Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Regy Rusty posted:

Can you elaborate or something because I still don't know what specifically you're talking about. What morally questionable things are the characters doing?

E: I promise not to call you the worst even though your opinion differs from mine.

Allison is stuck in rehab, Cosima is researching how to make herself not die, and Helena is Helena, so I guess Sarah leaving her daughter with her father while she goes off on dangerous adventures is questionable I guess...??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

muscles like this? posted:

The whole thing was completely in shadows so you barely saw a hint of it.

You saw a lot of it, especially compared to Hannibal (2001) where they obscured it with a filter and shaky-cam. Even the shadows just made the action stand out even more in silhouette.

e. also if TVIV as a whole could stop making the same drat trite observation about how violent thing [x] is shown on TV but sex thing [y] and swear word [z] isn't that would be super cool.

Deadpool posted:

It's always been a really mediocre to kind of bad show solely elevated by one person's performance. It really hasn't changed at all in that regard.

Also the first season benefited a lot from being a mystery where most of the season was about the viewer and the character figuring out what was going on. Now that you know where the clones are from and what the bad guys are up to the show's momentum has evaporated.

...of SCIENCE! fucked around with this message at 06:02 on May 18, 2014

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Orphan Black is one of those shows that is perfectly fine and largely good but if you're really into it or think it's truly great television I would look at you funny. Plus of all the different clones Mansaly plays we spend most of our time with the most irritating one by a long way.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

...of SCIENCE! posted:

You saw a lot of it, especially compared to Hannibal (2001) where they obscured it with a filter and shaky-cam. Even the shadows just made the action stand out even more in silhouette.

e. also if TVIV as a whole could stop making the same drat trite observation about how violent thing [x] is shown on TV but sex thing [y] and swear word [z] isn't that would be super cool.

Also the first season benefited a lot from being a mystery where most of the season was about the viewer and the character figuring out what was going on. Now that you know where the clones are from and what the bad guys are up to the show's momentum has evaporated.

Except we still don't really know where the clones are from.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Rabbit Hill posted:

If you haven't seen Timothy Dalton's AV Club interview....well, now you have no excuse.

He seems absolutely lovely. :allears: I'll watch Penny Dreadful just for him.
So Penny Dreadful is The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and Timothy Dalton fills the Sean Connery role.

cool kids inc. posted:

I'd actually be hella okay with this, but Lauren Conrad is a little busy with the Walking Dead these days, and Genevive Padalecki (nee Cortese) doesn't seem to be acting much these days in roles beyond Mom and pregnant. I guess they could get another "host" for Ruby, but I'd prefer the Ellen and Jo kickin rear end and takin names show anyway. Those two would have been perfect for a spinoff, if they wanted to maintain the "Saving people, Hunting things, the Family business" vibe. Alas...
They could just recast them

raditts posted:

Even Nerd Queen Felicia Day?
Felicia Day is gay so as to keep the fans from getting angry

Mu Zeta posted:

Grossest episode of Hannibal and it's hard to think of something more grotesque I've seen on TV. Mason Verger slices off pieces of his own face and feeds it to a dog. Then he says that he's hungry and cuts off his own nose and eats it. Then Hannibal breaks his neck

What happened to the "Pushing Daisies" Bryan Fuller and how do we get him back.
Hannibal has already lasted longer than Pushing Daisies, Wonderfalls, or Dead Like Me. It's not hard to figure out.

IRQ posted:

Yeah I don't get this either, calling her that would imply that Orphan Black is an anime which obviously isn't the case at it doesn't suck.
Shows can be like an anime and not suck. The only show that actually was an anime was Helix and yep that totally sucked.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Bown posted:

Orphan Black is one of those shows that is perfectly fine and largely good but if you're really into it or think it's truly great television I would look at you funny. Plus of all the different clones Mansaly plays we spend most of our time with the most irritating one by a long way.

I think truly great television does exactly what it sets out to do with addictive panache. As douchey as this sounds, not every story has to be deep and meaningful, and I think Orphan Black is blessed to realize that it doesn't have as much to say as BSG, if only for now. It'll use interesting questions and ideas as a springboard for some solid (and fantastically acted) melodrama, but that's about it.

I'm okay with that, though. All the show's cards may be on the table from the outset, but it makes up for it by being fun -- a sorely underrated quantity when it comes to evaluating entertainment, likely because it's hard to quantify and it's different for everyone (Jesus, I can't not sound like a loving blowhard today). But if I have more fun watching Orphan Black than Game of Thrones, you can't tell me that Orphan Black isn't "great," at least not in a subjective sense.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If everyone in here accepted subjective taste as a thing that exists there would be a lot less stupid posts.

