Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

lol internet. posted:

Can someone point me to the home renovation\improvement thread if one exists?

There's actually an entire subforum.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=210

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

the posted:

Make a dropbox account

Or mail her a flash drive. a 4gb one has to be like $3 now and you can fit it in an envelope.

A free Dropbox account is still a pitiful 2gb.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

God I'm blind.

Thanks!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

the posted:

Make a dropbox account

Or mail her a flash drive. a 4gb one has to be like $3 now and you can fit it in an envelope.

Just chuck it on Google drive. 15gb for free.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Anyone know a website that sells decent hats for large (63cm) heads?

Most of the hats in that size just seem to be fedoras :(

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

FCKGW posted:

The guy who lost the phone was an Apple employee and I'm assuming he lost his job.

The guy who found the phone he was arrested for "misappropriation of lost property". He paid a $125 fine, did 40 hours of community service and a 1 year probation.

Adrian Chen, the guy who wrote the article, got his poo poo confiscated for a while while Apple mulled over pressing charges and ultimately passed. He got is back a while later.

Yeah I know all that other stuff, but does anyone know what actually happened to the employee instead of assumptions? Someone must know someone who works in the valley.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
What is the logic behind Amazon showing you ads for things you just bought? Like, the banner ad on this page right now is showing me an ad for a Dyson vacuum, because I just bought that vacuum on Amazon. Sooooo...what is that ad intended to get me to do, buy another?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Yeah I know all that other stuff, but does anyone know what actually happened to the employee instead of assumptions? Someone must know someone who works in the valley.

Send Adrian Chen an email, maybe?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
My gmail was compromised about 6 weeks ago. I changed all my passwords on all my sites and switched to Google double code text verification.

A couple of computers in my small programs computer lab had been set to remember my gmail information.

Yesterday in the morning my account sent out spam mail.
In the afternoon I changed my passwords again, and did that gmail setting thing where it no longer let any other computer or device remember my gmail information.

A few hours after this I updated (synced) my droid to access my gmail.

That night my email sent out more spam

I am in safe mode with a full updated malware and virus scan underway.

What else can I do?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Rabbit Hill posted:

What is the logic behind Amazon showing you ads for things you just bought? Like, the banner ad on this page right now is showing me an ad for a Dyson vacuum, because I just bought that vacuum on Amazon. Sooooo...what is that ad intended to get me to do, buy another?

It's probably easier to know what you've looked at or searched for than it is to do that AND know what you've bought. Or maybe it's not clear to the ad server that a vacuum is the kind of thing that you only need one of.

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

What else can I do?

Try the scans again from a linux boot disk. Consider resetting your droid. Then turn on 2-factor authentication for your gmail account.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
are you 100% sure the spam is coming from your gmail account and not just someone forging your email address? If you are sure how are you sure?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Yeah, check the Sent Items folder in your Gmail account. If you see the spam messages there, then your account is still compromised somehow. If not, then chances are they're just putting your email in the "reply-to" field, which there's not a ton you can do about.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

My gmail was compromised about 6 weeks ago. I changed all my passwords on all my sites and switched to Google double code text verification.

A couple of computers in my small programs computer lab had been set to remember my gmail information.

Yesterday in the morning my account sent out spam mail.
In the afternoon I changed my passwords again, and did that gmail setting thing where it no longer let any other computer or device remember my gmail information.

A few hours after this I updated (synced) my droid to access my gmail.

What else can I do?

Are the emails actually in your sent folder or are your friends receiving emails that purports to be from you? It sounds they originally got a hold of your contact list and are just spoofing your email.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
There was nothing in the sent email folder. So it is possible they just grabbed my contact list. Further, as of now, the only people who have received spam from this recent event were people who had also received spam from the previous event, which supports your theory. But if my account was compromised, couldnt they just delete the message from the sent folder?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I loving hate that it's possible to put my email address as the sender when I didn't send it. gently caress you internet.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Should I play DOTA 2 or League of Legends, and why?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

There was nothing in the sent email folder. So it is possible they just grabbed my contact list. Further, as of now, the only people who have received spam from this recent event were people who had also received spam from the previous event, which supports your theory. But if my account was compromised, couldnt they just delete the message from the sent folder?

They could, but then what's the point? Your contacts will notify you regardless, they aren't covering up any tracks.

Getting spoofed email is quite common especially with gmail because by default they add everyone you've sent or received mail from to the contact list. It happened to my wife and mother when their accounts were compromised. Just let the receivers know to disregard them but other then that there's not much you can do. They'll eventually get swept in in gmail's filters and will disappear completely.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Turtlicious posted:

Having played both. Dota 2, because there's more subtleties.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

No. They will make you angry.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I bought these bad boys at Goodwill today:

Neither had a power adapter near them, or even in the giant "bin o' power adapters." I want to buy a couple generic adapters that will work so I can sell them on eBay or craigslist.

