Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

bigpolar posted:

I came to post a different link. I guess sprint is just giving up on network improvements. Just one more reason to switch. I can't see this working out well for customers.

http://consumerist.com/2014/05/08/sprint-changes-tune-will-start-throttling-data-for-heavy-users/

AHAHAHA... just wow Sprint. Unlimited means unthrottled until you're in the top 5%. And you're throttled permanently until you fall out of the top 5% for a month? The top 5% might even be 2Gb who knows. They suddenly went from the most generous policy (granted bad network) to the least generous policy overnight.

It's usually really hard to even get data out of Sprint I can imagine in some areas the top 5% may well even be a Gb or less.

Seperate note: I get twice the idle time on a TMO Moto X then my Sprint Moto X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

How does anyone use 5/gb a month on Sprint? Even their LTE is terrible and spotty.

If throttling helps make my data usable on 3G, where it's currently basically nonexistent, then I'm OK with that. What I don't like is the moving goalposts of "top 5%" which will just continually get smaller and smaller until we're back down to Verizon 2gb caps.

Fiances still on my old employee line. Shes at 50 gigs or something. I'm at 170 on my Verizon line. Its currently our only internet.

Happens.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

How does anyone use 5/gb a month on Sprint? Even their LTE is terrible and spotty.

If throttling helps make my data usable on 3G, where it's currently basically nonexistent, then I'm OK with that. What I don't like is the moving goalposts of "top 5%" which will just continually get smaller and smaller until we're back down to Verizon 2gb caps.
Their LTE isn't terrible and spotty in all markets. Just some of them.

Stick100 posted:

AHAHAHA... just wow Sprint. Unlimited means unthrottled until you're in the top 5%. And you're throttled permanently until you fall out of the top 5% for a month? The top 5% might even be 2Gb who knows. They suddenly went from the most generous policy (granted bad network) to the least generous policy overnight.

It's usually really hard to even get data out of Sprint I can imagine in some areas the top 5% may well even be a Gb or less.

Seperate note: I get twice the idle time on a TMO Moto X then my Sprint Moto X.
Remember, it's not every market getting this. Also that's what you get for not having a tri-band LTE phone on Sprint. CDMA and LTE radios running simultaneously equals a big battery drain.

Some insight from Kansas City from over a month ago on another forum:

quote:

[I have] a good friend of mine who's in KC involved with a ton of their network management poo poo. Apparently it's gotten bad enough whatever bandwidth their LTE 4g came out with is already mostly saturated, and according to him .024% of the users are using over 20% of the entire bandwidth involved with LTE, so he said it's just a matter of time before they put down the hammer involving some kind of TOS changes and service disconnects. He didn't say decisions had been made, but apparently softbank is very unhappy with how much they poured into service upgrades and how little has actually been done. He said entire groups including his had been castrated with mass firings and poo poo. The corporate equivalent of summary executions imo.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I used 20 gigs last month because I turned cable off and Internet and just streamed netflix

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Did any of you alarmists read the article?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/05/08/sprint-will-begin-throttling-the-top-5-of-data-users-in-congested-markets/

quote:

This new report is backed up by Sprint's own FAQs, which now detail how the throttling will work. Sprint won't smack down everyone with high data usage, but getting into that upper tier makes you eligible for throttling during peak usage times. Sprint calls it "network prioritization," which sounds less threatening than "throttling." Technically, your data is still unlimited – it's just slower. Sprint isn't the first to make this distinction, but that doesn't mean throttling is no big deal. This isn't what people expect when they are promised unlimited data for life.

This is a very sane data prioritization policy and is more reasonable than even T-Mobile's permanent throttling until the end of the month after some arbitrary amount of Bytes policy. Truly unlimited bandwidth at all times of day for all users isn't sustainable. Infrastructure is too expensive, and there's not enough spectrum. This throttling policy only effects high users in congested markets, and only during peak usage.

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...
I pay for unlimited on TMO after switching from sprint. No throttling even using 20GB a month. If you paid for "unlimited for life", you don't get a pass on this so how isn't this something to be up in arms about?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

NerdsMcGee posted:

I pay for unlimited on TMO after switching from sprint. No throttling even using 20GB a month. If you paid for "unlimited for life", you don't get a pass on this so how isn't this something to be up in arms about?

It is something to be upset about if you were promised true unlimited for life, and either way most people can now certainly get a better deal than sprint.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Yeah, this is just one more reason among many that have solidified my decision to switch to T-Mobile after my contract is up in July. Sane policy or not, I'd prefer knowing exactly where my limit lies rater than this nebulous nonsense (even if it's unlikely to affect me).

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD
So after several emails back and forth with sprint, they have reduced my etf from $220 to $50. Considering that per email I had multiple recent examples of service loss, they were willing to negotiate, but unwilling to just let me out entirely. 50$ isn't so bad, and I can still sell my handset which should get me enough to purchase a like handset on verizon. Semi-victory for me!

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

pass the butter posted:

So after several emails back and forth with sprint, they have reduced my etf from $220 to $50. Considering that per email I had multiple recent examples of service loss, they were willing to negotiate, but unwilling to just let me out entirely. 50$ isn't so bad, and I can still sell my handset which should get me enough to purchase a like handset on verizon. Semi-victory for me!

That's about the deal I got. It was nice. Run, run as fast as you can!

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD

ninmeister posted:

That's about the deal I got. It was nice. Run, run as fast as you can!

Pretty much that. I'll be selling my galaxy s4, right now I'm just trying to decide if I should get another s4 when I switch out to verizon (only provider worth a crap around here) or spend another 50$ for an s5.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

pass the butter posted:

Pretty much that. I'll be selling my galaxy s4, right now I'm just trying to decide if I should get another s4 when I switch out to verizon (only provider worth a crap around here) or spend another 50$ for an s5.
Spend the extra $50, especially if you're going to keep it for two years. The Snapdragon 801 is a nice upgrade over the 600 just based on my experience with my wife's S4 (600) and my Note 3 (800). Plus the S5 will give you better battery life and has a newer, better screen.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD

datajosh posted:

Spend the extra $50, especially if you're going to keep it for two years. The Snapdragon 801 is a nice upgrade over the 600 just based on my experience with my wife's S4 (600) and my Note 3 (800). Plus the S5 will give you better battery life and has a newer, better screen.

That's where I'm at as well, but thanks for reaffirming the decision. I logged into my sprint account and it shows my contract end date of the end of the month now, but nothing specifying $50 etf exactly.

So is swappa the best way to sell my used s4? Any downside to using them I'm not yet seeing? My s4 is in great condition. I've sold in SA mart here as well, the only downside being whoever buys it has to activate on sprint.

I will say the thread title here is really proving more accurate than joke at this point!

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

pass the butter posted:

That's where I'm at as well, but thanks for reaffirming the decision. I logged into my sprint account and it shows my contract end date of the end of the month now, but nothing specifying $50 etf exactly.

So is swappa the best way to sell my used s4? Any downside to using them I'm not yet seeing? My s4 is in great condition. I've sold in SA mart here as well, the only downside being whoever buys it has to activate on sprint.

I will say the thread title here is really proving more accurate than joke at this point!
The $50 ETF will probably show on your last bill and should be notated on Sprint's end, I can't think of anywhere it would show up before then.

I used Swappa to sell our S3s after we upgraded and it was pretty painless, just seems to take a little longer for anyone to buy compared to eBay or Craigslist. (First one took a week to sell but the second one took three weeks.)

And yeah, the thread title is a pretty accurate way to think about Sprint. I thought it would things would be fine after I moved to an area with LTE but it's marginally better at best. Except at home, where I have spectacular data speeds but don't need them because I'm connected to my Wi-Fi.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

pass the butter posted:

I've always had good luck on Craigslist. Sure you will get some scammers and the occasional "I have 100 bucks cash right now let's do this" people when your phone is listed at 250, but I've never gone more than a week or 2 before I sell to someone not an rear end in a top hat.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

I'm not sure if it's Sprint specific, but I let my GS3 get updated to 4.4 last night and now my phone is sometimes rebooting after sending a text. Anyone else seeing this?

Also it seems like it's stuck trying to get my location all the time.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

the littlest prince posted:

I'm not sure if it's Sprint specific, but I let my GS3 get updated to 4.4 last night and now my phone is sometimes rebooting after sending a text. Anyone else seeing this?

Also it seems like it's stuck trying to get my location all the time.

I'm getting the location seeking bug whenever I'm indoors. It's almost like the update busted the gps. No reboots after texting, the phone actually seems a little bit more responsive.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

bigpolar posted:

I'm getting the location seeking bug whenever I'm indoors. It's almost like the update busted the gps. No reboots after texting, the phone actually seems a little bit more responsive.

Yeah, it's definitely more responsive. Mine was really bad recently. So bad that I thought I might have to go and remove about half my apps or try a factory reset or something. Now it feels kind of new again! We'll see how long that lasts.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
My GS3 just got the 4.4 update too and I'm having some bad luck at Google-Fu...what was added/changed with the update? So far the only thing I see is that all notifications in the pull down menu are grouped - it used to separate persistent notifications (Tasker) with pushed notifications (text/email).

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Medullah posted:

My GS3 just got the 4.4 update too and I'm having some bad luck at Google-Fu...what was added/changed with the update? So far the only thing I see is that all notifications in the pull down menu are grouped - it used to separate persistent notifications (Tasker) with pushed notifications (text/email).

This is the best I can find: http://www.android.com/versions/kit-kat-4-4/

Make sure to check the stuff at the end under "Check them out". Some good stuff like the built-in ability to lock/wipe.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

the littlest prince posted:

This is the best I can find: http://www.android.com/versions/kit-kat-4-4/

Make sure to check the stuff at the end under "Check them out". Some good stuff like the built-in ability to lock/wipe.

I just applied the update and now my phone is in a boot loop. Any suggestions?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

rock2much posted:

I just applied the update and now my phone is in a boot loop. Any suggestions?

Yes, take it to the nearest Sprint store and tell them your phone is broken.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I went into recovery mode (re-seat the battery; home + vol up + power) and wiped the cache. That did the trick.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

rock2much posted:

I went into recovery mode (re-seat the battery; home + vol up + power) and wiped the cache. That did the trick.

But think of how much time you would have saved by driving twenty miles to the nearest Sprint store and hoping that somebody there would do exactly what you did instead of ordering a new one and making you wait three days.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Vykk.Draygo posted:

But think of how much time you would have saved by driving twenty miles to the nearest Sprint store and hoping that somebody there would do exactly what you did instead of ordering a new one and making you wait three days.

Ticket closed, user searched Google instead

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I've always liked you, Vykk.Draygo. ;)

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Was driving through Elizabeth, CO today and there was LTE, but still no LTE in Denver.

Goddamnit Sprint. :negative:

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Is there a specific place where it is ok to post offers to split a Framily plan? I asked in the SA mart discussion thread and didn't get a reply, and I haven't found any thread covering it. I didn't know if there was someplace specific maybe in this subsection of the forums.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bulletsponge13 posted:

Is there a specific place where it is ok to post offers to split a Framily plan? I asked in the SA mart discussion thread and didn't get a reply, and I haven't found any thread covering it. I didn't know if there was someplace specific maybe in this subsection of the forums.

