Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Yeah America loving weird about worker's rights. I'm not a celebrity, you don't get to regulate what I do when I'm off.

At least my shop is chill. Sure, I had to do a urine test when I was hired, but after that nothing. They say they can random test, but that's never happened to even the oldbies.
They'd only do it if A. It's interfering with your work and B. If they want to fire you anyway. Kind of like Websense reports in that respect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

skooma512 posted:

Yeah America loving weird about worker's rights. I'm not a celebrity, you don't get to regulate what I do when I'm off.

At least my shop is chill. Sure, I had to do a urine test when I was hired, but after that nothing. They say they can random test, but that's never happened to even the oldbies.
They'd only do it if A. It's interfering with your work and B. If they want to fire you anyway. Kind of like Websense reports in that respect.

That's how most places handle it. It's largely an insurance thing, especially if you're working with anything valuable/breakable/capable of causing harm.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

PCOS Bill posted:

What are you supposed to do after you fill the cup? Finish in the toilet that they poured some blue dye in? I always just kind of awkwardly hold it and go later.

Ask them to supersize your cup

jamers
Jul 20, 2001

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Are there any UK chaps here who've had experiences with drug testing? My understanding is that it's a lot more prevalent in the US, but I've only worked at 2 companies since leaving school so :shrug:

I had to have one for my current job, but it's a requirement of the security clearances. They took a snip of hair and that was that. Fortunately I hadn't just had a hair cut, the other guys had, and had to have some armpit hair sampled! This was my third job since university, so good luck with the next job!

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
My last job had drug tests but they were just a cheek swab. It took like a minute and you got to keep your pants on and everything. Why is this not more common, is it really that much cheaper to hire an outside service that's trained to handle piss?

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Che Delilas posted:

My last job had drug tests but they were just a cheek swab. It took like a minute and you got to keep your pants on and everything. Why is this not more common, is it really that much cheaper to hire an outside service that's trained to handle piss?

The cannabinoids they're looking for stay in your body for different lengths of time based on the location. Cheek swabs are to detect recent use (a couple of days), piss test is a little longer and hair follicle tests can detect stuff up to around a month after you smoked. If I remember correctly.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Up to about 3 months, if they get a whole follicle length you can even tell roughly how long ago the person has been exposed to it, how long they were exposed to it, rough dosage estimates and go from there. Of course, this has more applications in forensics and poison detection than "Them ployees been jecting them marryjaunas" :bahgawd:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The unwritten/unspoken policy at the places I've been is that the "random" tests are aimed at people they know for sure will pass, OR people they want to get rid of.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

FireSight posted:

In my case, my phone is loaded with crap that Verizon put on it that's always running and you can't disable in any menu. Luckily, that doesn't stop other apps from disabling it.

I'm sure there is a better way to do it, but gently caress it, I'm lazy. I use my phone to make calls, read books, text, and occasionally take a picture. I don't need all the background poo poo running on it or trying to use my data plan to sync poo poo that hasn't changed.

As a note, gently caress the backup software that Verizon "includes" on any phones they sell. Fucker is impossible to get rid of, and likes to make loud noises in the middle of the night if it isn't disabled (which requires aforementioned 3rd party app). And when it's not disabled, it seems to eat a solid 20% of my data plan... when there is nothing to back up.

No matter what data plan I had.
loving sketchy OEM software.

If you have a vzw S4 its easy to disable the bloatware. You just go to settings, system settings, more, application manager, swipe to the left to get to all, click on the app you want to disable, disable. This is doable on 4.2+ without root.

At my current job I had to take a drug test before getting hired. I was in MI and the company is in CA. A drug test as a hiring condition seems no different than requiring to wear a suit or litmus tests to narrow down the candidates. I don't remember if I took the test before flying out for the interview or after. It's nothing compared to the running average of 1 test per month in the military.

lampey fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 18, 2014

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Peeing in cups also helps end racism.

lazercunt
Oct 26, 2007

It was a narcotics raid, not a Fritos raid.

I'm not in IT, but sometimes I feel like it. I work as a sales manager for a Fortune 100, and we do B2B sales with convenience stores and gas stations and the like. For these retailers, my business accounts for the largest (non-gas) share of revenue and total profit, as well as the highest spend per square foot.

