Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Evil Mastermind posted:

I ran a pretty lengthy campaign in a sky island world that had the PCs as a pirate crew that was slowly morphing into a trading fleet. Reign is best for games where the PCs are in a situation where they can build power slowly over the standard murderhoboing.
Oh yeah, if you're still murderhoboing after a while it's gone horribly wrong, but if you're not sure where to start you can go with what's familiar and see where the players take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Speaking of Greg Stolze's settings …in Spaaace! is one of my favorite RPG reads of all time it's such a fun take on Scifi and i love it.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Elfgames posted:

Speaking of Greg Stolze's settings …in Spaaace! is one of my favorite RPG reads of all time it's such a fun take on Scifi and i love it.

Dinosaurs... In Spaaace! is a fun setting with a rules set that never made any loving sense to me. Luckily, we have Fate which I think is what he was trying to design.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Trying to wrap my head around Wild Talent's Gadgeteering process. Can someone walk me through it?

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

psychopomp posted:

Trying to wrap my head around Wild Talent's Gadgeteering process. Can someone walk me through it?

Off the top of my head, it's a power that lets you simulate other powers by temporarily moving "Gadgeteer" dice to temporary powers. You use the "do anything" A/D/U power to simulate stuff. You could replace Gadgeteering with alchemy or magic or whatever.

So you have 10HD of "Gadgets" and you split them into 4HD of Flubber Shoes and 6HD of Flying Car, and you spend willpower to give those powers extras.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Is that 10d for all three qualities (A, U, D) or 10d for each quality? I'm assuming the former. Someone asserted the latter.

And it says it requires time and a workshop (and has the Delay flaw) - what kind of time scale are we talking? Hours? Days? Weeks? Months?

Yuki Akuma
Apr 9, 2007
So, hey guys. This seems to be the Unknown Armies thread, so... I got Unknown Armies about a week ago and I've decided to run a one-shot that might possibly blossom into a full campaign if my players are interested. Who knows.

I'm making pregens for them, because none of them have played UA before or even have the book. The plot is a "kids discover some supernatural poo poo going down and work to solve it" sort of deal. What sort of stats should a kid protagonist have? Should I just give them standard starting character stats, or lower them?

They're going to have some help from a few adults (unless things go very bad) but the climax is going to be centered entirely around them. The supernatural poo poo is a werewolf (or possibly a weredog).

Also, any tips for running UA?

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

Yuki Akuma posted:

So, hey guys. This seems to be the Unknown Armies thread, so... I got Unknown Armies about a week ago and I've decided to run a one-shot that might possibly blossom into a full campaign if my players are interested. Who knows.

I'm making pregens for them, because none of them have played UA before or even have the book. The plot is a "kids discover some supernatural poo poo going down and work to solve it" sort of deal. What sort of stats should a kid protagonist have? Should I just give them standard starting character stats, or lower them?

They're going to have some help from a few adults (unless things go very bad) but the climax is going to be centered entirely around them. The supernatural poo poo is a werewolf (or possibly a weredog).

Also, any tips for running UA?

Character stats in Unknown Armies are low enough that failure happens a lot. I'd be wary about lowering the stats much more than the recommended default.

Having the climax be a werewolf seems like kind of a waste of what makes UA special. UA is all about symbolic weirdness and the hosed-up side of the modern world, not retreading horror tropes you and your players will definitely have seen before. If you have a cool twist on it or just really like werewolves, go for it, but keep in mind that you'll be missing out on a chance to sell to your players what really makes UA special.

Having the characters be kids also cuts off a lot of potential Adept schools, most of which require the player to have some serious independent agency to go chase down charges (or get hammered). That said, the idea of a 12-year-old Plutomancer in a little tailored suit is pretty funny, so I guess that works too.

I'd recommend looking at some of the prewritten adventures (the sourcebook... Hush, I think? has a bunch of them) to get a better sense of what UA is really about. UA has the best published adventures for any game, ever.

Yuki Akuma
Apr 9, 2007
It's gonna be street level - none of the PCs know much, if anything, about magick. I wanted to use a werewolf because the whole "retroactive" nature of their transformations strikes me as a pretty good way to set up a mystery, and it also introduces the characters to the idea of demonic possession.

If the game becomes a full campaign I'm going to be jumping ahead a few years each session until the characters are adults. I just like stories about children finding out the world is even weirder than they thought, and then seeing the repercussions later in their lives.

I'll definitely track down some of the official prewritten adventures! Thanks for the tips.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

One of the more important things to remember is that UA is designed around the idea of "don't roll the dice unless there's an actual consequence for failure". If a character isn't under pressure and/or failure won't have a real immediate consequence, then the character just does it.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Evil Mastermind posted:

One of the more important things to remember is that UA is designed around the idea of "don't roll the dice unless there's an actual consequence for failure". If a character isn't under pressure and/or failure won't have a real immediate consequence, then the character just does it.

In fact, the single most important/misunderstood rule in the book is probably the minor/significant/major skill check split. Write that poo poo down, because you're going to have a fuckload of whiffs otherwise.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is there any news about the rumored third edition of UA? That game is amazing but the rules are not very good (sanity system being the amazing exception)

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
The *balance* of some of the powers isn't good, but I would strongly disagree that the core mechanics are bad.

Your best source for UA3 rules is probably Stolze's twitter at this point.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

inklesspen posted:

Ah! I overlooked that on the first time through because it looked like more setting stuff. After filing off the setting serial numbers, it looks like the three suggestions there are "courtly intrigue using companies instead of PCs", "underworld thieves doing a heist", and "poo poo let's be pirates". I guess that's helpful?

What about those of you who have played REIGN? What sort of campaigns did you play?

inklesspen posted:

Well, I only have Enchiridion, which is setting-less. I'm looking at building something out of Final Fantasy XII's Ivalice, which has this whole "clans" setting thing that should be pretty easy to use for companies. At which point I basically just have to make sure the PCs have actual goals instead of being shlubs who meet in a tavern, then see who those goals run up against.

Squidster posted:

I think Greg - awesome dude as he is - is a Big Ideas and a Wild Storyteller guy, and isn't always good at expressing the kind of games you can actually run with his rules. Better Angels, Unknown Armies, Reign - they're all fantastic, jammed full of wonderful ideas, but what do I do with them? He's not great at providing onramps for newcomers.

I was going to write a long winding rant that culminated in a reveal, but that required too much effort and frankly, I was going to be an rear end in a top hat about it on purpose. Instead, I'll just say it: Game of Thrones is basically a REIGN game.

Organizations are characters, but the actions of the key personnel definitely matter

Nations fight for power, they don't pick sides in a football match between Good and Evil

Magic is big, and a part of why the setting is the way it is, but it's not just lying around everywhere

Magic is transformative in more ways than one

Characters are not superheroes, but a skilled, well-equipped warrior is a real terror

There is a lost civilization, but it was an empire that had its capitol wrecked by a natural disaster, not a magitech utopia destroyed by the wrath of the gods

This fits everything about REIGN, even down to the way the rules for fighting and magic work in practice. I'm not saying you should base your game on GoT or even look to it for inspirations, necessarily, and of course there are a lot of problematic elements in it. But there's a TV show that aligns almost perfectly with REIGN and six million people watch it every week, which is just one of the reasons I do not get this "But what do I do with it" line applied to REIGN. There have been a plenty of RPG settings that failed to be accessible to the players or their characters because, for example, only godlike NPCs matter, or the culture is too intricate, or there are no unstable points of conflict, or the author clutches the setting to their chest like a precious baby duckling, but REIGN is not any of these things.

Here is Stolze on his game:

quote:

Anyhow, REIGN. World War II was never particularly my bag, and though it’s been a swell setting for GODLIKE, I knew that writing tons of support for it would entail tons of research that, while entrancing to many history buffs, would leave me personally glazed and unresponsive. So I turned the ORE to a fantasy setting I’d been contemplating for years (which is, at this stage, nameless). Yeah, every jerk and his nephew has a fantasy setting, but what can I say? Just being able to make stuff up without worrying about some Internet historian calling your bluff (“the Third Reich didn’t have Xerox machines, you cement-head!”) is tremendously freeing.

Besides, in gaming fantasy is by far the biggest pie, so if you’ve got to cut a slice from something, why not? But that really makes me sound mercenary, and like I’m thinking with an unaccustomed degree of business acumen. Really, I went fantasy ‘cause I’m bent that way.

The setting in REIGN is an attempt to do something new (because if it’s got nothing new to contribute, why bother?) and therefore, inevitably, a reaction against a number of trends typical of fantasy game settings.

First off, there’s the whole ‘fantasy race’ thing. Elves in particular get my goat. What’s an elf if not a human being only wiser and prettier and generally better? Tolkien’s great, but The Lord of the Rings seems, from my jaundiced American perspective, to be steeped in British class consciousness. The elves are clearly the upper class – purer, nobler, and dying off. Then there’s the orcs.

Orcs in fantasy games serve a pretty low purpose: They’re there for the characters to beat on without much in the way of repercussion. Most of the time, they aren’t even tough. Because they’re Pure Evil From Birth, there’s no need to get involved in the complexities of talking to them or trying to understand them. Just hew with the broadaxe and go, go, go.

My problem with this is that I don’t believe in Pure Evil From Birth and I think that the complexities of talking are often very interesting indeed. So REIGN has no orcs, no elves, no pointy-eared sprites. Instead of fantasy races, I built racial races. The people with dark skin may think the people with white skin are Pure Evil From Birth, but trust me, whitey don’t see it that way. If you’re going to go to war in REIGN, it’s not because the other guy is trying to destroy the world, but because you’ve got land and he wants it. Or vice versa.

That leads to reaction #2, which is against saving the world. When, in recorded human history, has a small band of misfits ever saved the world? From anything? I can think of one time, and that’s it. But in games (and in a lot of fantasy literature) the heroes wind up saving the world over and over and over again. That’s fine, it’s a good plot but, from my perspective, done to death. Once you save the world, what do you do for an encore? Save it again, only more perilously I guess, but I find that kind of thing has a diminishing return. So I built a world that can take care of itself, where powerful characters would have to find something better (or, at least, different) to do.

In the same spirit, there’s no divine intervention in REIGN. No goddess of purity is going to come down and lay a geas on your character, thereby kicking off the campaign. You get to decide what your character does and why. It’s more work, but it also lets the players decide what’s right and wrong, instead of having the GM (speaking through Good and Evil deities) baldly tell you. I’m a sucker for moral dilemmas, and having embodied moral absolutes – particularly ones that a poor GM can use to smite you when you don’t do what he wants, or that can float in to save your bacon no matter how poor your decisions – it just robs a game of some punch. For the stories in REIGN, no one is more important than the characters.

The question naturally arises: Without gods telling you to save the world, what do characters in this fantasy world do? The answer, built in from day one, is that they gain authority. Typical fantasy game characters have lots of power, mighty spells, puissant battle skills, wealth beyond measure and so forth. But besides a few lackeys and camp followers, they don’t have any authority. Like old west gunfighters, or ronin samurai, they wander around having adventures.

As with the “gods send you to save the world” framework, that’s fine and you can do some really top notch games there. But I don’t think it’s the only idea worth playing on. REIGN is about, well, reigning. Your characters come to be in charge of something – a pirate fleet, a religion, a trade guild, an army or even a nation – and while their individual actions are important (even critical, at some points) the group can take meaningful action above and beyond what the characters do. Instead of saving the world and then riding away, the characters’ duties are to take care of it. Or at least, the little corner they’ve claimed.

You can run REIGN in wandering-badass mode and it works fine for that. But what it’s built to do is take the game up a level from history’s footnotes into its chapter headings.

I ran REIGN for several months, and overall it went well. I’ve got over a hundred thousand words written for it, which makes it particularly galling that there’s no publisher. But hope springs eternal.
I just don't get it. Are you waiting for REIGN to go "Look, there are some orcs, go kill them, there's a prize?"

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
To be fair, the best game of Reign I've had we were -technically- wandering murderhobos. It's just we were the captains of a band of wandering murderhobos as not-Condotierri in Not-Reniassance italy, running protection rackets on whole cities. "Nice Canals you've got there, Not-Venice, be a shame if something were to happen to them."

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm not saying you should base your game on GoT or even look to it for inspirations, necessarily, and of course there are a lot of problematic elements in it. But there's a TV show that aligns almost perfectly with REIGN and six million people watch it every week, which is just one of the reasons I do not get this "But what do I do with it" line applied to REIGN.

Well, in my case, I do not watch GoT. (Because I watched the first two episodes, decided "this show will be about every character I like suffering horribly before being allowed to die", and decided to do something else with my time. YMMV.)

Halloween Jack posted:

I just don't get it. Are you waiting for REIGN to go "Look, there are some orcs, go kill them, there's a prize?"

Absolutely not! I was deliberately asking for examples of what people have done in REIGN because I know Murderhobos Inc is not what it's meant for.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I should have said that I didn't mean "you" and in you, inklesspen specifically; I didn't mean to be a condescending jerk. I also forgot that you had said you are working with the REIGN Enchiridion, so you don't have the setting chapters with the accompanying story hooks. If anything, I was responding to Squidsters post--I don't know about Better Angels, but the Heluso & Milonda setting is full of hooks.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

I had a successful REIGN game where the party played the Queen and her immediate advisors. There was a little D&D style adventuring, but it was quite centered on parties, diplomatic missions, and children as political pawns.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Any Enchiridion-only owners (and others obviously) might want to check out the free Nain supplement.

Also a band of mercenaries counts as a company, if you want to start somewhere familiar. There's just an assumption that you will want to become something more, and mechanical support for advancement beyond "get bigger sword, hit harder"

e: or a roving band of curse solution delivery experts or a troupe of mystery solving minstrels or what have you. The point is you don't have to jump straight in at the company deep end on session 1.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:14 on May 6, 2014

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
I would thoroughly recommend "You run a small, poo poo, failing border town" as a start for Company play. Apparently people love to acquire wealth for towns when they're the ones that benefit.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
That's exactly what I would do. In the context of H&M (ha!) especially, it allows for some mixed-bag PC groups. The concept works great for an Imperial retinue.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
How does magic really work in play in Reign? Like, the big siege spells and poo poo like creating lightning storms or anything designed to wreck ships/buildings? Some of the effects just seem really powerful, especially when there's a modifier to keep Eerie from detecting it during the cast time.

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009

inklesspen posted:

I was deliberately asking for examples of what people have done in REIGN because I know Murderhobos Inc is not what it's meant for.

I ran a Reign game for a few months where the players were settling in a small town that had sprung up on the edge of Truil territory to excavate valuable ruins from a forgotten Dindavaran clan (Splicer was in it as a big beardy horse trader). They had to find a good claim, set their followers to digging, come to uneasy truces with the power groups in town, choose whether to trust the native Truils or just kill them, hunt a darkland creature disrupting the excavation, take on a group of slimey claim jumpers trying to steal their riches, and overall just try to become rich.

The advantage of running it in Reign was that it was easy to represent the different capabilities of the power groups in town. Also I really like the mechanics: The characters in it feel exactly as hardy and capable as the stories I wanna tell. A dedicated warrior is deadly and can rip a foe apart, but an arrow through the eye and he's done for, so it still pays to seek out talky options (which the group did even more than I expected!). Also the setting came with ready made national tensions which worked well for this idea.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Splicer posted:

e: or a roving band of curse solution delivery experts or a troupe of mystery solving minstrels or what have you. The point is you don't have to jump straight in at the company deep end on session 1.

Back when Reign was the new hotness and I was bored I whipped up a series of pregenerated characters who were essentially a group of assassins, mercenaries, and assorted ne'r-do-wells who masqueraded as a roaming troupe of performers. I don't even know what happened to the file I had it stored on as it was a couple laptops ago but I remember there was a pair of acrobatic twins who used that one martial art designed for two people fighting in tandem, a flame dancer, a jester with the esoteric discipline that basically let you paralyze someone with laughter...one thing I really like about Reign is that it strikes a good balance between breadth of character options and not feeling super bogged down with a million options all over the place.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
You know, a pretty cool way to do a werewolf story in UA would be to have a Personamancer using Mask of the Beast to help his cult of loser otherkin 'get in touch with their spirit animal'

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
If you are going to Gencon, you can play in a game run by Mr. Stolze http://gencon.highprogrammer.com/gencon-indy-2014.cgi/group/Arc_Dream_Publishing/Greg_Stolze

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Want to playtest the new campaign for Better Angels? Here's your chance: http://arcdream.com/home/2014/05/no-soul-left-behind-playtesters-needed-for-better-angels/

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I just read Tim Powers' "On Stranger Tides" and several times I thought "oh, I get how magic in Unknown Armies is supposed to work now!" It seemed like it broke my lingering feeling of "these spells are way too situational, where's my fireballs?" After seeing Powers referred to as an influence so often, I couldn't help backreading street/global/cosmic characters, otherspaces, obsession and taboo, etc onto his writing.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

If you haven't read Last Call yet; do so. It's basically a fight for Godwalker status, and probably the most obvious Powers influence on UA's mechanics.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Xand_Man posted:

If you haven't read Last Call yet; do so. It's basically a fight for Godwalker status, and probably the most obvious Powers influence on UA's mechanics.

Yeah, the first time I heard about UA, I thought it might have even been a collaboration/spinoff of Last Call. Broadly, I think Power and Stolze have a very similar approach to the modern fantasy/urban magic setting. Certainly in terms of mood and the damage that all the weird stuff does to the people around it.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?

Xand_Man posted:

Yeah the other two books in that series, Expiration Date and Earth Quake Weather, are all very UA. I think I actually started reading Powers after getting the UA book. Honestly I'm a fan of Stolze just for recommending me to who has become my favorite author.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Earthquake Weather is fun because it's after Expiration Date and Last Call and all the main characters clearly took levels in Occult-Aware Badass after the events of their own books.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
For that matter, the Fault Lines trilogy as a whole can be seen as a transition across all three tiers. In Last Call, the protagonists start off almost completely unaware of magic and the occult except for Ozzie, who still doesn't know much. Street level. In Expiration Date, most of the protagonists have occult knowledge at the beginning but are still somewhat unaware of the players. Global level. Finally, in Earthquake Weather, everyone except the viewpoint character knows enough about the occult to be a player and the stakes are even higher. Cosmic level.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
This came up in the June chat thread: Can anyone expound on the design strengths and weaknesses of Godlike and Wild Talents? Godlike and Reign always seemed kind of rock-papers-scissorsish based on who has what ability, but that never seemed out of place to me for either setting.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Godlike I am less familiar with but Wild Talents can be easily summed up:

Strengths:

With only a little bit of experience, it's very easy to make just about any power you could ever imagine

Weaknesses:

With only a little bit of experience, it's very easy to snap the game over your knee like a parapalegic Batman. Character point totals go out the window, game balance is lost in a whirlwind of nonsensically powerful uber abilities and any semblance of law and order is lost. The only way you can run Wild Talents for people experienced in the system, I feel, is to completely ignore point totals and have a frank discussion with your players about exactly what kind of game is being run and what powers are suitable for it. WT has the problem that cool, thematic powers that do interesting things and have drawbacks are almost inevitably more expensive than the ability to kill everyone on the planet. It also has the famous "here is a power to turn the Sun off permanently for 42 points per dice" sidebar, which means that anyone in a 200 point or more game can do it.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Doodmons posted:

With only a little bit of experience, it's very easy to snap the game over your knee like a parapalegic Batman. Character point totals go out the window ... WT has the problem that cool, thematic powers that do interesting things and have drawbacks are almost inevitably more expensive than the ability to kill everyone on the planet.

