Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Hey shutup! We got Rock the Dragon until the end of the Frieza Saga and then got the Canadian version for Garlic Junior and Trunks.

In the UK the way they constantly flip-flippoed between the dubs was really crazy. Like, they'd air the Funimation dub, and then when they inevitably went back and re-run the last saga it would arbitrarily switch to Ocean and continue into new material until we maybe got Funimation again at some point. If anyone can remember how it went in more detail I'd be really interested to recall that because it was nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

In Germany we just got a redubbed version of the Japanese intro and the original Japanese score and we liked it that way, so I have no idea about you guys and your Faulconer talk.

Edit: Also a redubbed version of the second Japanese intro for the Buu saga. Love how it pretends that Gohan is the protagonist and Goku just a dead dad there.

a cartoon duck fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 18, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Star posted:

Rock the Dragon was my first exposure to DBZ, too. It's funny to watch it now because now I know where all the clips are from, but back then, I just thought those were from other parts of the series that I hadn't seen yet.

Haha, yeah. I think that's most of the reason I still like those movies best!

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N85YNZVVgZc&hd=1

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Where do you find these things

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
On the subject of Dragon Ball Z music.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

This is so hypnotic.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Hahaha that was great. I think I've seen that taqueria before.

Then again there is pizza mario, etc. :v:

Snowcow
Oct 17, 2007

As far as Faulconer goes I'll always remember this piece from watching reruns of the Frieza saga over and over as a kid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUIkfzEByWY

It's probably my favourite Faulconer tune so it's a pity Funimation have more or less eliminated it from the Season 3 DVDs/Blu-rays.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

After a while Toonami/FoxKids over here switched to this intro.
I thought it was the raddest thing ever. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GIxLim2fM4

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Parrotine posted:

Where do you find these things

Noone loves that goku more.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Zedd posted:

After a while Toonami/FoxKids over here switched to this intro.
I thought it was the raddest thing ever. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GIxLim2fM4

Wow, just no effort at all put into the editing there huh?

To me that's what makes Rock the Dragon great, they really did a great job matching the clips and the cuts up to the song. I'd say it's even better than Cha La in that sense. It also emphasizes action over the fantastical elements which is kinda just more accurate to how DBZ changed from Dragon Ball.

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?
My only issue with Rock the Dragon is that it mostly shows clips from "Dead Zone", "World's Strongest", and "Tree of Might", with the only footage from the series is Nappa destroying Planes and Trunks cutting up Freiza, unless Vegeta turning Super Sayian the way he does is from the series.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Cozz posted:

My only issue with Rock the Dragon is that it mostly shows clips from "Dead Zone", "World's Strongest", and "Tree of Might", with the only footage from the series is Nappa destroying Planes and Trunks cutting up Freiza, unless Vegeta turning Super Sayian the way he does is from the series.

Yeah, it's definitely a weird choice. In a funny way it kinda makes it feel like a real cartoon opening, because it's a bunch of well animated clips of events and characters that never show up in the actual series at all. :haw:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Rock the Dragon is my favorite opening, over the other one on Toonami and Head Cha La. I didn't know there was another opening for Canada. That one's.. pretty terrible.

I might be a crazy person though as I actually prefer the Japanese DBZ soundtrack. It sounds like a cheesy Kung Fu movie. That, and I just really like brassy music. I like it WAY better than Bruce Faulconer's stuff. This guy has a lot of comparisons:
https://www.youtube.com/user/Denorius01/videos

My favorite opening is probably this one though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT1Dp69D7q0

Mystical Adventure and Rock the Dragon are so drat catchy.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR46WbmYFyQ
I think this'll end all discussion about the best openings.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hahahaha, I thought I was misremembering the lyrics to Rock the Dragon with the "Come and get me!" part, but nope - that is actually in the song!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

Rock the Dragon is my favorite opening, over the other one on Toonami and Head Cha La. I didn't know there was another opening for Canada. That one's.. pretty terrible.

Says the guy who loves the inferior opening. :colbert:

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:
dunno what yall are on about this is the real best OP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b0oQkjup4Q

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Holy poo poo this rules.

My Spanish is super rusty though, is there an English translation anywhere?

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

AfroGunsou posted:

dunno what yall are on about this is the real best OP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b0oQkjup4Q

This was amazing the whole way through, but I lost my poo poo when Goku and King Kai appeared.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

You guys forgot about the first (second) Dragon Ball opening back when it and Sailor Moon were the only anime game in town? And like Rock the Dragon, it's full of clips from random movies and what looks like a Dragon Quest enemy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHIv69nbTfI

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Rudoku posted:

You guys forgot about the first (second) Dragon Ball opening back when it and Sailor Moon were the only anime game in town? And like Rock the Dragon, it's full of clips from random movies and what looks like a Dragon Quest enemy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHIv69nbTfI

Wasn't that played in DBZA during the Fake Namek episode?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Kild posted:

Wasn't that played in DBZA during the Fake Namek episode?

