Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

Merkin Muffley posted:

Where are you guys that ATG is so expensive? Here in the Northern KY/Cincinnati area they're usually 9 bucks a bomber, with the exception of their barrel-aged stuff and the All Funked Up beers. Even then they're like 13 bucks max... Definitely not daily-drinker prices but I feel like I get my money's worth very time I pick up a bottle.

California, and at a notoriously shady bottle shop that has crazy prices. I've read that it's kinda normal to pay those kinda prices for ATG on the west coast though, not that I'd ever do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

funkybottoms posted:

helps to know where you're from and what you like, but breweries i like from up that way are Allagash, Smuttynose, Berkshire, Cisco, Southampton, Mayflower, and Sebago. there are plenty of other great New England breweries, but i don't think they necessarily get distribution in RI

Yeah, sorry for the very :effort: post, I was in a rush. Im from MD, love Belgians, saisons, sours, funky beers. Thanks for the recommendations, I'll check them out

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Yeah, sorry for the very :effort: post, I was in a rush. Im from MD, love Belgians, saisons, sours, funky beers. Thanks for the recommendations, I'll check them out

well, that's pretty serious English ale territory, don't know who really focuses on Belgian styles beyond Allagash, which you can obviously get in MD. i guess Pretty Things does, but i can't admit to being their biggest fan (although many of their beers are well-rated, could just be me). if you're driving and willing to make a stop or two, i'm sure you can find some Captain Lawrence, which does a little bit of everything to mostly very good results, and a side trip to MA or Philly would probably get you a whole raft of different options.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Man I wish Deschutes came anywhere close to Florida because I want to fill my fridge with Fresh Squeezed and call it a life.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Man I wish Deschutes came anywhere close to Florida because I want to fill my fridge with Fresh Squeezed and call it a life.

Was going to ask what the highlights of your trip to Oregon were.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

FYAD SECRETARY posted:

California, and at a notoriously shady bottle shop that has crazy prices. I've read that it's kinda normal to pay those kinda prices for ATG on the west coast though, not that I'd ever do it.

don't know if a local distributor handles ATG near its home turf, but anyplace with those crazy prices is getting it through Shelton Bros, and that's par for the course

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

How is Against the Grain 35k? Shocked to see that here in Seattle.

Also funny that I was able to get more Almanac here than in California. Got Valley Of The Heart's Delight, BA Peche, and Farmer's Reserve Blackberry.

e: always thought ATG was IL but guess not...

air- fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 17, 2014

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

Finished off the box of beer that my friend from OR sent...also had a bunch of other stuff.

Fred: Fred was pretty tasty. Smelled amazing and had a nice sweetness.

Adam: I don't remember this one as well and preferred Fred.

Peche n Brett: Wow, people weren't kidding about this beer. Peach comes through nicely and it isn't heavy on the brett. Really happy I got to finally try it.

Abt 12: I bought this and the Rochefort to try against the Westvleteren. It turned out to be a gusher and had a bit of a musty tasty to it. I think we just got a bad bottle.

Rochefort 10: This was must better than the Abt but didn't have much complexity.

Westy 12: I'll premise this by saying I'm not the biggest abbey ale fan but this one was the clear winner. It was pretty tasty and definitely complex. I had a bottle about four years ago and this seemed better. To note: I got the bottle from some visiting Belgian relatives who had cellared it for 8 years. There was a best by date that was stamped on top and it had "expired" last December.

PW Smores: A bit more roast and marshmallow than their first batch...which was great because it is still just as tasty.

Coffee Doppelbock homebrew: Along with the OR beer, my buddy sent some homebrew. This one tasted like cigarette butts.

Sour Saison homebrew: This was pretty drat good. He used dregs from a few different bottles and added lemon zest. Nice tart and tasty.

Sahalie: My wife and friend enjoyed this more but I thought it was too sweet. Could have used more funk as well.

BA Old Rasputin: It's Old Rasputin but BAed...what more is there to love? Bit overpriced though.

