Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

meatpimp posted:

I have never understood the rage about Windows 8. The standard, traditional desktop is literally 1 click from the Metro interface. It's just not an issue.

No. Not really. There are some ways to wobble around buuuuuuut..... look the problem is that it's some dick thinks a desktop can run a tablet interface, when clearly this is always going to end in frustration.

W2K12 and Metro.... that's not just inexcusable, that's just asking for a sysadmin to murder the UX pricks that have loving no idea at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
What the gently caress am I doing with my life?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

blk posted:

OK, AI: Esprit S4/S4S vs NSX; which would you choose and why?

NSX

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

blk posted:

NSX, no question. I like the Esprit a lot but the NSX is a sports car you can DD with very few problems. Plus I am alllll about cars that can turn a corner.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

blk posted:

Speaking of Metro, any happy Windows phone users around? I'm kind of fed up with Android and don't really want to go back to iOS.

I love my Nokia Lumia 1020.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Here's my new project I bought today. It's a 1991 318i, and I'll make a thread as soon as I can actually start working on it. It needs a new engine (something horribly wrong with the valves that I don't give enough of a gently caress about to diagnose), and it will take me a little bit to get things together to the point where I can start the swap. I might just be boring and put a M20 in, but a M50 swap seems pretty tasty. Also, you can see the back of my head.

Edit: HOLY poo poo TABLES

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

What's the verdict on Rangers and Nissan Hardbodies? I would love a ute but since those are pretty much non-existent under $5,000 (and afaik the only American ute was the El Camino and some Ford iirc) I guess I have to settle with a small pickup.

edit: windows phone is cool looking but the lack of apps was a huge turnoff for me.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

blk posted:

Esprit because it's sexier and looks like a supercar.

NSX is probably ten times more reliable though.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

T1g4h posted:

I'm not a huge fan of AssCreed games but 4 is pretty loving great. Treat it like Sid Meier's Pirates! but all grown up and you'll have the right idea. Customizable, upgradable ship with an open world where you can sail, capture defeated ships to start a merchant fleet, fight legendary ships for special upgrades, go diving for blueprints, capture forts to call your own, search random islands for treasure... I mean yeah, there's a story, but it takes a massive backseat to the exploration and free roam. AC4 is pretty much amazing. Like, it's my favorite game to come out recently, it's that good.

EDIT: Also, you collect motherfucking shanties that you find floating in various towns and it unlocks new songs for your crew to sing while you're sailing. Collectable shanties. I don't think I need to say anything else :v:

Unless you have time to go to the Henry Ford Museum, no not really. Ann Arbor is fun to walk around and go drinking in but there is very very little to do in Southeast Michigan at this time of year.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tusen Takk posted:

Unless you have time to go to the Henry Ford Museum, no not really. Ann Arbor is fun to walk around and go drinking in but there is very very little to do in Southeast Michigan at this time of year.

I assume you meant to quote me. :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Anyone have any concrete and rebar experience? The rebar in the back wall of my patio is spalling (rusting and cracking the concrete) and I'm wondering what I gotta do to correct it or at least slow it down. Thinking about getting out as much as I can and just sealing it with epoxy.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Fucknag posted:

I assume you meant to quote me. :v:

Whoops, yes, yes I did :stonk:

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Geirskogul posted:

What the gently caress am I doing with my life?

I feel your pain fellow classic econocar buddy, I made a huge parts order for my Mini and I feel sad looking at my credit card statement. Kicker is it hasn't loving arrived yet and I have to make another order.

Buuuuuuuut Delta Airlines had a pricing glitch for a couple of hours and I got two round trip flights to Hong Kong for....

$138 each. Came out to $1080 in total after fuel surcharge, fees, taxes, etc. I'm still in loving shock, I feel like I just robbed someone.

Bulk Vanderhuge fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 19, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

leica posted:

Anyone have any concrete and rebar experience? The rebar in the back wall of my patio is spalling (rusting and cracking the concrete) and I'm wondering what I gotta do to correct it or at least slow it down. Thinking about getting out as much as I can and just sealing it with epoxy.

The problem is that concrete is porous and non coated rebar was used... so the rebar is going to rust if it's in a damp environment and the problem is going to be the worst closest to the surface, i.e. where it sticks out. The only good way to really solve the problem is to chip back enough concrete to cut the rebar an inch or two below the surface, then seal it as best you can (asphalt or epoxy on just the metal) then patch it with mortar over that.

This is why when I do my basement floor I'm probably going to try and use coated rebar or concrete mesh, if such a thing exists. Likely stupidly overbuilt for a basement floor and I don't give a drat, I want this place to last.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

$138 each. Came out to $1080 in total after fuel surcharge, fees, taxes, etc. I'm still in loving shock, I feel like I just robbed someone.

