Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Do any of the early boss souls make any good thing or can I munch them down for sweet sweet levels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

The Last Giant's soul makes a crappy axe. The Pursuer's soul can be made into a decent shield or ultra greatsword. Neither are amazing that I remember but they're okay. The Dragonrider stuff is not great for most people either.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Dragonrider's bow is alright I think. Pursuer's sword is supposed to be decent.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

The Last Giant, Old Dragonslayer and Ruin Sentinel only have a single, build-specific use (superheavy greataxe, Fth-Dex intensive lightning spear, sorcery spell). Pursuer, Flexile Sentry and Dragonrider turn into so many things that it's likely that at least one of the options might be more useful than just a lump sum of souls.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
So, I've seen this area in screenshots and previews of the game, but actually getting here for the first time is realllllly cool.

Also, am I close to the end of the game? I'm loving it, but I'm pushing 40 hours, dear god.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
The numbers on Pursuers sword are good but the moveset is terrible as it mixes in some great hammer moves where you don't want them. Pursuers sword has been my biggest regret spending of dragon bones.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Successfully persuading someone who summoned me to actually light the windmill on fire has been my favorite co-op experience so far.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Senethro posted:

The numbers on Pursuers sword are good but the moveset is terrible as it mixes in some great hammer moves where you don't want them. Pursuers sword has been my biggest regret spending of dragon bones.

Yeah I really regret getting it instead of the shield. Though, the dragonrider greatshield isn't that bad. It's really stable and has high resistances. Heavy though, and the shield bash is really kind of poo poo on all the greatshields.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

zfleeman posted:

So, I've seen this area in screenshots and previews of the game, but actually getting here for the first time is realllllly cool.

Also, am I close to the end of the game? I'm loving it, but I'm pushing 40 hours, dear god.

Considering where you are, you are pretty close to end game. Also yes it is very satisfying when someone knows to turn off the poison. I tend to try to point to them the windmill.

Only for them to fall off and die.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

zfleeman posted:

You're pretty much two/three boss fights away at this point.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

zfleeman posted:

I went in completely blind and that area was amazing. You're almost at the end.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

ACTION AMERICAN posted:

Can someone give me a quick breakdown of weapons that benefit most from a lightning infusion?

I've mentioned it before, but a +5 Lightning Barbed Club (flexile sentry soul) does sick amounts of damage with a faith build, especially with the requisite Sunlight Blade buff. I intend to powerstance them when I get to NG+.

Unfortunately, it does take dragon bones to upgrade.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

With boss souls in mind, has anyone found a real use for Blinding Bolt?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

zfleeman posted:

Absolutely gorgeous zone, I was surprised to find you have to trek across the bluffs for a bit before reaching the castle proper. It's really neat.

Dragon Shrine is the last zone in the game technically, once you get there it's now only a matter of backtracking to previous areas and tying the plot up.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

VisAbsoluta posted:

Man, the lack of Well! What is it! brings down my enjoyment of co-op & PVP by 20% :smith:

'This one's me' makes your character do a two-thumbs "who's awesome? this guy" gesture, which when combined with Mock and Decapitate form a good arsenal for post-kill emoting

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I like to use Welcome on people killed in the Bellfry.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Graviija posted:

The Pursuer is incredibly easy if you have even the slightest ability to roll. I don't see why you would need ballistas or whatever to kill him.

Exactly. He's an easy boss no matter what so why not kill him with the least amount of effort possible. Next you'll be telling me you don't just get the Dragonrider to fall off his platform every time.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

The only proper way to kill The Pursuer is as a phantom while also killing the host with the same shot.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Genocyber posted:

Exactly. He's an easy boss no matter what so why not kill him with the least amount of effort possible. Next you'll be telling me you don't just get the Dragonrider to fall off his platform every time.

You quoted something from three pages ago just to reinforce the impression that you're a robot. If you're at the point in the Dark Souls where you are gauging everything by how much "effort" it's going to take to accomplish then you should probably just stop loving playing. Normal people gauge "fun" when playing a video game, not effort. You should try it sometime.

Mariposa
Sep 12, 2010
I just got stomped by this guy in the belltower, and then 2 hours later he summoned me to help me beat the Iron King in NG+. :)

I still run into hackers from time to time, though; that finger wag gesture is especially annoying when it's done by someone obviously cheating.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

You quoted something from three pages ago just to reinforce the impression that you're a robot. If you're at the point in the Dark Souls where you are gauging everything by how much "effort" it's going to take to accomplish then you should probably just stop loving playing. Normal people gauge "fun" when playing a video game, not effort. You should try it sometime.