Stickee Monkee: FW barrel program is always ridiculously good and this one was no exception. Really nice barrel and a ton of brown sugar on the palate. Really awesome beer.

Compusaurus fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 17, 2014

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

If it were only a little bit cheaper I'd have this in my fridge all the time, it's great.

remember
Nov 23, 2006

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Ommegang is close and they make a lot of Belgian styles but I think they have pretty wide distribution anyway. I've only had the Allagash trippel but it was fantastic. If you can't get Brooklyn Local 1 and 2 around you, they're good Belgain style beers.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Just wanted to agree with whoever it was that said that Spröcketbier was actually pretty good. I found it very delicious and extremely drinkable.

Valencia
Feb 1, 2005

Cyril, go lock up the product before Cokie Monster here gobbles it all up.

:catdrugs:

Merkin Muffley posted:

Where are you guys that ATG is so expensive? Here in the Northern KY/Cincinnati area they're usually 9 bucks a bomber, with the exception of their barrel-aged stuff and the All Funked Up beers. Even then they're like 13 bucks max... Definitely not daily-drinker prices but I feel like I get my money's worth very time I pick up a bottle.

One of the only times I've seen ATG stuff here in Raleigh was when a local shop got in Bo & Luke and sold them for like $27 apiece. They apparently only got two bottles in and one of them went to a shop employee. :sigh:

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Anderson Valley's The Kimmie, The Yink & The Holy Gose. Been hearing a lot about this and was happy to find a sixer. Tarter and saltier than Troublesome, and I remember Westbrook's still being more sour than this. The mouthfeel is weirdly slick. I feel kind of mucus-y after each sip. And that really hurts it's drinkability to me, so it's probably back to Troublesome as my go-to (and it's cheaper).

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
My girlfriend owed me $$$, so she paid me back by buying me some stuff at a local shop so I finally pulled the trigger on a bottle of Lady of the Woods. I have no idea how old this bottle is but it's been there for at least a year.

Cork came out with no pop, which is worrisome for a bottle-conditioned beer. Sure enough, it's pretty still. I get a lot of tropical fruit (passion) in the nose and on the tongue. Pretty sour with a clean finish. Overall, this is excellent. It reminds me a lot of Splinter Gold, only without the awkward sweetness. Or a less dry Beatification. Great beer. Would approach top-tier with more carbonation. And at $18, I think I'd pick this over any shelf Bruery sours.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

danbanana posted:

My girlfriend owed me $$$, so she paid me back by buying me some stuff at a local shop

:worship:

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Yo Tampa goons. Datz has all last year's Bourbon Counties on (minus Prop, of course.)

They served me a full pint of Backyard Rye. For 8 bucks. :catstare:

e: Back home and apparently they had Prop on earlier in the week.

I probably should have gone sooner or something, but it's still crazy these have all been on for four days now and Prop's all that kicked.

deadwing fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 18, 2014

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

danbanana posted:

My girlfriend owed me $$$, so she paid me back by buying me some stuff at a local shop so I finally pulled the trigger on a bottle of Lady of the Woods. I have no idea how old this bottle is but it's been there for at least a year.

Cork came out with no pop, which is worrisome for a bottle-conditioned beer. Sure enough, it's pretty still. I get a lot of tropical fruit (passion) in the nose and on the tongue. Pretty sour with a clean finish. Overall, this is excellent. It reminds me a lot of Splinter Gold, only without the awkward sweetness. Or a less dry Beatification. Great beer. Would approach top-tier with more carbonation. And at $18, I think I'd pick this over any shelf Bruery sours.

I had a similar experience when I tried the same beer last year. Extremely underrated.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I moved today from Manhattan to Sunnyside, Queens, and a block away from my apartment is a grocery store with a great beer selection. I decided to just browse, but after spotting a few bottles of KBS I decided, "gently caress that, let me treat myself." I bought a bottle and drank it today. To new beginnings!

By the way, if you're in NYC, the place I'm talking about is off the 40th St. stop on the 7 line. Get 'em while they last.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

the yellow dart posted:

I had a similar experience when I tried the same beer last year. Extremely underrated.

As did I, but mine was nicely carbed. Very good beer.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

funkybottoms posted:

well, that's pretty serious English ale territory, don't know who really focuses on Belgian styles beyond Allagash, which you can obviously get in MD. i guess Pretty Things does, but i can't admit to being their biggest fan (although many of their beers are well-rated, could just be me). if you're driving and willing to make a stop or two, i'm sure you can find some Captain Lawrence, which does a little bit of everything to mostly very good results, and a side trip to MA or Philly would probably get you a whole raft of different options.

I noticed this as well, but it seems pretty normal for the easy coast anyways to have English ales, ipas, etc. I'm stopping in Philly on the way home, so hopefully I can get something different before I go home. Last time I remember going to a shop in Princeton where they had lost Abbey, which was pretty awesome.

My uncle did give me some Narragansett Del's shandy to drink , and I can't quite decide if it's terrible or delicious. I chugged the tall boy anyways to be respectful and slept well.....

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I cracked open a 2012 Hunahpu's last night, and I have to say that while I preferred it fresh, it still held up better than I feared it might, which is reassuring since I still have a couple bottles left.

ExtremistCow
Oct 15, 2005

krustster posted:

Furthermore how do people compare KBS to Big Bad Baptist?

I'm probably in the minority, but Big Bad Baptist tastes like wet coffee grounds to me.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Broke open a 3F Golden Doesjel upon sight at Beer Junction last night. It basically seemed like flat golden blend though? Pretty expensive and not that impressive - first big let down I've had from 3F especially since there's plenty of great lambics/gueuze for half the price.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

It's a doesjel.

Tantric
Dec 4, 2003
Mirror Mirror may not be the perfect barleywine but when you pick it up for $16 for a 64oz growler and share it around a bonfire with friends its pretty loving great.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Compusaurus posted:

Abt 12: I bought this and the Rochefort to try against the Westvleteren. It turned out to be a gusher and had a bit of a musty tasty to it. I think we just got a bad bottle.

You definitely got an infected bottle. Bernardus 12 is the same recipe as Westy, different yeast (actually the original Wesvleteren yeast), and it tastes very similar. I like it very slightly better than Wesvleteren 12, but the differences in a side-by-side are so minor it may come down to bottle variation. I'd recommend you pick up another Bernardus some time. It's among the best quads in the world, and your experience of it shouldn't be limited to a bad bottle.

Last night was a local-brewery tap takeover at my local bar, which most of them took as an opportunity to bring their gimmick beers. There were good things on tap as well - like God of Thunder Baltic Porter, which may be the best thing Vegas has ever produced - but there were some definite oddities.

Joseph James Brewing Co. Honey Ginger Shandy - Decent ginger presence, but too sweet. Needs some acidity from the citrus to counter the honey. If if was half as sweet as it is, I could see it being a regular lawnmower beer for me. 2.5/5

Chicago Brewing Co. (oddly enough, a Vegas area brewery) Blueberry Vanilla Wheat - Ever been in a 7-11 or whatever convenience store chain is local to your area and looked at the baked goods? They probably sell blueberry muffins. This beer tastes exactly like I imagine those to. It tastes like survive-the-nuclear-holocaust gas station blueberry muffins. 2/5

Joseph James Brewing Co. Red Eye Coffee IPA - a decent challenger to Stone's Dayman. I'd drink this again. 4/5

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

I had a bottle of Prior 8 that I think was infected/bad a few months ago. There was literally 0 carbonation and it tasted very bland. I looked up pictures of it too and saw that they all had carbonation. I bought the mixed 4 pack with glass and the others were all fine. I love their tripel. Is St. Bernardus having issues?!

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Portland, OR goons: Bottle share at Hop and Vine on June 14! More info here:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/visiting-pdx-bottle-share-interest-on-6-14.172586/page-2#post-2432930

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Madame Rose is goddamn delicious. Had a glass while shopping at Whole Foods earlier today and ended up springing for a bottle to bring home. Sucks to pay 27 bucks, but I really enjoy that beer.

