you have to buy all of them before going into it?

Buy them all before going in.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

VisAbsoluta posted:

Everything character-related like that is reset. Maughlin's shop resets to its base stock (you gotta spend 16k again for everything), Gilligan's ladders are removed, Licia's turnstyle is reset, and everyone goes back to where they originally were.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

d3c0y2 posted:

EDIT: Went into nvidia control panel and forced Dark Souls to use the 650M, everythings fixed. No idea why it decided to use the intel 4000.

My laptop basically requires you to do that no matter what program it is. I'm pretty sure I've got the same card in mine, how's it run?

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
Buy out all your fashion before going into NG+, it's not the same as ascetics. And remember to upgrade too - +10 sword/board to +0 fists is semi-hilarious.

The problem with the Smelter Demon is that Your Weapon Is Wrong and it's not hugely obvious that this should be the case until you run into him. A +4 mace will make shorter work of him than almost any +10 sword. The benchmark I'd used for non-magical weapon damage types, skeletons, didn't really care what you hit them with.

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009

Praseodymi posted:

My laptop basically requires you to do that no matter what program it is. I'm pretty sure I've got the same card in mine, how's it run?

It can run pretty well on high, but I put everything on medium so the FPS seems more fluid. I've got no regrets, it's running pretty nicely now.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nullkigan posted:

Buy out all your fashion before going into NG+, it's not the same as ascetics. And remember to upgrade too - +10 sword/board to +0 fists is semi-hilarious.

The problem with the Smelter Demon is that Your Weapon Is Wrong and it's not hugely obvious that this should be the case until you run into him. A +4 mace will make shorter work of him than almost any +10 sword. The benchmark I'd used for non-magical weapon damage types, skeletons, didn't really care what you hit them with.

You don't have to worry so much about upgrades since the second bonfire in the first area unlocks the blacksmith, but infusing any weapons you want and buying as much titanite as possible (and farming slabs) is important if you expect to change things up.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
K, almost made it through the game. Here are my thoughts.

Story
It's lame. Way worse than the original and about as smooth as sandpaper. It crutches too much on the DS1 story, and the other undead aren't as well developed or likeable as their counterparts in DS1.

HUD
There are too many status icons, and figuring out what some of them do is a little rough. Mousing over the icon should bring up what the icon stands represents and a brief description.

Overall Gameplay
I understand it was a little easy to roll around and avoid everything in DS1, but ultimately adding adaptability as a parameter doesn't do anything for the gameplay. It's just something you have to pump points into, to get back to what you had as base in DS1. Maybe agility could increase your casting speed and there was no casting speed stat. There's just too much stuff in the character status, and I don't think all of it is needed.

I think a better solution would be completely desync the weight to roll type and have something like a trainer set the type of roll you want. You could visit the trainer any time and change the type of roll you're using. The different rolls would then have static distance and iframes and be balanced by stamina use. The amount of stamina used by each roll would be determined by the type of roll and equip load. I also think this would help make some weapons more viable. If you're light weight and want use a weapon with short reach, you're in for a rough time. Long roll distance and short reach just don't mix. If you could set yourself to medium roll at 20% weight and just use less stamina to roll as a benefit, then you would have more weapon options for at least PvE.

The same trainer could also set things like uses of the off hand weapon and/or stances. Not all builds use the power stance, so it would be nice if you had other stances to choose from. The tap button to two hand could also get some other options. The functionality of the off hand is still somewhat limited and this could greatly expand what it does.

Finally, the armors are still a little lame. While improvements were made, I don't see why I should have to wear a witch hat to get extra spell casts. You should be allowed to infuse armors for secondary benefits similarly to the way you can infuse weapons.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Internet Kraken posted:

It's really not that long a game once you get this run done, it might take a couple of attempts but you can beat the game without dying in about 8 hours.