So, we have a portal online for our retailers. It tells them what product promotions are getting shipped to them (they have to accept them), the length of the sales cycle (when they get their checks for merchandising payments and price promotions), maximum and minimum prices for products, and lots of documents on programs, contracts, and any other communication they get.

Now, they are required to log into this system once per quarter. If they don't, they lose merchandising payments each month until they do. These payments are 60-70 bucks a month for more active retailers. I have 130 accounts in my area, and usually 4 or 5 of these guys call me absolutely panicking when they go into non-compliance because they don't log into the portal. Which is followed by troubleshooting frantically, lost passwords, and the rest.

Again, I'm in sales. I don't have access to your account. I don't have some sort of admin account to reset your password. I don't know your email you used to log in. I'm not coming into your store for another 2 weeks since that's when I planned to make that sales call. I know you hate logging into the portal and prefer just calling me when something happens. You know why we use the portal? Because I have other things to do that involve actual sales. I have a life, and I will not answer a call past 5pm on a weekday or at any time ever during the weekends.

I'm just angry because I have 4 voicemails sitting on my phone about last week's price change. You can look it up in the portal, there's a direct loving link in the email you got that told you about the price change. The price change doesn't even happen until July, and I come to your store every month. Learn to read and get off my dick, I have signs to put up.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

lazercunt posted:

The price change doesn't even happen until July, and I come to your store every month.

You don't happen to work for a coinop machine company, do you? Cause this sounds familiar...

lazercunt
Oct 26, 2007

Skunkrocker posted:

You don't happen to work for a coinop machine company, do you? Cause this sounds familiar...

Tobacco company, literally the devil.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I managed a convenience store (a Speedway if anybody cares) back in the 80s and the tobacco reps were always the most beat down and hating life people. Glad to see it hasn't changed in thirty years.

lazercunt
Oct 26, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I managed a convenience store (a Speedway if anybody cares) back in the 80s and the tobacco reps were always the most beat down and hating life people. Glad to see it hasn't changed in thirty years.

You are lucky you still aren't at Speedway. They got rid of offices for managers a couple years back, and I've never seen someone so overworked and underpaid. They have too much to deal with before I come in bitching about variance counts and out-of-date products.

I actually like my job, and probably wouldn't YOTJ to another sales force without at least 25% up on salary, all benefits staying the same. It's just that stuff like this gets in the way of real work, probably like upper-tier IT feels when they have to do helpdesk work. It's just compounded when I only have an hour with a retailer per month, and they want to waste 20 having me help them reset passwords to the portal. And of course, it's only at the smallest, most worthless independent accounts that they need to waste all of my time.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
At least you aren't a rep for Chewley's gum.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

FireSight posted:

In my case, my phone is loaded with crap that Verizon put on it that's always running and you can't disable in any menu. Luckily, that doesn't stop other apps from disabling it.

Android has pretty agressive memory and process management built into the Kernel these days. Disabling apps manually really shouldn't do anything. I would get a terminal application and run top on it and see if anything is chewing up a lot of CPU power, but other than that, the kernel should handle the rest.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

lazercunt posted:

You are lucky you still aren't at Speedway. They got rid of offices for managers a couple years back, and I've never seen someone so overworked and underpaid. They have too much to deal with before I come in bitching about variance counts and out-of-date products.

I actually like my job, and probably wouldn't YOTJ to another sales force without at least 25% up on salary, all benefits staying the same. It's just that stuff like this gets in the way of real work, probably like upper-tier IT feels when they have to do helpdesk work. It's just compounded when I only have an hour with a retailer per month, and they want to waste 20 having me help them reset passwords to the portal. And of course, it's only at the smallest, most worthless independent accounts that they need to waste all of my time.

I was Tier 2 Tech Support for Speedway back in 2009. I managed to last a mere 3 months before I'd had enough of the rampant technology stupidity and left to go work a desktop support job for one of Time Warner Cable's call centers. The IT managers didn't know their rear end from a hole in the ground, and that kind of idiocy had no place in my perception of how IT functions. Happiest day of my life up to that point when I told them to piss off and walked out the door.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

PCOS Bill posted:

I've been told I didn't have to take a mandatory drug test at the time of hire because after my interview they were sure I was way too boring to be into drugs.

