Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

I don't understand how it can be for the April slideshow I just want to give all my personal opinion points to templates and markers. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

The work in those slideshows is so beautiful I just shed a single tear of purest scintillating crystal, which gracefully fell to the floor and shattered forever.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Monoliths posted:

The work in those slideshows is so beautiful I just shed a single tear of purest scintillating crystal, which gracefully fell to the floor and shattered forever.

Use the dust from it for snow basing, like those goofs who have no regard for personal safety and use powdered glass for their snow.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

SRM posted:

Use the dust from it for snow basing, like those goofs who have no regard for personal safety and use powdered glass for their snow.

I cringe whenever I see that and we rightfully make fun of it a lot but like, people sell it, and presumably people use it. Are there a bunch of cases of people shredding their lungs and getting silicosis from that stuff or are we sort of overreacting?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

JoshTheStampede posted:

I cringe whenever I see that and we rightfully make fun of it a lot but like, people sell it, and presumably people use it. Are there a bunch of cases of people shredding their lungs and getting silicosis from that stuff or are we sort of overreacting?

I think the only people who would buy it are people who are REALLY serious about their painting/modeling and wouldn't gently caress around too much with dangerous materials. Facemasks are a must with something like that. If it was easier to find and it was distributed by GW or GF9 we'd probably hear about people inhaling this stuff, but as it is it's only sold be niche retailers in a niche market.

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

I'd be afraid of residue of that stuff being around the house and guests or pets getting a sniff of it. I don't have a separate workshop for painting.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I'd be afraid of touching it with my fingers, inhaling it, having my eyes open near it, being in the same zipcode as it, etc.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Really, the only place where I can see that being useful is either in cinematic models, or those crazy historical setups. Somewhere where you're being paid serious cash for the best possible appearance.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Brock Samsonite posted:

I'd be afraid of residue of that stuff being around the house and guests or pets getting a sniff of it. I don't have a separate workshop for painting.

We're talking hardcore modelers here. What pets/guests?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Iris of Ether posted:

I don't see my entries for the Display Board or Get Based Out. Otherwise, everything's there. :)

moths posted:

My GBO bases photo is just the one showing the month's theme - could I possibly get a few more in there? There were some cool ruined walls I was really happy with.

Achmed Jones posted:

My diorama is missing (not that it holds a candle to some of the work in there, yowza!).

Germ posted:

My diorama (the entry from the OSL themed month) is missing, and while WOM has the based category swept, an additional shot showing my base with the heldrake might set the maggots in a more Nurgly context.

E: here's the diorama: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3547161&perpage=40&pagenumber=105#post424993517

And here's the additional shot of the base in context:

Pash posted:

As I said in the other thread my display board is missing, and while not great it does exist.

Slimnoid posted:

My Get Based Out entry isn't in the slideshow.

Relevant post link. It was Lord Chompy Bits, aka these shots:

all added! thank you!

just FYI, some of the posts were missing the bold bits, "for example this is my diorama entry", but Leperflesh being the pro he is caught everything on the spreadsheet. Thanks for linking to relevant posts where required! But this is just a reminder to me that I need to make it a little clearer in the new rules that anything you're claiming must be in bold.

If you guys and (anyone else) can please check your entries are where they're supposed to be, I'll get the slideshows to the judges for our Days of Nail-Chewing While We Await the Points Totals!

Germ
May 7, 2013

krushgroove posted:

just FYI, some of the posts were missing the bold bits, "for example this is my diorama entry",

That'd be me. Apologies!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
No worries - there were others (and the diorama just stuck in my head, didn't want to call anyone in particular out :P)! Just thank Leperflesh for his diligence, he was the watchman on that stuff and I think it should be much easier this year, so he put in quite a bit of hard work to catch everything.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Edit:nothing to see here...

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 19, 2014

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I, Dr. Red Ranger, oath these 5 Chaos Cultists(GW, 28mm) for the month of May

Pssst... you might want to post that in the new season 5 thread :ssh:

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Oops! I'll get on that

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
I got my Infinity starter box set in today! Gotta say, these are some drat nice models, and I'll probably Oath them in the future.

Namenlos
Oct 20, 2010
Are the final judgings going to be posted in this thread?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Namenlos posted:

Are the final judgings going to be posted in this thread?