Like, and look I'm the last person to defend NMD, but for example you don't have metal fans barging into the indie pop thread in NMD and saying "THIS MUSIC IS TOTAL GARBAGE". Whereas in TVIV there is this weird idea that if you watch any televised programming at all, then you have a right (nay, a responsibility to compare things that are not even comparable ("Penny Dreadful isn't a masterpiece like Orphan Black").

Personally, I think we should just talk about cars.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
Hoping for some advice... In the vein of watching the apparently good CBS shows, I've watched all of POI and S1 of Elementary. I'm not very into who's sleeping with who or randomly dropped plot lines / characterization (also, tons of procedural episodes is going to bore me unless there's a payoff). Some of the discussion online re: the latest season of Good Wife seems to be a bit worrying. Up to what season or episode should I watch Good Wife?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

precision posted:

If everyone in here accepted subjective taste as a thing that exists there would be a lot less stupid posts.

Like, and look I'm the last person to defend NMD, but for example you don't have metal fans barging into the indie pop thread in NMD and saying "THIS MUSIC IS TOTAL GARBAGE". Whereas in TVIV there is this weird idea that if you watch any televised programming at all, then you have a right (nay, a responsibility to compare things that are not even comparable ("Penny Dreadful isn't a masterpiece like Orphan Black").

The Pontiac Aztec is the greatest car because it knows it wants to look like poo poo and it succeeds with panache.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Cardboard Box A posted:

They could just recast them

Also, it's not like Sam and Dean haven't died half a dozen times each, they could come up with something if they wanted to bring them back.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

precision posted:

I like Penny Dreadful better than Orphan Black. I also don't like sitcoms or anything with a message at all.

Cars are cool though.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

precision posted:

Like, and look I'm the last person to defend NMD, but for example you don't have metal fans barging into the indie pop thread in NMD and saying "THIS MUSIC IS TOTAL GARBAGE".

It doesn't happen because it's an universally known fact and doesn't need repeating

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This website sure is something awful!

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Katreus posted:

Hoping for some advice... In the vein of watching the apparently good CBS shows, I've watched all of POI and S1 of Elementary. I'm not very into who's sleeping with who or randomly dropped plot lines / characterization (also, tons of procedural episodes is going to bore me unless there's a payoff). Some of the discussion online re: the latest season of Good Wife seems to be a bit worrying. Up to what season or episode should I watch Good Wife?

The Good Wife has remained consistently great throughout. There is a bit of who is sleeping with who during the entire run, but the latest season is actually less guilty of that than the previous ones.

If you're looking for a good CBS show, that's the one.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I like Penny Dreadful better than Orphan Black. I also don't like sitcoms or anything with a message at all.

Cars are cool though.

Penny Dreadful has had only one pilot. Can you really make that comparison to Orphan Black which has had 15 episodes? What if the Sitcom's message is that there is no message a la Seinfeld.

Also, I love Prius.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I have a Yaris and I love it. Gets like 40 mpg, looks cute.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Get some exercise and ride a bike, you lazy bums

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Veronica Mars is an okay show although Logan is the punchface-iest twerp ever and the way they wrote Troy out was loving poor as hell

Also so far I'm not seeing what made this show need a revival, it is merely competent and kinda interesting, not holy poo poo this needs a movie a decade later

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Veronica Mars is an okay show although Logan is the punchface-iest twerp ever and the way they wrote Troy out was loving poor as hell

Also so far I'm not seeing what made this show need a revival, it is merely competent and kinda interesting, not holy poo poo this needs a movie a decade later

It ended on a kind of bum note because Rob Thomas had literally been promised by the network that he'd get a short season or movie to wrap things up, but then management changed and it was cancelled. So I think the push was more for closure than anything else.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Maxwell Lord posted:

So I think the push was more for closure than anything else.

..and then Veronica Closet went to college, got a degree in criminal justice and became a real private investigator. The End.

*closure*

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
..and then Jack was finally able to ascend to Heaven with the help of his friends from the island.

*closure*

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
..and it turned out human beings are the product of interbreeding between neanderthals and space aliens. Also, angels.

*closure*

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I haven't actually seen the VM movie but I'm not about to criticize anything that gave Krysten Ritter work.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Irish Joe posted:

..and then Veronica Closet went to college, got a degree in criminal justice and became a real private investigator. The End.

*closure*
Well, yeah, actually. Considering how season 3 ends. Or doesn't, rather.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Irish Joe posted:

..and it turned out human beings are the product of interbreeding between neanderthals and space aliens. Also, angels.