That's what my co-workers think of me too, mainly because I never have any stories to tell of things I got up to at the weekend... they really don't know me at all ;)

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I feel like the drug test man/lady isn't going to stroke your hair until a perfect sample comes free

That would make the test slightly more tolerable for me, I do like having my hair stroked :)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I don't have to take drug tests, it's unheard of and probably illegal here. I did however have to discuss my past (and present, if applicable) drug use with an interviewer of an intelligence service, but that was to get clearance for my gubmint job.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

spankmeister posted:

I don't have to take drug tests, it's unheard of and probably illegal here. I did however have to discuss my past (and present, if applicable) drug use with an interviewer of an intelligence service, but that was to get clearance for my gubmint job.

Christ, why is it now that I feel like I live and work in some dictatorial hell - I don't think I've ever had a job that didn't require me to take a drug test. Hell, in high school I had to take drug tests because I was an athlete. Over the last 25 years I've just gotten used to having to pee in a cup and I've never gotten worked up about it (probably because I've never used illegal drugs once in my life - yes, boring, I know).

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Christ, why is it now that I feel like I live and work in some dictatorial hell - I don't think I've ever had a job that didn't require me to take a drug test. Hell, in high school I had to take drug tests because I was an athlete. Over the last 25 years I've just gotten used to having to pee in a cup and I've never gotten worked up about it (probably because I've never used illegal drugs once in my life - yes, boring, I know).

Seriously. The more I think about it now, the madder I'm getting about it. I didn't have to take one for my current job.. the most invasive thing they did was a background check (to get cleared to work for a public school system.) If they started piss testing people at the schools, there'd be pretty much nobody left to teach your kids.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
Well, sometimes it seems that is exactly what they're after.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

spankmeister posted:

When I was going for my first police job I had to get a psych eval during which I told the shrink (honestly) that I had never done drugs and that I don't drink. She latched onto this and kept hammering at me because she refused to believe me. A few years later interviewing for my second police job I had to take a poly where I was asked the same questions and passed. I wanted to send the results back to her.

The poly was an unpleasant experience but the funny part is that the only response the guy thought might be deceptive was that I'd gone to a four year college. I had to laugh because of all the things I might be nervous about that's probably the last. I worked my way through college so there was not the slightest doubt in my mind. That's when I started thinking that polys are horseshit.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
A company in Colorado bought PS from us to assist them in migrating several ticketing systems over to Remedy ITSM. I went onsite to do process documentation. Keep in mind that I:

a) am not employed by the Colorado company. My company pays my salary and benefits and all that jazz; and
b) am a Canadian national. Drug screenings and the like are against the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, except in extremely limited circumstances here.

In order for me to be able to come onsite, they said they needed the following things from me:

1) A drug test, completed by their clinic in Colorado
2) A traffic accident history for the last three years
3) A criminal records check
4) A background check (where have you lived, name some references, etc.)
5) A GODDAMN CREDIT CHECK
6) A nondisclosure agreement. My company has already signed a binding NDA, but apparently I had to complete one as well. Just in case!

I fought like hell against all of this crap, but got overruled. So now some random American company has all kinds of my personal info, and actually knows more about my background than my actual employer.

Also, when I went for my drug screening, the nice technician who facilitated my cup-peeing explained that she sees more and more companies requiring cup-pee in order to get - or remain - employed. When I told her that, in Canada, it's seen as an exteme invasion of privacy that is restricted to employees who are machine operators or directly invoved in public safety, she was shocked! She told me that (at least in her area), even WalMart is screening their managers now.

What the hell, America? You used to be cool.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

A credit check? That's some bullshit.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

GreenNight posted:

A credit check? That's some bullshit.

Poor people steal, can't hire them. That is just smart job creator logic.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

jim truds posted:

Poor people steal, can't hire them. That is just smart job creator logic.
A previous employer of mine got in some major poo poo a year or two after I quit because of that very same logic. They ran a credit check on all of their hourly employees (who had provided enough relevant info to do so as part of their employment) without anyone's permission. I never heard exactly what the settlement was, which I'm sure was a part of the settlement.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

A small and rapidly dying electronics retailer I worked at (who literally will sue anyone who mentions online that they're an employee of the retailer) ten years ago did run credit checks as part of the hiring process, with the justification that "we won't hire anyone who won't be able to pay their bills based on the average earnings of an employee".

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

lazercunt posted:

Tobacco company, literally the devil.

You're a TSM for a Richmond VA based firm I'm guessing?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Knowing the financial situation an employee is in helps determine how far you can gently caress them.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

It depends on the state down here, though. I think there's some restrictions on when you can require, for example, a drug test in Massachusetts (too lazy to look it up). The main problem is that each state is more like a tiny country, and nearly everything can change going over the state line. Just as an extreme example, in Massachusetts, less than an ounce of pot is a "Civil infraction" (basically the same class of crime as a traffic ticket). An hour north, in New Hampshire? Full on felony. It's a really hosed-up situation, and confusing to anyone who didn't grow up in it.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I was never drug tested for a job prior to the one I'm at now, which was probably done because we contract for the DoD among other government agencies, so I can kind of understand why they do it.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Neito posted:

It depends on the state down here, though. I think there's some restrictions on when you can require, for example, a drug test in Massachusetts (too lazy to look it up). The main problem is that each state is more like a tiny country, and nearly everything can change going over the state line. Just as an extreme example, in Massachusetts, less than an ounce of pot is a "Civil infraction" (basically the same class of crime as a traffic ticket). An hour north, in New Hampshire? Full on felony. It's a really hosed-up situation, and confusing to anyone who didn't grow up in it.

Out west, full on legal (though it's still illegal federally and technically that trumps the state laws, but the state will completely ignore the infraction so don't walk into a federal building with it or have it on you in any dealing with federal officials). From what I understand, though, you can still be denied a job for having a drug test come up positive for pot in Washington or Colorado, just like you can be denied a job for having it show up in any state even if you have a prescription.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I find credit checks far more ridiculous than drug tests. And I find drug tests pretty drat ridiculous except in certain cases, like operating heavy machinery or whatnot. But even then I don't like them as a condition of employment. At least it's understandable in that case.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

JohnnyCanuck posted:

She told me that (at least in her area), even WalMart is screening their managers now.

What the hell, America? You used to be cool.

I worked at WalMart right out of highschool, for about a month. As a temp night stock person, I had to get a drug test before going in for "training" (aka, here is how to not gently caress up your back when lifting poo poo all night long).

They drug tested EVERY SINGLE PERSON.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

myron cope posted:

I find credit checks far more ridiculous than drug tests. And I find drug tests pretty drat ridiculous except in certain cases, like operating heavy machinery or whatnot. But even then I don't like them as a condition of employment. At least it's understandable in that case.

Yet we legally can't drug test before issuing drivers licenses.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

FireSight posted:

I worked at WalMart right out of highschool, for about a month. As a temp night stock person, I had to get a drug test before going in for "training" (aka, here is how to not gently caress up your back when lifting poo poo all night long).

They drug tested EVERY SINGLE PERSON.

Yep. At least I didn't have to pay for it when I last worked at WalMart. And when I had to get workmen's comp for an injury I sustained. (They also put me out in the garden area as a greater during a major heat wave, gently caress them)

I know drug testing was a requirement for starting at my current employer, but I've yet to even have a single test since. It's been almsot 2 1/2 years since.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Are there any UK chaps here who've had experiences with drug testing? My understanding is that it's a lot more prevalent in the US, but I've only worked at 2 companies since leaving school so :shrug:

Yes and no... We have a drug testing machine where they rub a cloth over you and then put it in this weird machine. It then analyses the traces of any chemicals and tells you if you've been exposed to any drugs

We don't usually use it to test staff but one day the guy responsible for it was telling me about it so I let him test me because I wanted to see how it worked (and I don't do drugs!)

I also heard a story where a girl talked to a colleague about using drugs over the weekend so the colleague reported her... They got our occupational health to come and piss test her - she passed but she still got fired on the basis that she admitted it, she tried to claim that maybe she bought some fake drugs (or whatever) therefore she passed and therefore can she keep her job

But the confession was enough for her to go apparently... Probably didn't help that she worked in a department that helped people recover from drug addictions!

Saying all that... We don't operate any kind of routine testing procedure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
drug testing, credit checks, et al, are just another symptom of the great American Race to The Bottom. The glorious anti-labor job creators have convinced the masses that these are acceptable tools to enforce a immaculate meritocracy, where everyone gets exactly what they deserve.

• Locked thread