Yep! I think it's pretty decent, but nothing can replace Rock the Dragon in my heart.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Besides the other good ones, I also rather enjoyed the DB Kai opening. It was cool that they included new clips from the various sagas as they moved through the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6IymH_E40g

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Cha La Head Cha La is honestly the best song ever made.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Hey guys, guess what's coming back to Toonami... well just a movie but DBZ on Toonami again. I do love the jab to Nicktoons at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqT9HQma79A

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Soulcleaver posted:

I use the chorus as my alarm. The best way to wake up. Get pumped, get hype.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Soulcleaver posted:

Its one of the few anime songs that's ever actually got stuck in my head. Years since hearing it for the first time I occasionally catch myself humming it.

cptn_dr posted:

I use the chorus as my alarm. The best way to wake up. Get pumped, get hype.

Every morning I wake up and open palm a DVD into the slot. It's Dragon Ball Z and Right then and there I start doing the moves alongside the main character, Goku. I do every move and do every move hard! Making bwsss sounds when I teleport around some Alien chump or even when I miss with the Kienzan. Not many can say they escaped Namek as it exploded. I Can.

It's at that point I forget the joke.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Rudoku posted:

Dont forget Pokemon and Digimon! :allears: ... Terrible times.

I guess there was Saturday night on the sci-fi channel, but some of that wasn't for young teens. Not at all nope. :stare:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Thyrork posted:

I guess there was Saturday night on the sci-fi channel, but some of that wasn't for young teens. Not at all nope. :stare:

It was like that in Australia for the most part oustide of one small thing. On Saturday nights around 1999/2000 SBS would show Bubblegum Crisis 2040 which was pretty neat to a nine/ten year old.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Thyrork posted:

It was before even that. It was during the age of "Educational TV" laws making GBS threads up Saturday morning cartoons, which probably let monster-battle anime crap thrive. Fuckin' Dino Babies...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Squallege posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR46WbmYFyQ
I think this'll end all discussion about the best openings.

YO HO HO HE TOOK A BITE O' GUM GUM.

Thyrork posted:

Aside from Pokémon and Digimon, I remember when DBZ got popular and all the other kids' channels we had on Sky Digital scrambled for their own action anime series, Nickelodeon ended up with Cardcaptor Sakura while Fox Kids got Sailor Moon and (one I actually liked) Vision of Escaflowne.

Cartoon Network also got Gundam Wing but they never tried any of the other entries in the franchise (it remains the only Gundam series I've seen; to this day, I have not seen a single Universal Century series).

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Toonami also aired G Gundam, and it was beautiful. :allears:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Metal Loaf posted:

Cartoon Network also got Gundam Wing but they never tried any of the other entries in the franchise (it remains the only Gundam series I've seen; to this day, I have not seen a single Universal Century series).

They played both the original Gundam and 8th MS Team, which I know because somewhere in my parents house is a collection of unlabeled VHS tapes with every episode lovingly recorded because it was the early 2000's and we had nothing but time on our hands. They also played G Gundam but yeah there was some UC love. When it moved to the Saturday slot they even played the Char's Counterattack movie which was really confusing without the series in between.

And oh man, loving Zoids.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Toonami aired G Gundam and the original series, but they bombed sadly. They also ran 0080, 0083 and the 08th MS Team at midnight. I think they aired SEED too? Gundam just never caught on in the US.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't recall ever seeing any Gundam series other than Wing on Cartoon Network or its spin-off channels. However, I'm pretty sure Sci-Fi in the UK had Gundamn SEED and Gundam 00. Or maybe that was also Cartoon Network. Frankly, I can't remember, I haven't really watched TV regularly in years.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

They were on Toonami all right. I even taped them. Of course, classic Gundam bombed because 90s kids didn't want to see 1970s animation and it got cancelled before it even finished because 9/11 happened and the theme of the show is basically "war is hell". That, and I think kids were confused that First Gundam and G Gundam were different universes from Wing (and were totally different types of shows, to boot). It's sorta like how a bunch of kids in the states played Final Fantasy VII first and were pissed off that VIII and IX were not direct sequels even though the series had always been like that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Well, when it would have been on, I had to go to bed at 9 o'clock, so I probably just missed it. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012

Thyrork posted:

The first anime series I really watched was Pokemon on Satruday mornings. The next anime series that I watched when ever I could was Digimon, despite the worst dubbing to grace TV around here:Agapio Racing Team :suicide:

Now that I'm thinking, I'm starting to remember seeing bits and pieces of DBZ with all kinds of dubs in hotel TVs during vacations. There are 2 bits in particular I remeber, both(I think) from Cell saga. The first bit is Cell 2 blasting the countryside while flying around and the second bit is Tien blasting Cell 2 with his Tri Beam.

When they started showing DBZ here I watched/taped it to the begining of Cell and then just lost interest. When I read that the Dragon Ball manga was going to be translated with minimal if any censoring I got interested again. Few books later highlight of the month was when a new one was out at the local R-Kioski.

I haven't read the whole thread, but has there been any discussion about the HL1 mod Earth's Special Forces? That was some really hot stuff to play while waiting for next month. Oh the fond memories of geting to nuke half the map with SSJ Vegeta's Final Flash :allears:

• Locked thread