Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Double post :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Low-Pass Filter
Aug 12, 2007
My (small business) employer does not offer a 401(k). I have been bugging the owners to implement it, but they've been slow to respond, and I have my doubts they'll ever actually do it. Obviously, I am currently looking for other employment, but I am really happy with the job itself and my co-workers, and plan on sticking around at least for a few years.

My question is, can I start a sole-proprietorship of just me, not do any business, and open a Solo 401(k)? Other than the state filing fees for a business (very cheap where I live), and the setup of the Vanguard 401(k) is there any reason this won't work?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Low-Pass Filter posted:

My question is, can I start a sole-proprietorship of just me, not do any business, and open a Solo 401(k)? Other than the state filing fees for a business (very cheap where I live), and the setup of the Vanguard 401(k) is there any reason this won't work?
I think the contributions are limited to earned income from your self-empoyment:

"Contribution limits for self-employed individuals
You must make a special computation to figure the maximum amount of elective deferrals and nonelective contributions you can make for yourself. When figuring the contribution, compensation is your “earned income,” which is defined as net earnings from self-employment after deducting both"

bolded mine

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

IT BURNS posted:

So, MY WIFE and I are debt free - no student loans, car payments, or unsecured debt. Our combined income is 100k, and we have 11k in savings (we had 25k until we recently decided to use a big chunk to pay off a loan). What are some good short-term investment options? We are possibly facing a move/relocation in the next year. Should we focus on rebuilding our savings? We were also considering maxing out our 410k.

Generally the advice is:

1. Emergency fund. Build up 4-6 months of expenses and keep it liquid (i.e., savings account).
2. Roth IRA(s).
3. 401(k).

With your upcoming possible move, that changes things a little with regards to 3... do you own your home? Are you considering buying a home post-move? How much will it cost to move? I'd throw as much as possible in to a normal savings account past your emergency fund to handle that potential. If it turns out you don't need it, you can crank up your 401(k) contributions and make up the difference with that extra money and you'll only be out a few months of growth.

The difference between 1% (bank) and 5% (market) is huge over the long term, but over the short term you'll come out way ahead if you have the savings when you need them rather than having to pull out retirement contributions or going in to debt. Just make sure not to leave the retirement contributions paused for very long.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
What is the goon-approved savings account? I found GE Capital to have the highest rates but they don't integrate with Mint, which I use religiously. I noticed Ally does integrate with Mint, but they only have an APY of .87% versus GE's of .95%. Is Ally any good?

I've always used Wells Fargo and have no real complaints (I never get hit with any fees...) but now that I've got a decent emergency fund, I'd like to get non-zero returns on it.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

chupacabraTERROR posted:

What is the goon-approved savings account? I found GE Capital to have the highest rates but they don't integrate with Mint, which I use religiously. I noticed Ally does integrate with Mint, but they only have an APY of .87% versus GE's of .95%. Is Ally any good?

I've always used Wells Fargo and have no real complaints (I never get hit with any fees...) but now that I've got a decent emergency fund, I'd like to get non-zero returns on it.

When you get down to it, the amount of money you're getting out of the difference is so incredibly small, that it makes sense just to put it wherever is most convenient regardless of return. I would just keep it in your primary bank and enjoy your .2% or whatever it is. All told, the money you make off that is the difference between a meal at McDonalds and a meal at Burger King.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

chupacabraTERROR posted:

All returns come with some amount of risk, so not having a return on your emergency fund shouldn't irk you. .7% versus 1% doesn't really matter all that much in that context. But if you must, the goon-approved answer is to find a local credit union which will probably have above-average rates. I would personally advocate for the former ING Direct, but since Capital One bought them, I dunno anymore.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I'm as skeptical of anyone else of Capital One, but Capital One 360 f.k.a. ING Direct basically hasn't changed at all since the acquisition except for the color scheme of the website. It's been what, almost 2 years now? Same with Sharebuilder.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

SlightlyMadman posted:

When you get down to it, the amount of money you're getting out of the difference is so incredibly small, that it makes sense just to put it wherever is most convenient regardless of return. I would just keep it in your primary bank and enjoy your .2% or whatever it is. All told, the money you make off that is the difference between a meal at McDonalds and a meal at Burger King.

Haha, if only Wells Fargo's rates were that high. https://www.wellsfargo.com/savings-cds/rates/

Chupacabra, I opened an account with Ally weeks ago, and I use WF for my checking. Process went fine. :)

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Minty Swagger posted:

Haha, if only Wells Fargo's rates were that high. https://www.wellsfargo.com/savings-cds/rates/

Chupacabra, I opened an account with Ally weeks ago, and I use WF for my checking. Process went fine. :)

Sweet, I think I'm going to do that. It may not be much money but it's at least $50/yr that's risk-free money... Better than sitting in my WF account!

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Minty Swagger posted:

Wow, yeah I'd probably take my money out of that bank not for the money, but just on the principal of it (no pun intended). I mean, interest rates are poo poo all over, but those rates are what poo poo shits.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

SlightlyMadman posted:

Wow, yeah I'd probably take my money out of that bank not for the money, but just on the principal of it (no pun intended). I mean, interest rates are poo poo all over, but those rates are what poo poo shits.

Eh, I have no real complaints other than the rates. They have branches everywhere (I live in West LA), but I generally don't interface with them at all. I pay 100% of my transactions with credit cards (Amex Blue Cash for groceries/gas, Citi Forward for mostly everything else). The only time I even use my WF accounts is to either pay off the CCs or to pay rent (via check). But still, with a decent average balance these days, I should maybe look into something above 0%?

One bank that caught my eye was Alliant Credit Union http://www.alliantcreditunion.org/depositsinvestments/checking/ If you use online banking and use electronic deposit, you can get 0.65% APY on your checking account. Has anyone used this for checking?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

I have an Alliant checking and savings acct, the savings is a bit better than checking but both are good comparatively. They've been great for me and I recommend them highly.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
SmartyPig still pays 1%.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

moana posted:

I have an Alliant checking and savings acct, the savings is a bit better than checking but both are good comparatively. They've been great for me and I recommend them highly.

Cool, just opened an account with them :) Time to slowly get away from WF. No real complaints about WF but it seems like I can do better elsewhere...

moana
Jun 18, 2005

nickutz posted:

SmartyPig still pays 1%.
Yep, but he was asking about checking. SmartyPig takes me usually 3-5 days to withdraw. It's a good alternative for a savings acct, but not for checking.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
I don't use them but they will be adding a debit card for everyday spending from the account. Says its "coming soon."

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

nickutz posted:

I don't use them but they will be adding a debit card for everyday spending from the account. Says its "coming soon."

They haven't updated their iPhone app since April 2013. I'm not sure I'd rely on their promises for future additions to their service tbh.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
I have my doubts that they would offer you 1% and also give you a debit card to make unlimited transactions. It just doesn't make sense.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

mike- posted:

I have my doubts that they would offer you 1% and also give you a debit card to make unlimited transactions. It just doesn't make sense.

That's what my credit unions do, and offer even better rates. :v:

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
I'm probably going to be putting $5,000 into Vanguard Intermediate-Term Tax-Exempt Fund Investor Shares (VWITX) in the next couple of days and wondering if there's any downside I'm missing. It appears to be a pretty good yield, and tax free. I don't have a 401k at my work, and will max out my ROTH by the end of the year and do a HSA contribution. There's pretty much no plan for the money longterm, just want to get more than .87% or whatever I'm getting with Ally.

Echo 3
Jun 2, 2006

I have a bad feeling about this...

Harry posted:

I'm probably going to be putting $5,000 into Vanguard Intermediate-Term Tax-Exempt Fund Investor Shares (VWITX) in the next couple of days and wondering if there's any downside I'm missing. It appears to be a pretty good yield, and tax free. I don't have a 401k at my work, and will max out my ROTH by the end of the year and do a HSA contribution. There's pretty much no plan for the money longterm, just want to get more than .87% or whatever I'm getting with Ally.

Are you in the top tax bracket? If not, just regular (not tax-exempt) bonds are probably better. Keep in mind that the tax advantage is priced in; typically muni bonds are bought by people in the top tax bracket so they tend to yield the same as a similar corporate bond but minus the top marginal tax rate.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Finance goons: its long past time I should start getting more of a return on my money. Ive got something like 70k in savings, and I think I would be comfortable enough to invest 50 of that. Through work im putting 5% in a 401k, and getting that matched (maximum amount of match). Ive heard good things about the Vanguard funds that require a 10k investment and have super low fees. Can anyone give me a little advice about these or other reasonably safe things to invest in?

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
First, start maxing out an IRA (probably Roth). Do it every year. Then, you have 44k in cash that you're not going to use for a while. How long of a while? Once you decide that, you can decide on the stocks/bonds/cash ratio for it. At that point you've pretty much answered your own question and you can build a corresponding portfolio with 1-4 Vanguard funds. The ones with Admiral shares are cheapest which unfortunately leaves out the very convenient Life Strategy funds, but even they are < 0.2% ER.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Before you start a taxable account though you should max out your 401k. You should use like 50 of the 70k to pay for expenses over the next 3-4 years due to a smaller paycheck from maxing the 401k. Maxing a 401k out costs about 1450 per month, but since it's pre-tax it'll take a bit less than that out.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 18, 2014

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Echo 3 posted:

Are you in the top tax bracket? If not, just regular (not tax-exempt) bonds are probably better. Keep in mind that the tax advantage is priced in; typically muni bonds are bought by people in the top tax bracket so they tend to yield the same as a similar corporate bond but minus the top marginal tax rate.

State Mun bondsi despite the shaky 2009 recession also have a better overall record of avoiding bond defaults compared to junk bonds or corporate bonds.

Lakedaimon posted:

Finance goons: its long past time I should start getting more of a return on my money. Ive got something like 70k in savings, and I think I would be comfortable enough to invest 50 of that. Through work im putting 5% in a 401k, and getting that matched (maximum amount of match). Ive heard good things about the Vanguard funds that require a 10k investment and have super low fees. Can anyone give me a little advice about these or other reasonably safe things to invest in?

With the except of low yield options like CDs there's no such thing as a safe investment. For higher yield investments you need to figure out both you overall timespan for the investment and also you risk tolerance. Vanguard does have a handy ETF matcher on the website which helps pick a few sample funds for you.

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/etf/tools/recommendation?reset=true

etalian fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 18, 2014

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Echo 3 posted:

I'm in the 28% bracket, which seems to put me in the range of break even/slightly ahead going with muni bonds based on past returns (I know this isn't the most accurate way to rate them).

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Moved jobs a few months ago and still have my 401k sitting with their program in Fidelity. I have my IRA, brokerage, checking, and savings accounts with E*Trade and wanted to roll over my 401k so that I can manage/view everything from a single account. Is there any reason not to rollover from Fidelity? E*Trade has given me the option to open a OneStop Rollover that is some special "professionally managed portfolio" that keeps you from being able to trade - is this as bad an idea as it appears to be? The money is mostly in a Vanguard Target Date fund already with a small amount manually managed.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Does eTrade charge that 0.9% fee on top of the ER of the funds you use? Because that would be ridiculously expensive.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Nephzinho posted:

Moved jobs a few months ago and still have my 401k sitting with their program in Fidelity. I have my IRA, brokerage, checking, and savings accounts with E*Trade and wanted to roll over my 401k so that I can manage/view everything from a single account. Is there any reason not to rollover from Fidelity? E*Trade has given me the option to open a OneStop Rollover that is some special "professionally managed portfolio" that keeps you from being able to trade - is this as bad an idea as it appears to be? The money is mostly in a Vanguard Target Date fund already with a small amount manually managed.

I have yet to hear anything good about ETrade and retirement accounts. If you want to see everything on one screen, I would suggest you move everything to Fidelity rather than the other way around. Fidelity has "Spartan" funds with low ERs. ETrade is going to make you pay to move, most likely.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
See title of this thread. It's quite accurate.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

How concerned should I be about expense ratios for 401ks? Obviously, lower is better, though I'm just wondering if I'm safer using a single, balanced fund with a slightly higher ER over using multiple, specific funds with lower ERs.

For some context, I am currently investing in a balance Vanguard fund (VASGX) through my 401k, and it's going away soon; it has an ER of 0.49. I'm planning on either switching to its replacement fund, which is an Invesco fund (ACEKX) with an ER of 0.60. The alternative I was leaning to was splitting my contribution to 40% Int / 40% US / 20% Bond with ERs of 0.34 / 0.42 / 0.42; these are all Vanguard funds (VDMIX / VMVAX / VBTLX). I'm 30 and open to suggestions on adjusting those ratios.

Mainly I like the idea of a lower ER, I just Have No Idea What Im Doing in terms of selecting appropriate funds, and I'm basing those fund ratios on what I've gleaned from this thread. I don't mind a more aggressive fund ratio (lower bond) since I started saving a bit later than I should have.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

ntan1 posted:

See title of this thread. It's quite accurate.

Except they should probably add "and Kevin Spacey" to it now.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

That difference in expense ratios is pretty small. Main concerns are the allocation (which you've already thought about) and the nature of the funds. ACEKX is actively managed with relatively high turnover and I would absolutely not recommend it unless you know what you're getting into with that. It is very different from VASGX, not a reasonable replacement at all.

Velochis
Apr 4, 2002

We go play hope

jooky posted:

(VDMIX / VMVAX / VBTLX)

Of those three funds only VBLTX is an appropriate surrogate for your desires (US/int/bonds). I will elaborate:

It is generally considered a good idea to diversify as much as possible (read for pillars for why). With that on mind owning the every stock in the world is a fantastic starting point for any investor. A total world portfolio really should be the default unless you know enough to consciously deviate to a more personal approach (many people overweight specific sectors).

You can achieve a world portfolio with just three funds: total US, total int, total bond.

I gather you are trying to do this using vdmix and vdmax.

VDMIX is a subset of the total int market, but it is missing Canada and Emerging Markets. The best option is to forget this fund and buy a true total international fund like VGTSX. Failing that, you could supplement this fund with a dedicated emerging markets fund (you'd still be out :canada: , but meh). Of your 401k lacks these funds then use VDMIX and buy an emerging markets in your IRA.

VDMAX only contains mid sized "value" us companies and is a terrible proxy for the total US Market. Some people love mid caps and value (stocks that are viewed as underpriced), but they buy funds like vdmax in addition to their us stock holdings in a deliberate move to overweight this sector. Do you have an S&P500 fund or something to replace it?

VBLTX is great for approximating the total US bond market and it should capture a portion of your portfolio. (20% bonds at age 30 is fairly standard and reasonable).

Post your fund options and we will help you.

Velochis fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 20, 2014

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Hey long-term thread. I have some questions about asset allocation in my 401k, IRA and Roth IRA. The holdings are all with Vanguard. Planned retirement in 2055ish.

There clearly are some issues because I think I'm holding way too many different things. And some of them are redundant (why the hell would I hold 500 Index Admiral Shares and Investor Shares?). I set this up a month or two ago when I rolled over my 401k and Roth 401k from my last job and now I can buy/sell into any fund because the restriction window has cleared. Do you all have any suggestions on how to re-allocate things? The 401k is currently getting the maximum contribution to achieve the full employer match.

