Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

They have recoil because it makes them look more powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Mister Adequate posted:

e; ^^^ Every videogame needs moai.

AT-ATs are armed with two laser cannon and two blaster cannon. Blaster cannon fire high-energy particle beams so could possibly have recoil? I don't know.

Yeah, I think the the general blaster weaponry in Star Wars consists mostly of an energised plasma that's accelerated and fired through some laser/particle-related technobabble. So there's an actual projectile with some mass, which would produce some recoil when fired.
:goonsay:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Bad Munki posted:

I don't understand: a pilot would roll into a dive so he can pull "up" instead of pulling negative g by pitching nose down. But they have artificial gravity on that thing, and all sorts of inertial dampening, so there's literally no reason to roll into an inverted dive, especially one as gentle as that. Unless the millennium falcon is like the zoolander of starships and can only pull up. That must be it.

The guys who were trying to shoot them at the time probably asked the same question.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
The Empire Strikes Back

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Robert Denby posted:

The Empire Strikes Back

You're doing the Lord's work here son.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Came to post these. Oh well.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Here's my poor attempt to make that loop a little better.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Looping from that film seems hard since all the shots are really dynamic.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Oh god Robert Denby don't stop! Talk dirty to me more, baby.
:wink:

No seriously, this is the perfect motivation I need to rewatch the original Trilogy. Thanks, man.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Bongo Bill posted:

Lord Sidious seems to be the kind of douche who orders one billion space ships and upon delvery goes no no no that's not how cannons behave and then proceeds to electocute sales reps all the way up through the corporate ladder until someone accepts a full return and costs for "fixing them", i.e. outfitting them with servomotors that judders barrels spastically every which way upon discharge, to give them that kitemarked imperial precision. Like boss cone hair from Dilbert, who got a tablet pc that he has to shake upside down every once in a while to clear up space for new documents.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

kinmik posted:

No seriously, this is the perfect motivation I need to rewatch the original Trilogy. Thanks, man.

There's a rumor going around that Disney is going to re-release the Original OT on BluRay in time for the new movie.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

kinmik posted:

I'm glad you guys are enjoying these so much! I'll make some more tonight and tomorrow.

Return of the Jedi

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Jam

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

wrong thread woops!

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

There's a rumor going around that Disney is going to re-release the Original OT on BluRay in time for the new movie.

Disney doesn't have the rights to the original trilogy, sorry Star Wars nerds.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

I don't understand: a pilot would roll into a dive so he can pull "up" instead of pulling negative g by pitching nose down. But they have artificial gravity on that thing, and all sorts of inertial dampening, so there's literally no reason to roll into an inverted dive, especially one as gentle as that. Unless the millennium falcon is like the zoolander of starships and can only pull up. That must be it.

The cockpit of the Falcon has windows above the pilot seat, so by rotating the ship to put the floor of the cockpit (which he cannot see through)towards the asteroid he is able to increase his field of view in the direction he is going to be turning towards.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

rydiafan posted:

The cockpit of the Falcon has windows above the pilot seat, so by rotating the ship to put the floor of the cockpit (which he cannot see through)towards the asteroid he is able to increase his field of view in the direction he is going to be turning towards.

Yeah but being a jedi, couldn't Hand Solo just mind meld with the force or whatever instead?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Bad Munki posted:

Yeah but being a jedi, couldn't Hand Solo just mind meld with the force or whatever instead?

He was actually a smuggler, and the force mind molded with Jean Luck Pickerd.

Stavrogin
Feb 6, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

pro troll.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Bongo Bill posted:

Star Wars fluff is equal parts "because it looks cool," poo poo that I kid you not came from fans making up names for random greeble on the official models out of whole cloth ("that's the...uh...forward dynamo-G defuser"), and retconning of psychobabble and outright mistakes no one actually cared about when the movies were being made (like using parsecs as a unit of time).

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

If you cross your eyes its 3D

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Bad Munki posted:

He didn't want to lose the antenna.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Bad Munki posted:

He was on space antibiotics to cure his space syphilis and it killed all his midichlorians too.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

cobalt impurity posted:

He was on space antibiotics to cure his space syphilis and it killed all his midichlorians too.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
So I'm sure most of you know that there was going to be more of the ice creature (the Wampa) in The Empire Strikes Back. From the looks of it, they shot a few scenes with it and decided the suit looked too silly.

Robert Denby has a new favorite as of 01:19 on May 19, 2014

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Gavrilo Princip
Feb 4, 2007

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, I think the the general blaster weaponry in Star Wars consists mostly of an energised plasma that's accelerated and fired through some laser/particle-related technobabble. So there's an actual projectile with some mass, which would produce some recoil when fired.

Actually, while photons are massless, they still have momentum so there's still recoil from photons, it's just really tiny. Not normally observed in your average day to day interaction with photons, but just you try doing Mossbauer spectroscopy without accounting for it.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Perestroika posted:

I remember hearing a story that they have recoil because Harrison ford knows how guns work and goddamnit he knows what recoil is. There's probably half a dozen 'reasons' why they do in EU sources, but the main reasons is that guns have recoil, blasters are guns. This is also why they frequently have some sort of reloading that resembles normal guns. because it's what we expect and it can be cool when done right.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I just want everyone to remember that George Lucas literally named Obi-Wan's home planet Stewjon. No, I am not loving with you.

There is also a genre of music in Star Wars called Jizz. No I'm not loving with you on that either. So while everyone debates technobabble and :goonsay:'s just remember those are things that people have come up with.

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

Robert Denby posted:

I'm glad you guys are enjoying these so much! I'll make some more tonight and tomorrow.

Return of the Jedi

If you're taking requests, I'd like to see one of the Falcon flying toward the camera right after it torpedoes the main reactor and the tunnel shoots past behind it!

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

rear end. You're welcome.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

AlistairCookie posted:

rear end. You're welcome.

There used to be a youtube series of this but it got removed I think. It's a shame, i never found out if she was hot.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
it's a man

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Is that a joke? There's a youtube series of just a gyrating man rear end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Two more gifs from the wampa scenes that were cut from The Empire Strikes Back

Bart Fargo posted:

If you're taking requests, I'd like to see one of the Falcon flying toward the camera right after it torpedoes the main reactor and the tunnel shoots past behind it!
Read this as I was making gifs, so here you go!

And a bonus...

• Locked thread