My shortlist of advice to anyone attempting no death run:
  • Dying as a phantom in someone else's world counts as a death, getting cursed doesn't count as a death.
  • Do shade work early at the first Pursuer encounter a bunch of times to get 17k a pop and level up early, if you die it's no big deal to restart.
  • You probably won't get invaded in an NG run but stay in the Way of the Blue covenant just in case.
  • Get the 2 estus shards and 1 shard in cardinal tower ASAP.
  • Summon phantoms wherever you can
  • Avoid trying to pick up unnecessary items if you know item placement. Stuff like human effigies, ring of life protection, weapons you're not going to use etc. will just put you in danger and waste time.
  • Skip what bosses you can - Old Dragonslayer, Ruin Sentinels, Smelter Demon, Executioner's Chariot etc., all optional bosses
  • Try not to get summoned in the Grave of Saints, I would just quit if it starts to happen & rush to the end.
  • You will be starved for titanite chunks for most of the run since it's too risky to be a Belltower defender, so use them wisely.
  • Eat all the boss souls to get yourself closer to the 1 mil SM to open Shrine of Winter (if it's an NG run)
  • Don't go to the Shaded Forest or down to Brightcove, instead use ascetics in Black Gulch and fight The Rotten a couple of times and eat the Rotten Souls & Old Dead One Souls, this will get you to 1,000,000 way faster than bothering with the path to Brightcove.
  • Always have some long range spell or a bow for Shrine of Amana and other situations.
  • Don't gently caress it up.
The path I took was:
  • Bonfire Ascetic starting gift
  • Beat Pursuer's first encounter (summon help if needed)
  • Go get Drangleic set from where the Pursuer appears the second time, this carried me through the majority of the run, depends on your build.
  • Beat Pursuer a couple more times (shade) and level up to ~50s, you can do this as much as you want but eventually soul memory will push you out of range of people needing help there.
  • Beat Last Giant
  • Go to Lost Bastille via bird, get antiquated key from chest on the first left
  • Beat Dragonrider
  • Beat Flexile Sentry (Pick up Royal Soldier's Ring if you need it)
  • Take the boat to Lost Bastille & go through the antiquated key door and go to Sinner's Rise instead of fighting Ruin Sentinels (you can go back later if you really need the souls)
  • Use Fragrant Branch of Yore on Milibeth, you don't need to unlock Straid/Ornifex
  • Talk to Licia to open up Huntsman's Copse or buy the cat ring and go down that path, doesn't matter what order really, but it's best to get the dull ember earlier, probably.
  • Beat Skeleton Lords
  • Talk to Chloanne to move her to Majula, buy her Bonfire Ascetic too.
  • Beat Covetous Demon
  • Beat Nakja
  • Go through Iron Keep, get the dull ember, skip Smelter Demon and push through to the bonfire before Old Iron King
  • Give the ember to McDuff and upgrade whatever gear you're using
  • Beat Royal Rat Vanguard
  • Be careful going through The Gutter, it's easy to get through, but do a couple of practice runs through it so you know where to go and don't gently caress it up
  • Get to the second bonfire in Black Gulch
  • At this point you can beat Lost Sinner/Old Iron King/The Rotten in any order you want
  • Use your bonfire ascetics to beat The Rotten a couple of times, summon phantoms that look competent enough to do most of the work and you can hang back and out of danger, if your phantoms die and you don't want to risk death just homeward bone out and try again.
  • You should now have 1,000,000 SM or close to it after eating boss souls and can open the Shrine of Winter. There's not much more I can tell you for the rest of the game except Don't Die.
  • Beat Dragonriders
  • Beat Looking Glass Knight
  • Make sure to pick off everything one at a time in Shrine of Amana
  • Beat Demon of Song
  • Remember to kill the hollow that rings the bell in the room before Velstadt
  • Beat Velstadt and get the King Ring
  • Once you get the King Ring go beat Throne Watcher/Defender
  • Go to Aldia's Keep
  • Beat Guardian Dragon
  • Rush through Dragon Aerie and ignore the dragons
  • Get the Ashen Mist Heart in Dragon Shrine and use the feather to go back
  • Beat Giant Lord
  • Beat Nashandra

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Safety Scissors posted:

K, almost made it through the game. Here are my thoughts.

Story
It's lame. Way worse than the original and about as smooth as sandpaper. It crutches too much on the DS1 story, and the other undead aren't as well developed or likeable as their counterparts in DS1.

I'm noticing a trend where people that don't like the story obviously didn't pay attention to it at all. If you did, you would understand that saying it "crutches" on the DS1 story makes no sense.

masato tatanka posted:

It's really not that long a game once you get this run done, it might take a couple of attempts but you can beat the game without dying in about 8 hours.

8 hours is pretty long. Though now that I think about it, I've played and beaten roguelikes such as Crawl multiple times. Those can be just as lethal and take even longer to complete. Doing a nodeath run of Dark Souls isn't that that much different.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 18, 2014

fuxxo
Feb 17, 2010

Fucking Pokemon, how do they Surf?

masato tatanka posted:

[*]Beat Royal Rat Vanguard

Any reason why you go through grave of saints instead of dropping down past it to the gutter?