The 401k overview didn't give any tickers.

Here's my current allocation. All percentages are "total allocation/allocation within each vehicle".

IRA
code:
VFAIX (Vanguard 500 Index Fund Admiral Shares)                        - 19.12%/39.42%
VGSIX (Vanguard REIT Index Fund Investor Shares)                      - 14.94%/30.81%
VGTSX (Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund Investor Shares) - 14.44%/29.78%
Roth IRA
code:
VFINX (Vanguard 500 Index Fund Investor Shares)            - 11.65%/37.09%
VWEHX (Vanguard High-Yield Corporate Fund Investor Shares) - 13.45%/42.81%
VFFVX (Vanguard Target Retirement 2055 Fund)               - 6.32%/20.10%
code:
Vanguard Convertible Securities Fund                            - 0.99%/4.92%
Vanguard Emerging Markets Stock Index Fund Institutional Shares - 1.00%/4.96%
Vanguard Explorer Fund Admiral Shares                           - 0.94%/4.68%
Vanguard Global Equity Fund                                     - 1.02%/5.07%
Vanguard Institutional Index Fund Institutional Plus Shares     - 4.07%/20.27%
Vanguard International Growth Fund Admiral Shares               - 0.98%/4.88%
Vanguard Mid-Cap Index Fund Institutional Plus Shares           - 5.08%/25.27%
Vanguard PRIMECAP Fund Admiral Shares                           - 2.06%/10.23%
Vanguard Small-Cap Index Fund Institutional Plus Shares         - 2.98%/14.85%
Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Fund Institutional Plus Shares - 0.98%/4.87%
I was thinking of at bare minimum getting rid of VFINX since I'm already pretty well covered by the Admiral Shares. I'd also like to move out of VFFVX, since it's allocation is probably just mirroring what I've already done here.

Any suggestions?

edit: I'd also appreciate if no one quotes this since I'm going to edit out the specifics of my portfolio holdings once I figure out what to do.

axeil fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 20, 2014

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Come at it from the other direction. Figure out what you want and how to get it with 2-4 funds (you can) and then rearrange everything to match.

Kilty Monroe
Dec 27, 2006

Upon the frozen fields of arctic Strana Mechty, the Ghost Dads lie in wait, preparing to ambush their prey with their zippin' and zoppin' and ziggy-zoop-boppin'.
What's the rationale behind having both a Traditional and Roth IRA?

If you're saving pre-tax anyways, those Institutional Plus class funds in your 401k are the way to go and I'd prioritize maxing that over more Traditional IRA contributions. All it lacks is a good international index (emerging markets and international growth don't cut it).

e: vvvv I mean for axeil specifically. He didn't want his post quoted.

Kilty Monroe fucked around with this message at 07:45 on May 22, 2014

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Kilty Monroe posted:

What's the rationale behind having both a Traditional and Roth IRA?

If you're saving pre-tax anyways, those Institutional Plus class funds in your 401k are the way to go and I'd prioritize maxing that over more Traditional IRA contributions. All it lacks is a good international index (emerging markets and international growth don't cut it).
Backdoor contributions, for one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
I'm a little confused with Vanguard. I'm trying to open an account for my kids' savings ($6k). The savings are primarily for college but I want them to have the freedom to buy other things if college ends up being less expensive than what the fund has 14-15 years from now.

I'd like to put it in VFINX, but Vanguard is asking for a settlement fund first:

quote:

Select a settlement fund for your brokerage account

To purchase stocks, bonds, ETFs, CDs, non-Vanguard mutual funds, and other securities within your brokerage account, you need a Vanguard money market settlement fund to pay for and receive proceeds from your brokerage trades. Once you have money in this fund and your brokerage application is approved, you'll be able to buy individual securities and other investments.

and offers these two guys:

VMMXX Prime Money Market Fund
VMSXX Tax-Exempt Money Market Fund

Why are they asking for this and which do I go with?