It's not worth the effort because it's a very easy boss. Which is why I mentioned Dragonrider, because that too is such an easy boss that there is no real point in giving any effort in the fight.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Is there any better weapon for a mage to use than an infused homunculus mace?

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Genocyber posted:

It's not worth the effort because it's a very easy boss. Which is why I mentioned Dragonrider, because that too is such an easy boss that there is no real point in giving any effort in the fight.

Sure there is. For a lot of players the fun comes from beating the bosses on their premises, not the most effortless way. That's why you hear a lot say they went in blind on their first run and/or didn't summon other players to help them the first time.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Killing the Pursuer when he first appears is actually a decent challenge since you'll be very poorly equipped to deal with him. Also you only have one shot at it so you can't screw it up.

Tetracube posted:

Is there any better weapon for a mage to use than an infused homunculus mace?

You're gonna be hard pressed to find a weapon better than a mace in terms of pure efficiency. There are plenty of weapons that can work just fine but a mace is going to be best, unless you have a huge amount of int. In that case I think the Moonlight Greatsword is better.

So why do the sunlight miracles exist? In Dark Souls their gimmick was that you could heal other players, but every healing spell does that now. I've never seen anyone use the sunlight spells and I'm not surprised since they seem completely pointless.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 18, 2014

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

zfleeman posted:

i was at 95 hours when i got to that point.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

So why do the sunlight miracles exist? In Dark Souls their gimmick was that you could heal other players, but every healing spell does that now. I've never seen anyone use the sunlight spells and I'm not surprised since they seem completely pointless.

Don't the stronger ones provide good gradual regen? It can help on a boss, I guess, but not as much as popping a great heal.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Why would anyone use anything other than a striking weapon outside of fashion souls? I've been running around with a Longsword and anything wearing armor takes a tedious amount of time to down, while nothing seems to be resistant to strike damage.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

DSauer posted:

Why would anyone use anything other than a striking weapon outside of fashion souls? I've been running around with a Longsword and anything wearing armor takes a tedious amount of time to down, while nothing seems to be resistant to strike damage.

Because one of the fun things about these games, at least to me, is that there is a ton of different weapons with unique move sets. Some of them suck, but most of them are perfectly usable in PvE. Going through the game with the same weapon isn't as interesting as trying something new, even if that weapon makes things more challenging. I only bust out the mace when I'm doing a minimum SM dickwraith run and am just trying to reach Undead Crypt as quickly as possible.

I don't see other weapons as doing low damage, just the mace doing an absurd amount. Everything feels like it dies so quickly when I use the mace, even when its barely upgraded. The damage is just way too good.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
From the weird corpses department: I'm not entirely sure what happened here, but it sure is something.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

DSauer posted:

The few things that are weak to slashing/thrust attacks (or at least not vulnerable to striking damage) have very low HP and defenses to start with, so you're unlikely to even notice it.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

From the weird corpses department: I'm not entirely sure what happened here, but it sure is something.

The Ancient Drangleics practiced ceremonial burial proving that they had an advance culture with an understanding of death and its meaning. Only in a game as open ended as Dark Souls can you play as a paleo anthropologist.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

I usually see "Be wary of lava, skeleton!" at the second one.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

I'm also responsible for a 'listen carefully' there, those heals came in useful.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Shrine of Amana two-handed axe report so far:

The casters aren't the problem, it's trying to get away from that pair of archdrakes that's a real pain in the rear end because somehow they can sprint full speed through water while all you can do is wade slightly faster. Eventually just stuck to the first island away from the healer and fought them both rather than trying to funnel them into a 1v1 situation. Died three times, the worst one was when I cleared the enemies, then when going back to collect items, I fell off a ledge.

Wish me luck for the next segment!

e: next segment status: punked. Killed the invader, went back to the bonfire, killed everything else.

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 18, 2014

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

PublicOpinion posted:

The Hollowed miner in Harvest Valley, next to the first pair of dark giants:

"Try hitting with a rock, Hollow!"

(he's banging on the wall with a rock)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PublicOpinion posted:

In front of the poison pool at the harvest valley bonfire I put down "don't give up, skeleton!" at the skeleton trying to crawl out. It's so close!

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

They bumped into each other. That's the result :(

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

And the demon of song is down. Really the only hard part of the shrine is those two rear end in a top hat archdrakes before the third bonfire. It's not even casters complicating things since you can kill both casters before having to fight them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

So I joined the Blue Sentinels in NG+ thinking I would get a bunch of hits, I looked at the wiki at this can't be right it wants 500 Victories for max rank? Sunbroing was only 30 and it is infinitely easier to do and repeat.