I also forgot how tasty Deschutes Fresh Squeezed was- love that its now in sixers. Citra and mosaic is like a hops cheat code. Awesome summer beer.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
Finally popped my bottle of Backyard Rye last night and was extremely disappointed. The alcohol seemed more pronounced then in regular BCBS and the berries combined with it to produce a cough syrup like finish for me. It's still a pretty good beer, but light years behind regular.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Retemnav posted:

It's still a pretty good beer, but light years behind regular.

Vanilla and Prop are by far the best variants (and Rare, if you count that) that they've done and the only two that surpass regular when on. Cherry, Bramble, Backyard and Coffee are all great beers but most times I'd prefer a regular with a little time on it.

Chicagoons: Sarah on Addison (two blocks east of WLV) still has Galactic Double Daisy Cutter if you're interested.

And Two Hearted in cans? THANK YOU.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

So silly question : a guy I know did a cellar sale to fund a vacation. I bought about ten bottles from him. All at cost no markups and got some good stuff...
I got him to sell me a Cacaonut for 5 bucks since I bought so much other stuff....

100% sure it's infected or are there some good bottles out there?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

danbanana posted:

Can I get amen?! ...Seriously.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Thanks for the Fresh Squeezed chat, thread. Bought a six pack today. Owns.

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

Vertigo posted:

So silly question : a guy I know did a cellar sale to fund a vacation. I bought about ten bottles from him. All at cost no markups and got some good stuff...
I got him to sell me a Cacaonut for 5 bucks since I bought so much other stuff....

I haven't heard of anyone who had a good bottle. Not sure if there are any out there.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
My SC friend sent me a couple bottles of BBA'd Cap'n Skoon's. The base beer (Westbrook's 2nd Anniversary beer) is one of my favorite imperial stouts ever so I was super pumped about this.

Pours black, obviously. Little head, even on the edge. Westbrook's BA'd stuff has a bad habit of being still... Smell is licorice and alcohol. Actually does smell a little like Jagermeister. And this carries through with the taste. The base beer wasn't terribly anise heavy, but the barrel aging on this brings it out. There's a fruitiness to it, too. Mouth is pretty still, as expected. Clean finish for the style, though.

This is unique. Liqueur-like, even more so than I think any BBA'd beer I've ever had. Definitely a sipper, even at only (ONLY!) 10% ABV. Something that should probably be split between a couple people but gently caress that: GAME OF THRONES NIGHT.

e: My wonderful, intelligent, and beautiful girlfriend just took a sniff and just said "molasses." And after she mentions it, she's right and I get more molasses than anise (Jager) now.

danbanana fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 19, 2014

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

danbanana posted:

Vanilla and Prop are by far the best variants (and Rare, if you count that) that they've done and the only two that surpass regular when on. Cherry, Bramble, Backyard and Coffee are all great beers but most times I'd prefer a regular with a little time on it.

Chicagoons: Sarah on Addison (two blocks east of WLV) still has Galactic Double Daisy Cutter if you're interested.

Sold out when I got there :/

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Found out the hard way that one of our kegs was infected and we couldn't serve it for our grand opening weekend.

HOWEVER
we're making lemonade out of lemons, letting it get a little more lovely with some modifications and selling it as a sour in a couple months

justmicrobrewerythings.txt

It's actually gonna be really cool.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

AAB posted:

Found out the hard way that one of our kegs was infected and we couldn't serve it for our grand opening weekend.

HOWEVER
we're making lemonade out of lemons, letting it get a little more lovely with some modifications and selling it as a sour in a couple months

justmicrobrewerythings.txt

It's actually gonna be really cool.

Pullin a Bruery eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Vertigo posted:

Nobody I know has had an uninfected bottle. 2013 was pretty rough for them, capping off with the Three Floyd's collab being infected (which, while released this year, had been barrel aging for a year). None of the 2014 stuff I've gotten has had major issues though - the worst has been Filmishmish being cloudy as gently caress (but still heaven in a glass).

I genuinely don't mind the 'oh hey this was a tasty fuckup' approach as long as you tell the buyer.