Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

One of my husband's coworkers is moving out of the country so this little guy is coming to live with us. :3 I'm excited, both to meet him, and to have some company for Huxley (caged separately at first, of course).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

a bird in the hand etc etc

e:

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 16, 2014

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
So Sweet :3:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

:respek:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

e:

I hope Inko is half as good a bird as Ama is someday :3:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

They are so cuuuute. :kimchi:

I sort of had one of those lovely potatoes just now - I was rubbing some conditioning oil into my hair so Pookie thought I was being a selfish preener and demanded cuddles. Being as my hands were covered in hair oil I could not immediately respond, so she huffily jumped off the table and planted herself in my lap, where she stood on one foot and beak-crunched until I was free to attend to her quills :3:

The quills have been addressed as far as possible for tonight, so the huffy parrot has been put to bed after drinking her cup of tea and getting her bedtime kisses.

Boodge Bum
Apr 22, 2005

Deoderant plus ruptured bumgrapes does not equal freshness. Just burning agony.
Oh my goodness these conures!

I visited uglynoodles, Iro and Chilly yesterday. Chilly is Chuffy's sister, and they're crazy similar. They're basically palette-swaps of one-another. I love seeing how differently she acts, though. She grew up around Gooblin and Garrus whereas Chuffy just hung out with me, so they have hella different personalities. I'm so glad she's doing well.

Iro hopped onto my shoulder, shuffled up along it and snuggled up next to my face. So it seems like she remembers me from Christmas, which is good seeing as I'm bird-sitting her again soon.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
I took this for the Pose a Pet "Up Close and Personal" contest. I thought you all would enjoy it.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

I CAN SEE... EVERYTHING...

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Good news. Gunter flew onto me, and is now snuggling and grooming me again. All it took was me wearing my leather driving gloves to show her that my hands aren't evil. I am so happy.

Chicken in Black
May 22, 2005

So lovely

Sociopastry posted:

So Tokyo's been very verbal lately, pretty much always after I come back after being gone. I'm worried that she's lonely, because she only seems to talk this much after I've been gone. I want to get her a buddy. What I'm wondering is if it has to be another budgie, or if I can get her a non budge buddy to share her cage? I don't want them to bully each other at all. I'd really like to have a lovebird, like my mom used to have. I remember that he was the sweetest little thing. Is there any reason I should just stick to one kind of bird?

I decided that I needed to get Boo a friend after Q died, so I bought her a budgie, a young male named Buzz. Boo is fascinated by Buzz, but they don't share a cage. I would be very hesitant to let them share one, both are high energy, noisy, intense little monsters. You can see how similar in size they are, but lovebirds are stronger, more heavily built, and more aggressive. They behave differently enough that it can lead to trouble, Boo does the lovebird "oh hey, I love you so much I'm gonna smash you flat with LOVE!" and freight train Buzz, who is trying to do happy budgie headbobs and noises in the face of oncoming disaster. Boo loves interacting with Buzz, but will pick my attention over Buzz everytime, which is awwww.

Boo could really hurt Buzz without much trying, because her beak is so much stronger than a budgie's and lovebirds seem driven to go for feet. It wasn't such a big deal with a sturdy old cockatiel, but budgies have such delicate little feet that I'm always concerned about a bad bite (or worse, amputation) that wasn't really the goal but just overly rambunctious lovebird attention. Buzz plays with Boo for a while but seems overwhelmed by her after a short time, but really I could see that being that case with most lovebird interactions.

Pip pip pip posted:

Edit: Are there any central NY bird crazies? Do you know of cool parrot supply stores in the Binghamton/Utica/Syracuse area or do you just buy stuff online? I've been buying from mysafebirdstore since we moved here but I miss visiting a physical location.

I'm in CNY, and agree with Tasty_Crayon, for specialty bird stuff if you can go to Birds Unlimited, in Webster, just east of Rochester. Someday I want to go to this place, near Albany, but that's even farther to go than Rochester: http://www.rensselaerbirdcenter.com/

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

New feathers in the house. :3 He didn't really have a name before so naming him falls to us. We haven't decided yet, but he's already so friendly! Huxley in the background trying to see what's going on and what is that thing.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Grrl Anachronism posted:

New feathers in the house. :3 He didn't really have a name before so naming him falls to us. We haven't decided yet, but he's already so friendly! Huxley in the background trying to see what's going on and what is that thing.

Bradbury, to stick with "authors of dystopias" as a theme?

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

LivesInGrey posted:

Bradbury, to stick with "authors of dystopias" as a theme?

It was my husband's turn, so he settled on Ellison. (I was totally pulling for Bradbury)

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I don;t want bird chatter.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

But... then how will we know who is a good girl cracker hello kisskiss shut up poo poo?

Jinxie Monroe
Apr 9, 2007

No really.
Thank you.
I realized that I hadn't taken Cilantro outside yet this year and never showed him where all his grapevine perches come from. I don't think I've ever seen this bird so happy.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

The number of budgies has only doubled, but the number of 'really proud of myself' adorable head-bob dances has increased exponentially. :kimchi:

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
We don't seem to have an ornithology thread anywhere that I can find so I hope you folks are the best place to ask. I live in a dense apartment block type neighborhood that has lots of trees and small parks and ponds and such nearby, but we have almost no birds other than gulls. I imagine the reason for that is the large population of stray cats. My neighbors and I on the third floor of our building have been thinking about hanging feeders from our balcony to attract songbirds back to the area but we're concerned that even having them up in the air will still just be giving the local strays a murder buffet when the little birdies land to forage. Ideally we'd like the strays controlled but our city's animal control has been hopeless; every visit ends with, "We found nothing."

Would giving a free lunch to local songbirds be a good idea or the debut of a slaughter?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
The birding thread in The Dorkroom might be the closest thing: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3171184

That said, I can answer it here: if you have hanging feeders that make it impossible for the cats to get to you should be ok.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Oh thank you, that would be a good place to ask. I guess if they were really hungry they could try climbing up a nearby tree and jumping on the balcony but these are well fed cats. Cats seem to kill more for entertainment than food, they'd probably be way to lazy to scale a tree.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
There is a birding thread in Ask/Tell. You want to consider a few things when placing a bird feeder. There should be cover (trees/bushes) within about 10 feet of the feeder. This will give the birds shelter if there is a predator near by, and will give the birds a place to rest between trips to the feeder. If the cats are unable to get to your balcony, I think it should be okay.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Staryberry posted:

There is a birding thread in Ask/Tell. You want to consider a few things when placing a bird feeder. There should be cover (trees/bushes) within about 10 feet of the feeder. This will give the birds shelter if there is a predator near by, and will give the birds a place to rest between trips to the feeder. If the cats are unable to get to your balcony, I think it should be okay.

Nearly every balcony has a tree growing right next to it. Most of us have to trim back branches every few years or they'd end up in our apartments.

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010
One of these things is not like the others....

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

Lenswork posted:

One of these things is not like the others....

Be careful, my friends grey got bird flu from chickens :(

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Just gunna leave this here for y'all

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

:kimchi: Tokyo's started preening me when I let her out of the cage. She got a bit mad at me because I chopped off all my hair again, but she eventually got over it an sat on my shoulder twittering so sweetly and nibbling on my ear. :kimchi:

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

SaNChEzZ posted:

Just gunna leave this here for y'all

I like to interpret this as him putting his head down for scratches ~so hard~ that he just tumbles forward completely.

My elder tiel actually makes an audible 'thwump' noise when he feels cuddly. Puts his head down so hard he bonks it into whatever he is standing on.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
So a friend of mine just had a birthday and they have a bird. They love that bird. I wanna get that bird a toy. I think it is a Cockatiel, suggestions?

Boodge Bum
Apr 22, 2005

Deoderant plus ruptured bumgrapes does not equal freshness. Just burning agony.

Sociopastry posted:

:kimchi: Tokyo's started preening me when I let her out of the cage. She got a bit mad at me because I chopped off all my hair again, but she eventually got over it an sat on my shoulder twittering so sweetly and nibbling on my ear. :kimchi:

That's awesome! Sounds like you're getting along great.

Herr Tog posted:

So a friend of mine just had a birthday and they have a bird. They love that bird. I wanna get that bird a toy. I think it is a Cockatiel, suggestions?

Something with bells on. As many bells as possible.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Boodge Bum posted:

Something with bells on. As many bells as possible.

And shreddy bits.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Seconding the shreddy bits. My tiels have no interest in bells whatsoever but YMMV obviously.

The thing that they loved the most was this: http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/product.cgi?group=2252&product=16630

If you check my post history in here, my lady tiel was so smitten by it that she just quietly stood on it for a few days, utterly motionless.

Then one day, I come back and the whole thing was trashed, it looked like a mob hit.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Chili posted:

Seconding the shreddy bits. My tiels have no interest in bells whatsoever but YMMV obviously.

The thing that they loved the most was this: http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/product.cgi?group=2252&product=16630

If you check my post history in here, my lady tiel was so smitten by it that she just quietly stood on it for a few days, utterly motionless.

Then one day, I come back and the whole thing was trashed, it looked like a mob hit.

I'm trying to find toys that Babs might pay attention to to enrich her experience beyond just being cranky at everyone. Would that be large enough for an amazon to get down on, or are they too big for it?

For reference, Babs ignores virtually everything that isn't food. She has a few apple wood perch things in her cage that she uses but that's about it. She has a bell toy that she completely ignores and seems to ignore anything else we put in her cage, unless she actively avoids the intruder.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

How can I get Huxley and Ellison to get more fresh things in their diet? I've tried what seems like dozens of fruits and vegetables, offering from my hand like I would a treat, or in the treat clip each has in their cage, or mixed with a little of their food, and they seem totally uninterested, no matter what bright enticing colour it is. I always try and show them it's food and eat a little myself before offering them a piece, but no dice. Any suggestions? I just want them to be healthy and happy!

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Grrl Anachronism posted:

How can I get Huxley and Ellison to get more fresh things in their diet? I've tried what seems like dozens of fruits and vegetables, offering from my hand like I would a treat, or in the treat clip each has in their cage, or mixed with a little of their food, and they seem totally uninterested, no matter what bright enticing colour it is. I always try and show them it's food and eat a little myself before offering them a piece, but no dice. Any suggestions? I just want them to be healthy and happy!

Starve em a little. Seriously. Works on three year old kids (well all we have is broccoli and no mac n cheese so eat up) and also works on birds. If they're only accustomed to eating one thing, they'll just keep on eating it even in the presence of other things just out of habit. If all they have is fresh veg for a few meals in a row and you encourage them and show them it's good, they'll probably give it a try and may even decide to like it.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

Also pretend that they can't have any it is NOT FOR BIRDS oh man I have to put my plate down while I go into the kitchen DONT YOU DARE TOUCH IT YOU GUYS

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
THANK YOU BIRD THREAD <3

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Grrl Anachronism posted:

Roll it in some seeds so they have to pick the seeds off, and get a taste of the fruit/veg at the same time. Also, patience-it took Steve months before he'd regularly start picking at the food he got every day in his fresh food bowl (but then he is a cockatiel and cockatiels, as we all know, are special)

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
I just kept giving them broccoli and carrots. Now they wait by the broccoli dish every morning, from as soon as they wake up until they get it, and then they go hog wild and just mash their faces into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Amadeus just powered his little clipped wings into the bathroom after me, freaked out when he realized it was actually my boyfriend in there, and furiously motored back out to collide with me as I stepped out of the bedroom. :v: