Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

BonHair posted:

"I'm doing something horrible, but I am also doing this other horrible thing, so it's okay." gently caress this gay earth.

I used to smoke a pipe in college, and I used to wear a fedora from rei that I used for hiking and camping.

I don't do either any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Ambitious Spider posted:

I used to smoke a pipe in college, and I used to wear a fedora from rei that I used for hiking and camping.

I don't do either any more.

At university I was so close to a fedora wearer it makes me cringe. Wore suits to lectures, smoked a pipe and called women m'dear sometimes. Never wore a fedora but I was clearly a massive dick looking back.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Experto Crede posted:

At university I was so close to a fedora wearer it makes me cringe. Wore suits to lectures, smoked a pipe and called women m'dear sometimes. Never wore a fedora but I was clearly a massive dick looking back.

How do you even get started on that path? That is not a rhetorical question, I am genuinely curious. I don't think I have Aspergers, but I have never been able to fathom what causes people to pattern themselves after fashion and personality stereotypes. I am almost certain there is some kind of social component, but I don't know what it is.

Was the "m'dear" stuff condescension, or did you think it was mature, or was it something else? What about the pipe?

silencekit
May 1, 2014

Experto Crede posted:

How did women react to being called "m'dear"?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I think a lot of it comes down to people noticing actors and other famous people sporting a look (whether historic or modern) and the mannerisms that seem to go with it, and think they have the looks, personality, etc. to pull it off for themselves, when they really, really don't.

Another part of it could also be them making the look a part of their personality... In the sense that it draws attention to them, and they think that's a perfectly acceptable alternative to having an actually attractive personality.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Socially awkward people idealize the past, because rather than seeing the entire picture, they only see the stuff in popular culture and media. So rather than focus on the general horribleness of living in, say, the 18th Century, they pick up certain things like pipes and vests, and use archaic language in order to appear unique. It's a substitute for an actual personality, because social interaction is much easier when they have a set of phrases, such as "m'lady" and movie quotations, rather than the pressure of voicing original thoughts. The fedora is so widespread because it represents a suave 50s style that is old fashioned but also "classy".

That's just my theory at least. I bought a fedora in highschool and wore it a couple times, before realizing how ridiculous it looks. There's still a picture of me wearing it on the internet though, so I guess I won't be running for public office.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Centripetal Horse posted:

How do you even get started on that path? That is not a rhetorical question, I am genuinely curious. I don't think I have Aspergers, but I have never been able to fathom what causes people to pattern themselves after fashion and personality stereotypes. I am almost certain there is some kind of social component, but I don't know what it is.

Was the "m'dear" stuff condescension, or did you think it was mature, or was it something else? What about the pipe?

Basically just wanting to embrace university and a new life and a chance to forge a new identity as an adult let loose in the world. I didn't see myself as better than others, it was just my personal look. After about six months I realised I was being a massive knob and toned it down a lot.

The m'dear bit was just a bit of a silly nickname for the women I hung out with, it wasn't my general term when speaking to people I didn't know.

As for the pipe, I just thought it was kind of cool, and an interesting way to try lots of cool flavoured tobaccos.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wore my only suit a lot, because it made me feel not poor and confident. Then I realized that it just showed everyone how poor I really was.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Experto Crede posted:

Basically just wanting to embrace university and a new life and a chance to forge a new identity as an adult let loose in the world. I didn't see myself as better than others, it was just my personal look. After about six months I realised I was being a massive knob and toned it down a lot.

The m'dear bit was just a bit of a silly nickname for the women I hung out with, it wasn't my general term when speaking to people I didn't know.

As for the pipe, I just thought it was kind of cool, and an interesting way to try lots of cool flavoured tobaccos.

See, this is one of those situations where each individual item seems perfectly reasonable, but somehow the whole is far, far worse than the sum of the parts. At least you seem to have caught it fairly early.

Your word selections imply that you are not in the USA. Are fedora-wearing, m'ladying stereotypes widespread across the globe?

Turtlicious posted:

I wore my only suit a lot, because it made me feel not poor and confident. Then I realized that it just showed everyone how poor I really was.

This one I totally understand. Maybe it is not fair, but your story causes me to feel sympathy, whereas seeing fedora-sporters posting terrible opinions online causes me to feel contempt and low-grade annoyance.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

trapped mouse posted:

Socially awkward people idealize the past, because rather than seeing the entire picture, they only see the stuff in popular culture and media.

No I don't, the past was poo poo!

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Mister Adequate posted:

No I don't, the past was poo poo!

For some of the fedora-wearers, I think it's because they've seen Mad Men and classic movies and they yearn for a time when just being a straight white male meant you were WINNING. If you're insecure, having the bar of personal success and authority set that low must seem like paradise.

And as someone who was around for the last part of the sixties, yes, the past was poo poo and all of the rose-colored fedora-wearing doesn't change that.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I don't know. A rose-colored fedora would be pretty awesome from a peacocking standpoint.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Honestly I think a big part of it is that your average walmart only has baseball caps, flat-caps, and fedoras/trilbys, with the occasional straw hat in summer wear. Baseball caps are too associated with sports and douchebags, so the discerning neckbeard might throw a fedora in his shopping cart along with his graphic tees and Funyuns.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Your word selections imply that you are not in the USA. Are fedora-wearing, m'ladying stereotypes widespread across the globe?

In the UK they're prevalent and exist around western Europe as well (I know a few here in the Netherlands, albeit not well). I knew a whole bunch of fedoratards in the UK.

Also my first boyfriend used to call me M'Lady (thankfully he did not wear a fedora) and I thought it was kinda cute, because I was 15 and he was 18. :cripes:

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
There's quite a few in the UK, but they tend to be classist as well as sexist and racist, so they do all the old-fashioned etiquette not just as a way of appearing classy but as a way of shutting out the proles. At the Edinburgh Fringe two years ago there were a lot of poo poo comedians with sexist or racist or just plain gross routines because apparently making fun of minorities and women was edgy and different, despite the fact that all the other comedians were doing it and there are still a ton of people who really believe that stuff. There were fedoras everywhere queueing up for it all and wandering around town in board shorts or red chinos(?) and T-shirts with "ironic" slogans. Last year there was a backlash though and a lot of anti-racist and feminist comedians topped the bills and got great reviews. Didn't see as many fedoras outside those gigs.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

The pipe thing:it was cool and wacky and different. I was that dude who smoked a pipe at parties. To be honest the pipe thing didn't last long. I moved on to Skoal, and finally cigarettes like a normal person, before eventually quitting all together

The fedora, I bought it for utilitarian purposes when I was (briefly) trying my hand at being an outdoorsman.

This one: http://www.rei.com/product/631470/dorfman-pacific-all-season-crushable-hat I didn't buy it online so I didn't see the "stylish" in the descriptor. It was an impulse purchase along with a canteen , hiking boots and other things. And this was way after college

Not to say I didn't have any hat problems in college. I wore one of these, like constantly, to my friend's constant chagrin.

:cripes:

at least I've come a long way since then.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
If a fedora gets a feather, does that hat get a fishing lure?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Ambitious Spider posted:

The fedora, I bought it for utilitarian purposes when I was (briefly) trying my hand at being an outdoorsman.

This one: http://www.rei.com/product/631470/dorfman-pacific-all-season-crushable-hat I didn't buy it online so I didn't see the "stylish" in the descriptor. It was an impulse purchase along with a canteen , hiking boots and other things. And this was way after college

I think wearing a fedora to be like Indiana Jones is more acceptable than wearing a fedora to be 1950's Detective Guy. Not much more acceptable, mind, but still.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Wait I thought m'lady fedora types wear their fedora with their 'witty' (I use this loosely) t-shirts, cargo shorts, and dress shoes. Am I wrong?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
There are a few varieties. Fedora and t-shirt guys are more just nerds usually, whereas the really creepy guys are the ones that are in full 1950s business regalia all the time.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Experto Crede posted:

I honestly dress casually 'cause where I'm from, wearing something with buttons on that isn't a cold weather jacket or jeans is a good sign someone's more of a gaping rear end in a top hat than the goatman, but I did get a pipe when I was introduced to weed and it saved my rear end a couple times in college during... let's call 'em "unplanned interactions with officers of the law." Cops get nuts over glassware and brushed aluminum, but if you have a varnished pipe, you're just some jackass kid playing with tobacco to them.

As for hats? gently caress 'em, my hair's too wild for that.

Fur20 has a new favorite as of 19:43 on May 18, 2014

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

If you are actively on a trail/outside/fishing in that hat, nobody will (or at least should) judge you for it. That's a perfectly valid hat for keeping the sun off your pasty neck and cheeks.

If you wore that on campus while walking around.. yeah that might make you a weirdo.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Sodom and Gomorrah, jorts and a fedora.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Henchman of Santa posted:

There are a few varieties. Fedora and t-shirt guys are more just nerds usually, whereas the really creepy guys are the ones that are in full 1950s business regalia all the time.

I see. It's a shame, too, since fedoras are great accessories for certain kinds of formal events. Like mobster-style wedding party.

What about sweater vests? They're my go-to formal wear unless it's piss-hot outside.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Sweater vests are usually fine.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
What about normal vests?

SpliffClavin
Jul 31, 2007

oh geez rick
*jotting down goon fashion advice*

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
A fedora is a dress hat. If you're going somewhere hats are appropriate and you're dressed formally, you can wear a fedora. Especially if it's explicitly mobster-themed; that's the whole point of theming. As long as you're somewhat able to pull it off, it'll be seen as a quirk at most. Same with pipes or whatever else. Have a sense of restraint and don't be a socially maladjusted neckbeard and you can pull off most things.

Disclaimer: I don't own a fedora; not a hat guy.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Let's just all wear tricorns.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Bring back powdered wigs.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Would they just be like classic powdered wigs or would we get a modern update where you have a wide variety of them. I wouldn't do a powdered ponytail but I might be inclined to wear powdered dreadlocks.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Is this really a fedora? I have one like it that I wear kayaking (to keep the sun off my pasty white cheeks and neck) and it's just called a bucket hat. Or a Gilligan hat, for this guy.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

nucleicmaxid posted:

If you wore that on campus while walking around.. yeah that might make you a weirdo.

More than might. Anyway, my days of wearing hats, inappropriate or otherwise, is long gone..

^and yea, that was a bucket hat

Ambitious Spider has a new favorite as of 21:11 on May 18, 2014

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

The AUG thread is leaking. Posts pics of yourselves in hats please.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FREEDOM is coming. :911:

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Picnic Princess posted:

The AUG thread is leaking. Posts pics of yourselves in hats please.

RareAcumen posted:

Hevenly indeed

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

RareAcumen posted:

I think you mean "FREDOM"

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Bored posted: