Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I think Nam's been making questionable Brain Maggot choices all day, and this is the game where he's really gonna get punished for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Retcon posted:

They want dead characters to actually stay dead and Mishra never was a Planeswalker. So yeah, chances seem low. I'm still holding out for a proper Urza card in a supplemental product, though.

Does that mean that Elspeth is dead forever too?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Equipped creature has shroud.

During your turn, as long as this is not the same turn as excaliburn was sent to the graveyard and you control a (super monster for which mtg does not have an equivalent), you may exile this card and sacrifice (super monster). If you do, search your library for (different super monster), and put it onto the battlefield. Shuffle your library afterward.

This is pretty much it, except it would be hexproof and searching from the sideboard instead of the library.

A Xyz creature would pretty much just be a normal one except with no mana cost, a "cannot be in your deck" clause (so it has to stay in the sideboard normally), and a keyword that lets you cast it from your sideboard by exiling other creatures you control.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

It's part of the issue with the only format being non rotating. They have to print "can't be cheated out" clauses on cards so that they aren't totally busted. They also manage power creep by inventing new card types and zones and by making new tribes, so that only the new card interact with them.

Also everything has shroud for some reason.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010
I know this was originally Pro Tour Elspeth Sun's Champion, but I think a more fitting name might be Pro Tour Courser of Kruphix. Seven of the Top 8 decks have four copies, as almost every major archetype loves that card.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dr. Stab posted:

It's part of the issue with the only format being non rotating. They have to print "can't be cheated out" clauses on cards so that they aren't totally busted. They also manage power creep by inventing new card types and zones and by making new tribes, so that only the new card interact with them.

Also everything has shroud for some reason.

Oh it rotates, alright.

Just the rotations are in the form of archetypes being banned out.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

qbert posted:

Does that mean that Elspeth is dead forever too?
I only read about the "dead stays dead" policy on Maro's Tumblr so maybe they will just bring back Elspeth back in a few blocks regardless. If they do decide to keep Elspeth dead, not showing her death on a card would be a very weird decision since they've appearently gone back to showing important story moments on cards.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Retcon posted:

They want dead characters to actually stay dead and Mishra never was a Planeswalker. So yeah, chances seem low. I'm still holding out for a proper Urza card in a supplemental product, though.

There's always Time Spiral 2

I hope

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Retcon posted:

I only read about the "dead stays dead" policy on Maro's Tumblr so maybe they will just bring back Elspeth back in a few blocks regardless. If they do decide to keep Elspeth dead, not showing her death on a card would be a very weird decision since they've appearently gone back to showing important story moments on cards.

Yeah it's extremely weird that Xenagos, a dude who was introduced and killed in a single block, gets a card for his death but Elspeth, who has been around approximately forever, doesn't.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I had posted in this thread maybe a month ago about getting back into MTG, but I've been working a bit more and haven't actually had the chance to play other than with lovely decks I hodge-podged together with against my roommate. Going to my first draft this coming Wednesday, are there any guides / podcasts out there for drafting advice? I'm absolutely horrible at the Arena in Hearthstone, which is the same thing basically.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

quote:

It is the home world of Sarkhan Vol.

It is a Large-Small-Large block.
There is something special about the block, but we don't know what yet.
The lead designer is Mark Rosewater, the lead developer is Erik Lauer (they both served the same roles for Innistrad and Theros)

There are two things in the block that we, the players, have been asking for for a long time. One of them is something that hasn't been done in a long time, and one other is something that hasn't been done in Magic yet.
They're going to make mill tier 1 in Standard, Modern, and Legacy competitive.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010
MaRo says the next big info dump for Tarkir is San Diego Comic Con. So we might find out what those mysterious things we want them to do are at the end of July.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Sab669 posted:

I had posted in this thread maybe a month ago about getting back into MTG, but I've been working a bit more and haven't actually had the chance to play other than with lovely decks I hodge-podged together with against my roommate. Going to my first draft this coming Wednesday, are there any guides / podcasts out there for drafting advice? I'm absolutely horrible at the Arena in Hearthstone, which is the same thing basically.

Limited Resources is a very good podcast when it comes to limited formats.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Retcon posted:

They've hinted to the fact that dead isn't really dead on Theros before. My personal guess is that Ajani's going to take a break from planeswalking to rescue Elspeth, who may or may not kill Heliod for good measure on the way out.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

Sab669 posted:

neetengie posted:

Limited Resources is a very good podcast when it comes to limited formats.

Episode 224 is pretty good. I wish I had listened to it before I started. Episode 214 seems to be about common mistakes but I haven't listened to that one yet. Have it queued to listen to before my next one.

This covers the BREAD acronym. Things other people have told me (I just started myself) include have 40 cards total and 17 of them should be lands, only play two colors, and bring a pad and paper for keeping tracking of life/notes.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Niton posted:

They've hinted to the fact that dead isn't really dead on Theros before. My personal guess is that Ajani's going to take a break from planeswalking to rescue Elspeth, who may or may not kill Heliod for good measure on the way out.

I hope so, white has gotten really metal lately with the whole "gently caress the higher power" attitude it's taken. You'd think red or black would do that, but nope, it's white.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Rich is trying so drat hard to make this a poignant moment.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Congrats to the 20 year veteran Hall of Famer who's never won a Pro Tour before.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sleepy Owl posted:

There's always Time Spiral 2

I hope

Nope. Not doing it again.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
It's really nice to see an excited runner-up with good sportsmanship in the Pro Tour.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Just when you were wondering if maybe we couldn't make things a little awkward, Elspeth cosplayer wanders onto stream to silently give Chapin a hug.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

clamiam45 posted:

It's really nice to see an excited runner-up with good sportsmanship in the Pro Tour.

Sung-Wok's big smile and fist pump when he took the stage was great.

Did anyone catch exactly what Chapin said to Sung-Wok after their match? It sounded very complimentary something about best deck and something about the swiss rounds?

Music For Cats
May 30, 2011

Chapin looked like he was in ecstasy.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Dehtraen posted:

Sung-Wok's big smile and fist pump when he took the stage was great.

Did anyone catch exactly what Chapin said to Sung-Wok after their match? It sounded very complimentary something about best deck and something about the swiss rounds?

He beat Chapin in the swiss rounds, Chapin was giving him a ton of respect for his playskill.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

Music For Cats posted:

Chapin looked like he was in ecstasy.

Probably was on ecstasy, given his history.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Chapin is a cool guy and he's also very funny, nice to see him win.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So the next block is basically Skyrim? :v:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Entropic posted:

So the next block is basically Dynasty Warriors? :v:

Yes.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Do not pursue Duck Feidin

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Full-art lands and wedge block.

Save my post so you can laugh at how wrong I am in July.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I don't think they'd do another Gold block so soon after RtR, and after using Devotion to basically try to swing the pendulum back to making playable mono-color decks.

jscolon2.0 fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 19, 2014

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

jscolon2.0 posted:

I don't think they'd do another Gold block so soon after RoR, and after using Devotion to basically try to swing the pendulum back to making playable mono-color decks.

The Devotion decks rely on a lot of cards from RTR block actually, and the Scrylands reward playing multicolor decks so a Gold block in the fall really won't necessarily hinder mono color decks.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Isn't this supposed to be the one where Creative had to put it off however long to figure out how to make its central gimmick work?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Isn't this supposed to be the one where Creative had to put it off however long to figure out how to make its central gimmick work?

Proof that banding is coming back.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I would not be surprised at all to see ally-color fetches, if not all of the fetches. Then they all get burned away by dragons because ~Wizards of the Coast~ :getin:.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Kurtofan posted:

Do not pursue Duck Feidin

I would not mind a return to Portal 3 Kingdoms.

Seriously, watch them bring back Banding and Horsemanship in Khans.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

ungulateman posted:

Then they all get burned away by dragons because ~Wizards of the Coast~ :getin:.

Obsidian Fireheart reprint incoming. :black101:

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

ungulateman posted:

I would not be surprised at all to see ally-color fetches, if not all of the fetches. Then they all get burned away by dragons because ~Wizards of the Coast~ :getin:.

If they print any fetches, it will be all 10 judging by their comments regarding allied vs. enemy color fixing going forward.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I was actually thinking wedge block as well but I'm prepared to be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

A wedge block would give us names for the wedges. (That nobody will use unless some Jund tier deck rolls out of it.)

I'd like that.

• Locked thread