Yep! This thread is for season 4 stuff, the other thread is for season 5 stuff.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
:gifttank:April Judgement!:gifttank:

3rd Place, 1 Point: Namenlos

Great color choices, the green/black/brass go together quite nicely. Simple but effective bases, they work nicely with the shields. The shields themselves have excellent weathering on them

2nd Place, 2 Points: Germ

You finished up with more of the great, bold work we've seen all year. Your technique is incredibly consistent on these walls, they look like they could have been copied, cut, and pasted. Great rust effect on the gun, and the pools are sweet as well.

1st Place, 3 Points: Under 15

Flawless execution. Everything about these screams awesomeness. The laser, the green portal, all of it. The paint jobs are nice as well, really compliment the ideas.

Detektuv's Jurnal Bonus, All the Journals, 1 Point: Under 15

Because. gently caress. Yeah.

And all the other judgements! All of them!

:parrot:Dioarmas!:parrot:

3rd Place : Schmetterling

All that water. Nice crashing waves, Cthulhu looks great.

2nd Place : Buffalo Squeeze

Great tone, the crew looks great together. Nice looking cobblestones.

1st Place : Namenlos

Great execution of the flame effects, feels like a snapshot of a scene with lots of movement.

:killdozer:Display Boards!:killdozer:

3rd Place : Enri

Simple, very moody. Love the colors, placement of the pillars in the corners.

2nd Place : Iris of Ether

Great idea, lights turned out very nicely. Boards were well done.

1st Place : Monoliths

Swappable scenery bits are aces, nice depth and colors all around.

:wotwot:Get Based Out!:wotwot:

3rd Place, 1 Points: Red Shoe

Your water effects have been sweet all year.

2nd Place, 2 Points: WhiteOutMouse

Great flame effect. Painted base/cotton smoke pillar compliment each other.

1st Place, 3 Points: Moths

Some of my favorite bases this year. Love the street signs, great weathering all around.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bachtere posted:

And all the other judgements! All of them!

Alright, so, just in case anyone is confused:

Per the OP, for the Diorama and Display Board contests, the judges are voting for the best one; so I guess we'll use Bachtere's example and add up the votes and give the prize to the one with the most. If there's a tie (and that seems quite likely) we'll have to figure out a tiebreaker.

But these aren't "points" in the sense that they don't add to the point totals.

Get Based Out, however, says that there are extra scoring points to be earned from the judge's votes, in addition to a prize for the best one. How many points? It doesn't say. Bachtere has gone with the most logical answer, but I'm annoyed I didn't notice that earlier, so I'm gonna go back to my year-old emails with krushgroove and try to figure out if we decided that already at some point.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

Alright, so, just in case anyone is confused:

Per the OP, for the Diorama and Display Board contests, the judges are voting for the best one; so I guess we'll use Bachtere's example and add up the votes and give the prize to the one with the most. If there's a tie (and that seems quite likely) we'll have to figure out a tiebreaker.

But these aren't "points" in the sense that they don't add to the point totals.

Get Based Out, however, says that there are extra scoring points to be earned from the judge's votes, in addition to a prize for the best one. How many points? It doesn't say. Bachtere has gone with the most logical answer, but I'm annoyed I didn't notice that earlier, so I'm gonna go back to my year-old emails with krushgroove and try to figure out if we decided that already at some point.

faaaaark I missed that line :doh:
I thought it wasn't worth any extra points so I didn't do one

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Bachtere posted:

3rd Place : Enri

Simple, very moody. Love the colors, placement of the pillars in the corners.

I know there's no scoring points for this but made me feel all warm and fuzzy, thank you :) I wasn't convinced that it was working very well at all until I got some models onto it! and for anyone curious, a cheap picture frame works wonders as a base to start off from :ssh:

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
:siren: SO, IT IS TIME :siren:

As promised at the start of the year, there is to be a special extra prize for the best themed group entry.

As the sole judge, ‘best’ in this context means whichever I like most. In order to support my decision making and try to make it less just ‘ineptmule’s favourite entry’, I went back to look at the initial brief that I gave for the themed group prize scheme:

ineptmule posted:

How do you qualify for this, you ask? Simple. For each oath you make that contains a group of models painted and/or converted to follow a theme you will get an entry into a bi-monthly draw. This means that if both of your oaths for a two-month period qualify you will double your chances of winning this prize! You will be ineligible for winning this again in the draw following a win, but will be able to thereafter.

The basic rule for this: The models should look like they belong together! Examples might include:
- Members of a Blood Bowl or Dreadball team
- A group of veteran warriors who have been fighting together for years
- A lowlife criminal gang who barely trust each other more than their enemies
- A cunning leader and their underlings
- A black ops team operating with dubious legality behind enemy lines
- A wizard and his menagerie of magical beasts / mechanickal creations / hapless lackeys

I was secretly hoping to achieve two goals:

One was to encourage people to paint more dudes, given that the minimum oath was moving towards one model per month.

The other was to encourage people to think outside the box and combine models from different ranges, games and manufacturers, but in such a way that they still looked like they belonged together. This could be done with unifying paint schemes or with nifty conversions.

So when reviewing this year’s worth of themed group oaths I was keeping these goals in mind. I came up with a ‘short list’ of about 25 completed oaths. Here are some of them in no particular order to give you an idea of what I was looking at:

Honourable Mentions

OneTrueBru’s Dark Angels from the first round: these guys obviously belong together because they’re all space marines and they’re all dark angels, but what I found really impressive about them is the level of execution in making their heraldry and chapter iconography really fit together.

Slimnoid’s Deathwing. Holy hell this crazy cat painted 1500 points of terminators in one month. Not only do they have a lovely take on the Deathwing bone colour, they are also made to look cohesive with the glowing weapons sprinkled throughout and some really fantastic basing.

Mr. Booger’s tiny battle group is really nice to see because of the cohesive colour scheme that is judiciously applied to each component - such as the way that the orange is more emphasised on the infantry while just an accent colour on the vehicles.

Booley did a lot of Tau stuff that looked really fantastic but I chose this image because you have tiny Pathfinders next to the Riptide and they look great together.

Entries that came close to winning

Mmtheblue assembled this excellent squad of guys using various components and that’s exactly what I was looking for. (Genestealer not included… or is he?! :ninja:)

Galaspar also made a killer guard squad out of a variety of pieces and tied them together with a great paint job.

Iris of Ether: How could I not include these guys? This is a perfect example of what I was hoping to see. It’s an hilarious and insane concept that works because the models are carefully painted and converted to bring the band together.

Moths crazy ninja magicians are just :krad: and I want to get some of these guys to paint myself: what are they?

Entries that came REALLY close to winning

This is where it starts to get really hard. Two of our highest ranked and most prolific oathers have an approach and level of painting skill where not only do their themed groups look amazing and really fit together but it goes beyond and in fact ALL of their stuff fits the theme. I’m talking, of course, about Monoliths and Red Shoe.

Monoliths' wacky conversions and excellent paint schemes make these groups look really solid. I’d love to see a full-army shot of your Orks. I also absolutely love those Chaos... things... whatever they are.

Red Shoe, I am in awe of your stuff. But the thing I find most hilarious/amazing about your themed groups and painting this year is that you would frequently complete multiple groups of models that qualify. This post is a good example - all of the Cyriss stuff would have made for an amazing altogether themed group but instead you chose to count only those servitors?! Of the six groups that I’ve chosen to link to above, I think only a couple were ‘official’ themed group entries!

So, that’s all the stuff that I think is great and has followed the Themed Group brief really well.

However, there is one particular Themed Group which I feel perfectly meets the aims I set out with when I came up with the prize:

SRM’s retro Ultramarine Veterans. Shine on you crazy diamond. While I don’t personally dig the retro vibe, these guys certainly tick the ‘belonging together’ box. In fact, this particular group really hits the spot of combining very different-looking miniatures and making them fit together - no other single themed group attempted to combine miniatures as diverse as this. Somehow you’ve managed to make really, really old sculpts look good together, and for that you win the prize.

Congratulations SRM!

PM me or email n.kirkby at googlemail.com to discuss your winnings.

Many thanks to everybody who entered a themed group. I hoped that my prize idea would appeal to people and it certainly seemed to! I look forward to seeing more themed group entries in the next season.

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 10:45 on May 23, 2014

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

ineptmule posted:

Moths crazy ninja magicians are just :krad: and I want to get some of these guys to paint myself: what are they?
Malifaux, Ten Thunders faction. Misaki's box if I'm not mistaken.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That's exactly what they are!

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

:argh: And here I thought I was a sure fit for first place. drat you Red Shoe!

nah it's cool dude, your stuff is superb

Edit: Now that I think about it I was one point ahead of Red Shoe before the final judging happened, so I'm wondering what happened there.