Yeah, I alluded to this in the chat thread, but my only attempt at running WT died on the vine during character creation largely for this reason. We were doing a Read or Die-inspired campaign, so everyone would have either a single or small suite of tightly themed powers, and it became immediately obvious that The Color ("I can instantly change the color and opacity of any substance", invisibility and blindness being just the most obvious tricks) was costing a lot more than the super-science gun-bunny (a supersoldier clone of Charles Darwin, codename The Perfect Specimen) whose devolver ray was just basically ten hard dice of a stun effect, which then got flawed down with things like being in a gun that needed to be reloaded.

To be fair, I suspect this is less a problem specific to WT than just inherent in the idea of point-buy effects-based power creation, unless HERO has ways to avoid this I've never heard about.

Oh hey, I actually have another ORE thing to post about! My regular group is going through an OSR phase, and while I am not at all interested in any relative of D20, I have been kind of idly curious about The Dungeon As Mythic Underworld and all that other stuff OSR blogs make sound cool that always seems to boil down to "that was weird, well, how many of us are still alive and how much is the treasure worth?" once it gets refracted through the D&D prism, and I've been wanting to try out Reign forever.

I'm toying with a Reign setup where dungeon entrances occasionally burst forth from the earth like evil tumors, and the richest men hire the foolhardiest men to go in and bring back whatever strangeness they can sell, exploit, or reverse engineer. Kind of Stalker meets Ken Hite's concept of D&D as mining company. So in this setting the obvious Companies would be the merchant and/or adventurer guilds staking out dungeon claims. I was wondering if it'd make sense to handle The Megadungeon itself as a Company, to map its spread over the land and such.

I can't quite decide if it'd be a better starting hook to have the PCs start as pro delvers (either running their own small startup or being part of one of the larger ones), or if I should have a dungeon open up near or inside some podunk village and the PCs are all locals with the town as their Company (bonus points for being able to replace dead PCs with friends and family). The one-roll character creation would hopefully be a decent method to quickly replace dead delvers, and the one-roll monsters from Nain would help me stock the dungeons. I could use a good random dungeon creator, but I do have the AD&D1 DMG around so there must be something in there.

Parkreiner fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 19, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

What you have to remember about WT is that's not a game where you make tradional-style "superheroes" or people with one moderately strong power. It's basically about seeing what happens when there's no limit on what a person can do.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

What you have to remember about WT is that's not a game where you make tradional-style "superheroes" or people with one moderately strong power. It's basically about seeing what happens when there's no limit on what a person can do.

...not really? Wild Talents the setting and Progenitor go that way, but Grim War and Kerberos Club seem to disagree. eCollapse too.

Parkreiner fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 19, 2014

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
I would just like to chime in and say that a Read or Die-style game sounds amazingly fun and is something I should look into running. Thanks for reminding me that show existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So, full Unknow Armies library up at http://bundleofholding.com/index/current for 20$.

In case you haven't had the pleasure to read UA, this is great news. UA is incredible. You might never, ever play it, but you will certainly want to play it really bad.

There's a website somewhere that lets you buy feelings. Last week they had a bundle sale and I got four feelings for just under 5$: regret, sadness, schadenfreude and 'a spoon of your favorite ice cream flavor'. I wish I hadn't, but I'd like you to try it and tell me your results.

Hugoon Chavez fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jul 9, 2014