Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

BJPaskoff posted:

Just the opposite, really. We just hit 5000 judges, so the push for more judges about a year ago is working really well. I have to groan whenever I see awesome judge promos, because I know that the people whose eyes turn to dollar signs when they see them are going to beg me to give them the judge test. Meanwhile, if you're only a level 1 judge - and if you're only in it for the promos, you're not going to judge enough events to become level 2 - you're going to have a hard time getting approved for GPs, which is where the good promos are given out.

Don't forget that even SCG Opens are reducing the number of L1s on staff, as well.

Ohio States had over 200 players, surprisingly. It was just a glorified IQ with worse prizes, so I don't get it. We had seven judges on staff, but one of them called in sick. The head judge and I were the only judges with any real experience. Thankfully, Standard isn't the most demanding format, as far as judge calls go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

It'll be like yugioh, where it's painfully accurate to the rules and the message of the story is something to do with game mechanics.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

mcmagic posted:

Block constructed is a pretty boring format. Even less verity than your typical standard tourney.

There's a reason why there are only 1-2 block events a year, when the card pool is this small the meta becomes stabilized very quickly, and there are usually only a few viable decks.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I played some theros draft with p1p1 being Eidolon of Blossoms and it ended up being just about as nutty as this match on stream. Such a good card.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

BJPaskoff posted:

Just the opposite, really. We just hit 5000 judges, so the push for more judges about a year ago is working really well. I have to groan whenever I see awesome judge promos, because I know that the people whose eyes turn to dollar signs when they see them are going to beg me to give them the judge test. Meanwhile, if you're only a level 1 judge - and if you're only in it for the promos, you're not going to judge enough events to become level 2 - you're going to have a hard time getting approved for GPs, which is where the good promos are given out.

It's really a shame that somebody would just become a judge for the pretty cards.

I mean yes they're pretty, but if you're going to waste a lot of people's time for one force of will you're the problem.

meanolmrcloud posted:

I played some theros draft with p1p1 being Eidolon of Blossoms and it ended up being just about as nutty as this match on stream. Such a good card.

Turns out Verduran Enchantress is still really good, even with legs.

And nobody believed me until I 4-0'd a JBT draft with a constellation deck with two of them. :getin:

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Is a block constructed Pro-Tour a good example of the decks that will be improved upon and perhaps viable during the first few months of a new fall block?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Do we know what time to expect fall block spoilers? Since we're getting it so late it would be neat to see a little more than a name & a descriptive paragraph today.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

goferchan posted:

Do we know what time to expect fall block spoilers? Since we're getting it so late it would be neat to see a little more than a name & a descriptive paragraph today.

When did they say there were gonna announce it formally?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

End of Life Guy posted:

Is a block constructed Pro-Tour a good example of the decks that will be improved upon and perhaps viable during the first few months of a new fall block?

No

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

End of Life Guy posted:

Nope. The only deck you can count on is some red aggro that will be good for like 2 weeks until control figures out its makeup. This happens every standard rotation more or less.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

goferchan posted:

After the last quarterfinal. We're getting the name, setting, and some art for sure.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

End of Life Guy posted:

It is a step up from limited for constructed evaluation, but there are two big problems: The first is that higher power cards can push out lower power cards, which in turn changes what the middle of the pack cards do or don't do. Things that are good against cards that get pushed out are suddenly garbage, and cards that are nullified by those cards being pushed out improve or become relevant. A real wrath, by the way, is a huge change in a metagame. The second is that many decks are built around a critical mass of certain things - one drops, burn spells, enchantments, so on and so forth - and many of those decks just can't be finished full stop in block.

For a good example look at the deck that won PT Avacyn Restored. Or just the interview Hayne did about Feeling of Dread five through eight. Block constructed is weird. But it does give you some ideas and new information, so it isn't something totally worth ignoring either.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Mob posted:

After the last quarterfinal. We're getting the name, setting, and some art for sure.

I don't know where the source is for this, but everyone on Reddit seems to think it's supposed to have an irregular block structure that we'll find more about today. MaRo apparently posted he was interested in hearing how people react to it, for whatever that's worth.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I'm really looking forward to Huey, especially hoping it somehow causes a shake-up after the last two blocks have honestly not been all that great.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Mob posted:

Hopefully the art won't be just be a planeswalker in front of a generic background.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

goferchan posted:

I don't know where the source is for this, but everyone on Reddit seems to think it's supposed to have an irregular block structure that we'll find more about today. MaRo apparently posted he was interested in hearing how people react to it, for whatever that's worth.