Slimnoid fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 23, 2014

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Slimnoid posted:

nah it's cool dude, your stuff is superb

Edit: Now that I think about it I was one point ahead of Red Shoe before the final judging happened, so I'm wondering what happened there.

Well, with two judges yet to cast their vote... there's still a chance :) I'm clinging onto either 9th or 10th place, dependent on how many judges points Pash has racked up over the year (and I guess whether or not he gets any for the final month too.. which would solve the problem of being tied anyway :))

I cannae take the excitement! :ohdear:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

poo poo, you're right, I thought all the judges had cast their vote already. Shows how much I pay attention.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Slimnoid posted:

I hope for the sake of all that's right in the world that you two tie on points, and tie down through every tie-breaker. The only reasonable solution will be a series of paint-offs, where, in order to win, someone needs to win two more contests than their opponent. This will go on for a LONG time, with neither one of you able to get a lead for long enough, sparking you to greater and greater heights of painterdom. Neither of you will ever win, but in witnessing the fruits of your labor, ALL of the rest of us will win.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

All of the judges points so-far awarded are counted in the final totals, except for the points for Get Based Out. So, still to be counted are:
Bachtere's Get Based Out points
April points from the other two judges
Get Based Out points from the other two judges

These, collectively, are enough to really rearrange the scores at the top, including bumping one or more goons in or out of the top ten.

Still to be awarded: all of the Grand Prizes; the Manifest's Best Conversion prize for Q4; the Saving the Whales prize; the Donated a Prize Prize; the Terrain Prize; the Tiny Troops prize; the Alternate Universe prize; the Corvus Belli big prize; the Diorama prize; the Display Board prize; and probably at least one or two prizes I've forgotten about!

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!

Germ posted:

I hope for the sake of all that's right in the world that you two tie on points, and tie down through every tie-breaker. The only reasonable solution will be a series of paint-offs, where, in order to win, someone needs to win two more contests than their opponent. This will go on for a LONG time, with neither one of you able to get a lead for long enough, sparking you to greater and greater heights of painterdom. Neither of you will ever win, but in witnessing the fruits of your labor, ALL of the rest of us will win.

I accept.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Red Shoe posted:

I accept.

TWO WILL ENTER. ONLY ONE WILL LEAVE.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

ineptmule posted:

Congratulations SRM!

PM me or email n.kirkby at googlemail.com to discuss your winnings.
It's an honor! There's some incredibly stiff competition in there, and everybody put out some amazing work this year. PM sent.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Germ posted:

Red Shoe posted:

I accept.

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE

Namenlos
Oct 20, 2010

Bachtere posted:

:gifttank:April Judgement!:gifttank:

3rd Place, 1 Point: Namenlos

Great color choices, the green/black/brass go together quite nicely. Simple but effective bases, they work nicely with the shields. The shields themselves have excellent weathering on them

1st Place : Namenlos

Great execution of the flame effects, feels like a snapshot of a scene with lots of movement.

:aaaaa: Thank you!

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

:pcgaming:FINAL JUDGEMENT!:pcgaming:

Third Place! (1 point): Monoliths!

It was easy to pick this one for the third place prize this month because I was hindered by the Bachtere Clause to rate it any higher. Your overall theme and color scheme with these Orks has been incredible and this is one amazing piece to go right in the middle of them. Great work making clean-lined graphical work (freehand, no less) look so beat up and grimy without hurting the cleanness of the lines themselves. Fantastic stuff.

Second Place (2 points): Red Shoe!

Congrats on being the best high volume high quality painter we have around these parts, Red Shoe. Another outstanding month for you.

First Place (3 points): Under 15!

*throws hands up in the air* What the hell? Look, no. You can't just do this. You're not allowed to just walk in here and put something like this down. There's rules, man. I don't know who you think you are, dropping something like this on us in the final month of this contest, but you can't. You just... can't.

Detective Jurnal Bonus Point (1 Point): Under 15!

*wanders out of the room, muttering*

:siren:DIORAMAS!:siren:
Third Place: Slimnoid!

It's the rock work that does it for me on this. I keep wanting there to be some other element, some other creature hiding in here, some greater drama going on to really push this into the territory of more points, but the environment is great. You didn't push the source light too far on the lava pools, and it just looks hot in there.

Second Place: Schmetterling!

And we go from hot to wet. As far as stories being told, this one captures the pretty epic. Great work on the waves, but I particularly appreciate just how wet that cliff face looks. I'm not a huge fan of the green OSL, it's a bit heavy, but the overall effect of this piece is hard to deny.

First Place: Buffalo Squeeze!

This is just lovely. A well constructed set, great character, I loved it since I first laid eyes on it. Nice work.

:siren:Display Boards!:siren:

Third place: Iris of Ether!

Great execution, and I liked the cubby for the tape measure. Nice use of lights.

Second Place: PierreTheMime!

Sure, it's a Realm of Battle board. But it's probably the best Realm of Battle board I have ever seen. The digestion pools are perfect, the foliage is lush, the earthtones are nicely varied and the fact that it contrasts your army scheme so well? Well, it's meant to display them, right? Great work.

First Place: Monoliths!

It was the dimensions on this one specifically, the height of the thing. It just drew me right in. And the wood grain, the swappable bits, the color, I'm with Bachtere on this one.

:siren:Get Based!:siren:

Third Place (1 Point): Red Shoe!

Watching you do this has been like getting an education. "Oh right, that's how you do waves on bases. Of course."

Second Place (2 Points): White Out Mouse!

SO. GODDAMN. AWESOME.

First Place (3 Points): Slimnoid!

Why is this not in the Diorama section? This is an absolutely astounding piece of base-work. You had no reason to make Lord Chompy Bits more insane, but you went and did it and excelled at it and I'm just stunned by what you've made here. It's gorgeous. I'm dumbfounded.

Fix fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 28, 2014

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Alright! Just a reminder that while Fix has provided his votes for Diorama and Display board, those entries do not earn additional points: the judges are instead putting in votes for who will win the final prize for those contests.

The Get Based Out entries are worth points, and after some deliberation Krushgroove and I feel it's best to go with what we've got right now - the points assigned to the entries by the judges will be added.

With everything accounted for except for ThisWayLiesMadness's judging and points, Red Shoe has taken a small lead, Under 15 has charged into the top 10, moths has moved up a spot, and the goons in the spots just outside the top 10 are still in the running depending on what TWLM does.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 27, 2014

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Leperflesh posted:

With everything accounted for except for ThisWayLiesMadness's judging and points, Red Shoe has taken a small lead, Under 15 has charged into the top 10, moths has moved up a spot, and the goons in the spots just outside the top 10 are still in the running depending on what TWLM does.

It's all up for grabs now :magical:

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Is the suspension killing you yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
And my final judgement is in!

April's Judgements:

This was quite hard to narrow down. Lots of great entries, and the Bachtere clause takes effect.

1 Point: Germ

You got 2 points last month, but that is a fantastic nurgling you've done to the aegis line and even made a chaos gun for it.

2 Points: Monoliths

You broke the weight of judgement in your favor with multitudes of ork goodness. Nice freehand work and weathering on all the walkers.

3 Points: Under 15

This has to be one of the most insane and creative oaths I've seen in the entirety of this contest. Wow.

Bonus Point: Under 15

Did I say wow yet?

Diorama Judgements:

1 Point: Schmetterling

A wizard vs C'thulu makes for a great scenic diorama. Great work on all the water effects, glows and other little touches you added in.

2 Points: Ledgem

I always wondered what people would do with that hanging tree. You've added some nice little extra scenic touches and it all blends together nicely.

3 Points: Namenlos

Really like the giant Seraphim diorama with all the extra little effects like OSL going on. You've been doing great work this year and it shows in this piece.

Display Board Judgements:

1 Point: PierreTheMime

I thought this board was pretty awesome when you first unveiled it, and I really love he bubbling effects you got on the green pools.

2 Points: Monoliths

A diorama that can change scenes? Now that's pretty boss.

3 Points: Iris of Ether

It was great to see your small rock band idea slowly grow up into this big diorama. The lights and all the little bits worked fantastic.

Get Based Out Judgements:

1 Point: WhiteOutMouse

Glowing flames are always a great touch, but using it to hide the flight stand worked nice.

2 Points: Red Shoe

As it's been said, your water effects have been tops this year and its the transparency along with the wave caps that really make it a formidable entry.

3 Points: Slimnoid

Awesome. It's just awesome.

• Locked thread