138x2=276

1080-276=804

I've never (paid to be) flown internationally. Is it really that bad?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kastein posted:

This is why when I do my basement floor I'm probably going to try and use coated rebar or concrete mesh, if such a thing exists. Likely stupidly overbuilt for a basement floor and I don't give a drat, I want this place to last.

Even if it doesn't exist, couldn't you coat it yourself? Would probably be a huge PITA but worth it in the end.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

138x2=276

1080-276=804

I've never (paid to be) flown internationally. Is it really that bad?

It can be. That's only $400 ish per ticket. Especially Canada to Hong Kong or similar.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Timmy Cruise posted:

It can be. That's only $400 ish per ticket. Especially Canada to Hong Kong or similar.

I was gonna say, even Orlando to Detroit 1-way is like $250; not at all unreasonable considering you're traveling like 5x the distance (twice), plus crossing borders.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
I got offered an interesting position in a medium size industrial supply company but it's not something I've ever done before. Any of you have experience with warehouse management?

blk
Dec 19, 2009
*wife gives a barbed insult to my taste in music*

*i give a joking insult back at her taste in music*

*wife throws a fit, yells at me, goes to sulk somewhere*

sometimes i really wish i played for the other team. women are unreasonable and generally horseshit.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
No, it sounds like some one can't take a joke. Men and women both!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Doesnt matter what you stick your dick in, its going to be a pain in the rear end.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Whomever wrote ISA 2004 needs to be sodomised with a horse. Not just the cock, the whole loving horse.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

cursedshitbox posted:

Doesnt matter what you stick your dick in, its going to be a pain in the rear end.

This. Can we have this be the new E/N slogan?

Edit: this is 100% correct.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 06:33 on May 19, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

blk posted:

sometimes i really wish i played for the other team. women are unreasonable and generally horseshit.

This. I'm fed up. If my current relationship doesn't work out, I'm just gonna give up trying for anything meaningful and go back to casual sex with random girls whilst simultaneously being richer, more free and happier.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Slavvy posted:

This. I'm fed up. If my current relationship doesn't work out, I'm just gonna give up trying for anything meaningful and go back to casual sex with random girls whilst simultaneously being richer, more free and happier.

Well, 2 out of 4 ain't bad :smith:

I was at my cousin's wedding this weekend, and seeing how happy she and her boyfriend-now-husband were just makes me miss having someone special in my life even more.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

RIP Sir Jack Brabham

Also drove a new Holden Cruze Diesel today. The motor was so loving noisy in it. There must be no sound insulation at all in it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So ever since it started warming up, I've noticed my engine pinging under acceleration, to the point that I can feel the loss of power when the ECU says NOPE and pulls timing. No codes, though mileage has gone to poo poo (last couple of tanks were right at 22 mpg). Running premium gets rid of the pinging... but also empties my wallet a bit quicker (manual calls for 87 octane).

I'd swapped the original plugs for NGK platinums last fall. I know the ignition system on the L61 is pretty drat picky; I just ordered the original p/n Delco iridium plugs (jesus gently caress $7 per plug?!). There's a $2/plug rebate going on right now too. Going to toss a new fuel filter at it soon as well.

Preoptopus posted:

gently caress that poo poo seriously? Your manager didnt even get a head start for you?
I would have walked out.

Did I mention there were 3 of us attacking that pile? :shepicide:

And the closing manager has their hands full with tons of poo poo before they can help with dishes - being a full restaurant/bar/delivery/carryout operation, there's a lot of paperwork, cleaning, etc to do. Closing manager handles all of the back of house closing stuff (except for dishes).

In any event, I mentioned to my GM that I'm looking for another job (second job initially, then eventually leave the Hut), and asked if he'd be willing to give me a good reference. He's willing to give both professional and personal references for me, just wants a heads up if I give out his cell # (he doesn't usually answer calls from #s he doesn't recognize).

Tusen Takk posted:

What's the verdict on Rangers and Nissan Hardbodies? I would love a ute but since those are pretty much non-existent under $5,000 (and afaik the only American ute was the El Camino and some Ford iirc) I guess I have to settle with a small pickup.

There's plenty of Rangers in AI (even our sexy mod has one), and I know several people who own them. The 4 cyl is slow, but solid. Not sure which V6 is the better one.

Hardbodies are generally solid, but you'll get to deal with replacing the timing chain guides pretty much ASAP if you get the 4 cylinder (it's straightforward, but you have to be ultra careful with the timing cover - the top seal on it is part of the head gasket and very easy to damage). Also keep in mind that the last year of the Hardbody in the US was 1997, though the KA engine lived on in the Frontier - while the Ranger was sold until 2011. The Ranger will also be cheaper to purchase.

If you're considering a V6 Hardbody, ask Ultimateforce about common issues.

You Am I posted:

Also drove a new Holden Cruze Diesel today. The motor was so loving noisy in it. There must be no sound insulation at all in it.

