Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Like all of these. The turquoise in the first ones is good and I especially like the tones you got in the B&W.

Great clouds!

Here are a few from today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

DSC_0355 by jpitha, on Flickr

DSC_0360 by jpitha, on Flickr

DSC_0377 by jpitha, on Flickr

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

VomitOnLino posted:

Saw some dented mirror thing ...

These are really cool.

8th-snype posted:

Quick poll, does this color treatment suck or not? I think my laptop screen needs calibrating but can't be sure.

The blacks of the hedge are pretty strong, but I think they're fine. I'm not sure if I like the first or third one better, but I like em a lot.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Lan Su Gardens, Portland by Ashade76, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Bugis, 2014 by alkanphel, on Flickr

Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008
Bridge by Jenseales, on Flickr

Valley by Jenseales, on Flickr

Aerial by Jenseales, on Flickr

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Untitled by Dev Luns, on Flickr

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Thanks, lime!

Frozen Lake by rstop bstop, on Flickr
Vantage Point by rstop bstop, on Flickr

I'd really appreciate any thoughts on the colours, especially the skies -- I'm experimenting with colour profiles and scanned these as ProPhoto RGB.

[edit: Turd Nelson, pootiebigwang, those B&W shots are fantastic.

rohan fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 20, 2014

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Baron Dirigible posted:

Thanks, lime!

Frozen Lake by rstop bstop, on Flickr

Vantage Point by rstop bstop, on Flickr

I'd really appreciate any thoughts on the colours, especially the skies -- I'm experimenting with colour profiles and scanned these as ProPhoto RGB.

[edit: Turd Nelson, pootiebigwang, those B&W shots are fantastic.

A little too purple on the first one, but whatever we're all going to die someday.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

LargeHadron posted:

A little too purple on the first one, but whatever we're all going to die someday.

"velvia" look. I kind of agree, its a bit too purple like expired velvia 50 that wasnt put in a freezer.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Shampoo posted:

DSC_0355 by jpitha, on Flickr

DSC_0360 by jpitha, on Flickr

DSC_0377 by jpitha, on Flickr

Been there! Don't remember what it was called. Did you get all the way down the rolling field and get some shots of the bay (ocean bay thing, not a geographer here)

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

Musket posted:

"velvia" look. I kind of agree, its a bit too purple like expired velvia 50 that wasnt put in a freezer.
Can I ask what you're using to view the images? I re-did the colours (edited copy is in the post) to follow some other critiques I got, and in the process learned that the iPad isn't actually colour-managed, so it was always going to be slightly off. What I have now looks alright on my (non-professionally calibrated, but acceptable) laptop, but still has a violet tinge in the sky on my iPad / iPhone.

Should I just give up and stick to sRGB?

[edit: I edit on my laptop, but use the iPad as a secondary monitor, as it's IPS and higher-res and all that.

[edit edit: as a compromise, is there any reason not to edit in ProPhoto, and then convert to sRGB before saving? That seems to solve the problem.

rohan fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 20, 2014

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Been there! Don't remember what it was called. Did you get all the way down the rolling field and get some shots of the bay (ocean bay thing, not a geographer here)

I did! It's the Castle Hill on the Crane Estate in Ipswitch MA. It was 2650 ft from the mansion down the lawn.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Baron Dirigible posted:

Can I ask what you're using to view the images? I re-did the colours (edited copy is in the post) to follow some other critiques I got, and in the process learned that the iPad isn't actually colour-managed, so it was always going to be slightly off. What I have now looks alright on my (non-professionally calibrated, but acceptable) laptop, but still has a violet tinge in the sky on my iPad / iPhone.

[edit: I edit on my laptop, but use the iPad as a secondary monitor, as it's IPS and higher-res and all that.

[edit edit: as a compromise, is there any reason not to edit in ProPhoto, and then convert to sRGB before saving? That seems to solve the problem.

Edit in whatever you want (some like ProPhoto or Adobe RGB) but convert the image to sRGB for anything that is going to be displayed on the web.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

Frame by rstop bstop, on Flickr

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Baron Dirigible posted:

Color corrected monitor. I wasnt thrown off by the color, it just felt expired velvia to me. I shoot raw and jpg in prophoto but upload shitrgb for web.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

La Gran Duna by Mijaeus, on Flickr

Aguas saladas by Mijaeus, on Flickr

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Gate by jkostashuk1, on Flickr

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

DSC05002
by LargeHadron, on Flickr

DSC04980
by LargeHadron, on Flickr

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

I love it.

I do wish there were more white space around the building though. I love how it's isolated around all that snow, and I'd like to see them emphasized a little more.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Free 72 oz. Steak by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

APD DWI Seizure by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Best Western by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Oh yeah baby!

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

I might be stretching the definition of "landscape" with this one, but I don't know where else to put it.

_DSC6787 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

IMG_5665 by s-bothun, on Flickr
IMG_5664 by s-bothun, on Flickr

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

Putrid Grin posted:

I might be stretching the definition of "landscape" with this one, but I don't know where else to put it.

_DSC6787 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

Have you been following this thread at all? Like, even casually?

Landscape = something that you took a picture of

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

LargeHadron posted:

Have you been following this thread at all? Like, even casually?

Landscape = something that you took a picture of

Only ones that don't have people in them, those go in the portrait thread

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Shampoo posted:

Only ones that don't have people in them, those go in the portrait thread

Accurate.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Inaccurate.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Please re-post that in Portrait thread :colbert:

Just kidding, I'd say as long as the actual subject isn't the people you're probably good!

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

It's a landscape of a portrait. Or maybe a landscape of a snapshot. But then again, there are backs of heads...so, maybe it's actually a street photo.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
hold up here you guys have this all wrong. landscape and portrait refer to the orientation of the frame (square frame is wildcard, can go in either thread).

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Was going through some older photos, and this one stood out to me. This was taken handheld on a borrowed camera before I really knew anything beyond "turn it to the green A and press button", but I'm still fairly happy with how it turned out.

wanghammer
Mar 24, 2001
DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH COCK I HAD TO SUCK TO GET THIS CUSTOM TITLE? A LOT!
Quick shot as the sun was going down at the lake over the weekend. Not much fishing done but the ice eventually did come off on Monday as we were packing up.

IMG_1383 by bighoits, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Dren posted:

hold up here you guys have this all wrong. landscape and portrait refer to the orientation of the frame (square frame is wildcard, can go in either thread).

:colbert:

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
Vertical Orientation. Shot with Portra. Sick portaits, bro.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

feigning interest posted:

Vertical Orientation. Shot with Portra. Sick portaits, bro.

That last one is Astia :eng101:

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

i assumed those were single frames from unstitched panoramas.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

MrBlandAverage posted:

That last one is Astia :eng101:

Still technically a portrait film

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

whaam fucked around with this message at 13:03 on May 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Broadway by g.hetzel, on Flickr

Cave Point by g.hetzel, on Flickr