Maro has said in articles that the original pitch for the block that was to be Theros was going to be something with a unique block pattern that supposedly Brady Dommermuth and the creative team basically said "we can't do this without more time", and Maro has indicated this was the post Theros set. Of course this could have been misstated as sometimes Maro does.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'm really looking forward to Huey, especially hoping it somehow causes a shake-up after the last two blocks have honestly not been all that great.

There's nothing wrong per se with Theros block, it plays well and is reasonably well balanced in standard, but it's because we've had blocks people have been so excited for in the last 5 years. Theros is a good block to have made, and I would think that having one of it's quality evey 3 or 4 years is probably good for the overall game.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

goferchan posted:

MaRo said it was pitched with an irregular structure on in his DailyMTG column.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Play faster, I want to learn about Huey... :f5:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Pinwiz11 posted:

Play faster, I want to learn about Huey... :f5:

Get ready to wait, control games are never short.

Unless the control player mana screws.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Count Bleck posted:

Get ready to wait, control games are never short.

Unless the control player mana screws.

Once again, Control Players Are Bad People. :v:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Pinwiz11 posted:

Once again, Control Players Are Bad People. :v:

Control Players that aren't Reid Duke. :colbert:

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mehall posted:

There's nothing wrong per se with Theros block, it plays well and is reasonably well balanced in standard, but it's because we've had blocks people have been so excited for in the last 5 years. Theros is a good block to have made, and I would think that having one of it's quality evey 3 or 4 years is probably good for the overall game.

The mechanics felt too safe, the top down design didn't feel as good as Innistrad, they missed the iconic greek heroes, and there is a real lack of non-rotating quality cards compared to many previous sets, and standard was fairly boring for a good while with 3 decks, blue, black, or white/blue/black. There was nothing wrong with it, but a magic set has to live up to previous sets as well as itself. I think it did not hold its own in that regard.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Gain 100 life. DO IT.

e: :argh:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Dr. Stab posted:

It'll be like yugioh, where it's painfully accurate to the rules and the message of the story is something to do with game mechanics.

Did you watch the first season of yugioh? I don't know the rules of the game, but I'm pretty sure they just made poo poo up as they were going along.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Elyv posted:

Did you watch the first season of yugioh? I don't know the rules of the game, but I'm pretty sure they just made poo poo up as they were going along.

I'll destroy THE MOON!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Elyv posted:

There are two Yu-gi-ohs, the first series, which was make poo poo up as we go along, and every series after it, which held to the rules as far as I know.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
That was loving insane. Dude keeps a 5 land 2 dork and just draws all gas and smashes Reid Duke's mull to 5.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

jscolon2.0 posted:

I'll destroy THE MOON!

Labyrinth Wall dungeon crawler was my favorite episode.

It's just so good. :swoon:

Edit: Reid nooooo.

Music For Cats
May 30, 2011

Reid Duke no. :negative:

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

forbidden lesbian posted:

There are two Yu-gi-ohs, the first series, which was make poo poo up as we go along, and every series after it, which held to the rules as far as I know.

Later series after the first held to the rules pretty well, although some more than others, and certain cards were different than their real life counterpart. I also think the first series of the show (ignoring the one off one that wasn't about the card game) was made before/while the card game was being worked on so there weren't any real rules to go by. Hell, sometimes nostalgia strikes and I look at cards being made and they're still changing the rules, oddly enough sounding more like Magic in the grammar and key words being used (like target instead of select, piercing damage, banish).

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TARKIR IS SARKAN VOL'S PLANE YESSSSSSS

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
Khans of Tarkir confirmed!

E: ^^^ dammit Bleck :shakefist:

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

Okay Im hype

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Sarkhan's home plane.

Maro & Eric lead design/developer again. It's Large-Small-Large and apparently there's something weird going on with the block plan that he's not saying anything about yet.

9/26/2014 out.

"Something we've been asked to bring back for awhile is being brought back
Something we've been asked to do we're doing for the first time. " - FETCHES????

Zorak fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 18, 2014

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Has Maro ever not smiled while on camera?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

FETCHLANDS?
FETCHLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANDS?????

GOD DAMMIT MARO.

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
Maro is such an adorable nerd

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

Zorak posted:

Sarkhan's home plane.

Maro & Eric lead design/developer again. It's Large-Small-Large and apparently there's something weird going on with the block plan that he's not saying anything about yet.

9/26/2014 out.

"Something we've been asked to bring back for awhile is being brought back
Something we've been asked to do we're doing for the first time. " - FETCHES????

T-Rex dragon hell yeah, I loving love dragons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
That's all the info we're gonna get for months, isn't it?

• Locked thread