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

powerful weedlock posted:

How the hell do you backstab reliably in this game? I see other people circling so well in co-op, but I can never ever do it.

Backstabbing was my go-to way of dealing with most enemies, and really it's mostly just rolling. An enemy swings at you, you roll towards them, and depending on whether you rolled straight forward or off to the side you either take a few steps and hit them in the back while they're locked into an animation or you get to their back with a second roll. The hitbox for triggering a backstab can be finicky but it's just something you need to learn over time; I usually aim for just behind the left leg or so.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm noticing a trend where people that don't like the story obviously didn't pay attention to it at all. If you did, you would understand that saying it "crutches" on the DS1 story makes no sense.

8 hours is pretty long. Though now that I think about it, I've played and beaten roguelikes such as Crawl multiple times. Those can be just as lethal and take even longer to complete. Doing a nodeath run of Dark Souls isn't that that much different.

The difference is that crawl won't let you stupidly walk into a pit to your death.

Dark Souls will happily push your itself.

I'm afraid to try a no death run, it's only going to lead to heartbreak when I stupidly die to the final boss :(

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Does pyromancy have any kind of interaction with the torches and braziers? It doesn't seem like it but if so that's a real missed opportunity.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Trying to fight in the arena at 250k SM is miserable. Basically half your opponents are obvious hackers, sporting gear they couldn't possibly have at that SM. I just need enough orbs to get sinner status but can't even win one fight.

I legit don't understand why people would hack to fight in the arena at a SM where the opponent can't do anything. What's the point?

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
I had trouble with Vendrick til I went naked and used the slumbering dragons shield for the Stam boost. I one shot him, you just can't be greedy. Play the long game, save Stam for dodging twice always.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Tallgeese posted:

Vortex is slow slow slow.

Does anyone know which enemies have unique magic?

I know Navlaan does, who else has an NPC spell? Human enemies only.

I know it was few pages back, but isn't the priestess Lightning ball spell in Dragon shrine unique to her? the one that knocks you down and can clip through walls.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Equester posted:

I know it was few pages back, but isn't the priestess Lightning ball spell in Dragon shrine unique to her? the one that knocks you down and can clip through walls.

Pilgrim Bellclaire in Lost Bastille has a unique spell. Great Soul Spear. It's so big it looks like a loving Kamehameha

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Felkin the Outcast actually has multiple unique spells AFAIK. It's weird because they're actually pyromancies and not hexes... which of course are his whole gimmick.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

fuxxo posted:

Any reason why you go through grave of saints instead of dropping down past it to the gutter?

I didn't know you could do this!! I suppose if you get the ladders? Better keeping the souls spent on the ladder to yourself and get the souls from the easy boss fight.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Man, the lack of Well! What is it! brings down my enjoyment of co-op & PVP by 20% :smith:

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 18, 2014

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

masato tatanka posted:

I didn't know you could do this!! I suppose if you get the ladders?

Ladders don't help, just go to the Harval's resting place bonfire and back out to the well, and you'll have either a very tough drop to a ledge that you can barely hit if you drop down right, or a very easy drop if you have enough health to just make it to the next ledge down. Only way I can hit the small platform is by rotating 180 degrees by the edge until the small amount of movement pushes me off.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

VisAbsoluta posted:

Man, the lack of Well! What is it! brings down my enjoyment of co-op & PVP by 20% :smith:

There's a really similar one to it minus the two steps forward, but I agree that it just ain't the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

You can get all the way down The Pit in one go with the Silvercat Ring. From Majula, you jump down onto the first platform, then walk off onto the next one down. Walk to the far side and you can drop right down onto the third platform. From the third platform you can do a running jump and if you stay against the wall you'll land right on a much lower platform from which you can jump onto the ledge that leads to Grave of Saints.

HOWEVER, if you instead turn around (or get the Grave of Saints bonfire, warp back to Majula, and go through all of this again) you can drop down onto the platform that has a ladder leading up to a Forgotten Door. There are goodies behind the door, but from the platform beneath it you can simply roll off onto the broken wooden boards and then straight down onto the final ledge, which leads to the area beneath Grave of Saints full of exploding mummies. From there it's a quick jog into The Gutter.

This video shows how to do the whole bit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKtFs8nGi5Y

But really, you should be able to figure it out with at least two brain cells of your own. It's pretty easy.