I'v driven the petrol Cruze (US version obviously - 2011 model year, rental) before. Even the gasser was a bit noisy on the intake side, but I chalked that up more to "economy car". It was a pretty well behaved and comfortable car though, far better (and quieter) than what I expected.

The diesel went on sale for the 2014 model year stateside - reviews are actually generally positive, even calling it "quiet". But the whole "slushbox only" bit is a turnoff for me. So is the $25k sticker (the gasser starts at $17.5k).

T1g4h posted:

Isn't being a kitchen bitch great?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:55 on May 19, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How cheap/expensive are hiluxes over there? Or do you mean ute ute as in commodore/falcon ute mate ute?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

We haven't actually had the Hilux since 1996 or 1997 (never sold as the Hilux here; marketed simply as the Toyota Truck).

And they're stupidly expensive for what they are. Late 80s/early 90s can still easily break $5k+ on the local Craigslist - such as this 1994 with nearly 300,000 miles and broken a/c. This base model 1987 (again with broken a/c) has an asking price of $3500.

You could pick up a much later model Ranger (with working a/c!) for about the same cost of that '87. Here's an ad (spanish) for a 99 with working a/c for $3500, here's a 1996 with working a/c for $2450.

We haven't had an actual ute since the Chevy El Camino ended production in 1987.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:13 on May 19, 2014

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

You Am I posted:

I'd rather walk than drive one of those agai. FUUUUUUUUUUUU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

blk posted:

I love Esprit's but I'd go NSX because they are awesome to drive.

Tusen Takk posted:

What's the verdict on Rangers and Nissan Hardbodies?
I've had both and I think they were both 1991 models...they were also both <$500 cars that were falling apart. That being said the Nissan was more fun to beat the poo poo out of.

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Buuuuuuuut Delta Airlines had a pricing glitch for a couple of hours and I got two round trip flights to Hong Kong for....

drat I need to re-setup my flight alerts on Slickdeals and similar.

So Netflix has been throwing LOST in my suggested viewing for a while, finally decided to watch an episode and see how lovely it is. I ended up watching about 3/4 of series 1 over the weekend. Enjoying it so far but I'm sure at some point they'll gently caress it up.

Stupid StraightTalk decided my APN settings are bad suddenly. Been working fine for ~9 months then go to use it the other day and no data. Not looking forward to sitting on hold with them.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 19, 2014

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Got forced into Disneyworld for the first time yesterday. Never again. 10 hours, five rides, and one very expensive lunch.

Nope. Never doing that poo poo again.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

leica posted:

Esprit because it's sexier and looks like a supercar.

You are crazy

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

NSX, no debate necessary, unless you're talking about keeping eye candy in a garage and never really need to drive it. In that case, still NSX.

Different topic:

I've got too many loving rechargeable devices that use the micro-USB -- various phones, kindles, nooks, etc. Right now I'm using a Leviton in-wall USB charger like this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008O11IEY/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

But I need something with like 8-10 different outputs (preferably high-output). I know a lot of your guys are in a similar situation, is there anything out there worthwhile for many-device charging?

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 19, 2014

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

leica posted:

Even if it doesn't exist, couldn't you coat it yourself? Would probably be a huge PITA but worth it in the end.

They make it, and it's not that much more expensive. It's one of those things where there's really no excuse that it's not more common. I actually have had trouble finding it locally when I needed it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Nobody outside of eBay has the Fujinon XF 35mm.

I'm gonna punch a nerd.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

iwentdoodie posted:

Got forced into Disneyworld for the first time yesterday. Never again. 10 hours, five rides, and one very expensive lunch.

Nope. Never doing that poo poo again.

Key to Disney World is getting to the park at rope drop, riding 3 rides, fast passing 3 rides, leave at 11 and go have lunch, hang out at the hotel pool until you go somewhere for dinner. You can alternately bring lunch and do the less popular rides after lunch. If you want a super pro tip, rent a DVC room from resellers on the internet and stay at Bay Lake Towers for 3 days, and an Epcot resort for the rest of the stay to facilitate making it to the park in 10 minutes rather then spending an hour parking every morning. You need to start planning 12 month ahead of time to get access to the special things and restaurants, they sell out the first day. Ohana is the best disney resturant and sweet tomato is the best fast offsite lunch. The new wrist bands let you schedule your fast passes ahead of arrival which make this plan better.

I prefer never doing that poo poo again but kids 3 to 8 lose their poo poo there and it is so drat cute I just have to see it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
So the light rail stations here have free parking up to 24 hours. I got a warning the other day for being parked longer than 24 hours. I'm not gonna fight it since it was only a warning, but I arrived at the station around 5PM and the warning was issued at 9:45 AM the morning after. What's up with that? Do they just assume overnight = longer than 24 hours?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I forgot how easy it was working for this shop. Got to the shop at 7, left 30 min after that. Got to the job site at 9. Polished like 36 strands of fiber and now we are eating lunch. Too bad it's only a 2 week call. :(

• Locked thread