*closure*

Ooh, do HIMYM next :allears:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I enjoyed the Penny Dreadful pilot. It could be trash but it was moody and fun for at least that one episode and even though the ending reveal of Dr. Frankenstein wasn't a shock it was very well done to be exciting. Along with the Mina Harker slow reveal the show seemed to want to introduce a character before throwing an iconic name at you. That League of Extraordinary Gentlemen comparison seems pretty accurate and I liked the way they handled it in the pilot. It was enough to send me online to see if Eva Green or Josh Hartnett's characters were original or not.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 18, 2014

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rarity posted:

Get some exercise and ride a bike, you lazy bums

Motorcycles seem pretty unsafe though, I'll stick to my car. It goes vroom and is fun.

raditts posted:

Allison is stuck in rehab, Cosima is researching how to make herself not die, and Helena is Helena, so I guess Sarah leaving her daughter with her father while she goes off on dangerous adventures is questionable I guess...??

I figured it was the weirdo cult that kidnapped Helena that was doing questionable poo poo but tbh Deadpool is right that the show is pretty mediocre aside from Maslany's performance. Also Felix's hilariously over the top fabulousness.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Is there anywhere I can find a list of what places I can find random shows? I just had roughly $1000 of unforeseen monthly expenses pop up that will be ongoing so I think it might be time to cancel cable.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Pillowpants posted:

Is there anywhere I can find a list of what places I can find random shows? I just had roughly $1000 of unforeseen monthly expenses pop up that will be ongoing so I think it might be time to cancel cable.

You can find just about everything.

For help, there's a thread about cutting the cord in Inspect Your Gadgets that might help out. You can get free Hulu Plus through using Bing rewards - check the Get Paid To thread in coupons. Amazon streaming only works for a primary account, but you can add 5 other people to the free 2 day shipping to split the costs. HBOGO you can use someone else's HBO subscription to get. If you can't get an antenna to work (I can't), Aereo looks cool if it's in your city, so long as SCOTUS doesn't gently caress things up in a month or two (they have no idea what the hell so it's sadly likely).

I think the only tv I actually pay for is Netflix, and really you can share accounts on that too. I haven't had cable for about a year and there's very little I miss.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

IRQ posted:

You can find just about everything.

For help, there's a thread about cutting the cord in Inspect Your Gadgets that might help out. You can get free Hulu Plus through using Bing rewards - check the Get Paid To thread in coupons. Amazon streaming only works for a primary account, but you can add 5 other people to the free 2 day shipping to split the costs. HBOGO you can use someone else's HBO subscription to get. If you can't get an antenna to work (I can't), Aereo looks cool if it's in your city, so long as SCOTUS doesn't gently caress things up in a month or two (they have no idea what the hell so it's sadly likely).

I think the only tv I actually pay for is Netflix, and really you can share accounts on that too. I haven't had cable for about a year and there's very little I miss.

Thank you. I'll look into that. It has been a rough six weeks.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Cardboard Box A posted:

Felicia Day is gay so as to keep the fans from getting angry
First of all, Felicia Day being gay would make fans more angry, not less.
Secondly, I thought this was true and googled and ended up finding out that she won an award for "VGX Award for Best Performance by a Human Female"

:psyduck:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Postal Parcel posted:

Secondly, I thought this was true and googled and ended up finding out that she won an award for "VGX Award for Best Performance by a Human Female"

:psyduck:

Which is ironic because previous winners of that prestigious award include GLADOS from Portal and Megan Fox.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I never got the impression that felicia day was even a little bit capable of acting.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Maxwell Lord posted:

It ended on a kind of bum note because Rob Thomas had literally been promised by the network that he'd get a short season or movie to wrap things up, but then management changed and it was cancelled. So I think the push was more for closure than anything else.

If there's one thing the movie didn't provide though, it was closure.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Felicia Day is one of those people where even if I'm not crazy about her I feel obligated to like her just because before Anita Sarkeesian stole the spotlight she was the boogiewoman who made nerds SO ANGRY because apparently she's a "fake" nerd and her creating The Guild was all a scam.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

IRQ posted:

Motorcycles seem pretty unsafe though, I'll stick to my car. It goes vroom and is fun.

I figured it was the weirdo cult that kidnapped Helena that was doing questionable poo poo but tbh Deadpool is right that the show is pretty mediocre aside from Maslany's performance. Also Felix's hilariously over the top fabulousness.

I won't argue that the acting quality aside from the clones and Felix leaves a lot to be desired, and whether you like the show or not is your prerogative, but saying it comes anywhere close to "bad" isn't fair considering all the truly bad shows that have been on this TV season alone.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Felicia Day is one of those people where even if I'm not crazy about her I feel obligated to like her just because before Anita Sarkeesian stole the spotlight she was the boogiewoman who made nerds SO ANGRY because apparently she's a "fake" nerd and her creating The Guild was all a scam.

"Nerd" culture: the very worst culture?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Fooz posted:

Yeah. At the very least, Klan Kulture supports family values and community activities. Nerd culture is just poison through and through.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

drat that GoT was juicy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Fooz posted:

As a huge nerd, absolutely yes.

• Locked thread