The one on the top takes a generic barrel-type connector, so it shouldn't be hard to find one that will work with it.

But the one on the bottom has this two-pronged dealie:

Is there a specific name for this type of connector to make it easier to find a replacement?

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
For the past several weeks, every time I try to search the SA forums, it immediately tells me there are no results to display. This happens on both Firefox and Chrome, and regardless of any filters that are or are no selected. Did I break something?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

FCKGW posted:

They could, but then what's the point? Your contacts will notify you regardless, they aren't covering up any tracks.

Getting spoofed email is quite common especially with gmail because by default they add everyone you've sent or received mail from to the contact list. It happened to my wife and mother when their accounts were compromised. Just let the receivers know to disregard them but other then that there's not much you can do. They'll eventually get swept in in gmail's filters and will disappear completely.

Ok, thank you!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

DrBouvenstein posted:

Is there a specific name for this type of connector to make it easier to find a replacement?

You can look at this site. It looks kinda like the second one in the middle.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

There was nothing in the sent email folder. So it is possible they just grabbed my contact list.

It's more likely your account was never compromised in the first place.

This is called a Joe Job.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Mister Kingdom posted:

You can look at this site. It looks kinda like the second one in the middle.

No, it's a DC input (12V, 1.6A) and a little smaller than that.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Vorenus posted:

For the past several weeks, every time I try to search the SA forums, it immediately tells me there are no results to display. This happens on both Firefox and Chrome, and regardless of any filters that are or are no selected. Did I break something?

Yes. It is all your fault and you should feel bad about what you did because now none of us can use search or archives.

Monster.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Motronic posted:

It's more likely your account was never compromised in the first place.

This is called a Joe Job.

and to be clear, it's probably from some spam bot in Uzbekistan not someone you know dicking with you.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

I bought these bad boys at Goodwill today:

Neither had a power adapter near them, or even in the giant "bin o' power adapters." I want to buy a couple generic adapters that will work so I can sell them on eBay or craigslist.

The one on the top takes a generic barrel-type connector, so it shouldn't be hard to find one that will work with it.

But the one on the bottom has this two-pronged dealie:

I actually bought some sonic walls from a goodwill a few years back as well! Flipped them for a couple hundred bucks.

If I recall correctly those jacks are a power brick with a proprietary plug, universals won't work. Luckily you should be able to pick them up on eBay as log as you know the model number of the sonic wall.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

What's the genre of the song 12 minutes in? I love it, and would like to hear more like it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpMCJxT6SbE

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
edit: gently caress it, I have no idea.

Cheesewhiz
May 16, 2014

baquerd posted:

The key here is to live in a concrete floor/wall basement with a floor drain so you can just hose it down whenever. And hey, you can also get a shower at the same time!

We've got that. Its called jail.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

taco show posted:

What's the genre of the song 12 minutes in? I love it, and would like to hear more like it...

Technically, acapella doo wop, I'd say.

Not sure that's going to be helpful though.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

FCKGW posted:

I actually bought some sonic walls from a goodwill a few years back as well! Flipped them for a couple hundred bucks.

If I recall correctly those jacks are a power brick with a proprietary plug, universals won't work. Luckily you should be able to pick them up on eBay as log as you know the model number of the sonic wall.

Well, I found an adapter for one, but not the other. I guess I'll just sell it missing the power cord.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

taco show posted:

Being the intro to the next (doo wop) song, it's a falsetto a capella, which isn't a genre, heh.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

taco show posted:

Trigger warning: :spergin:

The song would probably fall under doo-wop or rhythm & blues (early parts of it sound more doo-wop, later parts more R&B). He is performing the song in an a cappella style, which is to say without instrumental accompaniment; it's not technically part of the genre of the music. You could arrange the song to be performed with an orchestra, and it would still be a doo-wop or R&B song; you could also change around the chords and phrasing, and turn it into a punk song or metal song (which you could perform a cappella or with a band).

If you want to find more music like it, you should figure out what, exactly, you like about it. You might try just seeding it on a Pandora station and see what else pops up.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"
If I have seven hundred 1-pixel wide image files and I want to stitch them next to each other in Photoshop, what would be the best way to go about doing it ? The file names are numbered in the order I'd like them to be.
I could do it manually, but I'd like to avoid a couple hours of work and fatigue.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
When wearing a shirt that doesn't get tucked in, how can I prevent my belt from occasionally pulling my stomach hair? I'm too lazy/don't-give-a-gently caress to shave there.

Werner-Boogle
Jan 23, 2009

hooah posted:

When wearing a shirt that doesn't get tucked in, how can I prevent my belt from occasionally pulling my stomach hair? I'm too lazy/don't-give-a-gently caress to shave there.

Wear underpants????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Werner-Boogle posted:

Wear underpants????

My underwear's top is even with that of my pants????