I would think you can post it here.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Roger that.
I have nine slots available- lets save each other money. Family ID D01886832Vr. If you want to join, just shoot me an email to get the personal info you need. Email- woody8213 at the g-mail.

bulletsponge13 fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 18, 2014

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete
Yesss..... bumped up my upgrade 2 weeks early... SG3 --> SG5

I called the SERO sales number, the first guy denied me, I asked him to ask his manager, who agreed and transferred me to EPRP help. That guy bumped my upgrade, then I could order the phone online and pick up same day in store!

SERO 4 LYFE

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy
Let's say I go into a sprint store and start a Framily. Then 6 of my closest friends join my framily bringing our rate to $25. Then I decide I hate sprint and join t-mobile.

This is a two part question. A) When I leave, does that make the framily ID invalid because I am the original person on it? And B) Does that increase everyone's rates on the Framily?

EDIT: Also read this fun tid bit on the framily plan page of the site.

quote:

Framily Plan: Offer ends 7/10/14.

What? Isn't this, ya know, their plans now?

Beefstorm fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 18, 2014

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

Beefstorm posted:

Let's say I go into a sprint store and start a Framily. Then 6 of my closest friends join my framily bringing our rate to $25. Then I decide I hate sprint and join t-mobile.

This is a two part question. A) When I leave, does that make the framily ID invalid because I am the original person on it? And B) Does that increase everyone's rates on the Framily?

EDIT: Also read this fun tid bit on the framily plan page of the site.

What? Isn't this, ya know, their plans now?

A) No, the Framily ID is seperate from the account number, and is not invalidated by anyone leaving.
B) Yes, everyone will recieve an SMS letting them know how many lines have left and the estimated increase.
C) 7/10 is the current offer window, so after 7/10 the Framily plan will still be around, but the promotions going on now will be discontinued, and new promotions will be launched.

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007
Regarding the framily plan:

I have 9 family members currently on Sprint, at least 4 of whom are in the beginning of new 2-year contracts. Can I convert this all over to a framily plan without issue?

What do I have to do to get this going?

It's just not clear if this is possible and a sprint rep told me flat out that this is impossible.

Edit:

I should mention that currently these are all on 4 separate accounts and from looking at the info on sprint.com this is not possible?

St. Blaize fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 19, 2014

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

St. Blaize posted:

I have 9 family members currently on Sprint, at least 4 of whom are in the beginning of new 2-year contracts. Can I convert this all over to a framily plan without issue?

It's just not clear if this is possible and a sprint rep told me flat out that this is impossible.

Edit:

I should mention that currently these are all on 4 separate accounts and from looking at the info on sprint.com this is not possible?

I cannot imagine this being impossible. It sounds like its going to take a rep more than a few min to move everything around though.

Correct my if I'm wrong sprint goons.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
You can't get the framily rates while on a subsidized phone, right?

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007

MY ABACUS! posted:

You can't get the framily rates while on a subsidized phone, right?

You can for now, you couldn't before. If it was purchased prior to 1/10/2014 there is no monthly fee either. After then and they add 15/month.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

St. Blaize posted:

Edit:

I am not an employee, but while I was having my phone looked at, I overheard a rep saying that it technically isn't possible, but if you transferred everyone's liability into one name they could do it. I've gotten bad information from this store before though.

Imaginos
Mar 3, 2003

Eyecannon posted:

Yesss..... bumped up my upgrade 2 weeks early... SG3 --> SG5

I called the SERO sales number, the first guy denied me, I asked him to ask his manager, who agreed and transferred me to EPRP help. That guy bumped my upgrade, then I could order the phone online and pick up same day in store!

SERO 4 LYFE

Still $200 though? Waiting for the price to drop. Verizon had it for 99 already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Imaginos posted:

Still $200 though? Waiting for the price to drop. Verizon had it for 99 already.

Keep in mind that certain Verizon and ATT plans are actually more with a 2 year contract, specifically, with the 10GB mobile share plans for both of them the plans are $15 a month without a contract or $40 a month with a contract, so it's a bit of a higher subsidy so they can afford to cut the price up front more.